Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I had a match earlier tonight where I got a double Flesh Wound because one guy I torped never fixed his flooding.

I got hit by a single torp from a swordfish after I'd just fixed a pair of fires from HE hits and it proceeded to almost kill my Wyoming single-handed before it ran down. Flooding is no joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

pocketpencil posted:

Thinking about going down the US CV line at this point. I suppose I can grind all 4 ship types at once and not hate myself. What could go wrong?

Is CV any fun though? Or do you just get gang banged all the time by the BBs?

Uhh, you get gang banged by sneaky DDs and aggressive enemy CVs. You prey upon enemy BBs with your torp bombers.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

wdarkk posted:

Is that really its range with every single secondary-booster skill? I felt like I was being attacked from longer than that.
That's without. Only Advanced Fire Control boosts range (20%) which requires 10 points, while Basic Fire Control (-10% reload) only requires 1 point. So with both an Atlanta is firing maximum 13.5 km at 4.5 seconds reload. However as I said it has long projectile flight time (afaik 9-10 seconds for 11 km) so you can dodge most of shots, and if they start firing from 13.5 km you can just turn around and keep off of that distance. Not hard for tier 5+ to kite at that range unless you're stock battleship or destroyer.

E: It's more deadly than Cleveland just because there are 2 more shells you can fire per salvo + 3 seconds faster reload.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 12, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Aesis posted:

That's without. Only Advanced Fire Control boosts range (20%) which requires 10 points, while Basic Fire Control (-10% reload) only requires 1 points. So with both an Atlanta is firing maximum 13.5 km at 4.5 seconds reload. However as I said it has long projectile flight time (afaik 9-10 seconds for 11 km) so you can dodge most of shots, and if they start firing from 13.5 km you can just turn around and keep off of that distance.

Yeah. I probably could have done that fight better, I had three Atlantas in a clump and was pretty terrified to actually engage them.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
loving phone edited wrong post :argh:

Anyways just kite them at their max range or further, shell flight time is long enough that they will never hit you because you will be out of range from where the shells were fired from.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 12, 2015

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Fair and balanced

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Seen people in tier 9+ getting matched against tier 8 and below just because they platooned tier 8. Annoying if that's Taiho.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The last time I had that happen in CBT the lower tier team won, because they had a greater volume of fire and tier 10 botes don't autobounce lower tier fire like tanks do

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 12, 2015

Lemmiatem
May 19, 2008

Hal_2005 posted:

New name for the New Mexico class should be 'hax'. because its so stupid good at this moment.

What am I doing wrong then? I have everything but the second hull upgrade researched on my New Mexico but I am still dealing with the endless frustration of watching as the majority of my shells splash aimlessly all around of target, with the occasional stray shell making contact for 1050-3000ish damage.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Durendal posted:

Fair and balanced
Matches like that are why I'm taking my own sweet time working up the tiers on several different lines. The grind and carrier matchmaker shenanigans are bad enough at tier 5-6 with a large population. Constantly getting matches like that (on either side of the mismatch) would make me ragequit.

Of course, the downside of being in the population sweetspot is that most players are terrible, and you can only carry so much. Omaha is one of my favorite ships, and I probably played 200 games with it in beta. Now my Omaha win percentage is 40% despite averaging 1400xp per game. Live by the solopubbing, die by the solopubbing.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
That's how I felt about the Kawachi. Utter garbo ship that gets outranged by everything afloat and misses completely at 3k. Haven't scored a single citadel hit in 5 games. Getting around 200 exp for maybe 12 hits. It's really turning me off of the BB line, and the CV line by means of grinding through these poo poo ships.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Kawachi is a piece of poo poo now and not representative of Kongo and up. Don't burn yourself out suffering through it when they will probably fix it in a patch or two. Work on other lines and accumulate free xp to burn through it if they don't unfuck it soon.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Finally got the Mogami again and took it out for my first match.

Sank:
Iowa, Izumo, Cleveland, and Mutsuki

140k damage, 70k fire, 70k HE

How I missed this ship.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

OSad posted:

The stock Nagato's not treating me well. The 410 mm guns that supposedly pack a bigger punch for some reason have trouble penetrating the same shots the Fuso could at 20km out a tier lower. And I'm having trouble getting into a decent range since anything past 10 kilometers causes the entire enemy flank to aggro on me, and this ship really can't take a hit at all stock, not even at extreme angles. I find myself losing almost all my health to a couple of unlucky citadel pens from Wyomings of all things.

I really do hope the second hull's better, especially since you have to spend nearly the same amount of experience researching it as you do the Fuso.

It should improve with hull upgrades. The Nagato was a 1910s Dreadnought that was modernized in the 30s.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Battleship drivers get dumber every time I play, seriously.

