Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Alfalfa posted:

How many of you who do BJJ actually compete in it?

For those of you who do compete in it, how long did you train before doing your first competition?

I'm going to be starting it up in the fall and am really excited to be learning something new but also compete in it eventually.

I did my first tourney after 3 months, they aren't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

They're not that big of a deal, but they are expensive just to compete and take forever. Still you should do one every so often. Your teacher may even encourage as many as possible to compete because they all love listing competition points on their websites, of course those are just total number of wins or placing a with no regard to total number of competitors/win ratios.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

For those of you who do compete in it, how long did you train before doing your first competition?

I'm going to be starting it up in the fall and am really excited to be learning something new but also compete in it eventually.

I did my first (and only so far) comp right before I got my blue belt. I wanted to get a competition in a white. I got smashed (on points, didn't get subbed), but it was an educational experience. I didn't handle the nerves very well. I could see openings, but I wasn't breathing and was so tense I couldn't get to them.

I probably should have started with a smaller local event, instead of an IBJJF event, but hindsight is 20/20.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I did my first around three months in and fat as gently caress. They're horrible but also great, do at least one.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Kekekela posted:

I did my first around three months in and fat as gently caress. They're horrible but also great, do at least one.

Exactly like me! Got smashed by someone who wasn't as stupid as me. The first comp is the one to get out of the way, all the others have been easier, even if I do still dislike them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I did my first comp at about 12 months. I usually compete about twice a year now. It depends on what prior stuff you've learned, you're a hulking musclebeast right? You can probably jump straight in after 3-6 months and beat people with your athleticism.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

First competition a little less than a year after starting, did No-Gi division and got beaten like I owed the other guy money in the first round because I was [and still am just not as much] a fatty and bad at grappling by some dude built vaguely like the guy in your avatar. I aims to compete twice a year, at beginning level you should be able to smoke most competitors out of pure athleticism so long as you have a general idea of what the rules are and how to do one or three submissions.

VulgarandStupid posted:

They're not that big of a deal, but they are expensive just to compete and take forever.

Website: ADULT DIVISONS BEGIN PROMPTLY AT NOON BE ON TIME!! [your weight and gender is listed as starting estimated 12:30]
Guys at Gym: It always runs late, it'll probably be like 1:00/1:30
At Event: Divison runs late due to a bajillion kids signing up and a lack of referees/rings, your division doesn't start till 4:00 @.@

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 9, 2015

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm about seven months into learning Judo and I had a few questions. How do dojo's generally orient their teaching? Mine basically has us see a throw, do 5 or so reps, then move onto the next one. I know a dozen different throws, but I can't actually do any of them in randori. Is that normal? Am I just bad?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Travic posted:

So I'm about seven months into learning Judo and I had a few questions. How do dojo's generally orient their teaching? Mine basically has us see a throw, do 5 or so reps, then move onto the next one. I know a dozen different throws, but I can't actually do any of them in randori. Is that normal? Am I just bad?

As long as you're also getting randori time to practice, it's pretty normal for technique to not click until you've seen them a few times.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

I've competed a few times. First time was after about 3 months training, it was a round-robin setup and I got smashed 2 times and then americana'd a dude who had also trained about 3 months. It was the scariest sports thing I've ever done, but was also completely awesome. It took like 15 more competition matches before I won anything again

So yeah, competing after a fairly short time is possible, my coach encourages it, and I'm really glad I did it. I've heard of clubs where you're not even allowed to roll for the first two months though.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Fool posted:

As long as you're also getting randori time to practice, it's pretty normal for technique to not click until you've seen them a few times.

Well crap. Then I may just be terrible. I've been practicing throws for months and still can't pull any of them off. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Travic posted:

Well crap. Then I may just be terrible. I've been practicing throws for months and still can't pull any of them off. :(

Pick 3 throws that you like, find a buddy, show up early for a few consecutive weeks, and just drill em.

e. I'd suggest ko uchi, o uchi, and uchi mata as a good starting trio.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bangkero posted:

Yuns - good luck to your team mate Travis Stevens. I could have scored free tickets on the Sunday when most of the judokas I've heard of are competing, but I'll be watching the Rugby sevens.
Thanks for the heads up. I had totally missed any information about the Pan Am Games. Travis is a beast and I'll be following any of his matches.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

CommonShore posted:

Pick 3 throws that you like, find a buddy, show up early for a few consecutive weeks, and just drill em.

e. I'd suggest ko uchi, o uchi, and uchi mata as a good starting trio.

I can't show up early unfortunately because a BJJ class has the mat, but I'll see what I can do. I really want to get better.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfalfa posted:

I started training in early 2007 and then started competing about 3 months after i started. The first couple of tournaments I did were of the regional variety (In the DC area, so like grapplers quest, us grappling, naga). I went in with the mindset of not wanting to take them to seriously, but primarily wanting to test myself against folks whose gampelans i didn't really know.

Start doing tournaments early when you don't really have any expectations. If you wait a few years, and somehow get promoted to blue belt without doing comps, you might start developing some weird psychological things which make you freak out over comps. I think since I started when I was a newb and then compete about 5-6 times a year, they're really not a bit thing to me anymore.

7 years later, I still don't "train" before regional comps, or even the smaller ibjjf tournaments, because i'm always training fairly good (i.e., our gym is usually big enough for us to start from our feet) and there's no real point. For the bigger ibjjf tournaments, we start training harder about 6 weeks out and then, it's more of a change in intensity more than anything else.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 9, 2015

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Thanks everyone. I'm really excited to get started and I'm not sure I would say I'm super athletic or anything, I just train hard.

I've competed and been decently successful in stuff like football and track in college, then powerlifting, strongman, CrossFit, but really want something I can focus on for many many years and enjoy but not have to wait years to actually compete in.

I'm training right now to fix some nagging injuries and issues and move my body better and will be starting up in October.

I've been following the thread for awhile and wish I could start sooner, but the school I was recommended only offers it 3 x week and they fall at the same time as my 4 year old son's soccer practices.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfalfa posted:

I've competed and been decently successful in stuff like football and track in college, then powerlifting, strongman, CrossFit, but really want something I can focus on for many many years and enjoy but not have to wait years to actually compete in.

Honestly, especially at the white belt and a lot of regional blue belt competitions, being in super-shape will probably win you out on a lot of matches in itself. I can't tell you how many matches I've someone just scoff technique and brute force something into happening. In the lower levels, where everyone's technique is bad, being strong and having good cardio can do wonders.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alfalfa posted:

Thanks everyone. I'm really excited to get started and I'm not sure I would say I'm super athletic or anything, I just train hard.

I'm training right now to fix some nagging injuries and issues and move my body better and will be starting up in October.

I've been following the thread for awhile and wish I could start sooner, but the school I was recommended only offers it 3 x week and they fall at the same time as my 4 year old son's soccer practices.

Hate to be the one to break the unfortunate news but if you competed in college football and track then you are, in fact, super athletic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hate to be the one to break the unfortunate news but if you competed in college football and track then you are, in fact, super athletic.

Unless it was at, like, Caltech.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Unless it was at, like, Caltech.

My school's basketball team lost to Caltech. Yay DIII or whatever the gently caress we were!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Also watch our for euros trying to confuse you by referring to high school as college.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
BJJ is a second sport for me, I train once a week at a uni club that closes down half the year when the goddamn lazy undergrads go home. I competed at white belt after like a year of that, and if I'd been training consistently even twice a week I'd probably have been at that level in well under 6 months.

I pretty much agree with everyone else - it wasn't a big deal at all, I just happened to score a ticket for a comp from someone who dropped out with an injury. I won pretty much on athleticism, being pretty bad at actual bjj, and you too could do the same!

To be honest BJJ doesn't seem to have a super high level of athleticism at the lower grades, since there's such a focus on relaxation and technique. I've had amateur boxing fights and dabbled in a few other things, and they all put way higher emphasis on fitness. There's always gonna be the odd person who's a "white belt" but has been wrestling for ten years or happens to deadlift 3x their bodyweight or whatever, but if you're competing in other sports you'll be ahead of most bjj guys for a fair while.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How do strikers here deal with damage and getting beat up? If it would be just pain during training, I could deal with it somehow, but going to a nighshift or waking up for work in the morning with damage (a headache, limping, sore ribs) is the worst and I quit striking alltogether after realizing that. With grappling and judo you mostly get sore muscles, not counting accidents, which can be very rare if you are careful with your rolling and randori.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I pretty much had to quit striking for that reason; I got a proper job, can't have a bruised face, and am not good enough to guarantee I won't have one. That and BJJ has hosed my right hand up so it feels like I'm punching concrete for the last six months...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not a competitor, but I only spar with people I trust and/or with good supervision. If I feel any negative after-effects from headshots I take at least a month off of anything except basic tag drills.

