Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194 posted:

Those guys are no joke and absolutely the best little detail in the RPG. That the humble ratcatchers and their small (but vicious) dogs (who actually get a statistical combat bonus over normal terriers and can totally take out a Clanrat) are fighting a heroic secret war against alien ratmen under the sewers and holding them back.

X-Com: Underworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

I've always said the Skaven fluff has a bit of UFO conspiracy theorist to it, with the whole government coverup, green glowy rocks, and superior technology angle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

my dad posted:

Yes please. :stare:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Night10194 posted:

Those guys are no joke and absolutely the best little detail in the RPG. That the humble ratcatchers and their small (but vicious) dogs (who actually get a statistical combat bonus over normal terriers and can totally take out a Clanrat) are fighting a heroic secret war against alien ratmen under the sewers and holding them back.

I was part of a Skavan campaign (which plays like normal warhammer mixed with a good portion of Paranoia) and our regular foils were a group I can only describe as some kind of wonder 101 group of rat catchers that hosed us up good every time we ran into them. I particaully learned that the small (but vicious) dog are not to be laughed at.

:synpa:"As designated marksvermin, I get to hang back in safety-leadership while my comrades rush towards danger-glory."

:smugdog::synpa::smugdog: "oh really?"

:gonk:

Those freaking dogs ripped me to pieces.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Klaus88 posted:

I was part of a Skavan campaign (which plays like normal warhammer mixed with a good portion of Paranoia) and our regular foils were a group I can only describe as some kind of wonder 101 group of rat catchers that hosed us up good every time we ran into them. I particaully learned that the small (but vicious) dog are not to be laughed at.

:synpa:"As designated marksvermin, I get to hang back in safety-leadership while my comrades rush towards danger-glory."

:smugdog::synpa::smugdog: "oh really?"

:gonk:

Those freaking dogs ripped me to pieces.

I was doing the same and I rolled up a super-badass Stormvermin. We're talking base Weapon Skill 50 and a Str that easily hit 50, too. Nightfang could've taken apart a Chaos Warrior at PC creation. I got my rear end kicked by a dwarf with a pistol and a lantern and his terrier. Ratcatchers: Don't gently caress with them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

my dad posted:

I would play the poo poo out of this game. Hopefully with XCOM2: XMORE's native mod support, a total conversion will be possible!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

peer posted:

I'm gonna go against the goon opinion here and say that those models are symptomatic of GW's push towards making everything bigger and flashier and more cool/badass, which probably in the end led to fuckin' sigmarines.

Normal rat ogres are cool, in my opinion, but those minigun guys are the fantasy equivalent of these idiots:

I think Skaven get a pass because being outlandishly over the top is an integral part of their identity and most of their wacky magitech comes with hilarious liabilities to the point where it is only somewhat more dangerous to the target than the operator. It's not the same thing a mary sue space marine in power armor getting into a larger suit of power armor so he can be an even bigger mary sue.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Voyager I posted:

I think Skaven get a pass because being outlandishly over the top is an integral part of their identity and most of their wacky magitech comes with hilarious liabilities to the point where it is only somewhat more dangerous to the target than the operator. It's not the same thing a mary sue space marine in power armor getting into a larger suit of power armor so he can be an even bigger mary sue.

Only the really good devices are more dangerous to the target than the operator; most Skaven machinery is most definitely more dangerous to the operators than the person they're aiming it at but the Skaven have more than enough replacement operators to mitigate the issue.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To clarify;

Rat ogres with unstable warpstone crudely weapons grafted to their bodies seem like an entirely plausible Skaven development, and it's funny because they're the over-the-top comic relief faction with no concept of workplace safety.

Space Marine nesting armor is also entirely plausible, and it's a different kind of funny because they're supposed to be the faction of straightlaced superheroes but they're actually a bunch of idiots with no self awareness who don't realize they're the joke because neither do their writers anymore.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gonna mod in an OSHA Inspector for Skaven

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Skaven understand workplace safety; that's why they lead from the back.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The "people" operating Skaven weapons are far more replaceable than the weapons themselves. Skaven who matter, like stormvermin, assassins, and warlock-engineers are legitimately badass and aren't required to risk themselves unless it's for something that matters.

Like, the Eshin Deathmaster can turbo murder his way through a room full of people before they even see him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Neruz posted:

Honestly I still can't really process that this is actually happening, it's just so totally incomprehensible.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just keep on seeing all this crazy poo poo go on and my mind just keeps boggling at "I can't believe they blew up Warhammer Fantasy."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

Gonna mod in an OSHA Inspector for Skaven

bureaucrat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Since when did Sigmar gain the ability to create living golden armor golems fueled by magic lightning anyway

Why is his realm impeneterable by chaos? If I understand the new setting correctly, Sigmar helped create paradise on all the realms but then Chaos waved its dick around and won (again) but they never attacked Sigmar directly? Then he just sat in his house for one hundred years and made Sigmarines?? What did the orcs and elves do during this mega apocalypse anyway

do I even want to know the answers

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

bureaucrat

Rathaus

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Probably not, but morbid curiosity is a powerful thing.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zzulu posted:

Since when did Sigmar gain the ability to create living golden armor golems fueled by magic lightning anyway

Why is his realm impeneterable by chaos? If I understand the new setting correctly, Sigmar helped create paradise on all the realms but then Chaos waved its dick around and won (again) but they never attacked Sigmar directly? Then he just sat in his house for one hundred years and made Sigmarines?? What did the orcs and elves do during this mega apocalypse anyway

The End Times of WHFB did two major things besides blowing up the world. First, they put pretty much everyone in the entire world on the same "team" against Chaos(this includes orcs and undead) because Chaos was going to literally destroy everything so the enemy of my enemy is my friend. The only two factions who didn't directly oppose Chaos united with everyone else were the skaven(pretty much did Chaos's job for them and blew up most of the world) and lizardmen(sacrificed a shitload to stop the skaven from blowing up the world and mitigate the damage they were dealing and then peaced out). Second, it amped the powerlevel way the gently caress up. Normally WHFB was pretty low fantasy. Magic and wizards are extremely rare outside of a few places like elftown and skavenville. End Times involved lots of insanely powerful beings coming out of the woodwork in various ways and made magic massively more common, massively easier to wield, and massively more powerful. Sigmar directly manifested, Nagash(the origin of all undeath) returned, etc.

Once Chaos showed up in the new place and Sigmar lost(again) due to a "great betrayal" of some sort, Sigmar basically ran to his new hidey hole with every surviving ally he could find and who would go with him(Grungni the dwarf god is with him, for example) and used all of their combined power to seal the place shut like a panic room to buy time for him to create his Space Marines. The orcs(lead by Gorkamorka, the dragonball fusion of their twin gods gork and mork) got pissed that Sigmar ran away from Chaos like a coward and shacked up in another realm to fight the war their own way. The elves were originally with Sigmar but again because he ran away like a coward they said "gently caress that" and went and either captured or killed loving Slaanesh(maybe the elves leaving was the "great betrayal"?) and are living in a different realm. Most of the surviving dwarves were cut off and are now fire dwarves in the fire plane or something. Nagash was also originally with Sigmar(which is loving hilariously stupid), but decided very quickly that he'd rather be King Of Everything and hosed off to rule a death kingdom with "deathrattle" skeletons and "soulblight" vampires.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Do note that the Horned Rat is technically a Chaos God too so the Skaven not joining everyone and instead trying to take advantage of the situation for themselves by blowing up the moon is totally in line with their nature.

The poo poo the Skaven get up to during End Times is like the only well written part of the entire thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Once Chaos showed up in the new place and Sigmar lost(again) due to a "great betrayal" of some sort, Sigmar basically ran to his new hidey hole with every surviving ally he could find and who would go with him(Grungni the dwarf god is with him, for example) and used all of their combined power to seal the place shut like a panic room to buy time for him to create his Space Marines. The orcs(lead by Gorkamorka, the dragonball fusion of their twin gods gork and mork) got pissed that Sigmar ran away from Chaos like a coward and shacked up in another realm to fight the war their own way. The elves were originally with Sigmar but again because he ran away like a coward they said "gently caress that" and went and either captured or killed loving Slaanesh(maybe the elves leaving was the "great betrayal"?) and are living in a different realm. Most of the surviving dwarves were cut off and are now fire dwarves in the fire plane or something. Nagash was also originally with Sigmar(which is loving hilariously stupid), but decided very quickly that he'd rather be King Of Everything and hosed off to rule a death kingdom with "deathrattle" skeletons and "soulblight" vampires.

:catstare:
Hmm ok :psyduck:

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Neruz posted:

Do note that the Horned Rat is technically a Chaos God too so the Skaven not joining everyone and instead trying to take advantage of the situation for themselves by blowing up the moon is totally in line with their nature.

The poo poo the Skaven get up to during End Times is like the only well written part of the entire thing.

I do wonder, is the Hornet Rat a full blown Chaos God? or is it/he/she/whatever just another God like the elf gods and Sigmar and stuff?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
He's referred to as a Chaos God or a God of Chaos multiple times and the other Chaos Gods are all a little wary of him because he has so many followers that he is quite bloated with power, if he's not a full Chaos God he's the next closest thing.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Horned Rat is basically fantasy Malal for vermin.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

papasyhotcakes posted:

I do wonder, is the Hornet Rat a full blown Chaos God? or is it/he/she/whatever just another God like the elf gods and Sigmar and stuff?

Full god

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also he occasionally attends council meetings just to frighten his followers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Neruz posted:

Also he occasionally attends council meetings just to frighten his followers.

"Don't forget to take minutes, records is important, yes-yes"

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
Other religions should follow suit, IMO.

"This Papal Consistory is called to order. In attendance, His Holiness Francis the Bishop of Rome, earthly head of Catholic Christendom; Guido, Master of the Papal Liturgical Celebrations; Jean-Louis, Cardinal Chamberlain; Dominique, Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apolistic Signatura, the Cleric Prelates, Secretary and Chancellor of the Apostolic Camera, and....?"
"Jehovah"
"Ah. Can't seem to find you in the list of expected attendees."
"It's spelled with an 'I'."
"Ah, yes. Audit and inspection...?"
"Carry on as if I wasn't here. Just like you do every day, despite my omnipresence."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Gutrot posted:

Other religions should follow suit, IMO.

"This Papal Consistory is called to order. In attendance, His Holiness Francis the Bishop of Rome, earthly head of Catholic Christendom; Guido, Master of the Papal Liturgical Celebrations; Jean-Louis, Cardinal Chamberlain; Dominique, Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apolistic Signatura, the Cleric Prelates, Secretary and Chancellor of the Apostolic Camera, and....?"
"Jehovah"
"Ah. Can't seem to find you in the list of expected attendees."
"It's spelled with an 'I'."
"Ah, yes. Audit and inspection...?"
"Carry on as if I wasn't here. Just like you do every day, despite my omnipresence."

I laughed way harder and louder at this than I should have. Now my boss won't stop glancing at me like I'm nuts.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

papasyhotcakes posted:

The Chaos Gods themselves aren't that big... In 40k the Emperor regularly pushes their poo poo in in the astral plane (they call him the Anathema), and he's just a conglomerate of some 10,000 ancient earth Shaman souls. I'm sure Gork & Mork and the Horned Rat are on equal footing as them, the Chaos Gods just have a better PR department (GW).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Gork and Mork are also Chaos Gods, albeit Chaos Gods that are actually good to their worshipers even if they are the enemies of literally everyone else :v:

The Emperor notably is not a Chaos God and is more in line with a Human Old One; the shamans basically took an evolutionary shortcut with their soul-meld trick. The Emperor is what Humans could be given many million years to develop and grow; which as it turns out is pretty loving powerful.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope the new orcs get Squiggoths. They need a huge fuckoff monster that isnt just a generic giant

Is there any info about anything other than Chaos and Sigmarines? Did the other factions get any cool new stuff??

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I hope the new orcs get Squiggoths. They need a huge fuckoff monster that isnt just a generic giant

Is there any info about anything other than Chaos and Sigmarines? Did the other factions get any cool new stuff??

You mean, like, Chaos Sigmarines?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh wait I read something about the new lizardmen and how they're like Daemons now, except good daemons and they manifest out of thin air and stuff. Order Daemons :stare:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skandranon posted:

You mean, like, Chaos Sigmarines?

Will that even be a thing? I got the impression that Stormcast Eternals were uncorruptable.

Zzulu posted:

Oh wait I read something about the new lizardmen and how they're like Daemons now, except good daemons and they manifest out of thin air and stuff. Order Daemons :stare:

Yeah as far as I can tell what happened with the Lizardmen is the Slaan did a Necron transformation to the Lizardmen with chaos stuff instead of living metal. The Lizardmen can now just live in the Warp like a Daemon and the Slaan can summon them from the Warp to manifest in the physical realm also like a Daemon.

Basically the Lizardmen are now like the Old Ones and have 'ascended to an energy form'

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 12, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
My, that's a big underbite.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Neruz posted:

Will that even be a thing? I got the impression that Stormcast Eternals were uncorruptable.

Of course it'll be a thing. The Astartes were 'uncorruptable' as well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skandranon posted:

Of course it'll be a thing. The Astartes were 'uncorruptable' as well.

Yeah but like the setting atm is basically right after Sigmar moves out and begins retaking the realms from Chaos, the Sigmarines are still shiny and new and Thunder Warriorsy so I wouldn't expect to see any Chaos Sigmarines show up until the setting has progressed a bit.

Having Chaos Sigmarines at this point would be like if the Emperor fought Chaos Thunder Warriors during the Age of Strife.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 12, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chaos warriors were already 8 foot tall killing machines merged into their magic armor. They don't need Sigmar's castoffs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Plus Chaos already has this guy:

Who needs Chaos Sigmarines when you have Bloodsecrators? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That axe is two blades short of being a six-feathered mace.

• Locked thread