Some destroyers are pretty shocking, too:

I don't know what he figured he'd achieve. His torps were horribly aimed. Mine weren't.

This genius figured it'd be a clever idea to charge headlong at the DD he already lost most of his health to:

Yeah, RIP:

This genius figured he'd charge me in his carrier and... do something, I guess:

REAL MEAT OF THIS POST:

And the postgames:

...And that match was enough to put me back in the Minekaze. :getin:

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So is there a general overview of the nations gimmicks? I tried looking for it but eh, I'm poo poo at searching, what is the difference between the nations ships in the same class?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Garmann posted:

So is there a general overview of the nations gimmicks? I tried looking for it but eh, I'm poo poo at searching, what is the difference between the nations ships in the same class?

CV: IJN gets better torps, US gets better fighters.
BB: Uhm...something I guess.
CA: Basically the same. US gets better AA and IJN gets earlier larger calibre guns.
DD:s US gets good guns and IJN gets good torps.

e: Russia gets the Murmansk which is OP.
Brits got the Warspite which is a bit more agile.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

BB: Uhm...something I guess.

US BBs get better armor and turning. IJN BBs get better range and secondary batteries.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Also US BBs are sloths until T8.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I did not remember later Japanese torpedoes have even longer range than the Tenryu's, leading to my stupidest death yet. I drove straight into them, thinking they were about to run out of range as they passed their initial targets and only realizing too late that oh poo poo those aren't running out of range.

It's me, I'm the pubby.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Han Feizi posted:

That's how I felt about the Kawachi. Utter garbo ship that gets outranged by everything afloat and misses completely at 3k. Haven't scored a single citadel hit in 5 games. Getting around 200 exp for maybe 12 hits. It's really turning me off of the BB line, and the CV line by means of grinding through these poo poo ships.

I don't know if it's because the progression is slower now, but compared to CBT the Kawachi seems to be even less accurate than it used to be. The Myogi however is more accurate than it was so that's not so bad. The best advice I can give for Kawachi is to forget the standard BB tactic and load HE. The citadel on the St Louis and Chester are very low in the water so your chances of hitting them are minimal, and the armour penetration on the 12" guns isn't good enough to reliably penetrate the T3 BBs anyway. If you sail roughly towards your target and weave left and right you can make use of 5 turrets while presenting a hard target for torpedoes, and you'll kill St Louis if you can get close enough whereas you'll definitely die if you let them lob HE onto your deck from max range. Swap to AP if you're getting closer than 3km and just keep closing until you ram them (which is the single most reliably way to deal damage in a Kawachi).

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I just had an incredibly fun BB heavy game on Ocean. Our team responded to me designating targets and we just obliterated the enemy. Ship after ship getting soaked with shells from the majority of our team. By the end of the game we'd only lost four ships.

So yeah, bind that designator key, people might respond to it. And if they do you have a real advantage.

poo poo, I think I was in that game.

Ocean CHECK
someone designating target CHECK
Our team seal clubbing the enemy CHECK

It was awesome.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Burno posted:

Finally got the Mogami again and took it out for my first match.

Sank:
Iowa, Izumo, Cleveland, and Mutsuki

140k damage, 70k fire, 70k HE

How I missed this ship.

Do you use the twin or triple turrets?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wow, the grind really gets terrible once you hit tier V. The exp required for the next ship starts to get into the low 40k range, more than double the previous one.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

This boat game is fun, finally gave it a shot yesterday after installing it like a week ago and I think I'm hooked already. Got the kawachi at the moment which is really making me want to go back to using Cruisers but that Fuso looks fantastic if YouTube videos are anything to go by.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Carrier loadout progression in the tiers is really screwy, at least in the US line.

From what I can tell, your 'balanced' airwing only gains a squadron every other tier. So you still have 1/1/0 with Bogue. But looking at Bogue to Independence, while you gain another squadron on your balanced and fighter loadouts, your 'strike' loadout doesn't change. What the hell?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Wow, the grind really gets terrible once you hit tier V. The exp required for the next ship starts to get into the low 40k range, more than double the previous one.
This is the wargaming experience. Both World of Tanks and World of Warplanes use this "mechanic" where the tier 5->6 jump is really huge and each tier after only grows this exp gap.
This makes really terrible high tiers living hell because you're stuck with them for a really long time.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 12, 2015

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
TS in the OP is back up, just in case some of you are still using some other TS server for some reason.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Carrier loadout progression in the tiers is really screwy, at least in the US line.

From what I can tell, your 'balanced' airwing only gains a squadron every other tier. So you still have 1/1/0 with Bogue. But looking at Bogue to Independence, while you gain another squadron on your balanced and fighter loadouts, your 'strike' loadout doesn't change. What the hell?

