Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

divabot posted:

I have a copy of Superfreakonomics because I got it for Christmas from a loved one desperate to find something they could actually get me for a present. It's the same market Glibwell targets.

(yes, I read it. No, it's glib bullshit. Yes, I gritted my teeth in a smile and said "thank you!")

Jesus christ, I knew that Gladwell was a shilling piece of poo poo, but that revisionist civil rigths history stuff makes him as bad as any of the people in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Someone once called Malcolm Gladwell self-help for people who consider themselves too erudite to read self-help and I cannot help but agree.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

eschaton posted:

If you're looking for a guide to "turns-out" "journalism" check out The SHAME Project. It's kind of like this thread, but for hack propagandists in the service of the right wing.

Hey, Mark Ames writes for that site! He's got some pretty shameful stuff in his past:

quote:

We have been pretty rough on our girls. We’d ask our Russian staff to flash their asses or breasts for us. We’d tell them that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they’d have to perform unprotected anal sex with us. Nearly every day, we asked our female staff if they approved of anal sex. That was a fixation of ours. “Can I gently caress you in the rear end? Huh? I mean, without a rubber? Is that okay?” It was all part of the fun

quote:

Page 153, written from Ames’s perspective:

..Katya sat on my lap and told me she had some exciting news: she was pregnant, and I was the father!

I panicked. Children are my worst nightmare–worse than worst…

“No, Katya, you don’t understand. I cannot have a child. I do not like children. I hatethem. They disgust me, physically.”

“But I can’t have an abortion,” she pleaded. “I was told that if I did, I’d never be able to have a child.”

I knew she was bluffing, so I countered with the RU-486 pill. I offered to fly to France, pick one up, and bring it back for her. “It’s totally safe,” I cheerily offered.

“I can’t do that,” she said. ‘I can’t kill our child.”

Right then, I stared at Katya with a look–I’m not sure how it appeared to her, but in my mind, I was starting to contemplate two courses of action: murder, or AWOL.

“What will you do, kill me?” she said, laughing nervously.

“Maybe, yeah,” I replied. “I’ll throw you off my balcony. I’ll make it look like an accident.”

She started to cry, but I was relentless. I told her that if she had the child, she would be killing me, so it was an act of self-defense. And if I didn’t kill her, then I would flee Moscow and she’d never find me….I was relentless. I attacked her the Russian way: I wore her down for hours during the KGB interrogation-style…

At 5:30 the next morning, Katya, acting the martyr, quietly slipped out of my apartment, made a beeline to the abortion clinic, and sucked the little fucker out.”

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/10/30/the-exile-guys-have-a-lot-to-answer-for/

quote:

And Ames's treatment of Russian teenage girls is documented with frightening glee. In the book he recounts one evening with an expat investment banker pal and what he thought were three 16-year-old girls:

"When I went back into the TV room, Andy pulled me aside with a worried grin on his face. 'Dude do you realize...do you know how old that Natasha is?' he said.

"'Sixteen?'

"'No! No, she's fif-teen. Fif-teen.' Right then my pervometer needle hit the red. I had to have her, even if she was homely."

After they do it, she tells him she has a three-month-old baby.

"It was hard to imagine that Natasha had squatted out a baby," Ames writes. "Her oval office was as tight as a cat's rear end....I'd slept with mothers before--they're a lot wider. Sex with them is like probing a straw in a mildew-lined German beer mug."

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/beast-in-the-east/Content?oid=902762

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hadaka Apron posted:

Hey, Mark Ames writes for that site! He's got some pretty shameful stuff in his past:

Yep.

Doesn't make the stuff he's written for SHAME, NSFWCORP, or Pando wrong.

Also, I've heard is that the Exile stuff was more than a bit embellished, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

eschaton has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jul 7, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

eschaton posted:

If you're looking for a guide to "turns-out" "journalism" check out The SHAME Project. It's kind of like this thread, but for hack propagandists in the service of the right wing..
This thread updates far more frequently and still has people posting in it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You guys are too hard on Aurini. I mean, he's a self-obsessed opportunistic worm, but have you seen how hot his girlfriend is?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

eschaton posted:

Also, I've heard is that the Exile stuff was more than a bit embellished, but I have no idea how accurate that is.
Maybe a bit, but Taibbi is pretty much just another casualty of Hunter S. Thompson's inexplicably long-lived influence on journalism.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Ah, Mr Aurini, about the child care job. We've just been looking through your Twitter

and we'll get back to you. No no, don't call us.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

divabot posted:

Ah, Mr Aurini, about the child care job. We've just been looking through your Twitter

and we'll get back to you. No no, don't call us.

I like how the other people in that Twitter conversation just keep on trucking like Aurini didn't just say pedophilia was cool.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My favorite part is that it had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

My favorite part is that it had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Yeah. I was sorta going "... what? did Twitter hiccup or something?" These are friends talking amongst themselves; possibly they have discussed this topic at length elsewhere. (And isn't that a lovely thought.)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I always love rationalist pissing contests.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Canadian militants are so quaint. They are convinced that the only reason America hasn't invaded (again!) is because of the RCMP being the equivalent of Mossad or something. And they're sooo racist like holy poo poo whoa did that guy just really say that about the aboriginals on the land he now occupies?! :allears:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

coyo7e posted:

Canadian militants are so quaint. They are convinced that the only reason America hasn't invaded (again!) is because of the RCMP being the equivalent of Mossad or something. And they're sooo racist like holy poo poo whoa did that guy just really say that about the aboriginals on the land he now occupies?! :allears:

Yeah. I can confirm that Canada is full of horrible racists. :smith:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Yeah. I can confirm that Canada is full of horrible racists. :smith:

Well, Brocket 99 exists, and no one thinks that it's racist. Seriously, none of the Canadians I talked with about that saw much wrong with that.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

coyo7e posted:

The last time we tried that you jerks burned down the white house so we're perfectly fine letting you Chanuks pretend you're actually a country now. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey, so a poster on /r/badsocialscience(a subreddit dedicated to mocking poor understandings of social sciences and sociology on reddit and in general one of the better places on the site) decided to go through and dissect the source on racist subreddit /r/coontown's sidebar.

It's pretty great. The connection to the Dark Enlightenment is a bit tenuous, but people like Nick Land, Heartiste, and Steve Sailer get mentioned and some coontown posters get really upset and make fools of themselves in the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BadSocialScience/comments/3cdz2z/rcoontowns_human_biodiversity_resource/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I've been lurking r/badsocialscience with gusto. That series of posts is pretty exemplary. I've had my suspicions about Cochran and Harpending for years now, and those posts make it pretty clear where they fit into all this.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

neonnoodle posted:

I've been lurking r/badsocialscience with gusto. That series of posts is pretty exemplary. I've had my suspicions about Cochran and Harpending for years now, and those posts make it pretty clear where they fit into all this.

Anyone who's done any research in the field knows how full of poo poo Cochran is, he's not a scientist, but a polemicist.

Jon Marks explains here:

quote:

And Darlington’s work has its successors as well. In particular, a newish dopey genetic history of the human species, called The 10,000 Year Explosion, by a physicist, Gregory Cochran, and an anthropologist, Henry Harpending. The theme is pretty much the same as Darlington’s: The authors know a bit of genetics, and they’re going make that about 10% of the story they want to tell, and creatively imagine the other 90%, but not take too much trouble to distinguish them for readers. Cochran and Harpending begin with the proposition that the human gene pools have been tweaked by things like malaria resistance and lactase persistence over the last 10,000 years, from which they conclude that many aspects of our gene pool have been tweaked as well over much shorter spans of time, for psychological traits, resulting in the major outlines of history, such as the agricultural revolution, scientific revolution, and industrial revolution.

There are differences between The Evolution of Man and Society and The 10,000 Year Revolution, to be sure. Darlington’s work was over 750 pages of small font, erudite, tightly-spaced bullshit, while The 10,000 Year Explosion is 288 pages of ignorant, widely-spaced bullshit. Where Darlington’s bullshit about the ancient Greeks ran to scores of pages of make-believe genetics, Cochran and Harpending dispense with them in just a couple of paragraphs, noting that the ancient Greeks had colonies and that their gene pools fought off malaria. Of rather more interest to them are the Etruscans, “a somewhat mysterious people who spoke a non-Indo-European language that we have not yet deciphered.” But undeterred by such agnotological issues, they explain that the “Etruscans added a healthy dose of Middle eastern, agriculture-shaped alleles into the Roman mix. We have reason to suspect that those alleles shaped attitudes as well as affecting metabolism and disease resistance” (p. 144).

Go read the whole article, it's a good rejoinder on modern scientific racism and how it's based on either no evidence or draws unwarranted conclusions from what evidence is there, ignoring all criticism.

But yes, most of Cochran's "work" is crap that's not, at the least, mainstream in the relevant fields.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a bit of a Sam Harris fan and in a recent podcast, he noted that he's currently "in conversation with an AI researcher who doesn't even have a high school degree".

So there goes the neighborhood.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

I'm a bit of a Sam Harris fan and in a recent podcast, he noted that he's currently "in conversation with an AI researcher who doesn't even have a high school degree".

So there goes the neighborhood.

I'm so sorry

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's okay, for a pro-gun interventionist islamophobe whose worldview is the intersection of LSD+Buddhist meditation and 9/11 trauma, he's turned out fairly alright!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

It's okay, for a pro-gun interventionist islamophobe whose worldview is the intersection of LSD+Buddhist meditation and 9/11 trauma, he's turned out fairly alright!

Well I did really like him in Tropic Thunder and Zoolander.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well I did really like him in Tropic Thunder and Zoolander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aof6h6KTOs0

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Cingulate posted:

I'm a bit of a Sam Harris fan

Why?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of answer do you want - a biographical one, where I explain how I started listening to Hitchens a lot because I became interested in oratory and so on, an appraisal, where II talk about Harris' arguments I like, or a meta one, where we all (unironically) give that 1. we're all liberals etc. and understand Harris is shunned because he's almost a racist and definitely an imperialist and I have to defend how I could have the audacity to diverge from the implicitly approved groupthink?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I don't think he's "almost" a racist. He is a racist.

Also a fascist sympathizer:

Sam Harris posted:

"When I search my heart, I discover that I want to keep the barbarians beyond the city walls just as much as my conservative neighbors do, and I recognize that sacrifices of my own freedom may be warranted for this purpose. I expect that epiphanies of this sort could well multiply in the coming years"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
E: I'm dumb

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jul 11, 2015

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cingulate posted:

E: I'm dumb
We knew that when you said "groupthink."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

What kind of answer do you want - a biographical one, where I explain how I started listening to Hitchens a lot because I became interested in oratory and so on, an appraisal, where II talk about Harris' arguments I like, or a meta one, where we all (unironically) give that 1. we're all liberals etc. and understand Harris is shunned because he's almost a racist and definitely an imperialist and I have to defend how I could have the audacity to diverge from the implicitly approved groupthink?

Is it too late to still get number three? I think we all want to hear number three.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

With fantasy novels they'd probably be more into Sword of Truth novels, where a single strong white man has to kill everyone who disagrees with him, take any woman he wants, and beat children that mouth off too him. Also, you literally have to devout yourself to him or the leader of the big evil collectivist empire will get you.

At the end of the books he uses the dragonballs wishes to make two worlds, one with magic and one without, and he is literally God of the one without, which was EARTH.

The only non-white people I remember in the books is called the Mud People.

Didn't he murder all these anti war types in one of the books? I got through the first one where he kicked a child in the mouth causing her to lose her tongue and it was treated as fine. Also how do you get Heavy Metal associated with these people, well besides obviously Vargs and his ilk?

Crowsbeak has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jul 11, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
He did murder unarmed pacifists, yes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't think he's "almost" a racist. He is a racist.

Also a fascist sympathizer:
You can cherry-pick quotes to make him look genuinely psychopathic, but this is not I think a fair assessment.
Contrast this with somebody like Aurini, who you'd have to cherry-pick hard to make him look anything but insane.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is it too late to still get number three? I think we all want to hear number three.
I'll try to somehow connect it to the thread topic.

tl;dr: I don't follow him on foreign policy suggestions and more generally regarding how to deal with the problems he more or less correctly diagnoses, in large part due to a strange americocentrism, but that does not devalue his points about the logic of belief. You have to understand him as somebody who should never be allowed to speak to anybody but 1. firm liberals who understand their own position well, 2. Christian fundamentalist who consider leaving the movement. If you do that, that which is my thesis becomes much clearer: Harris is not a neoreactionary.

He shares some of their views, especially a deep belief in Western-style modes of reasoning and organizing societies (although not in much detail), a self-styled extreme utilitarianism and pragmatism, and technological optimism, and the usual criticism of all of these positions may still apply. But I assume he is fundamentally motivated by liberal, humanist motives, which he understands to be incompatible with religion. Imagine Sam Harris making an argument sort of like this: Islamism leads to the oppression of women, such as Malala being shot for trying to enlighten herself, thus Islamism must be combatted. Consider how you judge his motives here. Possibly, in your head, Harris is motivated by hatred of Islam/Muslims/"arab" culture etc, and disingenuously employs superficially liberal rhetoric, such as the empowerment of women, to make his underlyingly racist case. Yes; this could be true, although even in that case, he wouldn't be a neorectionary, he'd be a disingenious fascist. However, consider that perhaps, Harris would be honest in his motives; that he is truly motivated by liberal goals such as the empowerment of women, and considers Islamism to be inherently incompatible with these goals. Then, he is a progressive, and thus clearly not a neoreactionary.
He also becomes much less controversial, because who doesn't support gay rights, feminism, etc.? (Yes, reactionaries.)

This is how I understand his arguments, at least. Now, I may be wrong in my understanding of his true motives. But that would not change that his arguments could have worth for progressive causes.

Harris' key, and most controversial, theoretical point is, I think, the idea that a lot of the actions of extremists must be understood as truly, deeply, essentially religious; that many extremist are acting out one (out of possibly many, some much less violent) completely coherent interpretation of their faith. I think this is a true and valuable point, and is usually not attacked as such, but as a straw man. A key consequence of this is that knee-jerk defenses of the religion of post-colonial societies and of immigrants to the west are not only misguided, but bad. "This is not Islam, Islam is a religion of peace, this criticism is racist" etc. I understand - and actually support - the motive many liberals have in defending Muslims against Harris' attacks. Yes, we should always show our fullest solidarity to those the West has oppressed for centuries, and to minorities and the disenfranchised of our societies (e.g. immigrants). But that is what should be defended - these people, and the parts of their own, and our joint, culture that are compatible with humanism -; not religion.
Religion is, by and large, poo poo, and the religion of immigrants is no exception. Now it can be very complicated to criticize the sin, not the sinner in this case, but it's better than said knee-jerk defenses of actually reactionary movements (e.g. religions, including Islam/Islamism and of course US-style evangelical Christianity).

And at the heart of this is the I think very correct observation that extremists' actions are at least in part genuinely religious.
You may still disagree with this, but I think his point is actually very strong, and correct.

This point is not inherently neoreactionary, either. Harris not only notes an essential connection between a suicide bomber's actions and their theological positions, he also objects to these, because they are incompatible with liberal society. Harris dislikes these actions and concepts because they conflict with emancipation, LGBT rights, democracy, etc. Thus, a progressive position.

Even beyond my disagreements on political consequences, there is also much to be said against many of this theoretical points, but none of these objections should be new to anyone ITT, especially as many amount to Harris being unfamiliar with actually good interpretations of the views he detests.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Didn't he murder all these anti war types in one of the books? I got through the first one where he kicked a child in the mouth causing her to lose her tongue and it was treated as fine. Also how do you get Heavy Metal associated with these people, well besides obviously Vargs and his ilk?
He murders a crowd of protesters "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity", yes.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I always imagined the fetishizing of the 50's came from people growing up in the McCarthy era where if you didn't announce what a GREAT AND BEAUTIFUL AND FREE AND NOT COMMUNIST COUNTRY AMERICA IS every 5 seconds you got blacklisted. A lot of the modern in-power conservatives (or their parents, in some cases) came of age in that and took it entirely at face value and then the 60's hit them like a brick and now we must suck since we totally used to love america way more all the time :patriot:

The funny thing is that the high rate of US income tax in the 50s wasn't just higher than the current one (91% vs. 39.6%), it's higher than any other current tax rate in the world.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Why is Scott so into neoreaction? Because they're wonderfully loving and tolerant people, evidence being not all of them told Justine Tunney to just gently caress off.

Furthermore, they're just joking with the ghastly implicit and explicit beliefs, and if you believe otherwise you must be reading The Right Stuff, which of course doesn't exist:

let us all hold hands and sing MO-OLD-BU-UG posted:

I am not sure what role the weird object level beliefs are playing except maybe as a form of hazing to keep less-than-fully-committed out, the same way religions require painful initiation rites or the renunciation of pleasant things most people don’t want to renounce. Superficial people get hung up on the object level stuff, therefore reveal themselves as superficial, and are kept out of the useful bits.

Anyway, neoreactionaries are far nicer to hang around with than those darned feminists, who dare to say things he doesn't understand:

feminists stole my utilons posted:

Feminism seems to be the opposite. The object level beliefs are almost entirely unobjectionable, but when you look at the meta-level beliefs it starts looking like the entire philosophy is centered around figuring out clever ways to insult and belittle other people and make it impossible for them to call you on it.

He also wrote a long post on SSC bitching about Chris Hallquist totally taking his words out of context (by quoting them accurately with a source) and writing as though statements like "blurring the already rather thin line between “feminism” and “literally Voldemort”" seem like they might repel people or something - on the flimsy grounds that Hallquist's post was a detailed piece on Scott having achieved precisely that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Why is Scott so into neoreaction? Because they're wonderfully loving and tolerant people, evidence being not all of them told Justine Tunney to just gently caress off.

Furthermore, they're just joking with the ghastly implicit and explicit beliefs, and if you believe otherwise you must be reading The Right Stuff, which of course doesn't exist:

Anyway, neoreactionaries are far nicer to hang around with than those darned feminists, who dare to say things he doesn't understand:

He also wrote a long post on SSC bitching about Chris Hallquist totally taking his words out of context (by quoting them accurately with a source) and writing as though statements like "blurring the already rather thin line between “feminism” and “literally Voldemort”" seem like they might repel people or something - on the flimsy grounds that Hallquist's post was a detailed piece on Scott having achieved precisely that.

Scott's a true hero, a Charles Lindbergh for the cyber-age.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Let me link SSC On Feminism again, suggesting you read Chris Hallquist's post (which Scott refuses to link) first, then Scott's post, then the comments. Oh my God, the comments.

(it will help you understand the dynamics here if you know that Chris is going out with Ozy, Scott's ex.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Let me link SSC On Feminism again, suggesting you read Chris Hallquist's post (which Scott refuses to link) first, then Scott's post, then the comments. Oh my God, the comments.

(it will help you understand the dynamics here if you know that Chris is going out with Ozy, Scott's ex.)

That kind of makes it amazing, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Thanks, now I feel terrible and entirely grossed out.