Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Er? Am I busted or something? Dodging/dashing aside never uses stamina for me, it just halts my regen.

On that same note, I noticed people saying werewolf decoction was useful for running around novigrade, but ... why? When I sprint and my stamina finally depletes (a good while later), if I let go of shift it fills to full in less than a second, and then you go right back to sprinting. Just seems kinda.. pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I should have been clearer, it affects stamina regen. Doesn't use stamina. Rolling stops it far more than dodging does. And dodging for me is risky, seems I have a 50% chance of getting hit anyway

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

For anyone else stuck on Skellige, someone over on CD Projekt's forums found a workaround. Worked for me, may or may not work for you:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l=1#post1833403

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I should have been clearer, it affects stamina regen. Doesn't use stamina. Rolling stops it far more than dodging does. And dodging for me is risky, seems I have a 50% chance of getting hit anyway

Larger monsters especially (Fiends, Bears, Golems, Elementals, etc.) tend to have really wide arcs on their attacks that can clip you if you dodge them too late or were too close to start with, there is a talent in the swordsman tree that improves dodges and give you damage resistance while dodging. (5/5 points gives you 100% damage reduction while dodging)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Er? Am I busted or something? Dodging/dashing aside never uses stamina for me, it just halts my regen.

On that same note, I noticed people saying werewolf decoction was useful for running around novigrade, but ... why? When I sprint and my stamina finally depletes (a good while later), if I let go of shift it fills to full in less than a second, and then you go right back to sprinting. Just seems kinda.. pointless?
Even more poinntless is that there's a period where you sprint before you drain stamina. You can basically just pulse your running so you're always sprinting because pausing for a second has Geralt keep sprinting but resets your meter to completely full.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Try rolling or dodging towards him.

This. Also the instakill animation is long enough were my stamina regens fully and I can get out another Aard right after in case I get rushed by other enemies.

Also I'm playing on blood and broken bones and the guys stay down long enough where I can get 2-4 instakills depending on how far apart they are after they're knocked down.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Coming off of Dark Souls 2 it was incredibly hard to get myself to stop rolling backwards.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

beer_war posted:

For anyone else stuck on Skellige, someone over on CD Projekt's forums found a workaround. Worked for me, may or may not work for you:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l=1#post1833403
Big thanks man. I tested it and it works. You basically have to load the guy's save, travel to Skellige, go back to Novigrad then load your own Skellige save and you will be able to travel to Novigrad/Velen without crash. Maybe this will be some kind of hint for CD Projekt for fixing this bug?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Today in Geralt's Velen Adventures I took up the level 20 Chort bounty...at level 10. After a pretty epic battle where I used basically every grenade and potion I had, Geralt stood victorious once more for a nominal amount of gold and some priceless relics that I immediately turned around and sold to some uneducated, toothless peasant.

For Keira's questline, I decided to send her to Kaer Morehan (sp) and took Alexander's notes for myself. Nice try lady, but the only person who gets to make hasty decisions that will probably screw over everybody down the line is me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Been playing without HUD for quite awhile now. Don't even miss it. It's surprising how much I've acclimated. It's really stupid fun and brings out how gorgeous the game really is.

For example, this isn't really a breathtaking view, but the fact that both the stronghold on the on the right and the lighthouse on the left are places I can travel to seamlessly is pretty amazing.

And I just look at stuff more. Finding quest starts, for example, requires actually poking around and talking to people. This is mostly spam x, but it also means I'm scanning the crowd for people that look like they might be important or unique.

I wish it was possible to turn of the interaction prompt. it's the only in-world popup element left between me and pure cinematic view. But that's only an issue around friendlies, mostly in populated areas.

