Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Having not played Expert, my Expert advice is to not play it until you've done most of the normal mode and then run through expert like a maniac shrugging off the crazy buffed boss attacks with your Beetle armor, grenade launcher, and sick yoyo tricks.

Buuuuut I'm a guy who's against nerfing late game items like the Spectre set, Vampire Knives and Red's yoyo. It's endgame, why make things less good? If it really bugs you so much you don't have to use em.

Pffft. Beetle Armor. Come back when you've got Solar Flare armor and a godly Terrarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sworder posted:

Thank to my Legendary Fetid Baghnakhs I was able to kill the Destroyer for the first time ever. Now I just need to survive more than half a second against the one Twin's firebreath.

I used the rod of discord to get out of that, but apparently it's a 1 in 500 drop? I think I got one from my very first chaos elemental.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Also do you want to smash every single altar you can or is there a point where the diminishing returns aren't worth the hassle of spawning more crimson/hallow?

You only really need to smash three. Especially if you have wings, a metal detector, and a few spelunker potions, so you can just float around in hell scanning the ceiling for adamantine/titanium.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Keep in mind when you destroy an altar there's a chance a small patch of Hallow or Corruption/Crimson will spawn in the world, which can then grow.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RatHat posted:

Keep in mind when you destroy an altar there's a chance a small patch of Hallow or Corruption/Crimson will spawn in the world, which can then grow.

Isn't it guaranteed to spawn like a single block somewhere

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The wiki says it's just a chance, so I dunno.

Alchemy tables seem almost as broken as the Staff of Regrowth.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Ugh, died to Moon Lord, took a break before doing the whole event again and now the save is corrupted. :negative:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Seditiar posted:

Ugh, died to Moon Lord, took a break before doing the whole event again and now the save is corrupted. :negative:

Sounds like the Moon Lord hella poo poo on you

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Reminder to periodically make manual backups of your world/saves since corruption seems to be rampant.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reminder to never exit the game without checking if your cell phone hasn't been inadvertently dropped on the ground :suicide:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can you make living mahogany walls? if so, how

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Tollymain posted:

can you make living mahogany walls? if so, how

with a living mahogany wand. I found one in an underground giant tree in the underground jungle.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

How do I turn that room at the bottom into a bedroom? does it need a manmade back wall?

halp. wanna build this vault :downs:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

How do I turn that room at the bottom into a bedroom? does it need a manmade back wall?

Yeap, manmade. Will need to hammer down from the top before you can place manmade back walls though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Pound_Coin posted:

Yes, natural walls let monsters spawn and you can't set your spawn at a bed in a room monsters can spawn in. That said, you'll have to lay backwalls down starting from the surface because you can't clear out backwall or replace backwall unless it's touching an "open" backwall or a player-placed backwall already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chances are it's not registering because the back wall is natural and not placed by you. it's alright to have the actual walls and floor and poo poo made out of, say, dirt, but back walls are different and the game is not a fan of dirt/snow/etc. back walls that are naturally occurring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lay down tin plated walls and make it into a fallout vault. Then you have an excuse if you decide to treat the NPCs as poo poo anyways. Its thematic! :v:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

...So to have my NPCs live in an underground vault I'll need to hammer out the entire background area of their rooms from the surface down?

jesus.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I spent the morning working on a high capacity greenhouse. 99 of each type of herb is planted!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

...So to have my NPCs live in an underground vault I'll need to hammer out the entire background area of their rooms from the surface down?

jesus.

In previous versions, yes, but in this one you can just replace the backwall straight up - left clicking on the natural snow backwall once with a crafted backwall in your hand once will remove it, then again to place that. You can do that straight down that wall separating your greenhouse area from the shaft on the left so that you don't have an ugly seam in your base.

You'll probably want to replace it all eventually anyway because monsters can spawn there (this isn't minecraft, they don't give a poo poo about light levels, it's all about what's in the background layer) but that'll do for getting your bedroom valid and some NPC spawn areas set up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pound_Coin posted:

jesus.

Nah, once you go deep enough the cave background doesn't count as a kind of wall, so you can just place your manmade walls directly.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I spent the morning working on a high capacity greenhouse. 99 of each type of herb is planted!

Remember to harvest with a Staff of Regrowth for extra herbs.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pound_Coin posted:

jesus.

Have you tried just placing walls? Maybe it'll let you just override it. If not, turn on smart cursor and hold down mouse1 with a hammer. Won't take that long.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Read posted:

Remember to harvest with a Staff of Regrowth for extra herbs.

I'm pretty sure one harvest of a greenhouse that size is gonna make you set on herbs for ages, with or without a staff of regrowth.

Pound_Coin posted:

jesus.

If you can catch a rockfish in the caverns it can smash almost every wall with just one swing, making clearing out walls much faster. Though as others have mentioned, you can now replace walls just by placing a new wall over them. You have to start from the source either way though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure one harvest of a greenhouse that size is gonna maker you set on herbs for ages, with or without a staff of regrowth.

Deathweed and Shiverthorn bloom infrequently enough it's still worth using for them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I can't remember the exact name but I combined the sun and moon amulets into the Celestial one which gives an always on stat boost which seems nice. Means I can't use my yo yo bag though.

Last slot is obsidian shield.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2015

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

VodeAndreas posted:

What do you guys use for your late game exploring accessories? I don't mean what do you use for expert Plantera but when you're just going for a quick trip to hell for some groceries.

Wings are a given, and I'm assuming most people have or want lava waders and frostspark boots, what about your other slot(s)?

I run Charm of Myths, Obsidian Shield (Ankh recommended if you can stomach the item hunt), Lightning Boots, Wings, and if you beat Expert Plantera the rainbow item you get is extrodinarily helpful for exploration honestly.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 13, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty much convinced martian probes don't exist anymore and I know that if I do somehow find one my stardust dragon will just instagib it anyway :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

I can't remember the exact name but I combined the sun and moon amulets into the Celestial one which gives an always on stat boost which seems nice. Means I can't use my yo yo bag though.

I use my combination of a Lucky Coin and a ring that lets me pick up money from much farther away. Also wings, obsidian shield, lava waders, and frostspark boots. With a bunch of other poo poo in my cosmetic slots to swap to like my yoyo bag.

Speaking of, I wanted to make an optic staff to try it out since my deadly sphere staff wasn't any good at navigating tight quarters and such, but didn't have enough souls, so I took my beetle armor and Eye of Cthulhu yoyo and utterly melted them. :staredog: I gotta try this thing on the other mechanical bosses.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : misread

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

VodeAndreas posted:

Wings, boots, and shield are all never gonna get unequipped, it seems. Which leaves me with two flex slots since I'm not playing on expert; currently I'm using a yoyo bag (too goddamn good even as a summoner) and the +1 minion necklace you can buy from the Witch Doctor. I'll probably swap the minion necklace out for the celestial stone you mentioned, though. Especially if I can get a moon charm to upgrade it again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

has this always been one of the subtitles that can roll or did red add it recently to make fun of starbound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure it's always been a joke about how sand does/did a shitload of damage in terraria if it falls on you

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm pretty sure it's always been a joke about how sand does/did a shitload of damage in terraria if it falls on you

I finally have metal armor, I guess I can be a bit more lazy digging when sand is around now-son of a BITCH.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
E: wrong thread

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

oddium posted:

has this always been one of the subtitles that can roll or did red add it recently to make fun of starbound

I live under a rock, what did sand do to Starbound?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

oddium posted:

My favorite thing to do at launch was put a sand block above an open door and murder all my friends.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I live under a rock, what did sand do to Starbound?

In the beginning! Sand was a free flowing substance where digging through it made you basically go for a fun ride down the sliding pile. This also knocked loose any ore that was inside the sand, so "sand surfing" it was both fun to do and effective for mining.

The devs looked upon this thing everybody enjoyed, and decided that was no good. Removing the ability to get ore from sand.

EDIT: I think the first way they did this was kludging it so ore was still in sand, but trying to dig it out merely destroyed it, or some other "We gotta put a stop to this, right NOW!" patchwork job,

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 13, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Section Z posted:

In the beginning! Sand was a free flowing substance where digging through it made you basically go for a fun ride down the sliding pile. This also knocked loose any ore that was inside the sand, so "sand surfing" it was both fun to do and effective for mining.

The devs looked upon this thing everybody enjoyed, and decided that was no good. Removing the ability to get ore from sand.

EDIT: I think the first way they did this was kludging it so ore was still in sand, but trying to dig it out merely destroyed it, or some other "We gotta put a stop to this, right NOW!" patchwork job,

Starting a long tradition of the Starbound devs not knowing what made (or could make) their game fun, from what I remember. Such a shame, that game was a fantastic idea on paper. I'll give it another look if/when they're "finished" though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

VodeAndreas posted:

I skip the wings since I have a flying mount (pigron) and they aren't useful enough underground to justify them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oddium posted:

Nah, sand used to do like 15 damage a second at launch.

Plus, cactus was a physical object you could run into and it did damage to you and only you. Just like spikes.