Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Everblight posted:

OK, longish post, but I need ya'll's help. My players just crested 200XP each, so I'm looking at the end-game for my EotE campaign (15 months, a decent run). A few months ago, while exploring some underground ruins, they awakened a Sith Lord who they then fled from as the "underground ruins" came online and the Victory-class Star Destroyer freed itself from its underground standby.

The players, now on Nar Shaddaa, found out from a pirate that "It's like Life Day out there, man, you can steal anything!" because the bulk of the Imperial fleet is massing around some pissant planet called Hoth for a military exercise or something, while the Sith Lord has begun enslaving planets and putting his 'subjects' to work in his fleet, expanding his empire.

I wanted to do something like the Galactic Readiness Map from Mass Effect 3 as the players spend the next 12 sessions or so winning support and materiel from systems that are neutral, with some sort of subsystem in place for that.

Witness: The Galaxy Control Map!

Or rather, this is what it looks like, printed out and placed in sleeves, then in two binder pages taped together:

The three categories (top to bottom) that the systems are ranked in are
  • Personnel (either quality or quantity of warm bodies for the war effort)
  • Materiel (ships, guns and other physical resources
  • Credits (straight-up money to throw at problems)

I also wanted to have each system have a special ability, though I have no idea how to implement them, and maybe some sort of "you can spend 3x a system's ratings to auto-conquer it rather than doing a side quest," but honestly that whole part is still half-formed. The pieces are in sleeves so I can write who controls them currently on wet-erase. Thoughts?

How does it relate back to the characters? Are they a third faction in opposition to the Imperials and the Sith Lord's forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Maybe you want the faction turn from Stars Without Number.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Hey there, new person thinking about getting into this system, specifically Force and Destiny. Is the F&D Beginner Box a good place to start or should I wait for the book to be released. The Dice seem like a good value, but I'm not sure if I would use them or just end up using a Dice Roller on my phone since the dice system in the game seems fairly complicated. Are the adventure and the expansion on the website worth buying the box for? The production values seem good, but I'm worried that the adventure itself might not be worth the money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

neaden posted:

Hey there, new person thinking about getting into this system, specifically Force and Destiny. Is the F&D Beginner Box a good place to start or should I wait for the book to be released. The Dice seem like a good value, but I'm not sure if I would use them or just end up using a Dice Roller on my phone since the dice system in the game seems fairly complicated. Are the adventure and the expansion on the website worth buying the box for? The production values seem good, but I'm worried that the adventure itself might not be worth the money.

If you're just getting in to the system, any of the three Beginner Boxes are absolutely worth the purchase. The dice are great value, as you said (and the system isn't really that complicated; just 3 different pairs of good and bad symbols), and the adventures for both Edge and Age were quite good. I haven't played the one in the F&D box yet, but judging by the quality of the last two boxes, it should be good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New bounty hunting adventure :cool:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/6/mask-of-the-pirate-queen/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alg posted:

New bounty hunting adventure :cool:

All I can think when I see that:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 7, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:swoon:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/8/keeping-the-peace/

Whiphids

I'll update the OP tonight with new announced products

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/8/keeping-the-peace/

Whiphids

I'll update the OP tonight with new announced products

Yesssssss, more books for my shelf! I'm very rapidly running out of room though..I'm going to have to split off product lines between two different shelves or something.

Has there really been no word yet on Bounty Hunter or Technician books for EotE?

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Nope, just the Edge advemture, the F&D core book, the F&D adventure, Strongholds for AoR, and now the Guardian sourcebook. Maybe at Gencon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vindicator posted:

Nope, just the Edge advemture, the F&D core book, the F&D adventure, Strongholds for AoR, and now the Guardian sourcebook. Maybe at Gencon.

I hope so! I'm pleased with the overall release schedule for the entire line...but I will admit I have a certain bias for finishing up the loose ends for Edge.

Given the pretty set 'pattern' of releases, it looks like we're going to see 12 supplements per flavor; 6 career splats, 3 adventures, and 3 setting books (at least). but now that we're jumping around between EotE, AoR, and FaD, more time passes between each release in any single line.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
With a Bounty Hunter adventure, I'm guessing it's both the next career book and that it won't be out for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the rough pattern of career books seems to be alternating between the "support/social" and "combat" focused ones (not that that distinction is really a big deal at all in this system), so I'm guessing we'll see Technician then Bounty Hunter.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm potentially getting into a game coming up, and looking through the rules there's a lot of ways to inflict strain on enemies: stun damage, Influence power, various Talents, etc. So how effective would be a combat strategy that focuses on doing stun and strain damage? Would it require the whole party to do the same to be good, or could a single character do that in a party of people dealing wound damage be flailing around uselessly?