They've done a really lovely job trying to balance carriers against all the people that complain about carriers

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
at least with carriers unlike you can do fighter loadouts that let you cut off your nose to spite other peoples' faces without being part of the problem :dukedog:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So carriers - are USN planes that much superior to IJN planes? Because IJN carriers consistently get more flights than their USN counterparts, or is it balanced out some other way? Are IJN carriers flaming death trap glass cannons where US ones can take a bit more of a beating maybe?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pharnakes posted:

So carriers - are USN planes that much superior to IJN planes? Because IJN carriers consistently get more flights than their USN counterparts, or is it balanced out some other way? Are IJN carriers flaming death trap glass cannons where US ones can take a bit more of a beating maybe?

US CVs have 6 fighters per squad, while the IJN CVs only have 4. On top of this, while IJN CVs can field more squads, their loadouts are typically bomber heavy, while the US have loadouts that mix in more fighters. So their fighters are more numerous and deadlier when they actually engage enemy fighters. That makes them better for air superiority, but IJN better for anti-ship stuff, which is arguably much more important.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Finally got New Orleans. At least it can survive slightly better against HE spam unlike Peniscola. It has way better concealment of 12.4 km (+ 10% module so 11.2 km) vs Peniscola's 15.7 km (and no module). Range is great (16.2 km with upgrade) as well. Stock hull is bit disappointing mainly due to longer rudder shift and less hit points, but AA seems to be alright even though it can't shoot down Essex/Taiho's planes fast enough. Probably need to invest in AA skills and AA module.

Biggest problem with higher tier is lack of credit. I need 2.1M credit for hull and 1.57M credit for gun upgrade :stare: I'm currently 20k xp away from hull and 20k more xp away from gun but I only have 550k credit atm so it's going to be very tight.

e:
Running away from Essex for 5 minutes while he tried so hard to sink me. He knew his poo poo so he just waited until I lost speed turning into his bombers to drop torps, but dropped slightly ahead so I managed to survive with only 2 hits. I had 3k hp left but his dive bombers totally failed, and both me and NM were running in different directions so he could only go for one of us which happened to be me. Won by points. Fighters scouting without any fuel limit is bullshit though. He had his fighters on me for 5~10 minutes and I couldn't shoot them down as they were always 7 km off.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 12, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Do you use the twin or triple turrets?

Triple 155mm with the captain perks for -10% reload +20% range. The 155mm were always great in CBT because they rain fire on everything, now you can do it to everything within 19km.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone know what "Alternative Battle Interface mod" is ?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

My only big annoyance with this game is a buddy I play with and I use skype for impromptu voice comms. And half the time somehow skype shits out and makes my shift key require a double-click. It's infuriating with it randomly doing that or working with single click.

I love my Omaha, but jesus are pubbies stupid at that tier range. I probably have a 10% win rate when I play my Omaha because my entire team gets murderfucked 2 minutes into the game for various reasons. I was laughing my rear end off last night though when I got Bismarcked right in the center of the map in front of half the enemy team with my repair on cooldown. I was far enough away that I just circled at full blast until I could fix it, pissing HE onto everyones decks. The thing is a blast, I just wish I could get more than 900xp every game because my team always goes full retard.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

The Kawachi is a piece of poo poo now and not representative of Kongo and up. Don't burn yourself out suffering through it when they will probably fix it in a patch or two. Work on other lines and accumulate free xp to burn through it if they don't unfuck it soon.

The Kawachi was bearable, the stock Myogi is unremitting torture to use. Nearly 6xp before you get a hull with AA, guns with awful dispersion, large, slow, turns like a barge and only 3 turrets.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

PirateBob posted:

Anyone know what "Alternative Battle Interface mod" is ?
Permanently holds 'alt' key for you. Recommended.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Just started playing this this evening. Well, there went some hours. For some reason the HP system seems to work on ships, even though it works terribly on planes and passably on tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So the Atago is really fun. The firepower isn't anything to be scoffed at, she's got enough belt armor to shrug off 8in AP if angled at about 45 degrees, the AA and maneuverability are decent enough and the wider torp arcs are really funny. Almost no one expects you to be able to shove a spread of four torpedos out at an 45-degree forward angle. You can just completely gently caress people that try to knifefight you and bullrush lone BBs keeping the belt angled before ramming a narrow spread right into them from point blank without exposing your citadel. My funniest game today had me suicide-charge and end up with a mutual kill vs a North Carolina, with a destroyer trying to point-blank torp me from the other side and getting torped back by my forward launcher instead. Devastating Strike, Double Strike and It's Just a Fleshwound earned within about ten seconds. :allears: