Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Electromax posted:

TSCC > Terminator 3-5, I said it. Lena Headey should've been SC in a film.

Lena Headey is perfect as Sarah Connor who has mellowed out a bit in contrast to Hamilton's super-intense Connor. In some ways, I actually prefer Headey's take on the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Roadie posted:

The complete lack of grime or never having anything as much as a hair out of place really added to the effect. If they'd just given her some bags under her eyes and some smudged dust from running around sewers and whatever, she'd have looked much more adult and less like an underage wannabe soldier girl.

I feel like the weakest part of the movie was the characterisation of Sarah. If anything I think she is a weaker female protagonist than the Sarah from T1, which is an achievement considering that movie was made in the mid-80s.

The thing about T1 Sarah was that she was a scared normal person, but with inner strength. She goes from waitressing to pulling bits of metal out of her leg and saying 'gently caress you' to a machine trying to kill her. She has character development. The fact that she's normal also serves as a contrast to Kyle Reese's 'badass but socially stunted' thing. They compliment each other rather than him just saving her rear end constantly.

T2 on the other hand starts with her being a badass, but the correct kind of 'woah, this person is loving scary' badass rather than the 'I have perfect hair but occasionally whinge about how nobody loves me' badass.

In Genysis though, she just seems a bit pathetic. We get that she is supposed to be tough, but other than shooting a gun she never really demonstrates it. One scene in particular does it for me, which is when Sarah and Reese are arguing in hospital. First he mocks her for not having any proper human relationships. Let that sink in for a second, the virgin from the apocalyptic future who has been secretly obsessed with a photograph of his best friends mother just made fun of her social life. Then immediately after he unlocks her cuffs while literally saying 'just because I'm unlocking your cuffs doesn't mean you aren't capable' in a manner so condescending it made me want to punch him in the dick.

In short she does nothing to warrant her badass status aside from whinge a lot, and Kyle Reese seems to have shed any interesting character flaws to become generic handsome male love interest/protector number 256. Their whole relationship just falls totally flat.

EDIT: And to top it off, if you are a virgin from the future who is obsessed with a girl, talking about how much you care about her right before you have to get naked and press against each other is probably only going to cause embarrassment.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The idea is that it's a 'universal' operating system - able to work on any device. So you can be like "Siri, start my car." Then you tell the car "car, boot up my office PC, and head over there." This all works because it's secretly an AI.

In the military, you can just tell software "send the bombers over there," and whatever. Everything is will be perfectly coordinated.

The end-goal of all this is illustrated by the new Connor: people will hook thier own brains up to the software, joining Genysis's army entirely voluntarily. They won't even realize they're the bad guys.

Like I was saying, this movie is extremely good with the show-don't-tell. When you watch the ending, it's important to keep in mind that - according to the rules of Terminator time travel - little Kyle Reese is now doomed to travel back in time and 'become' this Reese. That's why the ending is bittersweet. A lesser film would spell this out.

I'm a little disappointed that you of all people aren't pointing out the movie is called genesis because the fall is caused by [apple]

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
It was probably due to the fact that I went in with rock bottom expectations, but I actually really liked Genisys. It was pretty much everything I was hoping Jurassic World would be in terms of "sequel largely driven by callbacks and nostalgia." Arnie was awesome (and the other actors were generally not bad - Jai Courtney was bland but nowhere near Sam Worthington levels), the action scenes were pretty fun, and the plot, while convoluted, didn't drag things down. I liked it and hope the sequels don't gently caress things up too bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

How is it a misinterpretation?

It's not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just got done seeing it.

It's a really drat good movie. They saved the Terminator music for the right moment.

Easily the third best, only hindered by some awkwardness with Kyle and Sarah. But I feel like they're on the right path.

I want to see where this story goes.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Exactly.

