Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

cowboythreespeech posted:

this is kick-rear end

I don't quite understand that whole video. So it was a take off of Mirror's Edge and a GoPro was involved but how was it made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never seen "It can smell fear" applied in seriousness to an inanimate object....but here we are.

I have definitely used commercial lawn equipment to which this applies. Namely, a Scag walk-behind with a Velke wheel attachment. You have to be confident and almost sort of hang loose and not manhandle it, or it will throw you off like a bucking bronco.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
You guys go to all that effort and miss this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89O6j1SOUVs

It has safety features.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

im no expert but i think this might be broken

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
take a salt tablet

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So that's what boneitis looks like.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Someone broke the oldest, most important rule: Never stick you pinky in a pencil sharpener.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

ianmacdo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUSQm5ZskQ
Heres the longer version, with more safety dad.

"Kid" my rear end, that guy looks like hes 30

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I like the big chunks of disconnected flesh they x-rayed

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FIRST TIME posted:

I don't quite understand that whole video. So it was a take off of Mirror's Edge and a GoPro was involved but how was it made?

My guess is that they flew a drone around and filmed limbs flailing over a green screen.

Edit: looks like a lot more of it than I thought was practical, but you can see them filming limb moments against the sky at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX5WVRDK63o

Edit: it reminded me of this video, which is a lot of more obvious in execution.
https://youtu.be/H0Ib9SwC7EI

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

From a page back, but every person I've ever talked to who lost a finger or got an end cut off says that they wish they had opted for amputation rather then getting it sewed back on. Apparently even with a clean cut it's nothing but trouble and never heals or feels right again. Or maybe it's lovely doctors around here idk.

Both my dad and my older brother lost the tip of their right index finger (to tell the truth I'm kind of worried about my own, gypsy curse style) at different points in their lives and had them re-attached and they were fine. My brother went on to become a very good guitarist.

EDIT-The weird thing though, is that the fingernail never grew after that so they both had these weird baby sized fingernails on that finger.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Scaramouche posted:

Both my dad and my older brother lost the tip of their right index finger (to tell the truth I'm kind of worried about my own, gypsy curse style) at different points in their lives and had them re-attached and they were fine. My brother went on to become a very good guitarist.

EDIT-The weird thing though, is that the fingernail never grew after that so they both had these weird baby sized fingernails on that finger.

My father and paternal grandfather have similar experiences with table saws and fingers. I've never used one.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

"All right I'm going to need you to hold your arm at an angle like this so I can get a good x-ray... no, don't flop it over, just keep it in this position... like this... okay, I'll just start the machine and hope for the best"

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

FIRST TIME posted:

quote:

Everything shot on GoPro Hero 3/4 using a mouth-mount. All of the Parkour/Freerunning is real. Bonus clips / outtakes : youtube.com/watch?v=MX5WVRDK63o
https://vimeo.com/132980067

Clearly there was some special effects done for some of the scenes. Definitely not an OSHA post but hot drat, it was worth it.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 12, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Uthor posted:

My guess is that they flew a drone around and filmed limbs flailing over a green screen.

Edit: looks like a lot more of it than I thought was practical, but you can see them filming limb moments against the sky at the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX5WVRDK63o

Edit: it reminded me of this video, which is a lot of more obvious in execution.
https://youtu.be/H0Ib9SwC7EI

OK, that makes sense. It's a cool video and everything, I just wasn't sure about the technical aspect of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

"All right I'm going to need you to hold your arm at an angle like this so I can get a good x-ray... no, don't flop it over, just keep it in this position... like this... okay, I'll just start the machine and hope for the best"

That arm is clearly no longer attached to a person. It seems cruel to make the amputee hold his own arm in the machine... surely you could have an orderly or nurse or someone do it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Leperflesh posted:

That arm is clearly no longer attached to a person. It seems cruel to make the amputee hold his own arm in the machine... surely you could have an orderly or nurse or someone do it.

My hospital, my rules

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I wonder if there was a point to this x-ray, or if the intern with the ziplock bag full of arm just took a detour into radiology on the way to the incinerator for shits and giggles.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Howard Beale posted:

My hospital, my rules

Here is reddit post about that x-ray from last year. Has photo of arm IRL too: https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/25975a/meat_grinder_your_arm_scary_xray_sfw/

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I wonder if there was a point to this x-ray, or if the intern with the ziplock bag full of arm just took a detour into radiology on the way to the incinerator for shits and giggles.

Knowing medical staff, they had a department wide pool running to guess how many shards that arm had been broken into.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

c0ldfuse posted:

Here is reddit post about that x-ray from last year. Has photo of arm IRL too: https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/25975a/meat_grinder_your_arm_scary_xray_sfw/

quote:

subway. eat fresh

Can't really unsee that now.

Also now I'm hungry.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I want to punch that guy in the face.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FIRST TIME posted:

I want to punch that guy in the face.

I want to shake that guy's hand charred stump-appendage

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I thought a little bit more about it and came to the conclusion that if somehow there was a ticking time bomb somewhere and this guy had to hack the Gibson to recapture the nuclear football and save the president's kidnapped daughter and this was literally all he had to work with, it would be genius.

Somehow though, I don't think any of that was going on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's cool that he could assemble all that risk-free. I wish American sockets had power switches on them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That just looks more like a drunken bet.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Oh hey an Australian socket! Wait american power outlets don't have on/off switches?

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Tambaloneus posted:

Oh hey an Australian socket! Wait american power outlets don't have on/off switches?

Neither do Canadian ones. Like, except for ones in the bathroom, sometimes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The switch on Australian outlets is SPST, and only switches the active.

Or, rather, only switches what's meant to be active - add one cheapskate who replaces a failed socket on his own to save the call-out fee for a licensed electrician and assembling this contraption becomes quite the crapshoot.

Also, AU is 230VAC, 50Hz, US is 110VAC, 60Hz. I really hope the other end of that is running to a switchmode power supply and not an electric razor.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Looks like someone really wanted to play xbox

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Tambaloneus posted:

Sometimes one of the living room power sockets will be controlled by a light switch near the door. It was fun times growing up when you'd accidentally plug the Nintendo into that socket then someone comes into the room and flips the wrong switch to turn on the lights and you lose all your game progress.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

IPCRESS posted:

The switch on Australian outlets is SPST, and only switches the active.

Or, rather, only switches what's meant to be active - add one cheapskate who replaces a failed socket on his own to save the call-out fee for a licensed electrician and assembling this contraption becomes quite the crapshoot.

Also, AU is 230VAC, 50Hz, US is 110VAC, 60Hz. I really hope the other end of that is running to a switchmode power supply and not an electric razor.

I hope it was his laptop and this is the shot before he tried to turn it on and it went ZPPFTZZZ and blew a nice hole in his mb.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tambaloneus posted:

I hope it was his laptop and this is the shot before he tried to turn it on and it went ZPPFTZZZ and blew a nice hole in his mb.

If it was a laptop, switchmode power supply would probably work just fine.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tambaloneus posted:

Laptops were initially designed for businessmen on the go, so 120/220 volt compatibility was an absolute necessity and that has held true for the entire history of the laptop. Buying a laptop power supply that doesn't do 120/220 would be a real treasure hunt, and even the cheapest Chinese knock-off probably does both.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FIRST TIME posted:

Sometimes one of the living room power sockets will be controlled by a light switch near the door.
There's a ton of places built around the 60's onwards where a small house gets DIY addons to usually accommodate a growing family. Or a house turns into a split unit so the wiring gets creative - the before-mentioned room powered on one switch is a classic example.

Often you end up playing hunt the light as it's in some nonsense spot,- such as having a bathroom with the main switch being in the corridor and any switches in the room itself are only for appliances.

A great example I have was a mate's house which was formerly owned and built by an architect. At that owner's insistence he also did his own wiring. Subsequently the entire place is illegal as all appliances run off the mains and the lights run off residual.

Another fun side-effect to Aussie DIY is creating carports down the side of the house. They usually end up blocking existing drainage, so the yard floods or they build a port over the above-ground gas main.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

WebDog posted:

A great example I have was a mate's house which was formerly owned and built by an architect. At that owner's insistence he also did his own wiring. Subsequently the entire place is illegal as all appliances run off the mains and the lights run off residual.

Huh?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FIRST TIME posted:

Sometimes one of the living room power sockets will be controlled by a light switch near the door. It was fun times growing up when you'd accidentally plug the Nintendo into that socket then someone comes into the room and flips the wrong switch to turn on the lights and you lose all your game progress.

You aren't supposed to plug in your nintendo there, that socket is for lamps. So you can turn all your lamps off and on with one switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

You aren't supposed to plug in your nintendo there, that socket is for lamps. So you can turn all your lamps off and on with one switch.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't still happen!

I think it might have just been a thing of that era but I seem to remember a lot of parents having a rule about putting the Nintendo away when you weren't using it. So it would just get plugged in wherever was convenient when you took it out to use it. It was also a more common thing to take your system over to a friend's house because not everybody had a system back then. That would also lead to it getting plugged into the switched outlet.

Was it a thing for most kids to play video games with the lights off? I remember doing that a lot. That's what made that switch a ticking time bomb because inevitably someone would walk in to turn the lights on and that would be it for the progress you had made in the game.

• Locked thread