I don't necessarily want to make a character who is a pacifist, but might be against senseless killing, and it seems like a character focused on nonlethal would also be set up well for "face" stuff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm potentially getting into a game coming up, and looking through the rules there's a lot of ways to inflict strain on enemies: stun damage, Influence power, various Talents, etc. So how effective would be a combat strategy that focuses on doing stun and strain damage? Would it require the whole party to do the same to be good, or could a single character do that in a party of people dealing wound damage be flailing around uselessly?

I don't necessarily want to make a character who is a pacifist, but might be against senseless killing, and it seems like a character focused on nonlethal would also be set up well for "face" stuff.

It would be effective, and many enemies you will face only have a single damage track -- regular damage and strain both reduce it. You would not need the whole party doing nonlethal to be effective.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

homullus posted:

It would be effective, and many enemies you will face only have a single damage track -- regular damage and strain both reduce it. You would not need the whole party doing nonlethal to be effective.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that, thanks. What about on Nemesis-class enemies? Is dropping strain for Talent and action denial a viable tactic for a fight or would that be a time to whip out the blaster and go to town?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ah, I'd forgotten about that, thanks. What about on Nemesis-class enemies? Is dropping strain for Talent and action denial a viable tactic for a fight or would that be a time to whip out the blaster and go to town?

It's definitely viable, but you have to keep your head down if they are combat-oriented Nemeses. One hit from many weapons will wreck a character without much soak.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Is there anyone at London, UK interested in playing a Star Wars game? I can provide dice and plenty of sourcebooks for EotE :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

F&D Core and GM Kit are shipping now :)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

alg posted:

Like my character doesn't already have enough XP sinks

Is nice to get full rules though for my Agitator/Emergent/Medic/Makashi

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Yesssssssssssssssss. I got $30 down so far on my at my FLGS, so I'm very excited!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

alg posted:

Knew it was about time to give Amazon more of my money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm kicking around the idea of running a PbP locked to the Colonist career, and set on a single planet. Does this sound viable and/or fun to anyone? Possible tweak would be some extra starting XP and the ability to buy into a second non-Colonist spec, but retaining the Colonist career as mandatory.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are enough specializations that it could make for a fun campaign.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I'm looking for success stories. Specifically, I'm looking for examples of when people used Advantage/Threat to really alter a scene in non-linear ways, or when a Triumph or Despair changed the course of a story in a dramatic way. I'll even take hypotheticals if they're applicable enough!

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Colonist is kind of a kitchen sink career, the only thing it doesn't do well is combat, which could make for pretty interesting problem solving

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mendrian posted:

So I'm looking for success stories. Specifically, I'm looking for examples of when people used Advantage/Threat to really alter a scene in non-linear ways, or when a Triumph or Despair changed the course of a story in a dramatic way. I'll even take hypotheticals if they're applicable enough!

Prison break scenario, droid and bounty hunter break into a security room and stealthy like, they are hacking the doors to cause a prisonbreak. The droid gets a bunch of success and a bunch of threat. The result is that the hack was successful but the droid did it too quickly, alerting everyone of the location of the door opening and a back of stormtrooopers trying to break down the one way exit. Instead of moving outside to regroup with the in-effect prison riot, they had to climb into a nearby vent, the bounty hunter dragging the astromech behind him and turning the scenario into a die hard situation while all hells breaking loose on the lower levels.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

jivjov posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of running a PbP locked to the Colonist career, and set on a single planet. Does this sound viable and/or fun to anyone? Possible tweak would be some extra starting XP and the ability to buy into a second non-Colonist spec, but retaining the Colonist career as mandatory.

I'm definitely intrigued.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

As said in IRC, I'm intrigued, but this game has an abysmal record with PBPs, so I'm leery.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I don't think I would ever run a PbP of this game. There's too much negotiation in any die roll, and every one of those negotiations is a chance for a time lag. Also, the game is more about planning your heist/attack/infiltration than many, and planning phases ALSO take a lot of back and forth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

homullus posted:

I don't think I would ever run a PbP of this game. There's too much negotiation in any die roll, and every one of those negotiations is a chance for a time lag. Also, the game is more about planning your heist/attack/infiltration than many, and planning phases ALSO take a lot of back and forth.

Part of what I try to combat said time lag is give the players more authority in determining what a dice result means. I'm willing to let people say "oh, I rolled three threat...a guard stumbles on me while I'm hot wiring the speeder" or whatever. I think the only things I'd definitely want final say on would be Triumph/Despair rolls.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Been Game Mastering regularly and just finished up the beginner adventure and the Long Arm of the Hut web adventure.

Definitely having a ton of fun but had some questions for veterans

-How to deal with repeating failed checks? For an example, if a player tries to sweet talk a NPC and fails, what's the best way to encourage them to try something different or allow them to try again?

-Any good places to look online for adventure ideas and hooks?

-Any advice for coming up with loot for a party to find at the end of an adventure session?

-More than half of the party isn't really built for combat, are there ways you folks can suggest to give them something to do during the fighting in an adventure?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

-How to deal with repeating failed checks? For an example, if a player tries to sweet talk a NPC and fails, what's the best way to encourage them to try something different or allow them to try again?

I am not a veteran by any means, but one thing I've found helps is just flat out not allow the character to repeat this kind of "sweet talk" check, unless they can come at it "from a different angle" via in-character conversing with the NPC. Sorta like how you might ask your mom for a cookie, she says no. You come back again after directing the conversation elsewhere before trying again from a different angle. Helps encourage roleplay and gives players a chance to try again, but only if they can be creative about how they approach it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Been Game Mastering regularly and just finished up the beginner adventure and the Long Arm of the Hut web adventure.

Definitely having a ton of fun but had some questions for veterans

Give them boosts from advantage, etc. Give them a hint that what they are doing isn't working and to reconsider it.

quote:

https://twitter.com/SWRPGAdventures

quote:

-Any advice for coming up with loot for a party to find at the end of an adventure session?

I don't really give my players loot. They earn credits to buy what they want or hijack stuff. Now that they are in Age of Rebellion they earn rewards through the Alliance.

quote:

-More than half of the party isn't really built for combat, are there ways you folks can suggest to give them something to do during the fighting in an adventure?

Scale back the number of combat encounters, or show them how to take talents like Scathing Tirade, etc. Also provide actions to take like "hack the terminal in blaster fire to shut down the ion cannon defending the hangar"

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Just off the top of my head, the Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Daley could cover both of these for an Edge of the Empire campaign. Don't be afraid to check the EU Legends books for ideas. Plot elements can make for fun short-term goals, and a long-running campaign could have an endgame like, say, the hunt for Xim the Despot's lost treasure ship.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Split the party! ...I know, you should never split the party, but the movies do this all the time. Han, Leia and Luke are shooting it out with stormtroopers while Artoo and Threepio are hacking the Death Star computers and Obi-wan is stealthily shutting down the tractor beam. In the end, it all comes together and they escape.

This is where good communication with your players can help. If you give the non-combatants an opportunity to get out of combat, suggest ways (or entertain their suggestions) for them to use their other skills to indirectly help their companions. Play to their strengths, they'll love you for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm having some combat woes I wanted to seek advice for. My table games have had a history of being very very social and narrative focused. Combat, such as it is, has been one or two characters firing off a couple shots and bad guys running or getting knocked out by the environment. I ran the first structured-time combat encounter for months last night, and I don't think I was doing things quite right...I had a 5-soak nemesis character as one of the opponents, and my players managed to do 12 wounds worth of damage to him in two shots. To be completely fair, this was happening in a seedy hotel conference room, so all the shots were at close range, meaning that even with Adversary 2, they were rolling a handful of Greens and Yellows against one Difficulty and one Challenge die. My other problem may be that my party is pretty "overleveled" since I was handing out WAY too much XP for the first 6 months of our game.

So do I need to just be cranking up the difficulty of encounters to counteract my player's excess ranks in weaponry skills, or what?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Encounter balance seems pretty hard to get just right, because weapons have the potential to do so much damage on any given hit. I'd say the best way to shake things up and make it more challenging is just to tie different narrative stuff onto it, like giving the players reasons that they might not want to just unload blaster-fire everywhere such as environmental hazards, innocent bystanders caught in the firing lanes, or situations where going in guns blazing would bring down even worse trouble than they already have. Turn their legendary combat prowess into it's own story hook; they've become such unstoppable badasses that now everybody in the galaxy is looking for them to do every stupid little job they want done, or because they're just too dangerous to let run around.

But in terms of bumping up encounter difficulty when you absolutely must have a climactic gun battle, a few ideas I've been planning on using for my own game (which has a similar issue of the PC's being murder gods in any sort of gunfight) is to have enemies closing in to Engaged range as soon as possible, since you take a penalty to ranged attacks if you're tied up in melee (unless they have weapon attachments or talents to negate it.) Maybe grenades or other methods the NPC's can use to stay in cover themselves while trying to flush the PC's out of theirs or just destroy it. I might start bumping soak up just a little bit on any dudes I think should last longer than a round or two, but I don't think I'd dare touch their damage output since it's just as easy for PC's to drop dead in a volley of blaster-fire. Maybe you could bring in some really scary looking heavy hitters, or swarm them with minions, then require a Fear check because they're now facing (theoretical) overwhelming odds. Or just go nuts with the darkside destiny points that you hopefully have.

On the whole I think you're meant to tune up or down encounters as the campaign progresses by watching how easilly the players wipe the floor with them, and making adjustments as necessary, but that seems pretty tough to do if you just aren't having a lot of fights.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I definitely noticed that my players were also taking what seemed to be an excessive amount of damage as well...Combat in this game seems to work best either, as you said, at engaged range, or when there's overall less dice being thrown per check.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm having some combat woes I wanted to seek advice for. My table games have had a history of being very very social and narrative focused. Combat, such as it is, has been one or two characters firing off a couple shots and bad guys running or getting knocked out by the environment. I ran the first structured-time combat encounter for months last night, and I don't think I was doing things quite right...I had a 5-soak nemesis character as one of the opponents, and my players managed to do 12 wounds worth of damage to him in two shots. To be completely fair, this was happening in a seedy hotel conference room, so all the shots were at close range, meaning that even with Adversary 2, they were rolling a handful of Greens and Yellows against one Difficulty and one Challenge die. My other problem may be that my party is pretty "overleveled" since I was handing out WAY too much XP for the first 6 months of our game.

So do I need to just be cranking up the difficulty of encounters to counteract my player's excess ranks in weaponry skills, or what?

Okay so FFG has this bizzarre problem with never ever giving enemies enough hp. A nemesis needs at least adversary 2, soak 5 and 30hp. Even then they aren't going to be particularly challenging and this is something fresh out of the gate characters can often take down. You dont need to crank the difficulty up but just give them more staying power. Have minion groups, you rarely want them to be on their own. A squad of 3 stormtroopers only increase their chance of getting an extra success by about 40% on their attack versus 3 individual stormtroopers having 3 attacks against the players. Its a way to make them a big sack of hitpoints without really increasing their combat effectiveness too much.

An actual long term nemesis should be getting 60+hp against any vaguely combat focused party and adversary 3. Also adversaries need multiple turns per round if they are alone against the players but giving them just two attacks against a player is dumb as it causes people to either die quickly or the nemesis is not doing enough damage for people to worry about. Instead give them two turns back to back but have 1 turn be utility actions. An Inquisitor enemy could use the force to throw someone across a room and then attack with his lightsaber, a bounty hunter could shoot his gun and then coil another up with bolas/rope launcher or something. It means the non-combat characters are being involved in the fight without just being hit and dropped and they have something to do thats not just attacking.

Don't depend on engagement to lock players up, they can just walk away from it and shoot the npc at short range on their turn.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 26, 2015

susan
Jan 14, 2013
First mission in a campaign with a new group: 9 hours from now.

Amount of mission written: The title of the adventure and opening scrawl.

Plan for next 8.5 hours: Facebook and sleep.

GM Preparation Skill Level: Expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

susan posted:

First mission in a campaign with a new group: 9 hours from now.

Amount of mission written: The title of the adventure and opening scrawl.

Plan for next 8.5 hours: Facebook and sleep.

GM Preparation Skill Level: Expert.

This is honestly why my group hasn't had a structured combat encounter in months; I'm terrible at doing combat off the cuff and I tend to just freewheel my sessions.