Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's an LP of 1989: Dawn of Freedom starting up, link link link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey fellas, got a question for ya.

So I played Lords of Waterdeep today for the first time and while I enjoyed it I can already see some of the cracks. Like the leaders being kind of boring and the small, random pool of quests makes drawing them a little too luck based and really not that indicative of what leader someone has in the end. Someone we played with mentioned that there is another game that is supposedly modeled after or a lot like Lords of Waterdeep but they couldn't remember the name. Does anyone know what game they might have been thinking of, and is it an improvement? I liked the game but it just didn't seem quite sound enough on the design to really make me want to buy it myself. But if there is a game that could be described as "Lords of Waterdeep Plus" I would be very interested.

Forge Wars?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey fellas, got a question for ya.

So I played Lords of Waterdeep today for the first time and while I enjoyed it I can already see some of the cracks. Like the leaders being kind of boring and the small, random pool of quests makes drawing them a little too luck based and really not that indicative of what leader someone has in the end. Someone we played with mentioned that there is another game that is supposedly modeled after or a lot like Lords of Waterdeep but they couldn't remember the name. Does anyone know what game they might have been thinking of, and is it an improvement? I liked the game but it just didn't seem quite sound enough on the design to really make me want to buy it myself. But if there is a game that could be described as "Lords of Waterdeep Plus" I would be very interested.

They're definitely talking about Yedo, which I can't stand. I found that it feels more complicated, random, and harder than LoW, without the strategic or tactical depth to back it up. Also the board is busy as all hell.

Caylus and Agricola are much better choices to look into if you want something heavier.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I preferred Yedo to lords of waterdeep but the randomness in Yedo was kind of poo poo.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Made myself a box insert for Dominion today:

That's with the Base and Hinterlands in, I haven't done dividers yet for Prosperity so those cards are still in their tray. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I figure I'll just bite the bullet and get Intrigue and Seaside then I can get a new set of dividers printed on some nice white card and get everything in the one box. There should just be enough room with that insert, the six divisions on the left and middle comfortably hold ~20 sets of kingdom cards each. All the common cards (Copper, Estates, etc) all fit in the top right, and the final compartment has a small tackle box for the various victory and coin tokens, as well as the small mats.

First time making anything with foam board, and it was quite fun actually, so might consider doing something similar for some other games boxes.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Zveroboy posted:

First time making anything with foam board, and it was quite fun actually, so might consider doing something similar for some other games boxes.

They also have black foam core. I like making my stuff out of that. It might be a few cent more expensive though.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Zveroboy posted:

Made myself a box insert for Dominion today:

That's with the Base and Hinterlands in, I haven't done dividers yet for Prosperity so those cards are still in their tray. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I figure I'll just bite the bullet and get Intrigue and Seaside then I can get a new set of dividers printed on some nice white card and get everything in the one box. There should just be enough room with that insert, the six divisions on the left and middle comfortably hold ~20 sets of kingdom cards each. All the common cards (Copper, Estates, etc) all fit in the top right, and the final compartment has a small tackle box for the various victory and coin tokens, as well as the small mats.

Nice! I did the same to Dominion and it made a big difference for setup. Here is my Race for the Galaxy + expansions insert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I picked up Paperback when I had the chance and am glad I did. Fun game.

It reminds me a lot of Dominion (5 card hands, 10 card indentical starting decks, shuffle when draw pile is empty, win via victory points you buy) but it's a different game. Cards are letters or combinations of letters, and "victory point" cards double as wilds. You make words and score them scrabble-style. The point value is used 1:1 to buy new cards. There are a few other knobs on it too but that's the gist.

Excellent rules, great artistic design and layout, a number of packed-in optional rules / components, and tall separator/index cards for organizing. Really well put together. Best game for under 40 I can remember buying. What's there is polished to a mirror sheen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I had a game filled weekend, but the most important thing that happened was when we were trying to figure out how to play Tragedy Looper with a fifth player and it was decided we would try having a two-headed Mastermind.

Masterminding with another person to bounce ideas off of and make plans with is AMAZING.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Mister Sinewave posted:

I picked up Paperback when I had the chance and am glad I did. Fun game.

It reminds me a lot of Dominion (5 card hands, 10 card indentical starting decks, shuffle when draw pile is empty, win via victory points you buy) but it's a different game. Cards are letters or combinations of letters, and "victory point" cards double as wilds. You make words and score them scrabble-style. The point value is used 1:1 to buy new cards. There are a few other knobs on it too but that's the gist.

Excellent rules, great artistic design and layout, a number of packed-in optional rules / components, and tall separator/index cards for organizing. Really well put together. Best game for under 40 I can remember buying. What's there is polished to a mirror sheen.

This game is on the way for me, so I can't wait to get it and never play it because my friends don't play word games.

"HEY MOM YOU LIKE WORD GAMES LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT DECKBUILDING"

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My mom loves Dominion. :colbert:

I've taught her Terra Mystica, Viticulture, and Caverna though :ssh:

She's played traditional card games her whole life though and one of my earliest memories was some game of risk her family played where everyone lost their poo poo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Robust Laser posted:

This game is on the way for me, so I can't wait to get it and never play it because my friends don't play word games.

"HEY MOM YOU LIKE WORD GAMES LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT DECKBUILDING"

This strategy should work well, btw. I love Paperback because it's a game I can enjoy on a strategic boardgame nerd level whilst my non-gaming friends enjoy it on a light wordgame level.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My mom loves Dominion. :colbert:

I've taught her Terra Mystica, Viticulture, and Caverna though :ssh:

She's played traditional card games her whole life though and one of my earliest memories was some game of risk her family played where everyone lost their poo poo

moms love dominion this is a fact

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My mom loves Carcassonne but I don't think she'd like much more than that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Besides Scoville and Pixel Tactics, what are some other good print and play games you can recommend? Paid or free, I don't mind. Maybe in October I will be able to buy boardgames from outside my country.

Also, anyone got a link to the archived Summoner Wars thread?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

moms love dominion this is a fact

One weird trick discovered by a mom to win in most kingdoms! BM players hate her!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Azran posted:

Besides Scoville and Pixel Tactics, what are some other good print and play games you can recommend? Paid or free, I don't mind. Maybe in October I will be able to buy boardgames from outside my country.

Also, anyone got a link to the archived Summoner Wars thread?

Yomi: Round 1 is free to PnP and it includes four characters: Grave [!], Jaina [!!], Midori [!!!], and Setsuki [boo hiss]. Round 2 and the other decks are available for PnP on the same page, but each costs money. Round 1 definitely has a really strong mix of character types though so no reason not to start there and grind out 20 or 30 matches first~

e: Also maybe you could live my dream of actually making a set of Skirmish Wars the unofficial advance wars board game

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Azran posted:

Final Attack! (real-time co-op for 1-5 players) and Pocket Imperium (simultaneous action selection 4X / area control for 2-3 players) are both free and good. Pocket Imperium just had a Kickstarter sequel version arrive at my door.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
So I'm thinking of picking up a copy of Terra Mystica, and noticed that the wikipedia page says that:

-A second edition in German was published in 2013
-It's published by ZMan, who supposedly don't do good quality prints.

Is there anything I should look out for? Would it be worth waiting for a second edition to appear in english (if it hasn't already) before buying?

EBag
May 18, 2006

Zman is generally good quality, I've never heard any complaints about TMs component quality and haven't had any problems with their games. The only game I know of Zman really loving up was Tash Kalar.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The zman Terra Mystica is fine. Tash Kalars main problem was just price point.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Buy Terra Mystica that's all there is to it. It's the best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How is the balance between the races? I remember reading here that the Dwarves were hard to do well with or something? I'm looking to play it at Gencon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played a game of Forbidden Stars 2p today. I enjoyed the systems that the game has despite being a bit of classic FFG design. The game pretty much "ended" on turn 2 when my opponent tried to take over a planet with a Bastion and a cultist with 2 space marines and 2 reinforcements. He couldn't break through my defenses and I somehow kept killing and/or routing his units, such that he lost the two space marines and he got the planet, but the only thing living at the end on his side were the reinforcements, so I guess he got the bastion? Regardless, the economic hit was pretty bad and he never really recovered, but that could just be bad play on his part.

There were a lot of unclear rule interactions, although this could be attributed to my only doing a quick readthrough, and not of the reference rules. But I (Chaos) kept making GBS threads out units so my max strength was always 8, but all of my cards added dice, which didn't hit the max, so all my cards did was just kept adding icons. Also, there was one card that let me convert a Cultist into a Chaos Space Marine, but does that work on reinforcement Cultists too? Stuff like that that was either not references/FAQed too well, or else I just wanted it spelt out more explicitly.

That being said, I enjoyed myself and would play again, but I imagine 3 players might have a bit of a "bash the leader" thing going on and 4 players would have a loooot of waiting for combat.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I played Arkham Horror for the first time with friends and it was enjoyable solely because I was playing with friends and the guy who owned the game was willing to let us be purposefully fuzzy on the turn order to "beat the game" and we got lucky more than a few times with the timing of the decks.

I think I could backwards-engineer a good game to meet the same expectations, but it would involve me setting upon the rulebook with a hatchet. Its a conversation-piece beer-and-pretzel game and is really only challenging if you don't know how to subtly quarterback / receive the team to victory.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

GrandpaPants posted:

I played a game of Forbidden Stars 2p today. I enjoyed the systems that the game has despite being a bit of classic FFG design. The game pretty much "ended" on turn 2 when my opponent tried to take over a planet with a Bastion and a cultist with 2 space marines and 2 reinforcements. He couldn't break through my defenses and I somehow kept killing and/or routing his units, such that he lost the two space marines and he got the planet, but the only thing living at the end on his side were the reinforcements, so I guess he got the bastion? Regardless, the economic hit was pretty bad and he never really recovered, but that could just be bad play on his part.

There were a lot of unclear rule interactions, although this could be attributed to my only doing a quick readthrough, and not of the reference rules. But I (Chaos) kept making GBS threads out units so my max strength was always 8, but all of my cards added dice, which didn't hit the max, so all my cards did was just kept adding icons. Also, there was one card that let me convert a Cultist into a Chaos Space Marine, but does that work on reinforcement Cultists too? Stuff like that that was either not references/FAQed too well, or else I just wanted it spelt out more explicitly.

That being said, I enjoyed myself and would play again, but I imagine 3 players might have a bit of a "bash the leader" thing going on and 4 players would have a loooot of waiting for combat.

Honestly, it sounds like he overcommitted.

Two player war games are always going to have a strong element of momentum because direct conflict is a zero sum game without some form of explicit catch up or balancing mechanism (which FS doesn't seem to have), so I'd imagine 2p FS will be as a rule of thumb be a much shorter game than 4p. Theorycrafting the game, I'd say the way for a player to come back from a bad defeat in 2p would be to use bastions (very strong for the cost and don't rout) and to retreat costly units rather than fight to the death as much as possible. The card system means that even squishy units left behind can inflict a good amount of casualties. The game I played over the weekend, I was able to stave off a really strong Ork offensive by pulling back expensive units, giving ground on planets that didn't hold his objectives to prep for big counter attacks. By the end of the game, his armies were smashed and I had easily enough forces to win the game, if only I had one more turn.

To your second point:

From the Rules Reference section on Reinforcements posted:

• During a combat on a world, a player’s reinforcement tokens are treated as his command level zero ground units.
• During a combat on a void, a player’s reinforcement tokens are treated as his command level zero ships.
• Reinforcement tokens in combat are treated like plastic units for all rules and game effects (including unit requisites on cards).

Your thinking is correct - you can turn reinforcements into Space Marines using that card. Chaos Marines ability to spring up more Cultists and Space Marines is horrifyingly fearsome early game, as the poor Ultramarine player who was getting attacked by Chaos in my game found out.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Gerund posted:

I played Arkham Horror for the first time with friends and it was enjoyable solely because I was playing with friends and the guy who owned the game was willing to let us be purposefully fuzzy on the turn order to "beat the game" and we got lucky more than a few times with the timing of the decks.

I think I could backwards-engineer a good game to meet the same expectations, but it would involve me setting upon the rulebook with a hatchet. Its a conversation-piece beer-and-pretzel game and is really only challenging if you don't know how to subtly quarterback / receive the team to victory.

Game already exists. Eldritch Horror.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The End posted:

Honestly, it sounds like he overcommitted.

Yeah, I don't think he expected a wipe of that kind, but it was a planet with an objective, so he sorta kinda needed to. Realistically, I don't think he expected the Bastion (and I guess cultist) to do as much damage as they did. He also didn't expand as much as he should have, so while he "won" that planet, he only got like 4 or so resources to my 10 and that never really let up for the rest of the game. It really snowballed bad when I got to Upgrade my one Chaos upgrade that let me poo poo out a unit for cheap, so by the time he was trying to get a force of Scouts and Space Marines out, I was making GBS threads out Helbrutes and CSMs. Like I said the game ended after that attack, the rest of it was cleanup for me and a futile struggle to rally for him.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
There's definitely a few RTS parallels in FS that show its roots as a Starcraft game. In grabbing at objectives, it's easy to overlook the importance of raising your material income and teching up into the better units. The next time I teach the game I'll be emphasising the importance of a good industrial base as well as grabbing objectives.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, there was one card that let me convert a Cultist into a Chaos Space Marine, but does that work on reinforcement Cultists too? Stuff like that that was either not references/FAQed too well, or else I just wanted it spelt out more explicitly.

This specific question is actually explained on the Card Clarifications section on the back of the Rule Reference book. It was literally referenced as well as it could be without taking up space on the card.

Also, I haven't seen much of a gang-up on the leader problem in three or four player games. Defending the opponent's objectives you're sitting on is a much more viable tactic then directly assaulting the leader and easier on your economy. Dumping a bastion on that planet protects it from orbital strikes and provides a 3 health unit that can be damaged without being routed.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

GrandpaPants posted:

I played a game of Forbidden Stars 2p today. I enjoyed the systems that the game has despite being a bit of classic FFG design. The game pretty much "ended" on turn 2 when my opponent tried to take over a planet with a Bastion and a cultist with 2 space marines and 2 reinforcements. He couldn't break through my defenses and I somehow kept killing and/or routing his units, such that he lost the two space marines and he got the planet, but the only thing living at the end on his side were the reinforcements, so I guess he got the bastion?

Regardless, the economic hit was pretty bad and he never really recovered, but that could just be bad play on his part.

Yes. Also, I've found that units don't count for too much. As long as you can keep the units you have alive, cards are where its at. Units are mostly for activating sweet card abilities.

Also, a 6 materiel hit isn't that bad...? That's a single round or less.

quote:

The reference doc states that reinforcement tokens count as plastic for all purposes. So yes, you can turn a token into a space marine. Also, I'm confused by what you mean with the units and cards. What's the question? A few thangs: If you have 8 dice at any time, you can't ever add more. Also, it's not necessarily optimal to pile on units, especially in early game, if you have cards that add morale dice and trigger from having the most morale dice (as Chaos does). Because rolling morale is only a 1/6 chance, it is sometimes better to go in with 6~ dice to leave room for the morale adds.

quote:

I imagine 3 players might have a bit of a "bash the leader" thing going on

Warm storm manipulation mostly prevents this, FYI. Impossible to bash the leader if you can't get to them! Also it's not always in your best interest to bash the leader, especially when their objective token is hidden deep in your territory and one of yours is riper for the taking in an opponent's.

Caedar fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 13, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

How is the balance between the races? I remember reading here that the Dwarves were hard to do well with or something? I'm looking to play it at Gencon.

It's good enough. Fakirs are bad and darklings are a bit strong on the original map but otherwise the balance is fine. The expansion adds a new map and a rebalanced first map that fixes stuff a bit. But it's still a fantastic game, Fakirs are the only really weak faction.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I played a couple games of Infiltration today. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, given that it's an Ameritrashy push your luck game. There's a lot of luck from what item cards you get, which rooms appear, and the point values on your data chips, but it's short enough that I don't really mind. I'm just confused as to why the box says it's 30-45 minutes. the games I played with 3 and 4 players were less than half an hour each.

I also got to try Council of Verona, which was terrible with 5. It starts with a draft of almost the whole deck, Citadels style, and then the game state changes as chaotically as Mascarade. I'm sure it's better with fewer players, but I'm not gonna touch it again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is Terra Mystica better than Archipelago?

man i wish i could try both

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

In my opinion, Terra Mystica is far superior to Archipelago.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bowmore posted:

I like TM more than Archipelago, but both are great games. Which to buy first depends on if your focus is on mechanisms or negotiation.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

burger time posted:

So I played Archipelago today and I was pretty underwhelmed. The rules for all the systems (different markets, changing prices, exploration, action discs, etc.) are all interesting and cool... but after the first few rounds, when I had a lead on the public card (most workers) and a lead on my private card (most ports and markets), I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. You can't get points during the game, so I felt like I just was churning cubes and cash for no real reason. My end condition was enough workers on the board, but I bought all of mine, so I couldn't do anything else about that. And I didn't know what other end conditions might be either. So, I just kinda... churned cubes.

The separatist ended up winning our 3-player, medium length game, but I don't know if it could have gone any other way - our end conditions were 27 workers (the separatist didn't buy many so we couldn't achieve that without his help) and all the explore tiles being gone (seems nearly impossible in a 3 player game). Losing to the separatist didn't really bother me though - we kinda let it sneak up on us - but feeling like I had no direction definitely did. The competition for turn order, spaces, towns, ports, etc. all seems really cool and interesting... but I never felt like I really had a motivation behind it all or an end goal.

The rules are cool, and maybe it would have worked better with more players? Anyway the good that came out of it is I feel like I can take the game off my want list!

I've felt kind of the same way after my first couple games, except I enjoyed it more than you apparently did. I think it's a combination of not knowing what to go for (referring to the manual to rule out objective/ending cards can help there), and being not very good at the engine-building so that it's like "buy six character cards, how is that even possible?". I don't think it's the player count, so much that if only one player works toward ending the goal it's pretty much impossible for them to buy 5 ports or whatever before a rebellion happens (either in-game or amongst the players).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

bowmore posted:

Tm is a much tighter game, the rules are written much better, and overall is more satisfying to me. They are incredibly different though. People have said that tm is more racist than archipelago but I have no idea what they were talking about, it was on bgg though so....

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zombie #246 posted:

Tm is a much tighter game, the rules are written much better, and overall is more satisfying to me. They are incredibly different though. People have said that tm is more racist than archipelago but I have no idea what they were talking about, it was on bgg though so....

:psyduck:

I don't mean to open the "is archipelago racist" can of worms but how is Terra Mystica racist outside of having slightly sterotypical art for Fakirs and Nomads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/86167/el-alamein

:lol: