Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Your partner is the bad guy. I do think feeling bad even if it's not your fault is what most normal people will do. She would've just shuffled a random card down iirc unless there's cards that were publicly known to have been in the hand.

And what do you mean the judge wouldn't let you concede? Lol. I'm also half expecting the judge to have used the word hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Balon posted:

Prerelease drama.

You and your partner didn't do anything wrong and its not your fault. She clearly has like social anxiety or aspergers or something and that's not really your problem.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Balon posted:

So I did a second pre-release on a lark because a different store from my Midnight Pre was running 2HG sealed. Grabbed a buddy and went for it!

We were 3-0 heading in to the final round against a woman and her boyfriend/husband.

My partner and I had two solid decks - him on UW Control and me on RG aggro/renown.

It was likely going to be our last turn - I got mana screwed hard and kept a hand of 3 Zendikar Incarnates but didn't hit 4 mana until turn 7 (and then no more from that point on).

So we head in to likely our last turn after wiping their board with Hixus. ANY control would have let them swing in for the win. Her partner says "go" and my partner and I draw our cards - and so does she!

I look at her and she panics, putting a card from her hand on top of her library and says she thought it was her turn, etc. Then asks if she can shuffle her library - I say that she can't essentially get a Free Scry and we should ask a judge how to proceed. Her partner says "whatever" and suddenly the woman looks like she's gonna bawl.

The judge, of friend of the woman in question, comes over and BEFORE HE REACHES THE TABLE she scoops, says "ok we lose", tips over her chair and runs to the washroom.

Her partner looks at me and says "Assholes, calling a judge for casual magic" and then HE walks off to report they conceded.

The judge looks super puzzled and we explain what happened, he says anyone else would have done the same thing in our shoes, etc. and that this woman is prone to overreacting.

Now I know what consensus will likely be here but I feel absolutely terrible about it all - they were casual players and now I feel like everyone at the store is going to see me as "that guy" that rules lawyers, makes women cry, etc. Should I feel as bad about this as I do? Like, I feel like an rear end in a top hat through-and-through but my partner doesn't at all. I even went to tell the T.O. that we concede instead but neither the Judge or my partner would let me.

Am I a shithead? All I wanted to know was how to handle the situation - at this level you won't even get a game loss for drawing an extra card.

they are kind of super over-reacting and while in hindsight you could have possibly diffused things by phrasing things differently, like "let's talk to the judge they know how best to fix these things" rather than going "no woman no scry" but literally flipping chairs and freaking out over a judge call is not reasonable behavior unless you were chasing her with a knife or something

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

"no woman no scry"

lmao

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Absolutely don't feel bad. The judge would have given some fix (probably have her shuffle?), maybe a warning if they even give those at prereleases and had you continue. You did everything right. It's one thing to have a casual atmosphere and try to make sure everyone enjoys their day, but calling a judge to clarify how to deal with a situation is never a shithead move.

Some people are under the impression that judges exist to hand out game losses and DQs, but they are just there to make things run smoothly, you should never feel bad about calling them for something. At worst you waste a minute of match time. If your opponent gets offended by it, that's on them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, no, you shouldn't feel bad at all. The entire reason judges exist at casual events is to handle things like that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Way late to this, but I just wanted to say condolences, Deckit. :( I'm truly sorry for your loss. Don't ever feel like it'd be weird to bring it up here; talking about it is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
Five good playables in my release event pack today.

I played:

10 Swamp
17 Forest

1 Shambling Ghoul
1 Fetid Imp
2 Deadbridge Shaman
1 Eyeblight Assassin
1 Nantuko Husk
1 Liliana, Heretical Healer
1 Rabid Bloodsucker
1 Gilt-Leaf Winnower :commissar:
1 Revenant
1 Shadows of the Past
1 Reave Soul
2 Unholy Hunger :boom:

2 Timberpack Wolf
2 Yeva's Forcemage
1 Hitchclaw Recluse
1 Pharika's Disciple
1 Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen
1 Outland Colossus :yosbutt:

1 Sword of the Animist

I went 3-1 including a bye in round 1. My blue might have been better than my green but I really wanted to see how the Elves would play. Green/Black is one of my favorite combinations so this was fun. I would have liked at least one Leaf Gilder, but this was pretty good.

