Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have problems with Murakami, not least of which is that whoever translates his books makes them incredibly bland and frustrating to read.

Wind Up Bird has always been a favorite of mine though, because his repetitive and descriptive language actually ends up paying dividends in that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CestMoi posted:

At Swim-Two-Birds ends really well.

It really really does.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Max posted:

I have problems with Murakami, not least of which is that whoever translates his books makes them incredibly bland and frustrating to read.

Wind Up Bird has always been a favorite of mine though, because his repetitive and descriptive language actually ends up paying dividends in that book.

I like Murakami, but I've read everything in Dutch. I like his (or the translator's I guess) style, but it is def a bit bland compared to the baroque extravagance that's so popular among basically all American writers from the last 30 or so years that I'm aware of

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's better in Japanese

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

It really really does.

I loved the whole book, but last section after his uncle gives him the watch is so sick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whoever translates Knausgaard is amazing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Antwan3K posted:

I like Murakami, but I've read everything in Dutch. I like his (or the translator's I guess) style, but it is def a bit bland compared to the baroque extravagance that's so popular among basically all American writers from the last 30 or so years that I'm aware of

Eh, I always enjoy sparse and simple language, along with baroque extravagance. My issue came up in 1Q84 when the phrase "As if" was used no less than 5 times in one paragraph, and realizing that it was the norm for the rest of the book.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

It's better in Japanese

I have heard from multiple people that the opposite is true and that the translators are better writers than him.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Max posted:

Eh, I always enjoy sparse and simple language, along with baroque extravagance. My issue came up in 1Q84 when the phrase "As if" was used no less than 5 times in one paragraph, and realizing that it was the norm for the rest of the book.

1Q84's translation was a rush job and that really shows with a lot of what must be Japanese interference shining through. The book itself was unpolished to begin with, too, so a rushed translation on top of that didn't really help.

All the Murakami I've read has been Jay Rubin's translations, though (1Q84, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and Norwegian Wood), so I can't really say how much of the blandness is him emulating Murakami and how much is just him writing that way. I do feel like the style has usually ended up working for the book's benefit regardless, especially in Wind-Up Bird (though not really in 1Q84).

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just finished Woodcutters. It was good and funny. I think I like it more than The Loser, which is the only other Bernhard I've read. Plus, this one has kind of a happy ending. Apparently there's some kind of joke or word play with the title in German though?

I'm also reading The Third Policeman and The Enchanted Wanderer by Nikolai Leskov, which are also both good and funny. But I accidentally "spoiled" myself for The Third Policeman when I first opened the book and my eyes immediately went to the part in the introduction that talks about the ending. Although, I guess it doesn't really matter much for this kind of book. But it seems like introductions do this a lot and are mainly written for people who have already read the book, which is kind of annoying sometimes. Why don't they make it an afterword instead in those cases?

edit: What are people's opinions on Peter Handke? He seems like someone I'd like but I'm not really sure where to start.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 10, 2015

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I think of Murakami as YA author for people with standards

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is garcia marqez worth reading beyond hundred years of solitude and love in the time of cholera

if so, what's good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Memories of My Melancholy Whores is a pretty good novella.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

is garcia marqez worth reading beyond hundred years of solitude and love in the time of cholera

if so, what's good

I enjoyed Of Love and Other Demons.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

Memories of My Melancholy Whores is a pretty good novella.

I thought this was blatantly his weakest work honestly.

A Chronicle of a Death Foretold is the third in his required reading trilogy more or less.
Past that, its a toss up between what themes you find interesting. There's no real "bad" Garcia Marquez.

His best collection of short fiction is The Incredible and Sad Tale of Innocent Erendira. The title story is great and it also has his best short story A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 10, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought this was blatantly his weakest work honestly.

Gotta admit, that and 100 years+Cholera are the only books I've read of him, but I enjoyed them all so that's why I recommended it.

Gonna take a not of your tips, though.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Whoever translates Knausgaard is amazing.

Yeah, he manages to keep the mundane yet totally engrossing aspect of Knausgaard's work continuing in English. I suppose I have you to blame for getting me hooked on his works though I'm trying to slow my progress (currently in book 3) so I can pace myself for the release of the final two volumes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

V. Illych L. posted:

if so, what's good

Autumn of the Patriarch is really good and is criminally underrated, mostly because it was the first thing he wrote after Solitude and it wasn't just more of the same. The General in His Labyrinth is kind of in the same vein, and I also liked that one a lot, though it's fairly dense in terms of Latin American history.

But yeah, otherwise his short stories are really good. His early stuff is pretty rough and often bland, but it's interesting to see him messing around with some of the themes / concepts that get refined in his later work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also just read more Latin American writers. I would argue Latin America was the most consistently excellent region for fiction in the second half of the 20th century.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also just read more Latin American writers. I would argue Latin America was the most consistently excellent region for fiction in the second half of the 20th century.

Are you reading it in Spanish? I think that has to do with the fact that only good poo poo gets translated

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Are you reading it in Spanish? I think that has to do with the fact that only good poo poo gets translated

It's a fair argument but I would argue even the stuff only translated from the boom period still stands above the rest of the era.

Edit: if you want to argue only the good stuff was translated look at the absurd volume of authors who were translated. That's a ton of material for being picky.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 11, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Books are translated if the publisher buying the rights thinks they can sell it well in their country. In some cases that means its a good book, in some cases it really doesn't.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Books are translated if the publisher buying the rights thinks they can sell it well in their country. In some cases that means its a good book, in some cases it really doesn't.

A funny example of this happened with Patrick Modiano last year. His translations and publication rights were all owned by a small University Publisher that specialized in limited run printings for academic uses. When he won the Nobel Prize, the publisher was suddenly swamped with orders they didn't have and had to go on a printing spree. I remember ordering two of his books about an hour after he won and in the week it took them to arrive they already had new covers with "NOBEL WINNER 2015" on the cover.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've got a day off for the first time in a very long time so I'm going to read The Blind OWl. Chapter 1 is good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Can we sit down as a thread and agree this new Harper Lee book is some serious bullshit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can we sit down as a thread and agree this new Harper Lee book is some serious bullshit

Yes, except if that means I have to read it, which I'm not gonna do

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You mean that discarded first draft winkled out of a demented old lady by a money-grubbing con-artist of a carer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

You mean that discarded first draft winkled out of a demented old lady by a money-grubbing con-artist of a carer

Pretty much

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm almost through Illuminatus! and it's great. Other peoples' thought on it/ is it considered Real Literature?

If there's one criticism I have is that switching perspective right before a big reveal gets old after a while.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 12, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd be interested in seeing some of the changes between that first draft and To Kill A Mockingbird, but more out of curiosity. But even then I'm not curious enough to actually spend the time and money on it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Belgian posted:

I'm almost through Illuminatus! and it's great. Other peoples' thought on it/ is it considered Real Literature?

I just got done with the council of If Stuff is Literature and they said no. Sorry.

Srice posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some of the changes between that first draft and To Kill A Mockingbird, but more out of curiosity. But even then I'm not curious enough to actually spend the time and money on it.

From what the early reviews are saying its not so much "changes" between drafts as being entirely different books with the same character names.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Belgian posted:

If there's one criticism I have is that switching perspective right before a big reveal gets old after a while.
it is most certainly not "real" literature.

here is what i said about it:

Tree Goat posted:

i thought the illuminatus trilogy was really fun and cool when i was a) a teen and b) the internet was nascent enough that it hadn't run absolutely everything about that book into the ground c) the twin towers still stood, god bless america

that being said for all of its purported nonlinearity and complexity it is pretty straightforward to just plow through so you could gamble on it without hurting your figures in your ppd logging app

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Belgian posted:

no its not, nor is it trying to be, - it is a fun book and great artifact of the 70's though i think it would be much better with some editing that resulted in cutting it in half. RAW's other books are a good time as well

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I've got a day off for the first time in a very long time so I'm going to read The Blind OWl. Chapter 1 is good.

The Blind Owl was really good, but I don't think as good as I was expectinhg. I really loved the recurrence of every thing, and the general feeling of the entire thing and the writing was really gorgeous at times , but I feel a little like it was a bit too on the nose by the end. There were a few lines that seemed to sort of be offering a key to the entire thing and I always find that a bit jarring in dreamy surrealy books. I'm going to read it again at some point probably and maybe try out a different translation, but for now I'm going to read the book of Judges.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
The only book I've read by Marquez that really isn't worthwile is his autobiography, Living to Tell the Tale. It's a sprawling mess that really needed an editor to cut it down to half the length.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The Blind Owl was really good, but I don't think as good as I was expectinhg. I really loved the recurrence of every thing, and the general feeling of the entire thing and the writing was really gorgeous at times , but I feel a little like it was a bit too on the nose by the end. There were a few lines that seemed to sort of be offering a key to the entire thing and I always find that a bit jarring in dreamy surrealy books. I'm going to read it again at some point probably and maybe try out a different translation, but for now I'm going to read the book of Judges.

I liked that part where it talks about the butcher looking at some sheep carcasses with a buyer's eye, and then later the same thing happens but there's an extra bit about how he looks at his wife the same way at night.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That was good, as were most of the other bits like his uncle sleeping with his dad's wife because they looked so alike and then the wife is like "well you should both go in a cobra pit and then one of you will die" and they do and one comes out but no ones really sure who it is. But there were bits (mostly at the end) where its like "oh yeah and i was lying down and it felt like there was a coffin on my chest, like I'd killed someone or something, because I probably killed someone in case you didn't pick up on that" and I wish it hadn't had that line because that sort of pushes me towards one interpretation of the entire thing (he killed his wife and is dwelling on it in death fever) when actually I much prefer another interpretation which it sort of hints at a few times (he killed himself and is sort of regretting it while dying of killing himself). I prefer the ambiguity that most of the book does really well and then a few lines sort of take that away IMO.

Blind owl spoilers I guess

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Erland posted:

The only book I've read by Marquez that really isn't worthwile is his autobiography, Living to Tell the Tale. It's a sprawling mess that really needed an editor to cut it down to half the length.

You are wrong and gently caress you

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would argue Latin America was the most consistently excellent region for fiction in the second half of the 20th century.

:agreed:

(I'm reading some Vargas Llosa right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The life and opinions of tomcat murr