Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

What's your opinion re: butts, also re: legs

not a fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

not a fan

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Command and Conquer is the Citizen Kane of video games

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Evangelion is the Evangelion of anime.

I've been waiting to do this since the Mikagura thread started but it was never the right time :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Protip: If whatever you're comparing to Citizen Kane came out in the last ten years or less, it's not a suitable comparison.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I dunno why everyone in that thread seems to think she was doing a legit citizen kane comparison, but maybe they are just not ready to accept lil' wickedhate can actually fakepost now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jostiband posted:

I dunno why everyone in that thread seems to think she was doing a legit citizen kane comparison, but maybe they are just not ready to accept lil' wickedhate can actually fakepost now.

No, I was being serious at the time, I just should have put more thought into the things I was saying. Way too inflammatory, and makes it harder to talk about stuff that's even better than that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Protip: If whatever you're comparing to Citizen Kane came out in the last ten years or less, it's not a suitable comparison.

This

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

citizen lame

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

K. Flaps posted:

Shitizen Lame.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

poo poo i was beaten

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

WickedHate posted:

No, I was being serious at the time, I just should have put more thought into the things I was saying. Way too inflammatory, and makes it harder to talk about stuff that's even better than that.

Never make a Citizen Kane comparison with anything. It never ever ends well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Citizen Kane isn't just the go-to example of an important film because it's good. Its production influenced the way movies would come to be made and consumed. For anything to provide a proper point of comparison, it would have to be something that's been around long enough to measure its influence both within the context of its medium as well as the larger cultural consciousness surrounding it.

You could probably make a case for something like, say, Evangelion being the (or "A") Citizen Kane moment for anime, but not anything that's come out in recent memory. Even if KLK were a show of that caliber, it'd take several more years to see how it influenced the wider world of anime around it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

not a fan

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

K. Flaps posted:

Shitizen Lame.

Davincie posted:

citizen lame

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think Akira is closer to what would be considered an actual Citizen Kane comparison as far as anime goes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Possibly. There's also the fact that anime is as diverse and compartmentalized as any other medium, so the most influence robot show isn't necessarily going to make many waves within the realm of romantic comedy. Hence the idea of "A" Citizen Kane moment rather than "The" Citizen Kane moment.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dangerous Person posted:

I think Akira is closer to what would be considered an actual Citizen Kane comparison as far as anime goes.
Probably. Point is, you have to talk about things whose influence you have to have proper scope of, which takes years and years to develop.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Citizen.... Lain

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
http://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com/

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Video game journalist are the biggest retards in the world.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah seriously, everyone knows it's God Hand

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
littleorv Gravity's Rainbow has something for every kind of anime fan

Why is this guy literally Buddha?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

.jpg posted:

Citizen.... Lain

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

littleorv Gravity's Rainbow has something for every kind of anime fan

Why is this guy literally Buddha?

Wha?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ian Bogost posted:

Some would argue that videogames still haven’t produced their Citizen Kane… but neither have they fashioned their equivalent of the airline safety video.
I've definitely seen airline safety videos that were better than some video games.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

…those were two separate points whoops

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

…those were two separate points whoops

Oh book recommendation. I was really confused for a bit there haha

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
super mario world is the citizen cane of anime

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The mario anime

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm going to watch Ouran High School next since the woman who voiced Akashi also voices the main character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ouran is good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

ouran is good

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Or I can watch the Citizen Kane of anime, Kill la Kill

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You should watch the 2006 show with the better Haruhi.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Ouran High School Host Club is the citizen kafeafjkdkjdblkdfvm

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My friend said the art is bad in The Tatami Galaxy and I want to kick him.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jostiband posted:

mmm maybe you're rig

WickedHate posted:

lol it was real

rvm
May 6, 2013
Urusei Yatsura is Citizen Kane of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

.jpg posted:

Citizen.... Lain

• Locked thread