Revenant did not really do anything but Gilt-Leaf Winnower is huge. Unholy Hunger is really worth it and even though I never hit the spell mastery, I won every game I drew at least one. (I lost 3 games total). I'm glad I managed to beat my last round opponent who had four Suppression Bonds and two Celestial Flares. He tried to play Hixus, Prison Warden during my end step to exile my just-got-renowned Outland Colossus. I explained how the trigger worked so he asked if we could back up to combat before damage. Sure, ok, after combat, Unholy Hunger Hixus and now I've got an untapped 6/6 blocker. Boom, gimme four packs. They yielded another Lilliana, an Erebos's Titan, Nissa's Revelation, and Evolutionary Leap. Woo.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Chill la Chill posted:

And what do you mean the judge wouldn't let you concede? Lol. I'm also half expecting the judge to have used the word hysterical.

When the judge told me I did nothing wrong and I told him we should have just conceded my partner was like "no! we win!" and the judge said "no! You did nothing wrong!" - as I mentioned he knows the woman in question and he knows the she can get "like this" sometimes. He explained to us that the game could have kept going, but she conceded and scooped - the loss was her choice.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mizzium Meddler

I think this guy has a lot of potential, especially against burn-oriented strategies. Spellskite is a known quantity, but flashing this guy in response to a 2-damage or 3-damage spell is brutal.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Niton posted:

I think this guy has a lot of potential, especially against burn-oriented strategies. Spellskite is a known quantity, but flashing this guy in response to a 2-damage or 3-damage spell is brutal.

I can't wait till someone on coverage at an SCG event has a Meddler in the sideboard against twin and steals a twin with it.

Even if its not optimal, popular, or even accepted I hope *SOMEONE* will do this at some point and I hope its on camera because it will be amazing.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Just did a prerelease and picked green, got Nissa as my promo and opened a pack foil Chandra in my pool. My red was not really deep enough despite also having that 4/5 Trampler that makes your red sources deal extra damage, but I did get 2 Kytheon's Irregulars so I made a sweet G/W deck:

8 Plains
8 Forests
Rogue's Passage

3 Leaf Gilder
Undercity Troll
Knight of the White Orchid
Topan Freeblade
Yeva's Forcemage
Citadel Castellan
Stalwart Aven
Hitchclaw Recluse
2 Orchard Spirit
Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Ampryn Tactician
Pharika's Disciple
2 Kytheon's Irregulars
Rhox Mauler
Conclave Naturalists

Might of the Masses
Mighty Leap
Knightly Valor
2 Joraga Invocation

The plan was maybe get a little damage in early, set up a strong board, and then Overrun them, twice if necessary. It worked well enough to go 3-1.

I don't think Kytheon's Irregulars ever got in for nonlethal damage, it usually either died immediately or made my opponent hold their entire team back. I only flipped Nissa once but it did contribute to winning the game. It was a super long grindy one with the second copy of Kytheon's Irregulars tapping 3 creatures a turn, and me at 5 life. Joraga Invocation was the best card in my deck by far, it won almost all of my games, as it should since that was my plan all along. Citadel Castellan did a ton of work and so did my couple of combat tricks. Having literally 0 removal kind of sucked but I had enough creatures and a good enough curve that it was enough to get there.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 13, 2015

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lets Pickle posted:

Just did a prerelease and picked green, got Nissa as my promo and opened a pack foil Chandra in my pool. My red was not really deep enough despite also having that 4/5 Trampler that makes your red sources deal extra damage, but I did get 2 Kytheon's Irregulars so I made a sweet G/W deck:

8 Plains
8 Forests
Rogue's Passage

3 Leaf Gilder
Undercity Troll
Knight of the White Orchid
Topan Freeblade
Yeva's Forcemage
Citadel Castellan
Stalwart Aven
Hitchclaw Recluse
Orchard Spirit
Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Ampryn Tactician
Pharika's Disciple
2 Kytheon's Irregulars
Rhox Mauler
Conclave Naturalists

Might of the Masses
Mighty Leap
Knightly Valor
2 Joraga Invocation

The plan was maybe get a little damage in early, set up a strong board, and then Overrun them, twice if necessary. It worked well enough to go 3-1.

I opened Nissa/Chandra as well, and kind of forced the G/R deck even though my black might have been a better choice. At any rate I flipped Chandra a couple times and she did work. Never got to play Nissa though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Balon posted:

Am I a shithead? All I wanted to know was how to handle the situation - at this level you won't even get a game loss for drawing an extra card.

I wouldn't let it bother you. Sadly lot's of players see calling a Judge as a bad thing. A softer touch might be in order in the future but you didn't do anything wrong. To be honest I'm more curious about how your local Judge handles things if people he personally knows are reacting so strongly to a simple call.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think G/W is the best color combination in the (seeded at least) sealed events for origins. Our top 8 at my LGS was 4 G/W players, 3 people playing green/x and 1 person playing a really good U/R thopter deck.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think G/W is the best color combination in the (seeded at least) sealed events for origins. Our top 8 at my LGS was 4 G/W players, 3 people playing green/x and 1 person playing a really good U/R thopter deck.

WR is also strong but might be harder to put together.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't play but watched some games today, moment of zen was watching the judge getting flooded out while your typical G/W renown weenies deck with no less than 5 copies of Celestial Flare beat him down. Just in time, he finds Shadows of the Past and manages to win just from Warleader's Helixing his opponent each turn over the next three turns.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Had a productive weekend. Went undefeated in two FNM events and received nice store credit and Path to Exile prizes. Then went 3-0-1 at the prerelease with blue and got 8 origins packs, receiving Gideon and Chandra from those. Went back again the next day and went red, got a promo Piledriver and went 2-1, losing my first game because i'm dumb and got overzealous on attacking. Ended up winning another 4 packs. And some playmats the store was giving out, so wooooo.

Now, check out my mill deck. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/full-tilt-mill It seems to be working very very well. I played 4-5 games just now and only lost one to a white aggro deck that just had creatures or a spear of heliod every single turn and my deck didn't want to give up removal. I miss dig through time, but enough other card draw is available you can get to what you need pretty quickly. Against other u/b control decks, Ashiok and Tutelage just destroy things. I got that new Demonic Tutor card, wondering if that might be a good addition, although if you tutor up a Tutelage you can't play it with the 3 black mana it gives you (assuming spell mastery). Good to call up more removal? But then you could just put in more removal, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, no, you shouldn't feel bad at all. The entire reason judges exist at casual events is to handle things like that.

Yea, feeling bummed over making someone feel bad even if they clearly had some kinda outside problem doing it is just normal empathy. It's not 'that guy' to use a judge for their entire reason for being there.

Pyronic posted:

I'm aggressively going to be trying to make WR work.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Pyronic posted:

I played WR at my prerelease after opening the red pack, and I felt kind of bad because the deck would consistently Renown-stomp over opponents, effectively ending the game by turn 4. I lost one game to Chandra's Ignition and that was pretty much it.

9 Mountain
7 Plains
1 Foundry of the Counsel

1 Anointer of Champions
1 Relic Seeker
1 Abbot of Keral Keep
1 Subterranean Scout
2 Cleric of the Forward Order
2 Ghirapur Gearcrafter
2 Scab-Clan Berserker
1 Thopter Engineer
1 Boggart Brute
1 Knight of the Pilgrim's Road
1 Vryn Wingmare
1 Firefiend Elemental
1 Skyraker Giant
1 Charging Griffin
1 Seismic Elemental

1 Enshrouding Mist (swapped this card with Titan's Strength a lot depending on who played first)
1 Grasp of the Hieromancer
1 Suppression Bonds
1 Lightning Javelin
1 Ravaging Blaze

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
This is a weird question. I won a random playmat while at the pre-release of some random card game I don't play and I'm interested in covering it up/altering it. I've got a bunch of acrylic paints from college and I guess I'm wondering if they would work on the playmat? I want to try and knock out most of the existing image before I go and do my own.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Balon posted:

So I did a second pre-release on a lark because a different store from my Midnight Pre was running 2HG sealed. Grabbed a buddy and went for it!

We were 3-0 heading in to the final round against a woman and her boyfriend/husband.

My partner and I had two solid decks - him on UW Control and me on RG aggro/renown.

It was likely going to be our last turn - I got mana screwed hard and kept a hand of 3 Zendikar Incarnates but didn't hit 4 mana until turn 7 (and then no more from that point on).

So we head in to likely our last turn after wiping their board with Hixus. ANY control would have let them swing in for the win. Her partner says "go" and my partner and I draw our cards - and so does she!

I look at her and she panics, putting a card from her hand on top of her library and says she thought it was her turn, etc. Then asks if she can shuffle her library - I say that she can't essentially get a Free Scry and we should ask a judge how to proceed. Her partner says "whatever" and suddenly the woman looks like she's gonna bawl.

The judge, of friend of the woman in question, comes over and BEFORE HE REACHES THE TABLE she scoops, says "ok we lose", tips over her chair and runs to the washroom.

Her partner looks at me and says "Assholes, calling a judge for casual magic" and then HE walks off to report they conceded.

The judge looks super puzzled and we explain what happened, he says anyone else would have done the same thing in our shoes, etc. and that this woman is prone to overreacting.

Now I know what consensus will likely be here but I feel absolutely terrible about it all - they were casual players and now I feel like everyone at the store is going to see me as "that guy" that rules lawyers, makes women cry, etc. Should I feel as bad about this as I do? Like, I feel like an rear end in a top hat through-and-through but my partner doesn't at all. I even went to tell the T.O. that we concede instead but neither the Judge or my partner would let me.

No. You did the right thing and called a judge over a major play infringement. The judge even told you as such.

You even told hey "This is why I don't think you can shuffle, however we can ask a judge." you weren't demanding that she concede the game; or saying she needs to take a game loss now. You just said before you continue play you want to ask a judge on how to proceed. You and your mate spent money entering that tourney, and therefore you do have a vested interest in it; if she over reacted that isn't your problem.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Some people are under the impression that judges exist to hand out game losses and DQs, but they are just there to make things run smoothly, you should never feel bad about calling them for something. At worst you waste a minute of match time. If your opponent gets offended by it, that's on them.

This is so true. People at my LGS for aaaaages really hated the idea of someone asking for a judge; it was considered to be correct if you got caught out on a issue like drawing an extra card that you conceded the game or if it was something early on you agreed a gentlemen agreement to fix it. It took a year or so of the owner hamming it into people, once we started getting really big numbers of new players and it wasn't just a gentlemen agreement, that judges are there to help.

Had I kept playing locally I think I would liked to have started judging. I was already the "Hey Gridlocked, how does this new mechanic work?" guy for the judge during the pre-release and release day things; because I was the guy who looked up the interactions.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I went W/R and went 3-1, only dropping the first round to some serious flood-
8 plains
7 mountain
1 Battlefield Forge
1 Rogue's Passage

Creatures:
1 Hangarback Walker
1 Consul's Lieutenant
1 Runed Servitor
1 Stalwart Aven
1 Knight of the Pilgrim's Road
1 Ghirapur Gearcrafter
1 Thopter Engineer
1 Iroas's Champion
1 Charging Griffin
1 Guardian Automaton
1 War Oracle
1 Firefiend Elemental
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Kytheon's Irregulars
1 Heavy Infantry
1 Prickleboar
1 Sentinel of the eternal watch

Spells:
1 Fiery Impulse
1 Titan's Strength
1 Swift Reckoning
1 Mighty leap
1 Lightning Javelin
1 Tragic Arrogance

Tragic Arrogance is absolutely filthy and destroyed my opponent's board every time I cast it, especially due to its interaction with artifact creatures. I would be left with my best creature+ a thopter token, while my opponents would be stuck with only a thopter token.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oraculum Animi posted:

This is a weird question. I won a random playmat while at the pre-release of some random card game I don't play and I'm interested in covering it up/altering it. I've got a bunch of acrylic paints from college and I guess I'm wondering if they would work on the playmat? I want to try and knock out most of the existing image before I go and do my own.

It's going to crack iirc. You'll want to only use pens. What game?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

It's going to crack iirc. You'll want to only use pens. What game?

