Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Amazing

I can only really compare it to Legend of the Five Rings, which is the only other competitive game with an ongoing metaplot I can think of. Did L5R ever have this sorta shitshow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the worst L5R had was occasionally stacking tournament matchups for the 'right' ending? But, like, L5R people have accepted really weird player decisions, like the time two Naga players, going up against each other, made a deal that the winner was whoever could have the bigger army in N turns because naga never fight each other and it was clearly about who could build up the best forces.

The guys running the tournament shrugged and accepted it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the worst L5R had was occasionally stacking tournament matchups for the 'right' ending? But, like, L5R people have accepted really weird player decisions, like the time two Naga players, going up against each other, made a deal that the winner was whoever could have the bigger army in N turns because naga never fight each other and it was clearly about who could build up the best forces.

That's actually kind of cool. Like, not from a tournament standpoint, but from the in-character standpoint. "We don't want to fight each other, so we'll just see who would probably win, and we'll go with that."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mors Rattus posted:

Wasn't there at least one case where two big finalists spontaneously agreed to stop fighting and instead battled the judge? Or something like that?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I've heard stories of them yelling a battle chant at the start of a tourney. L5r people got super into it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe the deal in that case was basically 'well, these two guys would never, ever fight each other, SO INSTEAD, we're gonna play to see which one of us is going to go and die heroically and which of us is going to survive.'

E: Which went against all the planned endings, so the guy running the plot tossed the ending away and made poo poo up on the spot.

E2: ON THE OTHER HAND, this one time the Nezumi won a huge fuckin' tournament and were 'rewarded' by no longer being a playable faction.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 12, 2015

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I can certainly remember the Usenet rage of L5R RPG players being upset that their ~unmatchable independent vision~ for their home campaign would be sullied by what a bunch of trashy. johnny-come-lately card players were going to do with their boring who cares card games. Now let me tell you what I think this fictional mashup of fictional faux-Japachinokorean warriors would think honor is.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

JDCorley posted:

I can certainly remember the Usenet rage of L5R RPG players being upset that their ~unmatchable independent vision~ for their home campaign would be sullied by what a bunch of trashy. johnny-come-lately card players were going to do with their boring who cares card games. Now let me tell you what I think this fictional mashup of fictional faux-Japachinokorean warriors would think honor is.

But the card game came first...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

But the card game came first...

ttg fans are incredible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

JDCorley posted:

Now let me tell you what I think this fictional mashup of fictional faux-Japachinokorean warriors would think honor is.

But enough about John Wick.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

It can't be stressed enough that GW still thinks they're the biggest, nay only game in town, and that it's still the 90's in terms of how they can do business. They're an incredibly insular company that does no market research, and does not advertise their business, and does not listen to their fans in any capacity whatsoever.

This whole Age of Sigmar nonsense is peak GW in terms of not knowing their intended audience.

They think they killed Pokemon. Pokemon.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The sad thing is, if they were just willing to accept that other games exist and are successful, and learn from them they could be a juggernaut on the scale of Magic.
Quality, balanced rules, with a robust organized play system and tournaments with cash prizes would drive player acquisition and retention, but they think all those other games are just fads and eventually everyone will come back to the model railroad gheto miniature game fold.

AfternoonCaptain
Sep 18, 2012

Esser-Z posted:

Wait, what? :allears:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Esser-Z posted:

I thought you were joling, so I did some googling. you weren't.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

From the Chairman's Preamble from a report from 2013:

Tom Kirby posted:

I have written a great deal over the years about the ‘greatest danger’ facing Games Workshop. It has usually been in
response to the expression of some fear of imminent doom. When will the world tire of miniatures? (It won’t; these are
not fashion items, they are hobby collectibles.) Won’t all your customers move on to computer games instead? (They
didn’t; most of our current customers weren’t born when the Atari ST came out.) How about other games like Pokémon or
role-playing games? (Who can remember them, now?). The evidence is there for all to see, but when it wasn’t I was seen
as complacent in the face of these real dangers. I don’t think that was complacency, it’s just that we here all make a living
from serving collectors and we understand them and their needs. These are paper tiger dangers. The real danger is us.

They don't think they killed Pokemon, they are just crowing because they are still around despite the fact that they cried about how the CCG was eating their lunch in 2000 and blamed it for a poor showing that year. Also from what I can tell British gaming nerddom is focused pretty hard on Warhams.

That last line is oddly prophetic too. Truly they are their own worst enemy.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 13, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Man, and I had thought that their considering their own video games to be direct competitors to themselves was the dumbest thing they did.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

senrath posted:

Man, and I had thought that their considering their own video games to be direct competitors to themselves was the dumbest thing they did.

I wonder if that's some sort of weird internal departmental competitive thing, like how all the different Warner Bros subsidiaries are at odds with each other instead of being synergistic.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

JackMann posted:

I thought you were joling, so I did some googling. you weren't.

Jesus, this was a draft, right? Or do people who invest in the UK markets just not know how to read things other than investor reports? Even then, just reading this preamble makes me wonder who would willingly give these people money. It sounds like grog.txt became a CEO.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

moths posted:

Part of me wonders if someone at GW actually did a half-assed market research and learned that many figures never see play. So from that perspective, money spent developing a game is almost entirely worthless. The only rules that matter (from a business angle) are the force organization charts, because they tell customers how many figures they can buy. (Which, coincidentally, all say "any number of models" now...)
\
:tinfoil:

They are certainly correct that I spend much more time modeling with their products (obtained secondhand or from communism) than I do playing them.

Unfortunately, it's because the game in which I would play them is so toxic and lovely!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

thelazyblank posted:

Jesus, this was a draft, right? Or do people who invest in the UK markets just not know how to read things other than investor reports? Even then, just reading this preamble makes me wonder who would willingly give these people money. It sounds like grog.txt became a CEO.

One of Kirby's preambles included 'We're doing awesome if you don't count all the money we're not making.'

In fairness, he was fired right after that one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder if that's some sort of weird internal departmental competitive thing, like how all the different Warner Bros subsidiaries are at odds with each other instead of being synergistic.

None of the video games were developed internally, so that might be it? At any rate, Blood Bowl is an example. From what I understand, Blood Bowl became a persona non grata once Cyanide released their licensed game, with GW stripping all mention of Blood Bowl from their website. Cyanide's Blood Bowl 2 (which no one should buy) is coming out in September.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Why should we not buy the second Blood Bowl?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

GW does not make video games. They license their IP to other companies to make games, and then collect licensing revenue. This allows GW's management to continue to sneer about them. This may also be why most of GW's video games in the past 25 years have been made by lovely half-assed companies and have mostly been crap.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Yes, I know GW doesn't make video games. I meant I wonder if it was related to other departments resenting the licensing department.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Kibner posted:

Why should we not buy the second Blood Bowl?

It's launching with 8 teams, plus two additional day-0 DLC teams, which you can get one of for free if you preorder the game. It costs $45, with future teams costing something like $5 each if you want them. The current version has 24(?) teams, and costs $30.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

senrath posted:

It's launching with 8 teams, plus two additional day-0 DLC teams, which you can get one of for free if you preorder the game. It costs $45, with future teams costing something like $5 each if you want them. The current version has 24(?) teams, and costs $30.

The current version has horrible lovely netcode, loads of bugs we all learned to just work around because they were never fixed, doesn't have resumable games if you disconnect, and is missing most of the star players.

If BB2 actually fixes all those problems, it's probably worth the money. Especially if you wait a few months and buy it during a steam sale.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

The current version has horrible lovely netcode, loads of bugs we all learned to just work around because they were never fixed, doesn't have resumable games if you disconnect, and is missing most of the star players.

If BB2 actually fixes all those problems, it's probably worth the money. Especially if you wait a few months and buy it during a steam sale.

Yeah, I'm fully expecting none of those problems to be fixed.

Edit: Also, as far as I'm aware the Star Players in BB2 will be DLC gated.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

E2: ON THE OTHER HAND, this one time the Nezumi won a huge fuckin' tournament and were 'rewarded' by no longer being a playable faction.

Wasn't there a thing where one faction 'won the imperial sword' or something and one of their big faction heroes got stabbed by it in the fiction that wrote up the event?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Wasn't there a thing where one faction 'won the imperial sword' or something and one of their big faction heroes got stabbed by it in the fiction that wrote up the event?

Gencon 1996: Sword of the Hantei - The winning clan will obtain the Ancestral Sword of the Hantei - From Jadehand.com

In the story, the Crab Clan Champion Hida Kisada finds that the current Hantei emperor is possesssed and gets stabbed in the gut with the Sword of the Hantei.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wasn't there at least one case where two big finalists spontaneously agreed to stop fighting and instead battled the judge? Or something like that?

poo poo, there was once a Scorpion player who brought a big stack of ancestral swords (a fixed 1/starter card only printed in the first edition) and bribed his way through the tournament with them, until he found someone who wasn't willing to take the bribe and lost, because Scorpion were bad. He was rewarded for this in the storyline by the Scorpion stealing the Lion ancestral sword and using it to bribe... somebody. The Crane, maybe? I know the Lion eventually stole it back from the Crane.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yep, that would be what happened to the Crab clan after a tournament to claim the Imperial Sword - the demon-possessed emperor lodged it right in the spine of their fan-favorite champion, Hida Kisada. In fact, he was supposed to die outright according to John Wick, but Five Rings Publishing nixed the idea due to Kisada's popularity. Wick was pretty upset about that, so he paralyzed Kisada from the waist down and informally referred him as the "Crab Clan Gimp" instead.

TBF, in the next set with the Imperial Sword, the Crab Clan got to equip it for free. However, it certainly wasn't an equal trade for the Crab, and in the next storyline, Kisada would eventually die from that wound anyway (and wasn't playable in any form).

Mind, his popularity would eventually see him return from the dead, get murdered again, become a patron saint, and have a descendant take on his name and become the current champion, so all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In fact, he was supposed to die outright according to John Wick, but Five Rings Publishing nixed the idea due to Kisada's popularity. Wick was pretty upset about that, so he paralyzed Kisada from the waist down and informally referred him as the "Crab Clan Gimp" instead.
Stay classy, John.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh I thought the john wick quip was a jab at 47 ronin

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Of course, I also remember the Mantis-Phoenix war were the story presented Phoenix as ailing, but then Phoenix started killing in the meta, winning major tournaments, including a series of nationwide tourneys. Certainly that would change things, right?

Nope. The Mantis took two of the three major castles and held Phoenix lands for a year, with Phoenix only hanging on partly due to deus ex machina before finally getting to give them the boot.

Granted, for the most part including the fan community in the storyline is pretty amazing and the story team can have have a thankless job at times, since by no means can you please everyone. At the same time, the actual results vary pretty wildly in their ability to balance fan input and the predetermined narrative.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Man, every time I even think about getting into Warhammer minis, everything I hear from the fan community convinces me it's not worth it.

I don't really understand the idea of an "Age of Sigmar." I only get into Warhammer through WFRP, where I'm pretty sure the only evidence for the Imperial gods' existence is that their clerics can cast spells.

NinjaDebugger posted:

poo poo, there was once a Scorpion player who brought a big stack of ancestral swords (a fixed 1/starter card only printed in the first edition) and bribed his way through the tournament with them, until he found someone who wasn't willing to take the bribe and lost, because Scorpion were bad. He was rewarded for this in the storyline by the Scorpion stealing the Lion ancestral sword and using it to bribe... somebody. The Crane, maybe? I know the Lion eventually stole it back from the Crane.
The Scorpion Clan was Wick's baby, wasn't it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Every time I see "Sigmar", for some reason my brain reads it as "Smizmar" for a second.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, every time I even think about getting into Warhammer minis, everything I hear from the fan community convinces me it's not worth it.

I don't really understand the idea of an "Age of Sigmar." I only get into Warhammer through WFRP, where I'm pretty sure the only evidence for the Imperial gods' existence is that their clerics can cast spells.

I think Sigmar is a definite in-universe historical figure, it's like the Empire humans were all worshipping Charlemagne-Conan-Jesus. This doesn't explain why he is suddenly making faceless golem space marines who are somehow much more bland than that series of words would imply that you can buy for £30 or your regional equivalent for a pack of 5.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Of course, I also remember the Mantis-Phoenix war were the story presented Phoenix as ailing, but then Phoenix started killing in the meta, winning major tournaments, including a series of nationwide tourneys. Certainly that would change things, right?

Nope. The Mantis took two of the three major castles and held Phoenix lands for a year, with Phoenix only hanging on partly due to deus ex machina before finally getting to give them the boot.

Granted, for the most part including the fan community in the storyline is pretty amazing and the story team can have have a thankless job at times, since by no means can you please everyone. At the same time, the actual results vary pretty wildly in their ability to balance fan input and the predetermined narrative.

Did this also happen during the reign of John Wick? I'm increasingly beginning to feel every successful game he's made has been successful in spite of his contributions rather then because of it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

The Scorpion Clan was Wick's baby, wasn't it?

Yuuup.

See, the thing is, Wick often gets credit for "creating" L5R, and that's not quite true. He did do a hell of a lot to flesh out and define the setting, don't get me wrong. But he didn't devise the original six clans, those were created before he came on board. But then he got to introduce a seventh clan in the first expansion, Shadowlands, which gave us the Scorpion...

... and that was his baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Archaeology Hat posted:

I think Sigmar is a definite in-universe historical figure, it's like the Empire humans were all worshipping Charlemagne-Conan-Jesus. This doesn't explain why he is suddenly making faceless golem space marines who are somehow much more bland than that series of words would imply that you can buy for £30 or your regional equivalent for a pack of 5.

Sigmar was the first Emperor and the guy who came up with the whole electoral system for Emperors as an attempt to prevent civil wars and succession struggles. It didn't work, but it was a nice enough thought. Amusingly, in the old fluff, only the Empire even paid the guy any mind; all the rest of the human nations just thought of him as a regional god you sometimes pay tribute to or act polite about while you're in his country.

Also, they cost 50 USD per pack of 5, with the implication you'll need 20-30 of them. This is meant to be a skirmish game with a small buy-in and outside of the starter set, a decent unit of Sigmarines costs like 200-300 dollars.

• Locked thread