I consult the bestiary more often, because I have to make sure I'm properly identifying monsters by sight. When I encountered my first forktail, I wasn't sure what it was. At first I thought it was a wyvern, but I noticed that its head was different. I was pretty sure it was a draconid, but I thought maybe it was a some kind of hybrid. Not knowing what level it was and dying 2-3 times before succeeding was quite a rush.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'd like to play without the HUD but I feel like I'd miss HP/toxicity and potion duration too much.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just picked this up and am looking for ways to optimize game performance. I have an Nvidia 660 card, so that's at the minimum requirements, but I'm meeting or exceeding recommended parts for everything else. Is there a consensus on which game settings to change to get the best graphics for least performance drain? Or settings to change for best performance boost?

Also, which performs better? Full screen, windowed, or borderless window?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Off the top off my head, you can safely put most graphics on medium besides the obvious Hairworks and such. I personally have textures set to High and it looks pretty enough, though you can further dabble with AA numbers in config files.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nobody Interesting posted:

I'd like to play without the HUD but I feel like I'd miss HP/toxicity and potion duration too much.

yeah, it required giving up a lot of precise control and knowledge. Not being able to see whether I have adrenaline points or not is the hardest part. Toxicity I have a ballpark knowledge of how much my potions give me, and if it's really high the green becomes visible around the screen edge. it's fun to check my health after fights and see how good or bad I did. On ps4, the ds4 light is an indicator of health, which is nice.

I've never tried giving up hud elements like this before, because I've always been a "knowledge is power" type of gamer. This game has such a strong style and setting that I wanted to experience it more immersively. I'm glad I did. I'm not sure if I could go back. There's definitely some minor annoyances, but after playing this way for probably a dozen hours now, the tradeoff is totally worth it for me.

But it's worth pointing out, in case you don't know, that a lot of seperate hud elements can be turned off individually. I didn't go straight for no hud at all. I actually took it apart piece by piece. The last hud element I removed was active potion effects. You could try playing with just your health/stamina/adrenaline/toxicity gauge and your active effects and see how you like it. I found that with the rest of the UI gone it stuck out like a sore thumb.

The actual last thing I turned off was npc names, which is an annoying category. It makes it really hard to find vendors and story npcs, but if you leave it on, ever animal and beast has their name tag, disrupting the cinematic experience.

I left area names and update messages on, because they don't really break immersion and it would be too hard to figure out what quest stuff you're doing if you didn't have the updates. And I just like them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Loving this troll battle of wits in skellege.

Too bad I didn't have subtitles on and couldn't understand a word they said. Goodbye tasty man.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Loving this troll battle of wits in skellege.

Too bad I didn't have subtitles on and couldn't understand a word they said. Goodbye tasty man.

I just finally went back and did the "The Volunteer" quest in Velen. I had no idea what it was about going in. It was like the funniest conversation I've ever seen in a videogame.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
Does anyone have a save game that takes place after you've lifted the curse from Uma? My saves got hosed.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Finally beat the game after 134 hours. Standing in an empty Kaer Morhen with nobody in sight is kinda a :smith: moment at the end of it all. Wish they had Yen or something chilling out in the fortress.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

WarpedLichen posted:

Finally beat the game after 134 hours. Standing in an empty Kaer Morhen with nobody in sight is kinda a :smith: moment at the end of it all. Wish they had Yen or something chilling out in the fortress.

I'd really prefer to just get dumped to the main menu and have the "postgame but not really" save added after the credits. Still, as-is it's significantly less jarring than ME3's "thanks for playing! Look forward to our DLC!" message.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So, when you get to the Isle of Mist the house has five dwarves, there are three missing, one of which is very sleepy, making a total of seven. They are in a hut with a sleeping woman, whose skin and hair is pure white (as snow?) I suspected the reference the first time I played, but because no one ever mentioned it (that I saw), I assumed I must have miscounted. Second play through confirms it though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pansacola posted:

Does anyone have a save game that takes place after you've lifted the curse from Uma? My saves got hosed.

What kind of save would you want though? What level and how much side questing done? Files by that stage can be very different.
I'm just about to go to collect Uma but I'm level 24, alchemy build on death march and with a lot of side quests done including a lot of major choices such as romancing Yen, choosing Cerys etc. Post what kind of choices you want and if we match I'll work out some way to send you my file as there are no other offers.

