Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Noumu are supposed to be these dangerous killing machines, but it looks like you could just jam a finger in their exposed brain pretty easily.

Watch that actually be their weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Resident Evil logic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Noumu are supposed to be these dangerous killing machines, but it looks like you could just jam a finger in their exposed brain pretty easily.

Surprise! It turns out it's actually coral!

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Alternatively "ENGAGING KILL MODE". I know I'd do something like that for my not-so-autonomous super weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

If comics have taught me anything, it's that poking a superbeing's exposed brain is a good way to get your fingers melted or lasered off.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is going to be a good chapter.

The bar is a link. The bar is obviously a spoiler. Yes, already.
http://i.imgur.com/HKXmNpI.jpg

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Fabricated posted:

Can't tell if that's dramatic foreshortening or if it's really that big.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/374271

Here's the full chapter.

edit: Best part of the entire chapter:

http://i.imgur.com/YUaKOiP.png
He's beating a mother fucker with another mother fucker!

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 16, 2015

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So going off this chapter it seems like stain is able to paralyze someone after he has ingested their blood. Iida doesn't lose his movement until after Stain licks his blade and if memory serves, stain paralyzing Hand-man and shadow-bartender happens off screen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His saliva is paralytic is more likely.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, one thing I thought was a great touch was that Stain actually USED the spikes on his boots to kick/impale Iida's arm. They aren't just silly decoration. Also fuckin' OW.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I thought was a great touch was that Stain actually USED the spikes on his boots to kick/impale Iida's arm. They aren't just silly decoration. Also fuckin' OW.

I hope we find out what the chains used to lace up his boots are gonna be used for then. What a hilarious 90's design decision that was.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

With all these little speedball characters, I'd like to see a Fastball Special someday!

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Chapter 51.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stain laying some sick owns down on Iida.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While Iida probably won't die, I actually wonder whether or not this is the end of his career in heroics. Although healing quirks exist, there seems to be a damage ceiling and/or time frame past which they lose effectiveness, so Idia could conceivably be out a working arm. Alternatively, he could get expelled for vigilantism.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

While Iida probably won't die, I actually wonder whether or not this is the end of his career in heroics. Although healing quirks exist, there seems to be a damage ceiling and/or time frame past which they lose effectiveness, so Idia could conceivably be out a working arm. Alternatively, he could get expelled for vigilantism.

Maybe he could get a robot arm! :aaaaa:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Nah, I think he'll be fine. Getting a sword through the arm isn't nearly as bad as shattering all your bones/muscles like Midoriya has done (multiple times). I also doubt that the author will kill off one of the core characters so early. Stain will probably either run off after fighting Midoriya or another hero will show up to help beat him/chase him off (even though it would be cool if Midoriya beat him, I don't see that happening).

This chapter was okay, though the way Stain beat Iida was a little confusing. I think he just jumped up and kicked his arm and stomped his head all in one motion before landing and stabbing him with the sword, but the first frame after he jumps seems to show up him in a more "horizontal" position with his head already behind Iida's body where it would be very awkward to then kick him like he does.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, I think he'll be fine. Getting a sword through the arm isn't nearly as bad as shattering all your bones/muscles like Midoriya has done (multiple times). I also doubt that the author will kill off one of the core characters so early. Stain will probably either run off after fighting Midoriya or another hero will show up to help beat him/chase him off (even though it would be cool if Midoriya beat him, I don't see that happening).

This chapter was okay, though the way Stain beat Iida was a little confusing. I think he just jumped up and kicked his arm and stomped his head all in one motion before landing and stabbing him with the sword, but the first frame after he jumps seems to show up him in a more "horizontal" position with his head already behind Iida's body where it would be very awkward to then kick him like he does.

He doesn't quite stomp, more rides iida down to the ground so basically. KICK, Foot onto head to put the weight right so iida goes down, stab, insult, lick and activate quirk, more insults, prepare to finish, PUNCHED IN THE FACE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's not as bad, but we're also not aware of the full limits of healing in this setting. Obviously there's a point past which healing powers are insufficient since Deku's hand remain scarred and Iida's brother is allegedly permanently out of commission; and yeah, Iida's nowhere near that point. However, if there's also a time-sensitive element to the proceedings, going too long without healing might prove equally dangerous.

This is all speculation, of course. I don't think we'll get any definitive, concrete answers for this sort of thing for the time being since it allows the author to play or revoke the healing card as they wish to instill tension. Which is fine.

At the end of the day, the answer is probably "Iida's an important cast member and we're not even 100 chapters into things, he'll be fine," but I'd like to say it's a strength of Kohei's writing that even so I'm worried over the outcome. Reminds me of some of the stuff Xibanya posts in the DBZ thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it would make much sense for Iida to be out of the hero game permanently; after what Stain said about prioritizing saving the other guy before acting on his own selfish desires for revenge, I think it's being set up for Iida to reflect on that and find resolve in it. He totally failed at being a hero on pretty much all counts, and he needs some time to think about that and take it to heart. Even though it's coming from the guy he hates more than anything, I think it'll end up making him a better hero for it and I kinda see that as Stain's purpose here (maybe not intentionally for his character but as a plot device). I think Iida being pretty messed up temporarily is likely and would also give Deku something to regret per the foreshadowing from a few chapters ago.

edit: I'm never sure at what point things should be spoilered or not regarding new chapters, feels weird to have so many posts blacked out but I'm following the crowd here I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kohei doesn't kill good guys a lot if his previous works are any indication. Barrage was the most grim thing I've seen from him (and it wasn't too terribly dark) and most of the deaths were off screen or simply spoken about.

As far as I remember no one died in zoo.

Bnha ironically is the most graphic work I've seen from him and the nastiest stuff has been Midoria's mangled hands.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh oh oh Stain's quirk is definitely licking/consuming someones blood to paralyze them.

And of course his quirk was "too villainous" so he wasn't really allowed to become a "Hero" through the proper, sanctioned, channels.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

Oh oh oh Stain's quirk is definitely licking/consuming someones blood to paralyze them.

And of course his quirk was "too villainous" so he wasn't really allowed to become a "Hero" through the proper, sanctioned, channels.

The question then is how he managed to paralyze Black Mist like he did the previous chapter; given what we know of Black Mist and the apparent situation there, that theory really doesn't seem to fit the fight in the villain bar. Though it definitely does seem like exactly what's happened in this chapter. Strange.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Black mist had a cut on his shoulder/arm. We just weren't shown the actual "licking" at that point.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

Black mist had a cut on his shoulder/arm. We just weren't shown the actual "licking" at that point.

Huh, so he did; I didn't notice that before. I just remembered him leaning on the counter and took it as him being paralyzed in the middle of that bartender routine of his. Good catch; I should have gone back and looked personally rather than just going off what I remembered.

Edit: Looking back at that chapter, Stain expresses the same curiosity/fear of what Shigaraki may eventually become that the Yueii chairman and All Might did. There's a lot of people seeing potential in him.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 16, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Deku said on this page that "I should have tried harder to get through to him then. It was something I would soon come to regret.

Iida's not going to come out of his fight with Stain without something life-threatening and/or career-ending.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or he'll totally disregard Stain and become a vigilante

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ilda isn't going to die, he is going to take the exact wrong lesson to heart here. He is going to decide the hero system isn't what he wants to work in, that sometimes people deserve being punished and even hurt. He is going to embrace his hate, and soon he shall become... Quite Evil.

He hates the hero killer, he won't listen to him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

KittyEmpress posted:

Ilda isn't going to die, he is going to take the exact wrong lesson to heart here. He is going to decide the hero system isn't what he wants to work in, that sometimes people deserve being punished and even hurt. He is going to embrace his hate, and soon he shall become... Quite Evil.

He hates the hero killer, he won't listen to him.

Yeah, I'm absolutely going with the Iida going full vigilante and possibly getting expelled for it or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I will legit laugh if "I am now...quite evil" turns out to have been foreshadowing all along.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing that giant SMASSSSSSH!!! sound effect made me realize just how much I need to learn japanese, cause manga do sound effects all the time and I never really know what they're saying, but they add so much to a scene when you can understand them. That two page spread was glorious.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seeing that giant SMASSSSSSH!!! sound effect made me realize just how much I need to learn japanese, cause manga do sound effects all the time and I never really know what they're saying, but they add so much to a scene when you can understand them. That two page spread was glorious.

You'd only need to learn the katakana so it would be a lot easier than trying to actually learn to read Japanese.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Funny enough, that sound effect is in english in the japanese text.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

You'd only need to learn the katakana so it would be a lot easier than trying to actually learn to read Japanese.

Well I mean, I can read the katakana just fine, but the understanding doesn't really set in. Japan uses different sound effects and onomatopoeia and poo poo so unless you're actually familiar with the language they're just words that don't associate with the sounds they're supposed to represent.

Brought To You By posted:

Funny enough, that sound effect is in english in the japanese text.

Well, yeah, that's what made it so good. Translations never do the sound effects unless they're really good official ones, and even then they can't do really nicely drawn ones like this was.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I once tried to typeset a manga including sound effects. poo poo gets exponentially harder and time-consuming, it's unreal. Once you decide to do it you have to do it for all effects, most of which are over complex backgrounds and then you get a shitton more cleaning and redrawing to do and jesus christ.

I can see why most groups don't try it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bad Seafood posted:

I will legit laugh if "I am now...quite evil" turns out to have been foreshadowing all along.

And just look at his costume! poo poo's totally foreshadowing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kyte posted:

I once tried to typeset a manga including sound effects. poo poo gets exponentially harder and time-consuming, it's unreal. Once you decide to do it you have to do it for all effects, most of which are over complex backgrounds and then you get a shitton more cleaning and redrawing to do and jesus christ.

I can see why most groups don't try it.

I led a scanlation group for about two years doing Yankee-kun & Megane-chan, and that's what we did! What we were going for is "professional-quality".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

"professional-quality".

That way lies madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Guy ITT that said Stain would respect Deku for being more of a true hero was probably right.