Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wait, how do your switches work if turning the lights on would depower the socket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Uthor posted:

Wait, how do your switches work if turning the lights on would depower the socket?

They go for the switch that they think is the lights, but it's actually the switch for the socket the system is plugged into.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Blistex posted:

Laptops were initially designed for businessmen on the go, so 120/220 volt compatibility was an absolute necessity and that has held true for the entire history of the laptop. Buying a laptop power supply that doesn't do 120/220 would be a real treasure hunt, and even the cheapest Chinese knock-off probably does both.

They don't sell PC power supplies with those handy "120/220" self-destruct buttons anymore either.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Uthor posted:

It's because there's usually two switches right inside the doorway. One is for the built in light fixtures in the room, the other for the socket that you would normally plug a lamp into.

Somebody walks in and flips the wrong switch by accident. This is more likely to happen because for whatever reason lots of houses back then seemed to have switches installed upside down. So you go over to someone else's house, you might not know which way is on or off until you flip the switch.

Somewhat related and more OSHA relevant, I also remember houses sometimes having electrical outlets installed upside down. The house I grew up in actually had this problem. I almost got shocked because of this. The power connector on the Nintendo was a wall wart and I had to plug it in upside down because of our outlets. This meant that it didn't fit flush in the socket and would be hanging part way out. I was adjusting the antennae on our TV and dropped it. It just happened to fall into that gap and cross the prongs on the plug. There was a loud pop and flash of light. Everything was OK but it burned right through the antennae where it had touched the prongs. Thankfully I hadn't tried to reach for the antennae as it fell.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Ironically, from what I've read a little bit just now, some people think that the "incorrect" outlet position is safer because if a plug is loose and something conductive falls in the gap, the ground prong being positioned on top will prevent a short circuit. That would be great if everything had a ground prong but not everything does, especially most wall warts like the Nintendo one that hang out of an upside down outlet at an extreme angle because of its weight.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 13, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hanging bulky power supplies off a wall outlet is kind of dumb anyway, they're generally heavy enough to loosen themselves eventually even in the correct position. Especially if your outlets are older and not as...tight as they used to be.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FIRST TIME posted:

It's because there's usually two switches right inside the doorway. One is for the built in light fixtures in the room, the other for the socket that you would normally plug a lamp into.

Oh, duh.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Conventionally the bottom outlet is switched, because you're probably going to leave that lamp plugged in forever so it's easier to plug/unplug stuff on top while the bottom outlet is occupied than the other way around.

But I'm sure that level of thought doesn't go into a lot of work so YMMV.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

My favourite thing is where they put the outlet just above the carpet so that you can never plug an adaptor directly into it because the loving cord doesn't fit properly. Now, I suppose an adult would go "gee I guess I'll go get a powerboard" but a child goes "ngghhh if i shove it in real hard it fits" and thus burns a hole in the carpet when the cord burns through from being bent double. I was a lazy child. I had to hide the hole in the carpet by raking some fluff from another bit of carpet and stuffing it in the hole.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

Was it a thing for most kids to play video games with the lights off? I remember doing that a lot. That's what made that switch a ticking time bomb because inevitably someone would walk in to turn the lights on and that would be it for the progress you had made in the game.

You would in the days of CRT televisions to reduce the glare.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxsJaOa900

this is entertaining

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Hanging bulky power supplies off a wall outlet is kind of dumb anyway, they're generally heavy enough to loosen themselves eventually even in the correct position. Especially if your outlets are older and not as...tight as they used to be.

Yeah but what was I really going to do as kid? Look for an extension cord or a power strip? gently caress no, I just wanted to play Nintendo.

FCKGW posted:

You would (play Nintendo in the dark) in the days of CRT televisions to reduce the glare.

Yeah, that makes sense. It became such an automatic part of the video gaming ritual that I'd kind of forgotten why.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 13, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stick Insect posted:

They don't sell PC power supplies with those handy "120/220" self-destruct buttons anymore either.

<looks at back of PC> "Well I'll be damned!"

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

My first thought: "wouldn't a machine like that have a bar you have to hold down on the handle to keep the engine running?"

My second: "...a bar which would be immediately wired down by the guy using it so he wouldn't have to hold it"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I really thought someone was going to get hurt. Is there a thing that's the opposite of the bystander effect? Like where everybody feels like they have to look like they're trying to help, even if they don't know what the hell they're doing and will likely make the situation worse? Like the guys that make a token grab at the handle every time it comes around to their side.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

My first thought: "wouldn't a machine like that have a bar you have to hold down on the handle to keep the engine running?"

My second: "...a bar which would be immediately wired down by the guy using it so he wouldn't have to hold it"

Yeah, here's what I found in an online manual for one of these machines:

quote:

Safety Stop Switch or Inertia Lever – If the operator loses
control and lets go of the trowel, the inertia lever will be swung
to OFF position by centrifugal force, and shut down the engine
or if a dead mans pedal is fitted releasing the foot pressure,
will stop the machine. These switches MUST be tested before
each use of the trowel. It is also recommended that these
switches be used to stop the engine after each use of the
trowel to validate there operation.

Guess what those guys probably didn't do!

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 13, 2015

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I know this isn't osha but anyone have the video of that gasoline-lit-fire-inferno from hell slip and slide? The dude suffered major burns trying to slide through the inferno. It was entertaining as hell

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'm paraphrasing residual current devices in most household switchboards:

quote:

In Australia and New Zealand, residual current devices have been mandatory on power circuits since 1991 and on light circuits since 2000.[9] A minimum of two RCDs is required per domestic installation. All socket outlets and lighting circuits are to be distributed over circuit RCD's. A maximum of three subcircuits only, may be connected to a single RCD.

This usually means your lights are on one RCD and your sockets in another with different sensitivity ratings. So in the case of the architect who wired his house, all of the wall sockets in the house lead into the mains breaker instead. The risk being that if something shorted it would have less chance of tripping off the safety.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Tony Homo posted:

I know this isn't osha but anyone have the video of that gasoline-lit-fire-inferno from hell slip and slide? The dude suffered major burns trying to slide through the inferno. It was entertaining as hell

Trying to put out a gasoline fire with water! :bravo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlnu7e9Z9I

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

FIRST TIME posted:

:confuoot::prepop::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

WebDog posted:

I'm paraphrasing residual current devices in most household switchboards:

This usually means your lights are on one RCD and your sockets in another with different sensitivity ratings. So in the case of the architect who wired his house, all of the wall sockets in the house lead into the mains breaker instead. The risk being that if something shorted it would have less chance of tripping off the safety.

I forgot GFCIs were called RCDs, so that makes more sense, thanks

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FIRST TIME posted:

Stop, drop and roll, motherfucker!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Angela Christine posted:

You aren't supposed to plug in your nintendo there, that socket is for lamps. So you can turn all your lamps off and on with one switch.

Current building regs in the uk insist that the lamp sockets have a specific plug design so you cant plug regular devices into them. I think the logic is that the maps are on a 5A fuse vs a 13A but I'm not convinced that the sockets at my dad's house aren't just on the 13A circuit because the electrician was lazy.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ultra‐low deck for EZ loading.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Stick Insect posted:

They glued those shut on the pcs in our computer lab, but forgot to do it when they got a shiny new batch in. At the end of the first day, about half of them had been hosed with.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i was on the jobsite, but my dingus coworker dropped the glass we were hanging and it fell on my crotch and chopped off my dick and balls

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
e:fb here are some better OHS videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDDgDqTqW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYRQN-dxXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u51OxZF1ltI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8zVnErdPfE

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 13, 2015

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I don't know why but NZ PSA's are really good. You should look up some of the more recent drink driving ads - look for 'ghost chips'

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

I had a job that involved driving into semis in a lift just like that one. We started implementing "trailer checks" where you had some form that you'd do a walkaround with and check for damage, missing rivets, dents, holes in the sidewalls, etc. Made a lot of sense. Of course, the two crummy trailers that we actually owned had missing rivets and dents and holes all over the place and would have failed inspection hardcore. There was talk about getting them fixed up however.

I guess it was better to inspect at least some trailers rather than none, but it did seem kind of stupid although I personally didn't mind.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

For many a year, this was my job. :stare: I am so loving happy this never happened.

Watched a guy peel the side off a trailer like a sardine tin, when he got the mast stuck on it. :v:

dablakh0l
Sep 3, 2002

FIRST TIME posted:

Somebody walks in and flips the wrong switch by accident. This is more likely to happen because for whatever reason lots of houses back then seemed to have switches installed upside down. So you go over to someone else's house, you might not know which way is on or off until you flip the switch.

Somewhat related and more OSHA relevant, I also remember houses sometimes having electrical outlets installed upside down. The house I grew up in actually had this problem. I almost got shocked because of this. The power connector on the Nintendo was a wall wart and I had to plug it in upside down because of our outlets. This meant that it didn't fit flush in the socket and would be hanging part way out. I was adjusting the antennae on our TV and dropped it. It just happened to fall into that gap and cross the prongs on the plug. There was a loud pop and flash of light. Everything was OK but it burned right through the antennae where it had touched the prongs. Thankfully I hadn't tried to reach for the antennae as it fell.

Actually, there is no specification of orientation in the NEC code book. Two theories about it being mounted with the ground pin up is that something dropped from above would hit the ground pin first rather than shorting the two main lugs. The second, is that someone plugging a cord in, most likely has his thumb on the top of the connector. If his thumb touches the ground lug when plugging the cord in, nothing happens. However, if his thumb bridges the main tabs, he's going to know it immediately. Originally, the 3-prong outlet was designed to be mounted ground up, however people saw a face in the pattern and mounted it 'right side up'.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

dablakh0l posted:

Actually, there is no specification of orientation in the NEC code book. Two theories about it being mounted with the ground pin up is that something dropped from above would hit the ground pin first rather than shorting the two main lugs. The second, is that someone plugging a cord in, most likely has his thumb on the top of the connector. If his thumb touches the ground lug when plugging the cord in, nothing happens. However, if his thumb bridges the main tabs, he's going to know it immediately. Originally, the 3-prong outlet was designed to be mounted ground up, however people saw a face in the pattern and mounted it 'right side up'.

Once again the mighty British 3 pin plug/morning star combo wins, until the earth pin is engaged the socket won't actually switch, none of this mount it upside down poo poo.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Once again the mighty British 3 pin plug/morning star combo wins, until the earth pin is engaged the socket won't actually switch, none of this mount it upside down poo poo.

I'm not entirely sure the inbuilt protections for infantile stupidity makes up for the pain of stepping on the fuckers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I used to drive a forklift into trucks for unloading/loading, and this was always one of my biggest worries. We had some lovely trucks, and driving over a floor that you can see daylight through is not comfortable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That final tally is pretty awesome.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

KozmoNaut posted:

Stop, drop and roll, motherfucker!

Nope. Lets just stand here on fire....

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I'm thinking there's a lever they hold to run the buffer and somebody tied it down.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

E:F;B

Guys had PPE so their clothes didn't catch on fire - not sure if they had arc-rated face shields or not.

Ultra-slow motion arc flash tests: these are so slow that you can see the AC power pulsing at twice the line frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-w0QAaxRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwI48O0MUXY

The face shield doesn't help much when you have a steel disconnect cover flying towards your face at a couple hundred miles an hour. That's one of the concerns I need to discuss with people where I work - there are boundary areas for shock and arc flash hazards, if you can imagine a series of expanding spheres around exposed and energized equipment. However I could see situations where shrapnel could be thrown well outside of those boundaries during a short circuit event.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cross-post from the shaden thread. not quite work related, but drat.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's at a rodeo. The best ones to watch are when they release the bulls.

EDIT: Sorry, that's not the musical chairs. That's when four guys sit at a table in the middle of the arena "playing poker" with the last person to move wins. Then they release the bulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyZh9Sh-As

• Locked thread