On another note I feel that superior grapeshot even with only a couple points in cluster bombs surely constitutes some sort of war crime. :boom: :catstare:
It's raining men indeed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bugblatter posted:

So, when you get to the Isle of Mist the house has five dwarves, there are three missing, one of which is very sleepy, making a total of seven. They are in a hut with a sleeping woman, whose skin and hair is pure white (as snow?) I suspected the reference the first time I played, but because no one ever mentioned it (that I saw), I assumed I must have miscounted. Second play through confirms it though.

I mentioned it!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Can I confirm that once you go to Skellige those are all your world map options? Skellige, Novigrad/Velen, Vizima Royal Palace, and White Orchard?

Presumably they'll add more in DLC

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Can I confirm that once you go to Skellige those are all your world map options? Skellige, Novigrad/Velen, Vizima Royal Palace, and White Orchard?

Presumably they'll add more in DLC

You can go to Kaer Morhen.

e: and yeah there is a new map coming in the second expansion.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Taear posted:

I mentioned it!

Ah, sorry. 424 pages.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
hopefully they do a Letho spinoff

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Did "Skelliges Most Wanted", that must've been hard for those of you who elected to kill them all.

Also killed mordvar long before I had to go to the garden with Yen. What happens if he's alive when you go there? Since he's a much higher level sidequest I have to imagine that's the "intended" way. Is it that you just stay on the outside of the garden and don't go into the cave?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, I notice in the patch notes they "fixed" a glitch where you can infinitely buy foreign currency from the loan shark and then sell it to Vivaldi. Why does that matter? It's not like you make money on that?

They got rid of the seashell salesman (before I got the game even!) so I just don't get it

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Also killed mordvar long before I had to go to the garden with Yen. What happens if he's alive when you go there? Since he's a much higher level sidequest I have to imagine that's the "intended" way. Is it that you just stay on the outside of the garden and don't go into the cave?

Its not that different, you have to "deal" with him before you can get to the well. I made the mistake and just "killed" him and then completed the Yennifer part of the quest. I came back later and dealt with Mordvag.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Also, I notice in the patch notes they "fixed" a glitch where you can infinitely buy foreign currency from the loan shark and then sell it to Vivaldi. Why does that matter? It's not like you make money on that?

They got rid of the seashell salesman (before I got the game even!) so I just don't get it

The what?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was an exploit at release that CD Projekt missed where you could run between 3 merchants in Novigrad, buy seashells from one, turn them into pearls, sell them to the other merchant to buy currency from him and then turn the currency into the proper one at the bank and buy even more seashells etc. which would net you crazy profit like 100,000 an hour or something which was completely game breaking. They patched it out. I actually think they fixed the regenerating currency at the second merchant at the same time though which could be in order to stop another exploit that didn't get discovered yet or to simply stop any future exploits as a precaution.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
You guys that have followed the developers and the games for years, what kinda stuff could we get for the expansion(s)? Just a few quests over in a hour or A HUGE CONTINENT FILLED WITH WAIFU SORCERESSES AND FUNNY TROLLS?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
That's probably it, just a precaution I guess. Not that anyone dedicated enough won't just mediate a bunch.

Right now you can just buy all the florens you want off him. You just leave the shop screen and go right back in. The exchange is 1:1 though so I don't entirely get the point of buying florens.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dongattack posted:

You guys that have followed the developers and the games for years, what kinda stuff could we get for the expansion(s)? Just a few quests over in a hour or A HUGE CONTINENT FILLED WITH WAIFU SORCERESSES AND FUNNY TROLLS?

CDProjekt has never done "true" DLC/Expansions in the official sense. They've done "Enhanced Editions".

Caveat, I played Witcher 1 after the EE. Witcher 1 was such a mess at release with multi-minute load times, bad voice acting, a terrible script (translation, more likely) and I "think" the interface was a mess too. Well, there was still something good there, so it still sold really well so CDProjekt took a bunch of that money and re-invested it in the game. They redid the script, voice acting, fixed the load times...for the time they made the "essential" version of the Witcher. No new content, they just cleaned and polished the game a ton.

Witcher 2 I did play at release. The big complaints for W2 were mostly around the awful interface and the shortness of act 3. For those who were new to the series, a lack of intro to the world as well. The EE for W2 added a tutorial, a ton of new cinematics (including one to give an "intro" to the world and Gerald) and cinematics showing where in the world you were actually going (sounds minor, but I really liked them!) and added a bunch of new content to Act 3. Oh, and an arena mode and a really fancy new cinematic showing Letho killing the first king. W2 was a less dramatic change, but the additions are still greatly appreciated.

Witcher 3 is an odd beast. We're getting the "under the hood" enhancements of an EE now in the form of patches (look at 1.07 changelog!). The first real DLC addon will reuse Velen (and Novigrad?) and be 20 10 hours, the 2nd will be in a whole new area with 30 20 hours of gameplay. I take those hour estimates with a grain of salt...I think they'll be longer (or at least take me longer, looking at my W3 playtime vs. playtime estimates).

Will we get an W3 EE after all the DLC is done that adds or fleshes out aspects of W3? Hard to say...I think so. I can't comment on the end of W3, I'm not there yet! From what I hear the last part (act?) of the game, like Witcher 2, is rushed. Maybe they'll go back and flesh it out? Who knows!

EDIT: There was "piecemeal DLC" for W2, similar to the piecemeal DLC we're getting for W3.

Oh...and the W2 EE added super hard "Dark Mode" with new darkmode armor to find and craft.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 12, 2015

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

JetsGuy posted:

That's probably it, just a precaution I guess. Not that anyone dedicated enough won't just mediate a bunch.

Right now you can just buy all the florens you want off him. You just leave the shop screen and go right back in. The exchange is 1:1 though so I don't entirely get the point of buying florens.

I do it to replenish his supply of crowns so I can sell him bottles, hundreds and hundreds of bottles. I buy them from the bottle vendor to replenish his supply of crowns so I can sell him all my junk for full price.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dongattack posted:

The devs have addressed this in an interview:

"The first expansion will be around 10 hours and the second expansion will be around 20 hours... and I think it's possible that they will be bigger, because it's always like this (that when we plan some time or hours, it's twice or something like this), but I'm not promising anything right now. And even now, if you sum up this 10 to 20 hours and you compare it to The Witcher 2, it's almost the size of The Witcher 2."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Palpek posted:

There was an exploit at release that CD Projekt missed where you could run between 3 merchants in Novigrad, buy seashells from one, turn them into pearls, sell them to the other merchant to buy currency from him and then turn the currency into the proper one at the bank and buy even more seashells etc. which would net you crazy profit like 100,000 an hour or something which was completely game breaking. They patched it out. I actually think they fixed the regenerating currency at the second merchant at the same time though which could be in order to stop another exploit that didn't get discovered yet or to simply stop any future exploits as a precaution.

It was a lot simpler than that. You could just buy the seashells for more than the pearls they turned into selled for.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

RatHat posted:

It was a lot simpler than that. You could just buy the seashells for more than the pearls they turned into selled for.
But then when you sold it the merchant would eventually run out of gold. Buying the currency meant that you could run between the merchants without them ever running out of gold because you would be replenishing it in the process and still make money.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does this game have any kind of arena mode?

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Helith posted:

What kind of save would you want though? What level and how much side questing done? Files by that stage can be very different.
I'm just about to go to collect Uma but I'm level 24, alchemy build on death march and with a lot of side quests done including a lot of major choices such as romancing Yen, choosing Cerys etc. Post what kind of choices you want and if we match I'll work out some way to send you my file as there are no other offers.

On another note I feel that superior grapeshot even with only a couple points in cluster bombs surely constitutes some sort of war crime. :boom: :catstare:
It's raining men indeed.

I'll just take anything you have now. Kinda desperate atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I've encountered this glitch every time there's a NPC walking and holding a box and I freaking love it: