Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, here's hoping Lily can make Dorian a more interesting character in Season 3.
Found an early preview for next season. Looks like they're still bent on their plans for world domination. Hell, they even kept their matching white outfits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvAYwpUDv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
This show would be perfect if it didn't have a habit of killing of interesting characters in the finale (like Van Helsing or Sembene or Madame Kali), introduced more characters from literature and built up a more mature supernatural world. I think a scene with say Dorian and the Witches talking about their master would have gone a long way showing that there was a much bigger world out there instead of having different bits and pieces disconnected and hidden away from society.

I liked this season but I think the first one still takes the cake. This whole second season had some really good moments but felt a bit unfocused since we had the scooby gang fluffing about London for 8 or 9 episodes before going on a half arsed raid where the team get completely outwitted by and only survive because Vanessa :words: the devil into :emo:

During the scene with Frankenstein being confronted by his creations, I was kind of disappointed that he didn't laugh manically and embrace 'science' by acknowledging that he was perfectly happy being an amoral monster. I absolutely loved how his initial response to Lily dumping him was to shoot her and when that didn't work, to shoot Dorian. I half expected him to go on the warpath and create another monster to solve the problem of the one before instead of leaving devastated and getting hooked on opium.

Still really good TV and I can't wait till next season to see what happens.

Tokubetsu posted:

Side Note: I know it ended with everyone on a boat but did anyone get the impression that Sir Malcom's end/farewall felt final? Like if Timothy Dalton doesn't really show up in s3 I won't be too surprised.

I think you could say the same for all the characters on a boat although I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Sir Malcolm. The show looks like a lot of fun to make, only takes a couple of months to film and it's not long Timothy Dalton has anything else better to do.

I think we'll definitely see a time skip and have everyone come back to deal with whatever crazy poo poo Lily/Dorian have been up to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I read an interview where John Logan said he really wants to do a riff on the Island of Doctor Moreau, so hopefully that'll happen next season.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was really hoping the puppet would turn into some monster or something, but nope. Like already mentioned I couldn't stop thinking about how much the puppet must hate Arec Barwin. This show is taking itself a bit too seriously at this point I think, with Lyle's flamboyance being just about the only bit of levity and even that is starting to feel awkward and overused.

Otherwise a decent finale and Helen McCrory was definitely the highlight of the season. A really solid performance. And Gothstein ending up in the North Pole was a nice nod too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tokubetsu posted:

I definitely think we're gonna get a handful of American scenes next season. Probably young witch tracks Ethan down or something to that effect. My guess is she shows up and one hand detective gets dragged into this supernatural world. I figured they woulda maybe do it in this finale but I feel confident it'll happen in s3. Especially with a supporting character like Sembene dead now.

I'm actually kind of anxious to see Ethan's father. I'm wondering if they'll delve deeper into who/what he is - perhaps his entire family is Loups-Garoux or something, and that's what Ethan was running from (though it seemed he wasn't ever sure what he was until Sembene witnessed his change). And it's almost *definite* that Hecate will track Ethan down, as she already believes she's seduced him to her cause/side. He's her 'in' with ~the Master~.

Lily's gonna be pissed when she sees her skin lose its color due to complete exsanguination, though. All Dorian has to do is take another gander at the painting and he's back to 100%. It's also a bit funny that Lily retained a 'human' color while Proteus and Caliban didn't. Supposedly they're all 'cold to the touch,' so it's a bit of poetic license that Lily stayed so beautiful for so long. Frankenstein might be an evil genius, but I doubt his process stops blood from clotting without body heat and a heart beat to keep it fluid.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, here's hoping Lily can make Dorian a more interesting character in Season 3.

3 seasons in, and his only reliable role is to turn an hour long show into a 45 minute show

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lily's gonna be pissed when she sees her skin lose its color due to complete exsanguination, though. All Dorian has to do is take another gander at the painting and he's back to 100%. It's also a bit funny that Lily retained a 'human' color while Proteus and Caliban didn't. Supposedly they're all 'cold to the touch,' so it's a bit of poetic license that Lily stayed so beautiful for so long. Frankenstein might be an evil genius, but I doubt his process stops blood from clotting without body heat and a heart beat to keep it fluid.

I got the impression that Frankenstein's skills improved as he created more children. Caliban was ice cold, Lily was merely cool and looked more human.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Didn't/doesn't Lily use make-up to make herself look more human? I seem to recall she was all pale and her eyes were all hosed up after she came back to life. Also for being a cold corpse guy, Caliban's breath is pretty visible frequently.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
In Victorian times women put a lot of effort into having pale skin.

Great episode. I really thought (hoped) Sembene was going to re-animate somehow on the ship.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read an interview where John Logan said he really wants to do a riff on the Island of Doctor Moreau, so hopefully that'll happen next season.

That sounds interesting. I wonder how they'd work it into the story? Ethan is a product of it? Malcolm encounters it on his trip? Maybe it'll have something to do with Dr. Frankenstein, assuming he loses it and goes insane with his creations?

Binary Logic posted:

I really thought (hoped) Sembene was going to re-animate somehow on the ship.

Next season premier. We can dream. :qq:

I feel like we didn't see him murder the gently caress out of enough monsters, or see enough character development before his untimely death. Now only Vanessa (across the world) and a crazy evil magic lady know Ethan's secret, which kind of sucks, after they spent time having him reveal it to Sembene, and them bonding over it (which also gave Sembene some of that much-needed character development)...only to have him die right after.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
God, what an amazing season finale. Lyle is quickly becoming my favorite character not just in PD, but in any tv show ever.

I was a little heart-broken at Vanessa's fantasy life with Ethan. It was so sugary sweet and light, that for just a single moment I wanted them to have that.

I was even more heart-broken when they showed Hartnett with a shaved head. That perfect bob! :cry:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Sumptuous, beautiful, tragic, horrific - all the things we expect from Penny Dreadful, and I look forward to seeing how they bring everyone back together in season 3. I am not happy that Sembene is dead, but this is Penny Dreadful and there's a dozen ways they could bring him back.

...I wonder if Victor will resurrect him in hopes of gaining an ally in the fight against Lily and Dorian, heh.

Speaking of Lily and Dorian: Goddamn, the whole scene where Victor shoots them, and the bloody waltz afterward. Beautiful. I do believe this is the first time Billie Piper has gotten to play a villain; she's clearly having a ball with it. And thank god the accent seems to be gone for good. I'll be interested in seeing what happens when Ethan recognizes her...

And, of course, Lyle. :allears: :swoon: That really was perfect. Well done, Lyle, well done. He makes every drat scene he's in gold. I'd update the thread title with his one-liner, but I can't edit the thread title on my post. Yes, please, show, more Lyle.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Remember that Sembene dropped some voodoo knowledge this season. I still believe :gbsmith:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Kudos to Vanessa for delivering a truly biblical "It's not you, it's me."

kimeeri
Mar 2, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm actually kind of anxious to see Ethan's father. I'm wondering if they'll delve deeper into who/what he is - perhaps his entire family is Loups-Garoux or something, and that's what Ethan was running from (though it seemed he wasn't ever sure what he was until Sembene witnessed his change).
Me too, Ethan's past has been popping up constantly and is still one of the show's most deepest secrets.

I feel that Dorian had too much going on and building up this season just for the role of Lily's partner in crime...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

kimeeri posted:

I feel that Dorian had too much going on and building up this season just for the role of Lily's partner in crime...

He'll get tired of her - getting tired of things is practically Dorian's defining character trait.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mouse Dresser posted:

I noticed it, too. I really thought that Sembene was going to reveal ~*~Good Vampire~*~ to Ethan after Ethan revealed his werewolfness. But here's hoping that Sembene is all right, he's one of the best characters on this show.
That's a ridiculous notion. Sir Malcolm is taking him home, to be buried in his native soil.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That's a ridiculous notion. Sir Malcolm is taking him home, to be buried in his native soil.

More than he did for his son. HEY-OH!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was pretty let down by the final confrontation between Vanessa and the puppet. For one, the puppet was just not menacing at all. It was hard not to laugh at what's essentially a more chatty, less stabby Chucky doll. Then the solution is to just yell at the thing in the Verbis Diablo, which they made a big point of saying would corrupt you to Satan's cause. Maybe her using it will have some ramifications next season, especially with Ethan leaving and all hope of a happy normal life vanishing. I just wish they had given Vanessa something more interesting to do. The sisters can turn into ugly naked things and hide in plain sight, Madame Kali can create puppets and exert control over people, Vanessa just yells real loud and looks scary.

