Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How is there not a shaky cam yet? Ideally one taken by Doc himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Would you really want to ruin the experience of watching an episode by watching a crappy cell phone video where security turns it off five minutes in?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cojawfee posted:

Would you really want to ruin the experience of watching an episode by watching a crappy cell phone video where security turns it off five minutes in?

Why does a junkie rub his gums on the carpet when he spills his fix?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cojawfee posted:

Don't ask me how I saw Crank for the first time.

As long as it's complete and I can hear the jokes, I can leave the rest as an upgrade for the first time I really get to see it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

because i have the dart monkey on my back

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sash! posted:

because i have the dart monkey on my back

I'm not supposed to be in here!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not supposed to be in here!

... it's like getting sucked off by an angel... a sweet angel with a tranquilizer....

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Pick posted:

Yeah, I think one of my favorite underlying threads is that Doc is actually excellent as a supervillain.

That seems to be sort of a thing with the entire family. The original post-milliner Dr Venture founded the Guild, Rusty's dad was a straight up savage rear end in a top hat who was only not a villain because the standards of the world at the time were just as lovely as he was. Rusty is a proven villain waiting to happen, Dean is the rightful heir to the Guild and seems to be developing his own super scientist thing. Dermot's a huge rear end in a top hat and is basically a stupider Henchman 24.

The only odd one out is Hank, who is TOTALLY Batman.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Angular Landbury posted:

The only odd one out is Hank, who is TOTALLY Batman.

Well, Rusty himself said Hank reminds him of himself when he was a kid; Hank is, to me, the kind of teenager Rusty would have turned into if it wasn't for Jonas and crew's particular brand of awful. While they both grew up in an awful "adventure" environment, at least Hank didn't have to shoot a villain in the head. Nor did he have to come face to face with his dad's massive dong in the morning after hearing him sleep with loose women all night.

Like really, how does Rusty resist being a super villain? The TV show? Pressure from the old Team Venture? Too lazy? All of the above? Probably all of the above.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tarlibone posted:

... it's like getting sucked off by an angel... a sweet angel with a tranquilizer....
Why are you such a bitch?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

pnumoman posted:

Well, Rusty himself said Hank reminds him of himself when he was a kid; Hank is, to me, the kind of teenager Rusty would have turned into if it wasn't for Jonas and crew's particular brand of awful. While they both grew up in an awful "adventure" environment, at least Hank didn't have to shoot a villain in the head. Nor did he have to come face to face with his dad's massive dong in the morning after hearing him sleep with loose women all night.

Like really, how does Rusty resist being a super villain? The TV show? Pressure from the old Team Venture? Too lazy? All of the above? Probably all of the above.

Apathy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

pnumoman posted:

Rusty's self-image is of himself as the good guy. He may be a selfish piece of poo poo a lot of the time, but openly being a bad guy would be to much for him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope Hank actually turns into batman.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

He already has.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Rusty's self-image is of himself as the good guy. He may be a selfish piece of poo poo a lot of the time, but openly being a bad guy would be to much for him.

Sure, but how did he get that self-image? His dad certainly didn't give him good lessons on morality, nor did the old Team Venture, so my guess is that the TV show seared that good guy self-image onto Rusty so hard he can never escape. Plus, being evil would mean throwing his TV show fame away, and you know he could never do that. Even if it is mostly due to apathy and/or laziness.

Edit: Just had another thought...what if it was all due to the one being who actually raised Rusty? What if H.E.L.P.eR was the sole reason Rusty won't turn evil? Oh H.E.L.P.eR, is there anything you can't do? :allears:

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 12, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Wait... we don't have a bat guy?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I imagine the original Team Venture did actually have some adventures where they did decent things, it's just way funnier to point out the times when Rusty's bizarre lifestyle got really hosed up. He occasionally makes a blasé reference to like, "oh, crawl down the vent shaft, stumble on the villain's secret plot, remove rubber mask, home for breakfast" kind of stuff that wasn't interesting enough to traumatise him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Rusty isn't malicious, he's just callous. Someone back up the thread said he's a villain in a more real-world everyday sense in that he doesn't give a poo poo and thoughtlessly hurts people through neglect and apathy, but he doesn't get any kicks or thrills out of it either which precludes being an actual supervillain, which I think is a pretty good assessment. Rusty is a guy who just doesn't give a gently caress

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rusty isn't malicious, he's just callous. Someone back up the thread said he's a villain in a more real-world everyday sense in that he doesn't give a poo poo and thoughtlessly hurts people through neglect and apathy, but he doesn't get any kicks or thrills out of it either which precludes being an actual supervillain, which I think is a pretty good assessment. Rusty is a guy who just doesn't give a gently caress