Vanguard? What about fabric paint? I'm less concerned with ruining the mat (since I got it for free and won't play with it unaltered) and more about not spending money on something that won't work.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Can stores sell singles from Origins before the release date? Like, from prereleases?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dohaeris posted:

Can stores sell singles from Origins before the release date? Like, from prereleases?

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oraculum Animi posted:

Vanguard? What about fabric paint? I'm less concerned with ruining the mat (since I got it for free and won't play with it unaltered) and more about not spending money on something that won't work.

Sorry never tried fabric paint. I dunno the diff or if an additional medium is what's needed. I'm just using my experience on painting on other fabrics with acrylic and I don't know if you could even heat set it or anything cuz of the rubber. Also I was more worried that you'd ruin a sweet force of will or weiß Schwartz playmat.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Niton posted:

Not that it counts as evidence for standard, but mizzium meddler does fantastic work in limited. The best plays of my prerelease involve him. One game I cast him to retarget a disperse, returning him to my hand so that I could nab an anchor to the aether a few turns later, so I could draw and cast him a third time. He also ate several removal spells throughout the event.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dohaeris posted:

No, they're not, and doing so will get them on Wizard's poo poo list if they catch wind of it. Note how TCGPlayer and Starcity Games will only take pre-orders until the actual release date, at which time they'll ship.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. I feel the pain of all you who have horrible places to play prereleases at. I travelled to duluth this weekend and the prize structure was so bad. Six packs for undefeated. Two packs for a two and two performance. I understand casuals like to get something but it's not so hot to lose three matches in four prereleases and only end up with a pittance. My big win was trading a promo nissa for a cryptic command straight up. The rest of my pulls were pretty bad. But I had fun and got in some reps for team sealed at .gp Detroit

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Topan Freeblade should be an uncommon. So many games this weekend sitting across from t2 Freeblade while I am on the draw. Still went 3-1, 2-2, 2-2 (with a split that paid out just under what 3-1 would have been, and 3-1. Got a nissa, promo Lilliana, 3 piledrivers (1 pack foil), two days undoing, 2 Archangels, a foil demonic pact, and a bellower. 20 packs will be waiting for me next week.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just watched one of Jans draft from last night:

He's got infinite Zealous Conscripts with Kiki-Jiki, Scroll Rack, Gaia's Cradle and Staff of Dominance in play. He's got lethal on board with Conscript copies and infinite mana with Gaia's Cradle. His oppoent is trying to time him out but stalling in hopes he walks away and he can pass back priority with out him noticing; so when he gets priority back he looks at his board state and goes "gently caress this guy, I'm gonna use staff to draw cards till I get Mindslaver and slave him in the finals." That's what I call pay back.

Jan is truly the master of the cube.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Oraculum Animi posted:

Could we get a picture of said playmat? I am way too curious for my own good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Why bother covering it up when you can just buy a blank white playmat for $10 off Amazon?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Balon posted:

I'm late to the party, but that's such a terrible attitude when it comes to judges. You didn't call a judge on anyone, and it's a tournament, that's why we're there. A mistake happened, and it's our job to fix it. Hell, at Regular, there's not even any actual penalties, you either get told "Yeah it's no biggie, just <whatever fix is appropriate>" for most things, or you get DQed for the actually bad stuff (cheating, offensive behaviour etc).

Their reaction was weird, I can understand people having anxiety and whatnot, but, again, that's what we're there for, to fix things, and to help players. We're not grand arbiters of punishments, or like delivering cruel ultimatums on players who just came to play a game. Even in higher-level play, we're there to handle infractions, not punish people. Much more so at FNM-like events, where the focus is on casual fun rather than strict rules enforcement.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
so do judges call judges on themselves when their opponent doesn't know how rules work or do they flash their judge promos like badges e.g. "See this promo Piledriver? It means that when I say you cannot resolve a Snapcaster without passing priority, I am not making that poo poo up!"

asking for a friend

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's commonly known that when you play Albertan Death Magic when you lose a Judge call, you die

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is awesome.

But we need Duel Deck: Guay vs Nielson.

Two awesome decks with new art form them for all cards. PAY THE LADIES WIZARDS!!!!

Can we all just acknowledge that Rebecca Guay doesn't want to do Magic art any more and just let it go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

She can go her own Guay

• Locked thread