I've never taken a body shot that left me sore the next day. I've had way worse rib/torso injuries from rolling than from boxing.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The trick is to be very good at striking, be very good at running away, or be very cordial and gentle with your partner so they won't want to harm your person. Third option is not a joke suggestion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

The trick is to be very good at striking, be very good at running away, or be very cordial and gentle with your partner so they won't want to harm your person. Third option is not a joke suggestion.

I actually use the third option combined with lots of practice on my defense. The trick is that it only works with people who understand that there isn't really winning at sparring.

Strangely enough, there are some really hard sluggers - guys with knockout streaks in amateur loving boxing - who like sparring with me now and again because they've noticed that going 20-30% allows them to practice things that can be difficult to worry about when you're in a hard sparring session that has become a firefight, such as experimenting with counters.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just started Gi -BJJ this week and my hammer-toes and knees are torn to poo poo. Would wrapping the toe joints in athletic tape help or am I just going to have to wait to develop calluses on there so they don't scrape up so easily?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Just wait till your skin hardens up a bit; should take like a week or two.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

How do strikers here deal with damage and getting beat up? If it would be just pain during training, I could deal with it somehow, but going to a nighshift or waking up for work in the morning with damage (a headache, limping, sore ribs) is the worst and I quit striking alltogether after realizing that.

You just sort of live with it. If you keep catching damage on a sparring day, you just cut the number of rounds you do short. I don't have a job with any physical demands. If I did construction or something, I'd probably do way fewer rounds.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just quit boxing altogether. It was ~9 years ago when all the new brain injury science was coming out, and it freaked me out so I went and started grappling instead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just quit boxing altogether. It was ~9 years ago when all the new brain injury science was coming out, and it freaked me out so I went and started grappling instead.

All that science was like a tire strip to my motivation. I still spar, but in much much more limited volume, with a hell of a lot less enthusiasm for brawling.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Is there any truth to conditioning your stomach and abs to punches, like doing leg raises whilst being slapped on your abs with a glove?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

willie_dee posted:

Is there any truth to conditioning your stomach and abs to punches, like doing leg raises whilst being slapped on your abs with a glove?

Ah yes, the great acronym arts of TKD, MT, BJJ and MMA have another, lesser known cousin, BDSM.

Sorry.

I mean it's true that people do that. Experiencing pain will inure you to it to an extent, but as far as getting better at the sport just the leg lifts is probably going to do you the same as leg lifts plus slapping.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People do it with medicine balls, too. I think it's supposed to be about keeping your breathing going through disruptions more than it's about any kind of conditioning in the sense of conditioning your shins/knuckles.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I think it's more mental than physical. If you watch pros they rarely take a flush body shot in a sensitive area. And when they do, they seem to react like a normal person.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I think it's more mental than physical. If you watch pros they rarely take a flush body shot in a sensitive area. And when they do, they seem to react like a normal person.

Or you can do what one of coaches did. He had shingles on his back so he took our heavy bag, pulled it back and swung it into his back where the shingles were. It was to increase his pain tolerance. He also burned ringworm with a car cig light.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bangkero posted:

Speaking of judo, I scored free tickets to the judo medal rounds on Saturday at the pan am games. Womens 48kg and 52kg, then Mens 60kg. I'm not familiar with anyone in these weight classes - if anyone knows of an athlete I should look out for I'd love to hear about it. List here.

Yuns - good luck to your team mate Travis Stevens. I could have scored free tickets on the Sunday when most of the judokas I've heard of are competing, but I'll be watching the Rugby sevens.
Travis won gold which is fantastic but the amount of media coverage he got seemed like almost nothing unfortunately.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Yuns posted:

Travis won gold which is fantastic but the amount of media coverage he got seemed like almost nothing unfortunately.
yeah the majority of pan am coverage around here is of the Canadians winning medals. :canada: But congrats to him. He looked super comfortable and completely outclassed his opponents. I'm not sure if the commentator was exaggerating or not, but he quoted Travis as saying he trains 48 hours a week. :stare:

Just FYI to everyone, Pan Ams judo is done but wrestling is going on right now and boxing is starting on July 18. CBC has online streaming and you can also access previous events: http://panam.cbc.ca/online-listing/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bangkero posted:

I'm not sure if the commentator was exaggerating or not, but he quoted Travis as saying he trains 48 hours a week. :stare:

I feel like I live at my gym and I only do like.... 10 a week. That's nuts.

• Locked thread