Yeah, I'll grant that Rusty fails supervillain criteria number one in that he doesn't get a kick out of being evil. But honestly, the banal nature of his villainy makes him even more evil in my eyes. It's like when Phantom Limb discovers Professor Incorrigible's power source; he may not get a kick out of it, but goddamn is it evil as hell.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

pnumoman posted:

Well, Rusty himself said Hank reminds him of himself when he was a kid;

As I recall, he says this in a scene where it's very apparent he has his kids' personalities mixed up.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

smidgeonnn posted:

As I recall, he says this in a scene where it's very apparent he has his kids' personalities mixed up.

Are you sure? I was referring to the episode where Hank and Vatred "kidnap" Rusty.

Rusty was pretty clear about how Dean is into the whole super scientist stuff while Hank rejects it just like he did. Didn't seem like he got anything mixed up there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

pnumoman posted:

Are you sure? I was referring to the episode where Hank and Vatred "kidnap" Rusty.

Rusty was pretty clear about how Dean is into the whole super scientist stuff while Hank rejects it just like he did. Didn't seem like he got anything mixed up there.

"Dean believes this crap—he should have been 'Rusty Venture, Boy Adventurer!' Hank got this life thrown at him, and he fights against it. I see so much of myself in that boy that I want to apologize to him for his existence. He can't win—he's a Venture. He'll never shake it."

It's written so seriously that I don't think it's meant to be a case of Venture mixing up his kids because he's a terrible father. I mean, they haven't pulled that since the first season, when the boys would occasionally mention something about him getting their names wrong. At this point in the series, Dean wants a normal life, so much so that the idea of going to public school is talked about like a magnificent dream. Then again, he's the first to head to the panic room, and he plays by all the rules of the genre: when to run, when to snoop around, when to scream for help, when to scream in fear, when to scream to break up a threesome that's developing right on top of him, etc. Whereas Dean grudgingly goes along with the lifestyle because he doesn't know what else to do, Hank is in love the lifestyle. He's the one who complains that they're not going on adventures all the time. He's the one who goes head-first into danger with courage he really shouldn't have, and he's the one who tries to join the official good-guy team so he can be a super-spy and take on supervillains.

Conversely, Rusty at that age wanted friends his own age, and by the time he was Hank and Dean's age, he really wanted out of the game, except perhaps for the obvious benefits of being in the lifestyle: access to robots, wealth, fame, etc.

The adventurer lifestyle traumatized Rusty, while Hank has taken it in stride. They are very different, and it makes that moment in the episode a little strange. I feel like it was meant to be a really serious moment, and I don't think they wanted to taint it with a "Doc is so terrible he doesn't know his own kids" joke. I think that monolog is just one of those things that looks good in paper and sounds great when you hear it, but if you tug on the thread, it falls apart.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 12, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
He actually is; he says that Hank, like him, rejects the (boy) adventurer life path, while Dean buys into and likes it. This is the inverse of reality, where Dean is growing to hate being pressed into adventures and super science, while Hank literally dresses up like a detective because it will make adventuring more fun.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

RandallODim posted:

He actually is; he says that Hank, like him, rejects the (boy) adventurer life path, while Dean buys into and likes it. This is the inverse of reality, where Dean is growing to hate being pressed into adventures and super science, while Hank literally dresses up like a detective because it will make adventuring more fun.

I would agree that this is the current state of affairs, but in Season 4, it wasn't quite as clear that Dean hated the lifestyle. At least, I didn't get hate from him. He wouldn't truly rebel against adventuring until after he dropped the F-bomb on Outrider and became a man.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

tarlibone posted:

I would agree that this is the current state of affairs, but in Season 4, it wasn't quite as clear that Dean hated the lifestyle. At least, I didn't get hate from him. He wouldn't truly rebel against adventuring until after he dropped the F-bomb on Outrider and became a man.