Other than that showdown I thought the finale was pretty drat good, though depressing as all hell. I'm interested to see how they handle season three. Are we expecting everybody to reconvene in London? Or will Ethan and Malcom have their own issues to deal with while Dorian and Lily slowly take over London society? I can't imagine Vanessa or Victor will have much reason to interact with each other or Dorian/Lily, though my lack of imagination is probably why I'm not writing tv shows.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Inspector 34 posted:

I was pretty let down by the final confrontation between Vanessa and the puppet.

I literally fell out of my chair laughing at the confrontation. I had to pause it when the doll closed its eyes to kiss Vanessa; then again when Vanessa started growling at the doll because I was laughing so hard. Amazing scene.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Inspector 34 posted:

I was pretty let down by the final confrontation between Vanessa and the puppet. For one, the puppet was just not menacing at all. It was hard not to laugh at what's essentially a more chatty, less stabby Chucky doll. Then the solution is to just yell at the thing in the Verbis Diablo, which they made a big point of saying would corrupt you to Satan's cause. Maybe her using it will have some ramifications next season, especially with Ethan leaving and all hope of a happy normal life vanishing. I just wish they had given Vanessa something more interesting to do. The sisters can turn into ugly naked things and hide in plain sight, Madame Kali can create puppets and exert control over people, Vanessa just yells real loud and looks scary.

Other than that showdown I thought the finale was pretty drat good, though depressing as all hell. I'm interested to see how they handle season three. Are we expecting everybody to reconvene in London? Or will Ethan and Malcom have their own issues to deal with while Dorian and Lily slowly take over London society? I can't imagine Vanessa or Victor will have much reason to interact with each other or Dorian/Lily, though my lack of imagination is probably why I'm not writing tv shows.
The director has said that he's going to introduce another major monster (the Dr. Moreau thing?) and that season 3 will be a "change of pace" as they get out and away from Victorian London. I really doubt we're going to see episodes where every character is alone and the action moves between them constantly, but don't expect to see everyone playing bridge together.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm just in awe of how good these two seasons have been. The last line of the season finale is a complete tear jerker. I kept thinking we were possibly going to see a sequence ending with Ethan hanged - so at least that didn't happen.

I do have a question - what exactly did Dorian do to kill Angelique? I couldn't quite put that together on my first watch through.

Also, I'm really moved by the composition of the music in this series. Who is behind it or more importantly, what else have they done?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Just binged on both seasons. This was actually a hidden gem that had somehow passed under my radar. Thoughts:

-I'm not really understanding why Vanessa didn't instantly recognize the reborn Lily. She's the only woman who she had ever seen with Ethan; that wouldn't get dumped out of long-term recall.

-Caliban was just interminably boring throughout.

-"Hey, I'm going to rape/kill your girlfriend after breaking in while she's sleeping, scalp all your friends, and then kidnap you for America. You can't hurt me now though, because it would be rude." What.

-Finally, I would just like to comment that dolls are, in fact, loving terrifying and I'm glad somebody is acknowledging it.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 9, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Captain Log posted:

I do have a question - what exactly did Dorian do to kill Angelique? I couldn't quite put that together on my first watch through.

Poison. Dorian was immune because he stared at the painting right after (or I guess because he's just generally unkillable)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Poison. Dorian was immune because he stared at the painting right after (or I guess because he's just generally unkillable)

I'm guessing his wasn't poisoned. The painting not only gets more grotesque with every injury it heals, but with every life Dorian takes (if we're going by the book, too). That's probably why he was slightly taken aback when the portrait snapped to his eyes and *glared* at him after Angelique died.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You're thinking too much about it. Dorian waited until he got his answer, handed Angelique a glass, and then he fell over and died after taking a sip. Angelique even had the stereotypical 'I suddenly feel like something is wrong because I've been poisoned' face that literally every character who gets poisoned on TV does. There was a fakeout slightly earlier with Dorian gripping his scarf tighter, so that when he brought in the glasses and didn't have the scarf you would think that maybe he'd actually forgive Angelique for discovering his secret.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only thing that brought me out of the last episode was evil Mr. Putney talking about his fancy new piece of clothing that cost 20 shillings. Pre-decimal British currency worked like this: 12 pence a shilling, 20 shillings a pound. So his thing cost a pound and he should have used some of the 1890's slang for pound that existed. That's what I thought was unrealistic. Not the werewolf, or the witches, or the main characters who are re-animated corpses, that's what pissed me off. People are weird.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tirinal posted:

Just binged on both seasons. This was actually a hidden gem that had somehow passed under my radar. Thoughts:

-I'm not really understanding why Vanessa didn't instantly recognize the reborn Lily. She's the only woman who she had ever seen with Ethan; that wouldn't get dumped out of long-term recall.

-Caliban was just interminably boring throughout.

-"Hey, I'm going to rape/kill your girlfriend after breaking in while she's sleeping, scalp all your friends, and then kidnap you for America. You can't hurt me now though, because it would be rude." What.

-Finally, I would just like to comment that dolls are, in fact, loving terrifying and I'm glad somebody is acknowledging it.

I don't understand people dissing Friendzone, he's awesome & hilarious, one of the better characters currently on TV.

Speaking of the dolls, did anyone ever notice if any of the background ones looked like actual historical figures? I was too lazy to look myself but thought it would be a cool easter egg type thing and would actually fit with the witches backstory.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Is it just me in the the last episode did Vanessa use the puppet to reach down into the depths of hell and break Lucifer's neck?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sardikar posted:

Is it just me in the the last episode did Vanessa use the puppet to reach down into the depths of hell and break Lucifer's neck?

I don't think she 'killed' Lucifer, I think she just broke his connection to the living world by proving she was more powerful than he was (at least on our plane of existence).

They were chanting the same thing, so when ~The Master~ stopped chanting and started moaning, it was proof that he'd lost the 'duel.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 12, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So I've been catching up with this season and hit Memento Mori. Got to say I didn't see Billie Piper having as much of a range as she did; she's sort of up there with Eva Green in her monologue.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Am I the only one who thought it odd that Dorian took such a sudden turn for the super-villianish? I mean, it sorta fits for him that it's something new to entertain him, but it just seemed like a rapid change.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

10 Beers posted:

Am I the only one who thought it odd that Dorian took such a sudden turn for the super-villianish? I mean, it sorta fits for him that it's something new to entertain him, but it just seemed like a rapid change.

In teaming up with Lily? Dorian's portrait seems to suggest that he's been up to evil poo poo for awhile. It seems to me that Lily's megalomania merely emboldened Dorian's natural instincts, rather than caused any real change in his behavior or outlook.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

In teaming up with Lily? Dorian's portrait seems to suggest that he's been up to evil poo poo for awhile. It seems to me that Lily's megalomania merely emboldened Dorian's natural instincts, rather than caused any real change in his behavior or outlook.

And that he's finally found someone whom he can share his secret and eternity with. The dancing scene seems to reveal that Dorian's always seen mortal humans as little more than disposable playthings to make his immortality occasionally more bearable.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

So I've been catching up with this season and hit Memento Mori. Got to say I didn't see Billie Piper having as much of a range as she did; she's sort of up there with Eva Green in her monologue.

Yeah, I binged season 2 yesterday and agree with you, Billie Piper was awesome all the way! That scene with John Clare where she shared her true intentions was fantastic.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Frankenstein's face after failing to kill Dorian after already failing to kill Lilly was pretty funny.

I'm now just picturing Friendzone Frankenstein standing in a group of penguins huddling together for warmth, just looking as miserable as ever.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

AFewBricksShy posted:

Frankenstein's face after failing to kill Dorian after already failing to kill Lilly was pretty funny.

I'm now just picturing Friendzone Frankenstein standing in a group of penguins huddling together for warmth, just looking as miserable as ever.

Only if said penguins also had a steady supply of heroin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There are no penguins in the Arctic. He'll have to settle for a duplicitous romance with a blind polar bear.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

There are no penguins in the Arctic. He'll have to settle for a duplicitous romance with a blind polar bear.

Then kill it when he sees it cavorting with another polar bear.

"IS THERE NO SPECIES ON THIS PLANET CAPABLE OF MONOGAMY!?!?!"

There are also seals, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is he in the arctic or antartctic? I thought antarctic hence the penguins. I had also just watched the episode of Planet Earth with the penguins and the thought of Richard Attenboro narrating about a giant corpse moping around some emperor penguins was very amusing to me.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread