Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

LessThanThree posted:

Picked up the green* version of Blood Mountain and blue version of Crack the Skye from Mastodon. Is it possible for records to be heavier than 180g? These are like a 1kg weight on my turntable. Great quality and they come with an inner liner with lyrics if anyone is interested.

Was surprised as my first new vinyls they needed cleaning more than some of my extremely used ones. Perfect once cleaned though.

*eye melting fluorescent green*

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-510-200g-vinyl.aspx

This one is 240g
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48nkgUGibhU

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

LessThanThree posted:

Picked up the green* version of Blood Mountain and blue version of Crack the Skye from Mastodon. Is it possible for records to be heavier than 180g? These are like a 1kg weight on my turntable. Great quality and they come with an inner liner with lyrics if anyone is interested.

Was surprised as my first new vinyls they needed cleaning more than some of my extremely used ones. Perfect once cleaned though.

*eye melting fluorescent green*

I have a copy of danger mouse's gray album that feels at least 240 grams.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I hope this isn't considered a drunk post, but I've been drinking and catching up on 150+ unread posts. I'm considering sending free records to "newbies" that you guys are snarky to. I'm going to sober up before I definitely decide on this. (I'm cheapass when I'm sober so don't expect free records).

As for the vertical turntable....
I'm in manufacturing, and help design assembly and materials delivery processes and think anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, and even I think a vertical turntable is a terrible idea.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

cosmicjim posted:

I hope this isn't considered a drunk post, but I've been drinking and catching up on 150+ unread posts. I'm considering sending free records to "newbies" that you guys are snarky to. I'm going to sober up before I definitely decide on this. (I'm cheapass when I'm sober so don't expect free records).

I'm in manufacturing, and help design assembly and materials delivery processes and think anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, and even I think a vertical turntable is a terrible idea.

BUT TRACKING WEIGHT IS DYNAMICALLY MAINTAINED BY A SPRING! It works for the Crosleys and LP60s and those are great, so it should work just as well here.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

cosmicjim posted:

But if no one bullies out the new people then eventually they will be old people and I'll have to compete with them for fifty cent goodwill trash.

I just can't except the idea of letting anyone more than the people who already appreciate vinyl do so.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ShotgunWillie posted:

BUT TRACKING WEIGHT IS DYNAMICALLY MAINTAINED BY A SPRING! It works for the Crosleys and LP60s and those are great, so it should work just as well here.

If you're listening to your records on computer speakers with a cheapo preamp it really doesn't matter if you're using one of those record players.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
we've been over this but i dont have a record player

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

we've been over this but i dont have a record player

Get the vertical one.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
already on the list

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks sweet

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't buy records to listen to them or even because I like music. I only get them so I can maintain a smug air of superiority over others.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i don't need to buy records for that i can just read your posts

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
The two things that really drew me to vinyl were the cost and inconvenience.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

We should 1 up the vertical table and make one that actually plays the side that's facing down when you put it on there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

We should 1 up the vertical table and make one that actually plays the side that's facing down when you put it on there.

I'm going to wait until you make this then I'm going to release an even crazier turntable that plays a completely different record than the one you put on it. And it's going to have wifi or some poo poo.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A Smart Turntable should really be the peak and downfall of the "Vinyl Revival"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Possibly Chicken posted:

A Smart Turntable should really be the peak and downfall of the "Vinyl Revival"

Just put the catalog number of the record you're listening to and then you can use the app to select individual tracks! no more guessing or being forced to listen to the whole side!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you like records but don't like record players, just get one of those toy vans with a small speaker and a pick-up at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUcpCtMke0

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you like records but don't like record players, just get one of those toy vans with a small speaker and a pick-up at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUcpCtMke0

I unironically need this useless thing in my collection of useless stuff

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Order a thousand from Alibaba, slap wooden knobs and small crystals (plastic beads) on them, make a mint selling to audiophiles. "The record player industry big-wigs don't want you to know about!"

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Hmm, an LP12 is good and all but can it play my urban outfitters bought, £30 Lana Del Rey record vertically!?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

maybe someone will figure out how to make a laser table read clear/colored records and that can come back.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm going to put the vinyl world upside down by inventing the first digital turntable.

Imagine a 24x12 touchscreen that puts a digital recreation of a turntable and hooks up via WiFi to download individual albums (to include label and music) and allows individuals to recreate the thrill of vinyl collecting with little to no inconvenience of owning vinyl and at a fraction of the cost.

I think a year after release I may come out with a portable version for the vinyl enthusiast on the go.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I was going to say I'll corner the market on 3d printed records but someone actually beat me to it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm going to invent a round, flatbed scanner that plays your records like this:
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/DigitalNeedle/index.html

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

wa27 posted:

I'm going to invent a round, flatbed scanner that plays your records like this:
http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~springer/DigitalNeedle/index.html

I'm about 90% sure this is already a thing

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Exploding Eyes Orchestra - I. This album is loving awesome.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I'm pretty sure these things are notorious for completely loving up records.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure these things are notorious for completely loving up records.

I'd want one of those too, but only to use with $1 bin fare for the novelty. I wouldn't pay a ton for one, though, or I might as well buy a vertical turntable.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh god, bad cellphone picture, but

That's right. I have two copies. This is what happens when weed is legal where you live. You make the best decisions.

Only two more copies and I can fire them up like Zaireeka.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

cosmicjim posted:

I'd want one of those too, but only to use with $1 bin fare for the novelty. I wouldn't pay a ton for one, though, or I might as well buy a vertical turntable.

yeah I would only ever use it on some good will herb alpert to show it off to anyone who didn't believe it was a record player

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Oh god, bad cellphone picture, but

That's right. I have two copies. This is what happens when weed is legal where you live. You make the best decisions.

Only two more copies and I can fire them up like Zaireeka.

Would you be willing to sell one?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
This just went up :

http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/product/desire-lp-180-gram-baby-pink-vinyl

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
There's another vertical record player but it's not for sale yet. It's supposed to allow you to skip tracks and it has a remote control if you're lazy...
http://www.royharpaz.com/#!TOC-A-vertical-record-player/cphv/558eb1b00cf20d45521f96f2

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:swoon:

Also came with a free copy of this, in case I weren't hipster enough. :shrug:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Animale posted:

There's another vertical record player but it's not for sale yet. It's supposed to allow you to skip tracks and it has a remote control if you're lazy...
http://www.royharpaz.com/#!TOC-A-vertical-record-player/cphv/558eb1b00cf20d45521f96f2

Dude in that video looked like he was on secanol. Not exactly selling the experience.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Animale posted:

I like the idea of a built in brush but thats useless if the brush itself isn't easy to clean.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SeXReX posted:

I like the idea of a built in brush but thats useless if the brush itself isn't easy to clean.

I dunno, I don't see a lot of flaws in basing your design on a dinosaur egg. Seems pretty natural.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Would you be willing to sell one?
Sadly you'd have to get in line because every friend I've forced The Apple on is demanding my spare copy.

Thus is the magic of The Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Sadly you'd have to get in line because every friend I've forced The Apple on is demanding my spare copy.

Thus is the magic of The Apple.

Sounds like you know how to be a master.