That's true, but he certainly hasn't been totally on-board even since he got his first speedsuit. And I at least remember the scene as have a pretty heavy vibe of 'Rusty gets it, but also doesn't'. I didnt see your post before making mine, but I'd say we agree that it's a scene that works better in concept than execution either way. Guess this is my cue to get back to rewatching the series!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hank became a man when he had sex. Dean became a man when he learned that he was just the latest in a series of clone slugs inheriting the same stream of consciousness.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. Dean hates the lifestyle now, but only because he now fully understands the cost. Hank, on the other hand, liked adventuring but never really wanted to be a Venture super scientist/follow in anyone's footsteps other than Brock's. He likes adventures because it's fun, and he was never asked to do the seriously horrible things Rusty was told to do on occasion. I'm sure Rusty liked some, if not most, of the adventures he went on as a kid. I mean, poo poo, he lived a boy's fantasy life, jetting across the world, solving mysteries, doing cool poo poo on the regular so much so there's a TV show of his childhood exploits. It's his dad and crew that really traumatised him, as they took turns emasculating him for cheap laughs, ignoring him to go party, and brutally taking his innocence by having him kill before he's a teenager. poo poo, Hank puked in the latest special when Brock snapped someone's neck in front of him; Rusty did a pretty good job preserving the boys' innocence, all told.

Rusty hated his dad and didn't want to take up the Venture super scientist mantle; Dean was okay with doing so until fairly recently, while Hank always marched to the beat of his own drum. Maybe Rusty wished he was more like Hank, as opposed to truly seeing himself in Hank. Either way, I believe Rusty was wholly honest and did not mix up his kids during that monologue.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

I feel like it was meant to be a really serious moment, and I don't think they wanted to taint it with a "Doc is so terrible he doesn't know his own kids" joke. I think that monolog is just one of those things that looks good in paper and sounds great when you hear it, but if you tug on the thread, it falls apart.
I believe you're wrong. Rusty being completely wrong and blind to his children's nature and aspirations is more tragic than funny and underlines his faults as a parent in a serious way rather than the more comedic way of having him forget their respective names.

tarlibone posted:

The prog rock episode seemed to show a rather clear picture of Dean not really being into the whole super-science thing, only going along with it because he doesn't want to disappoint his father.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brock made Hank kill at least one of the ghost pirates!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Psh, ghosts don't count, they're incorporeal. (Completely forgot about that)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think people are putting more thought into this than anyone on the cast or crew of the show.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think people are putting more thought into this than anyone on the cast or crew of the show.

Given the amount of time they take to put out a season, I'm not so sure.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Actually, Brock wanted him to kill the ghost pirates, but when Hank asked if twisting the guy's neck (causing him to go ragdoll) would "... knock him out more," after a brief exchange, Brock had him tie them up instead. And he did, adding a nice bow. I'm pretty sure the only people who died were the fake ghost pirate, and the real ghost skeleton thing.

Edit: Man... I need more Venture. Any word about that episode that supposedly was played at the SDCC? ... I just looked, and the only thing I could find says that it was just All This and Gargantua 2.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 12, 2015

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

X_Toad posted:

The prog rock episode seemed to show a rather clear picture of Dean not really being into the whole super-science thing, only going along with it because he doesn't want to disappoint his father.

The most recent season, however, made it seem that despite not really wanting to follow in those footsteps, Dean actually has an aptitude for super science.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tarlibone posted:

Actually, Brock wanted him to kill the ghost pirates, but when Hank asked if twisting the guy's neck (causing him to go ragdoll) would "... knock him out more," after a brief exchange, Brock had him tie them up instead. And he did, adding a nice bow. I'm pretty sure the only people who died were the fake ghost pirate, and the real ghost skeleton thing.

Edit: Man... I need more Venture. Any word about that episode that supposedly was played at the SDCC? ... I just looked, and the only thing I could find says that it was just All This and Gargantua 2.

Don't forget the two pirates who were guarding Brock before... Brock provided a name for the show's fight song. Even if they weren't dead by the time he left the boat, they certainly were when he set it on fire.

Angular Landbury posted:

The most recent season, however, made it seem that despite not really wanting to follow in those footsteps, Dean actually has an aptitude for super science.

Have we seen Dean do any superscience apart from fixing HELPER and doing shrinky-dinks?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Don't forget the two pirates who were guarding Brock before... Brock provided a name for the show's fight song. Even if they weren't dead by the time he left the boat, they certainly were when he set it on fire.

Crap, you're right! I'm pretty sure they were dead before. I mean, I gathered as much from "... I told you what I'd do for one of these...."

Time to watch the series again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pope Guilty posted:

Have we seen Dean do any superscience apart from fixing HELPER and doing shrinky-dinks?

Actually I'm pretty sure we see at least one of those Pirates later working for Jonas Jr during the Museum episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Killinger makes Hank kill one of the Venchmen

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

THIS MAN STOLE FROM YOUR FATHER

I love that line for some reason. Probably because of the accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

He says that he's got a PhD in child psychology, so...you know...whatever.

Plus, he probably just had him cut off his hands or something.