Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I was having a relatively good day today, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

Didn't Sakurai distance himself from Nintendo, though? He still worked on Smash and Kid Icarus, but isn't Sora technically a 3rd party company?
Has Sakurai ever actually directly been a Nintendo employee? Afaik he was only ever affiliated with HAL, Q, and Sora.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sakamoto promoted to CEO.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

Didn't Sakurai distance himself from Nintendo, though? He still worked on Smash and Kid Icarus, but isn't Sora technically a 3rd party company?

Sora is completely independent from Nintendo, yes. Theoretically Sakurai could make games for anyone, it's just that Nintendo's continued to consistently hire him ever since he founded Sora. So yeah, I don't think he's remotely a candidate, or that it's a position he would want.

Takeda does seem like the default choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Decently lengthy", he's been there since before they made games and was their first game designer, even before Yokoi.
look you ain't been in for the longhaul unless you were working the trading card manufacture lines

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Takeda is like 66 though which seems kinda old to take over a company

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm 100% behind this guy for his contributions to humanity.
he also made punch-out. i support our new takeda overlord.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Judging from takeda's car analogy to consoles, I don't think he would stray too far from Iwata's direction. Still, all this uncertainty just has me wishing more and more Iwata was still here. :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
This wasn't supposed to happen, man, he was supposed to be at the head for another 5-10 years, then retire and die peacefully in his sleep at the age of 80 something

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Weird since two nights ago I watched his Game Center CX appearance where he was talking about programming Balloon Fight and how he got the fish to work. Legit bummed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Everyone should win a race in Mario Kart 8 as an Iwata mii today.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This is the worst day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember when he cut his paycheck because Nintendo wasn't doing too hot and his miraculous programming skills, like what he did for one of the Pokemon games.

Dude was cool Rest In Peace.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

His last public act at president was apologising for their E3 showing and fielding from questions from people who asked why they weren't selling Nintendo-brand bread.
For what it's worth- he didn't apologize. Just stated that they were aware of the disappointment and that they'll try to better meet expectations next time, Reggie also clarified this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lemming posted:

Sakamoto promoted to CEO.

Don't even joke about that I swear to God.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

.TakaM posted:

For what it's worth- he didn't apologize. Just stated that they were aware of the disappointment and that they'll try to better meet expectations next time, Reggie also clarified this.
That's ... an apology though? Like that's quite literally the definition of what "an apology" is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Take a melody
Simple as can be

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PrBacterio posted:

That's ... an apology though? Like that's quite literally the definition of what "an apology" is.

"I'm sorry people were disappointed" is different from "I'm sorry about our E3 presentation itself"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm also sorry that people were disappointed in an ownage puppet show

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

"I'm sorry people were disappointed" is different from "I'm sorry about our E3 presentation itself"

And I thought people were joking about your defensive Nintendo posts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy poo poo what :psyduck:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jivjov posted:

shut up nerd

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

I really don't think so, he avoided using words even close to "sorry" or "apologize", all he said was they are listening to criticisms and will try to better meet peoples expectations. I think it may be clearer in his original japanese tweet that it's explicitly not an apology, but I think they still retained that distinction in the translation too.

Reggie said "it was not an apology, and it was not a statement relating to any of the content they showed". So whether you still want to call it an apology I don't think Iwata meant it was one and I don't think anyone at Nintendo would call it one either

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Please, Iwata would not have wanted his gamer fans to pedantically argue over the meaning of apologize. He would have wanted us to play sick nintendo games.

In his life, I did not purchase Earthbound for the Wii U virtual console, I have done so now in the hopes of atoning for my mistake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

Please, Iwata would not have wanted his gamer fans to pedantically argue over the meaning of apologize. He would have wanted us to play sick nintendo games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Well poo poo. Did he talk about the surgeries and illnesses he had up to this point? I know after one he was looking pretty pale and thin, things must've been worse than he was leading on. Thanks for all the fun stuff man.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

jivjov posted:

Hm well that's true I guess. The presentation was not the problem there anyway. Still it's kind of sad to think that one of his last public acts was an apology, regardless of what precisely it was for. Also someone was replying earlier (in response to someone asking why didn't he retire to spend his last days with his family if he was that sick) that it was because he was a Japanese businessman ... actually, with Iwata, I always got the impression that he really did care, about video games and Nintendo beyond it being just a business. All the more reason why he will be so hard to replace :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Well poo poo. Did he talk about the surgeries and illnesses he had up to this point? I know after one he was looking pretty pale and thin, things must've been worse than he was leading on. Thanks for all the fun stuff man.

The only thing we knew was that he missed E3 this year for surgery...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He said he was skipping E3 because he had to prepare for the investors' meeting which was right around the same time. He even tweeted about how he was changing his Mii to reflect his recent weight loss.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Louisgod posted:

He put out a letter last year about it. Supposedly it was caught early and was removed and he was recovering. It most likely came back with a vengeance since then.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627/index.html

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I genuinely cannot play anything right now. I'm actually upset about a CEO dying what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydy2QEvtR1M

Right? God what a gut punch.

RIP Iwata

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

8-bit Miniboss posted:

He put out a letter last year about it. Supposedly it was caught early and was removed and he was recovering. It most likely came back with a vengeance since then.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627/index.html

Sucks, just seemed like it was a non-issue in that all seemed to be going well. gently caress cancer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:(

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I'm still surprised Iwata died so young. Hopefully Nintendo has an additional backup or five waiting in the wings; I don't want to see them get tripped up by his death too hard.

Looks like I got something to do tonight for a tribute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ozdhaka posted:

Looks like I got something to do tonight for a tribute.

Play some Balloon Fight. It's nice to return to a super simple age of gaming once in a while. :)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This sucks.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Saw the thread blow up and thought it was something awesome :(

This is truly terrible and I hope he went peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Please understand. :(

• Locked thread