Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone bought F1 2015? It's a giant pile of unplayable cack. Thank god for the new refund feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fuckpot posted:

Anyone bought F1 2015? It's a giant pile of unplayable cack. Thank god for the new refund feature.

It's getting reamed by the Steam reviews, and the top 5-6 have paragraph long breakdowns of the essential game failures.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Fun Times! posted:

I just got a boat for the first time after doing part of the main quest in The Witcher 3 and I ended up on an island that had an abandoned tower and it spooked me. I wasn't expecting creepy poo poo to happen in this game. It's a good game so far and I recommend it on any platform.
I didn't want to use GOG Galaxy at first but I wanted to save twenty bucks so I got it at a discount and don't have any problems with the client. I was actually having problems at first when trying to download the game's seven part installation from the GOG website, but someone told me to just let Galaxy download it instead and it worked like a charm. The only thing I was upset about is that I can't show off my achievements on Steam but really who gives a poo poo about those?

e. Also I'm level 5 in the game and I already have a diagram for a sword that I can't use until level 37. That's pretty weird.

This here :australia: just got his tax notice in the mail, gunna use some of these government funbucks to get myself a 4GB 970 just so I can play this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

This here :australia: just got his tax notice in the mail, gunna use some of these government funbucks to get myself a 4GB 970 just so I can play this.

How the hell did you even manage to get the tax site to stay online long enough to finish your return?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Testekill posted:

Some people are super autistic about having to use multiple libraries. It's not like it's well know that the only version of Witcher 3 that comes with steam keys are ones that you purchase on steam or anything.

It's not well known.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

It's not well known.

Well, it tells you on the store page. :getin::unsmigghh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Go to your library on GOG.com under "account" and click on the game.

Download all these via your browser into the same location.

GOG Galaxy downloaded half of a visual C++ update, canceled itself, then said it succeeded and automatically moved on. Then my computer wouldn't start. Don't risk it.

Don't do this, use GoG Downloader, which is still separate from Galaxy. Downloader does it all in one go. Linkies

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drifter posted:

Well, it tells you on the store page. :getin::unsmigghh:

Sure, if you know where to look and bother to check. For years and countless other games it hasn't been necessary to check that you're getting a Steam key for a game that is definitely on Steam, so it's not surprising that people are being surprised with The Witcher 3 breaking the trend.

Kingsley
Apr 21, 2007
Grimey Drawer
GMG really do go all out and spoil you when they hand out mystery games... enjoy Huntsman: The Orphanage 6FDP0-76QEQ-IZZNR

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

pentyne posted:

It's getting reamed by the Steam reviews, and the top 5-6 have paragraph long breakdowns of the essential game failures.

Well! I had to turn away a disappointed customer at work about a week ago who wanted to preorder F1 2015 for PC and it wouldn't go through in our system. Turns out we weren't actually going to get any copies of it on PC when we phoned the higher ups (which was the first we'd heard of it), so clearly the publishers already knew it was going to be poo poo.

Looks like the guy dodged a bullet though! Unless he ended up buying it on Steam or something :v:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

SynthOrange posted:

How the hell did you even manage to get the tax site to stay online long enough to finish your return?

Haven't lodged yet due to mygov shittiness, but I know how much return I'm getting for reasons.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

QuarkJets posted:

Sure, if you know where to look and bother to check. For years and countless other games it hasn't been necessary to check that you're getting a Steam key for a game that is definitely on Steam, so it's not surprising that people are being surprised with The Witcher 3 breaking the trend.
Checking if a store gives you a Steam key has been a regular thing for years, we get questions itt from now and then from people asking if a particular deal gives you a Steam key. It's a normal thing with Uplay games too, lately it was even GTA 5. Basically every game that exists on a couple different digital platforms is suspect and it's no secret that Witcher 3 has a GOG version, people know this. Not letting you glance at the DRM of the bought product sure is lovely, I won't argue with that but it's really not a new thing to double check DRM options on stores like GMG, Gamersgate or Amazon. I think it's bullshit that GMG doesn't do refunds of unused keys as that should be a way to handle situations like this.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 12, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh yeah, I forgot about how GTA 5 went through its Social Club launcher or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do any non-Steam vendors even offer Steam codes for The Witcher 3? I kinda assumed it would always be GOG offsite since it's CDPR's thing.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kin posted:

Cool, i will do. As soon as i find a Steam version that isn't ridiculously overpriced. £50, lol :rolleyes:

You're going to have to get used to this - Valve appear to have re-jigged their prices recently and have decided that giving the UK by far the most expensive prices (20% extra on top of EU prices which are 20% over US prices) is a thing that was worth doing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sometimes Valve does strike gold. By trying to kowtow to European Union demands on consumer rights, Valve is solving two problems that were plaguing them and would become increasingly more problematic now that they have a "console" in the race:

1) the fact most people were buying Steam games from outside Steam. Them allowing publishers to generate how many keys they wanted to sell offsite was instrumental for the growth of Steam, but now it's just tons of revenue lost. Refunds that you can only get by buying through Steam change that because some people will think why they would risk their money just to save $5 or whatever by buying elsewhere.

2) the fact most console to PC ports are shoddy as gently caress. This is a big problem when they want to offer a console-like experience. Refunds force publishers to think twice if they really want to release another shoddy game on PC because the time to release a lovely game and go "oops, we are sorry about that, we promise not to do it next time" while laughing all the way to the bank is over. Stuff like Arkham Knight and the Mac version of FFXIV being removed from Steam? That would never have happened one year ago; they'd just get your money and tell you to gently caress off.

This is something I just realized as F1 2015 came out. It will be one of the last examples of this attitude, because it has to be. It would be just inconceivable to keep losing tons of money by rushing ports or hiring poo poo companies (HVS et al). They could do this stuff before, but now? Change or die.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 12, 2015

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're going to have to get used to this - Valve appear to have re-jigged their prices recently and have decided that giving the UK by far the most expensive prices (20% extra on top of EU prices which are 20% over US prices) is a thing that was worth doing.

I thought the publishers set the prices, not Valve?

Also several pages late but a Gen 1 Transformers made by Platinum is almost too much for me to handle. I got emotional seeing that trailer. No jokes I was getting misty.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
F1 2015 was amazing. I opened it just as I was leaving for work and configured the graphics and ran a quick benchmark. It crashed at the end and I left for work thinking hmm that's odd. I come home and there's a patch with that issue and others fixed.

So I jump into the game to perform a few laps and what's this? I am in gear 1 and the engine just revs and the car goes nowhere. Am I doing something wrong? Some sort of new clutch feature or something? Nope, plenty of other people are experiencing the exact same problem. You literally cannot drive the car. The refund feature is a god send.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Centipeed posted:

Also several pages late but a Gen 1 Transformers made by Platinum is almost too much for me to handle. I got emotional seeing that trailer. No jokes I was getting misty.

Most likely it is going to be another Korra, so dont get your hopes up

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Centipeed posted:

I thought the publishers set the prices, not Valve?

IIRC there are recommended ratios for the different regions. So a $60 game in US equals a £50 game in UK region. Except it used to be $60 equalled £40, which is far closer to the actual exchange rate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AirRaid posted:

IIRC there are recommended ratios for the different regions. So a $60 game in US equals a £50 game in UK region. Except it used to be $60 equalled £40, which is far closer to the actual exchange rate.

Not to mention one of the two EU regions which often has the same price as the US. As in, switching the $ for a euro sign.

Ask me about paying 50% more for the same game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

That... doesn't seem right. :stare:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

WarLocke posted:

That... doesn't seem right. :stare:

Yeah something broke. I have something similar on idlemaster. Meanwhile the steam profile with enhanced steam shows 0 card drops remaining whne I know I have like 200 or so left.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

It's literally the first words beneath the pictures at the top of every page, dude. If you "know where to look" means if you know how to read.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Drifter posted:

It's literally the first words beneath the pictures at the top of every page, dude. If you "know where to look" means if you know how to read.

I think the original complaint re: Witcher 3 and GMG was from the VIP section, you had to add it directly to your cart from there, and it doesn't say anything during the checkout process about which platform it is. The regular store page states the platform/DRM but the VIP page wasn't the normal store page for the better deals.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mr. nobody posted:

I think the original complaint re: Witcher 3 and GMG was from the VIP section, you had to add it directly to your cart from there, and it doesn't say anything during the checkout process about which platform it is. The regular store page states the platform/DRM but the VIP page wasn't the normal store page for the better deals.

Yeah, and we all discussed how lovely of GMG that was to do - whether by design or error - and seriously, screw them for not refunding an unused key. But Quarkjets is just advocating blindly purchasing random poo poo without checking. Like, some measure of due diligence is necessary on the buyer's end if you're buying a thing to work on another thing - maybe not a lot, but some.

Assumption and expectation are two of the largest fault points in anything.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 12, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AirRaid posted:

We've been in a relative era of of currency conversion goodwill, IIRC there were several examples of games with $ swapped for £ during Steams rise to glory in the late 00s.

I assume they figured the goodwill wasn't going anywhere because anyone buying a game outside of sales or Nuuvem will pay anything and started moving things closer back to figures expected by purchase power parity.

For luxury goods like vidya games it sucks but shouldn't be surprising to see pricing where $=€=£

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's to stop someone from using the key after getting the refund? I don't think resellers can invalidate keys, so it makes sense they won't refund them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a7m2 posted:

What's to stop someone from using the key after getting the refund? I don't think resellers can invalidate keys, so it makes sense they won't refund them.

They can and do invalidate them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Shadow of Mordor deal at Bundle Stars is running again. $20 for the game + DLC

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-bundle/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/indie/expeditions-conquistador/#item-s1

Greenman Gaming has a steam key for Conquistadors Expeditions for $4. It's a really good South American Might and Magic Heroes-y/XCOM-lite rpg. It's got a good story and everything.

Someone mentioned that 20% coupon works on these things, too. it's a good game if you like the screenshots.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How's With Fire & Sword compared to the other Mount and Blade games?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drifter posted:

Yeah, and we all discussed how lovely of GMG that was to do - whether by design or error - and seriously, screw them for not refunding an unused key. But Quarkjets is just advocating blindly purchasing random poo poo without checking. Like, some measure of due diligence is necessary on the buyer's end if you're buying a thing to work on another thing - maybe not a lot, but some.

Assumption and expectation are two of the largest fault points in anything.

No, I'm not. Christ you're dense. I'm pointing out that other people have been blindsided by the exact thing that you're complaining about in this post

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How's With Fire & Sword compared to the other Mount and Blade games?

Not worth a dime.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Warband is the only Mount & Blade you need.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Until Mount & Blade 2 comes out anyway.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In a nearby thread Derek Smart expresses opinions on Battlecruiser...

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, once in awhile I look at them, and I go "yikes" too. You're in good company.
...Alganon...

D_Smart posted:

It's doing fine. Since it's not a copy of any other game, it's all good. Just because a game has similar mechanics, gameplay etc, doesn't make it a copy. That's just the stuff of lawsuits.
...and...

D_Smart posted:

I'm cheap, and experienced like that. Case in point, Line Of Defense cost me less than $15m and contains every single feature they're trying to build
I'm almost convinced to try them.

Here's a lego shot

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I know somebody suggested it earlier in the thread but the magic circle owns and you should buy it if you like story heavy games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SelenicMartian posted:

In a nearby thread Derek Smart expresses opinions on Battlecruiser...

...Alganon...

...and...

I'm almost convinced to try them.

Here's a lego shot

Please don't post suggestive pictures where it looks like you're having sex with furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Deakul posted:

Please don't post suggestive pictures where it looks like you're having sex with furniture.
Lego's always been about the studs.

• Locked thread