RLM is good precisely because their stuff is very self-conscious about the bubble it's contained in, meaning you can very easily laugh with them at something or at their own dumb nerd opinions. It's refreshing from the very hard-edged, I Am Right And A Smart Critic bullshit lots of other internet weirdos like to pull. It's also why I really like the Plinkett reviews despite thinking the prequels are cool and fun and smart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like the people who really thought their Prometheus nit picking video was a legit take down of the movie. I even asked Jay and he confirmed that I was pretty much right.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seeing Arnie all old was kind of sad. :smith:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Seeing Arnie all old was kind of sad. :smith:

Soon they'll be able to this

for a whole movie and actors will never need to get old again :unsmith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Simone was a great movie.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sir Kodiak posted:

God I hope not. That poo poo looked really unconvincing, especially when CGI Arnie starts grimacing when confronted by Pops.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Arnold Schwarzenegger will already live for all time you loving babies. He is immortal. Ya'll think The Terminator's ever gonna go away, the third best film ever made beside Gremlins 2 and Throne of Blood? gently caress off.

I'm glad we'll all die so one day I don't have to deal with your lovely opinions and then later don't have to deal with my lovely opinions either. See you in hell, which doesn't exist. Buy a fedora while you still can.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hbomberguy posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger will already live for all time you loving babies. He is immortal. Ya'll think The Terminator's ever gonna go away, the third best film ever made beside Gremlins 2 and Throne of Blood? gently caress off.

I'm glad we'll all die so one day I don't have to deal with your lovely opinions and then later don't have to deal with my lovely opinions either. See you in hell, which doesn't exist. Buy a fedora while you still can.

Can you please restrict your terrible posting to the Hobbit thread? Thanks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I could kill one movie, it would be this one.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

Can you please restrict your terrible posting to the Hobbit thread? Thanks.
I absolutely wil not stop (posting), ever, until you are dead. Or smarter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This movie had really good villains guys.

The T-3000 was fantastic.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

T-3000?!

http://www.flir.co.uk/cs/display/?id=42131

:hawaaaafap:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

This movie had really good villains guys.

The T-3000 was fantastic.

My only complaint about it is that it was wounded and bled like a human when first attacked by Pops but then went straight into machine mode from then on. If the studio had the stones to go for an R they could've done some fascinating (and probably highly unsettling) stuff with the imagery of a robot that is simulating the human body at the cellular level, even when it's having the living poo poo blasted out of it by heavy assault weapons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Red Letter Media describing the T-3000 as "the world's largest Wooly Willy toy" was absolutely spot-on.

The effects were rad, though. Whomever was in charge of that did a great job.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Best was when they were going for this with the magnetic fields.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
My girlfriend and I are finally gonna get to see Genisys on Friday night.

That is, assuming it's actually still showing in cinemas.

(Cinemas here in the UK always post their schedule for the week on a Thursday, so there's no way to know which cinemas will actually still have it until the day before. This is London, though, so there's quite a fair few cinemas. I was hoping to see it in one of the good ones, though.)

We recently watched T1 and T2, and we're 2 episodes away from finishing the Sarah Connor Chronicles. (She's been loving the series, though she was furious at the "all a dream" episode.)

Last night we watched T3 - she hadn't seen it before, knew nothing about it except that it was supposedly poo poo, ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

I was also pleasantly surprised and thought it was a lot better than I remembered. I think I was previously pissed at the self-parody jokes (Terminator franchise is serious business!) but this time I actually found about 3/4 of them quite funny.

The action sequences were good. John Conner and Kathryn Brewster were both OK, non-annoying characters (I can't remember the actors' names), and I liked the T-X's performance as well. (Except for her having an orgasm on tasting John Connor's blood, we both agreed that was dumb.)

My girlfriend pointed out that both T2's T-1000 and T3's T-X seem to show emotion, sometimes being smug or satisfied or angry. (The T-X has a little smug smile when Arnie is knocked off the crane.)

She theorised that since those Terminator's are so much more advanced (Arnie himself says the T-X is more intelligent), they are sophisticated enough to actually have emotions. So Skynet intentionally programs them to be psychopaths. Instead of an unfeeling killing machine, you have one that enjoys its work.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

True, but the T-1000 was perfectly polite and courteous when asking people in the mall if they'd seen John Connor. It wasn't until he saw him that he turned into murder killbot and started shoving people out of the way.

Whereas the T-X gave no fucks and murdered everyone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

your evil twin posted:

My girlfriend and I are finally gonna get to see Genisys on Friday night.

(Cinemas here in the UK always post their schedule for the week on a Thursday, so there's no way to know which cinemas will actually still have it until the day before. This is London, though, so there's quite a fair few cinemas. I was hoping to see it in one of the good ones, though.)

We recently watched T1 and T2, and we're 2 episodes away from finishing the Sarah Connor Chronicles. (She's been loving the series, though she was furious at the "all a dream" episode.)

Worst episode of the series, that. Made all the worse because there's a lot of neat character moments in it that are then utterly forgotten about because 'lol it's a dream'.

And, yeah, the T2 T-1000 definitely has a sadistic streak.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The 1920's gangster T-888 was a pillar of the greater LA community for years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

My only complaint about it is that it was wounded and bled like a human when first attacked by Pops but then went straight into machine mode from then on. If the studio had the stones to go for an R they could've done some fascinating (and probably highly unsettling) stuff with the imagery of a robot that is simulating the human body at the cellular level, even when it's having the living poo poo blasted out of it by heavy assault weapons.

Oh yeah. Though it's easy enough to understand- that blood was just a show because he was trying to be as human as possible for his parents.

After that he stopped that, and slowly but surely got less and less human, until the final battle with the Guardian where he just gave up the pretense entirely and went full murder bot. It was great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

your evil twin posted:

She theorised that since those Terminator's are so much more advanced (Arnie himself says the T-X is more intelligent), they are sophisticated enough to actually have emotions. So Skynet intentionally programs them to be psychopaths. Instead of an unfeeling killing machine, you have one that enjoys its work.
Interestingly enough, Dark Horse Comics did a comic series called "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" that plays around with this idea.

Despite using Salvation as a jumping off point, it ended up being a surprisingly clever series and had a really satisfying "end" to the war, and managed to even resolve some of the dangling plot points brought up in T3 and Salvation (such as John Connor's destiny to get killed by the terminator that gets reprogrammed for T3).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

your evil twin posted:

My :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: and I are finally gonna get to see Genisys on Friday night.

My :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: and I recently watched T1 and T2, and we're 2 episodes away from finishing the Sarah Connor Chronicles. (my :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren:'s been loving the series, though she was furious at the "all a dream" episode.)

Last night my :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: and I watched T3 - my :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: hadn't seen it before, knew nothing about it except that it was supposedly poo poo, ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

I was also pleasantly surprised and thought it was a lot better than I remembered. I think I was previously pissed at the self-parody jokes (Terminator franchise is serious business!) but this time I actually found about 3/4 of them quite funny.

The action sequences were good. John Conner and Kathryn Brewster were both OK, non-annoying characters (I can't remember the actors' names), and I liked the T-X's performance as well. (Except for her having an orgasm on tasting John Connor's blood, my :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: and I both agreed that was dumb.)

My :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: pointed out that both T2's T-1000 and T3's T-X seem to show emotion, sometimes being smug or satisfied or angry. (The T-X has a little smug smile when Arnie is knocked off the crane.)

My :siren:GIRLFRIEND:siren: theorised that since those Terminator's are so much more advanced (Arnie himself says the T-X is more intelligent), they are sophisticated enough to actually have emotions. So Skynet intentionally programs them to be psychopaths. Instead of an unfeeling killing machine, you have one that enjoys its work.

Your friends must absolutely hate hanging out with you given that you can't talk about a goddamn movie without throwing out a dozen references to your fat girlfriend.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Your friends must absolutely hate hanging out with you given that you can't talk about a goddamn movie without throwing out a dozen references to your fat girlfriend.

Come on Joe, you're better than this.

Don't disappoint me man. You can be such a shittier troll

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Xenomrph posted:

Interestingly enough, Dark Horse Comics did a comic series called "Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle" that plays around with this idea.

Despite using Salvation as a jumping off point, it ended up being a surprisingly clever series and had a really satisfying "end" to the war, and managed to even resolve some of the dangling plot points brought up in T3 and Salvation (such as John Connor's destiny to get killed by the terminator that gets reprogrammed for T3).

Ooh, that might be worth checking out. Thanks!

Irish Joe posted:

My gorgeous girlfriend, I'll have you know.

It's a consequence of the fact that we've been marathoning everything Terminator-related in the lead up to seeing the film. She hadn't seen anything except T1 and T2, and I thought that as a newcomer to the rest of the franchise her thoughts, feelings and theories were of interest to a bunch of goons discussing their thoughts about Terminator. (Most of us saw the movies and series years ago.)

If I were to simply post my own thoughts, it would be "T3 was better than I remembered, though not great." Hardly worth sharing. While several goons have responded to the psychopath theory, so... yeah.

I guess the phrase "my girlfriend" is a bit repetitive... I could have said "her" and "she" a lot, but generally it's not good English to use he/she/him/her in a new paragraph.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 13, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

your evil twin posted:

My gorgeous girlfriend, I'll have you know.

Your Evil Twin, seriously, don't bother.

Irish Joe is a poo poo poster extraordinaire. It's harder to tell at a glance now, as he got his dick sucking lips avatar replaced, but trust me. Dude's one of the biggest trolls out there. Ignore the man.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Burkion posted:

Your Evil Twin, seriously, don't bother.

Irish Joe is a poo poo poster extraordinaire. It's harder to tell at a glance now, as he got his dick sucking lips avatar replaced, but trust me. Dude's one of the biggest trolls out there. Ignore the man.

The three people you should never, ever engage with:

Irish Joe
TCJimbo
SuperMechaGodzilla

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ dont post pictures of your wife/gf/whatever.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

The three people you should never, ever engage with:

Irish Joe
TCJimbo
SuperMechaGodzilla

Damnit. I thought I was doing so well.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

your evil twin posted:

My girlfriend pointed out that both T2's T-1000 and T3's T-X seem to show emotion, sometimes being smug or satisfied or angry. (The T-X has a little smug smile when Arnie is knocked off the crane.)

Did the T-1000 show much emotion? I remember it showing curiosity, like when it spotted the shiny mannequin head, and potentially surprise when it was shot in the stomach at the end.

Personally I found the T-X to be dumb, since it showed way too much emotion in some scenes but when interacting with humans it acted like a dumb robot and an arguably worse 'infiltrator' than the T-1000.

Co-incidentally that is one of the differences I really like between the T-101 and the T-1000. If Arnie is looking for someone he's going to show up dressed like a hell's angel, bellow "WHERE IS SERAH CONNA?" and if that fails he'll drive a car through the building. He's a walking tank, but pretty poo poo at pretending to be human. The T-1000 on the other hand is more likely to fake a uniform, be polite and trick people into helping him than simply plow right through them. It has the gift of subtlety, and you could leave out the mimetic thing entirely and it would still clearly be the superior model since it's such a better infiltrator than Arnie.

Then you have the T-X, and we are back to "I LIKE YOUR GUN" followed by being shot in the face, weirdly juxtaposed with it showing more emotion when alone than when actively pretending to be human.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I unabashedly loved the stupid Arnold body/scientist voice gag, can't remember if that was just a deleted scene or not.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

jabby posted:

Did the T-1000 show much emotion? I remember it showing curiosity, like when it spotted the shiny mannequin head, and potentially surprise when it was shot in the stomach at the end.

Oh yeah, it killed John's foster dad out of not much more than plain annoyance. Finger wag towards the end in the steel plant. Exasperation as it tortures Sarah Connor.

Deleted scene: it tries to figure out why "John" hung up as soon as he said "Wolfie", goes outside, stabs the dog, takes the collar, reads it and throws it away in a kind of disgust.

Plenty of little things it does with or without a human audience point to it having a certain level of emotional affect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ruby idiot railed posted:

Oh yeah, it killed John's foster dad out of not much more than plain annoyance. Finger wag towards the end in the steel plant. Exasperation as it tortures Sarah Connor.

Deleted scene: it tries to figure out why "John" hung up as soon as he said "Wolfie", goes outside, stabs the dog, takes the collar, reads it and throws it away in a kind of disgust.

Plenty of little things it does with or without a human audience point to it having a certain level of emotional affect.

I really hope the original T-1000 shows up in the future sequels. In theory he should be out there some where.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Electromax posted:

I unabashedly loved the stupid Arnold body/scientist voice gag, can't remember if that was just a deleted scene or not.

It's a deleted scene and it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Terminator 3 was almost a really good comedy.

Terminator 3, people 0

• Locked thread