Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Whoa, it wasn't a joke. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That's not goatse :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
poo poo, he was younger than my dad. What a loss :(

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Nintendo Directs aren't gonna be the same. :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I'm a sad man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope the next direct is a eulogy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Immer posted:

Nintendo Directs aren't gonna be the same. :(

It may be even likely there will never be any. He was the face of the company, from the Direct, to the Iwata Asks, to, hell, everything. It wasn't a cult of personality even. He just felt that the old Nintendo was too closed down, stuck on its own rear end, and unable to communicate with their fans in any meaningful way. And there's no one inside Nintendo's corporate structure who can or is willing to do this.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Iwata has taken his last bow. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Iwata has taken his last bow. :(

Please understand.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

There will be directs in the future.

From memory, the last one Japan had was held by some other dude entirely, who was supposed to be taking over doing most of them in the future, for Japan at least. And there's more than enough dudes and ladies at Nintendo to stand up and be charismatic directly to you. I mean, there's Shigeru, Aonuma, Tezuka, Sakurai, multiple ladies that worked on Animal Crossing to come in and help out. Bill, Shibata and Reggie could have a more active role in them even.

They will never feel the same without Iwata though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This is sad news. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Aw man, no.

RIP. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm having a weird problem with my 3DS. When I put it into sleep mode it doesn't wake up sometimes.

The odd thing is that it only does this when a game is running and only with certain games. (Xenoblade Chronicles is the big one at the moment.) Any idea why that might be? I can fix it by holding the power button down but it's pretty annoying to have to do that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Crawfish posted:

There will be directs in the future.

From memory, the last one Japan had was held by some other dude entirely, who was supposed to be taking over doing most of them in the future, for Japan at least. And there's more than enough dudes and ladies at Nintendo to stand up and be charismatic directly to you. I mean, there's Shigeru, Aonuma, Tezuka, Sakurai, multiple ladies that worked on Animal Crossing to come in and help out. Bill, Shibata and Reggie could have a more active role in them even.

They will never feel the same without Iwata though.

They won't feel the same, but for NOA, I think there would be no problem with Reggie and Trinan taking over the directs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my 3DS. When I put it into sleep mode it doesn't wake up sometimes.

The odd thing is that it only does this when a game is running and only with certain games. (Xenoblade Chronicles is the big one at the moment.) Any idea why that might be? I can fix it by holding the power button down but it's pretty annoying to have to do that.

The other games aren't Smash and Codename STEAM, are they? Those are the ones that shut down the OS, maybe there's a connection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other games aren't Smash and Codename STEAM, are they? Those are the ones that shut down the OS, maybe there's a connection.

Nope. The other one was actually Mercenary Knights 2 which I picked up because I desperately wanted a JRPG.

Oddly I seem to have found the solution: turning off wi-fi fixes it. Which is annoying but not the end of the world at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Oddly I seem to have found the solution: turning off wi-fi fixes it. Which is annoying but not the end of the world at least.

Oh, that may explain it. When you close the system off with wifi on it's when it tries to do all the Spotpass and Streetpass stuff. Spotpass happens as soon as it has any sort of Internet connection and it will write stuff to your SD card. If your SD card's filesystem is messed up somehow it will likely freeze the system.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey my N3DS came in the mail today. Thanks Iwata and/or the canadian postal service.

Gonna play games until my battery runs out 'cause I don't have a charger.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

miyamoto is clearly sucking the lifeforce out of everyone around him to stay young

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is there any downside to buying games used, like bonus download codes or multiplayer licenses or whatever?

If so, what games should i stay away from when buying second-hand?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This isn't Playstation, man. There's no "online passes".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, if you feel like upgrading to New 3DS, you can trade your 3DS/XK/2DS (or Vita) for $100 towards a New 3DS XL, ends July 27.

EDIT: they'll dock you if you don't also include the charger. New 3DS does not come with a charger.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

NA dudes, if you feel like upgrading to New 3DS, you can trade your 3DS/XK/2DS (or Vita) for $100 towards a New 3DS XL, ends July 27.

EDIT: they'll dock you if you don't also include the charger. New 3DS does not come with a charger.

Dang, that's what I paid for my 2DS.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

I'm guessing this is just Gamestop and just the States?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

pichupal posted:

I'm guessing this is just Gamestop and just the States?

Opps, yeah, dunno how I managed to omit that detail.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Saoshyant posted:

This isn't Playstation, man. There's no "online passes".

Honestly that's not been a thing for 3 or 4 years anywhere. And kind of ironically , while Club Nintendo was a thing, there WAS a disadvantage to buying used Nintendo games, but now that doesn't really matter

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
you know you can use a regular old USB phone charger cable to charge your 3DS.

It fits and it takes some force, but it works.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah, Iwata insisted it be like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

That cannot be good for either the cord or the 3DS.

Edit: goddammit taint reaped.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Does Smash shut down the OS even on a New 3DS? He was playing Xenoblade, so it must have been on a New 3DS.

(Playing Phoenix Wright turns you into a pedantic jackass :objection:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Does Smash shut down the OS even on a New 3DS? He was playing Xenoblade, so it must have been on a New 3DS.

(Playing Phoenix Wright turns you into a pedantic jackass :objection:)

Not on a new3DS, no. Smash was coded to take advantage of the extra CPU grunt.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Man I'd be so on this if I didn't just notice the right hinge on my XL is cracked this past weekend.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Afro posted:

Man I'd be so on this if I didn't just notice the right hinge on my XL is cracked this past weekend.

And they won't take it? Or are you excited to finally have a cracked hinge?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I think gamestop knows how to refurbish those things

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
They won't take physical damage as far as I've read. Unless a goon knows otherwise.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

You can try and fix it yourself so you can trade it in.

Replacement XL bottom plates on eBay are around $10 and it's fairly simple to do. The only bad bits are reattaching the ribbons and opening the hinge pin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Afro posted:

They won't take physical damage as far as I've read. Unless a goon knows otherwise.

They can take damaged ones in at a reduced rate as long as the unit can actually turn on. They're supposed to anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or maybe they won't notice, everything I've turned in at GameStop they have verified physically powers on and that is it.

I took the wii I bought from them back to them because it was loaded with cat hair, so I'm pretty sure they don't inspect or even give a poo poo about the trade ins

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My 3DS hinge slides back and forth is that what it's supposed to do or is it starting to break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

back and forth...which way?