Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kimbo305 posted:

At a light, this father was crossing with his 6/7 year-old son. The father was pointing at this cherry BMW 3.0 CS, saying, "I had one just like it, a 1974 3.0 CS... son? Look!"
And the kid wasn't paying attention at all :smith:

Sad indeed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

To be fair to the kid, I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 16 or so. My dad used to tell me about his 42 Ford he sold to buy me a bedroom, take me offroading in his old Bronco etc. and it was all lost on me. My mom tried to get me interested in my neighbor's 60s fastback Mustang and I saw it as old and smelly. I really thought of cars as appliances, or videogame super-things until I got my first one (1997 Seville SLS) and tried flooring that big old dumb V8 on a long, wide interchange at night. Once it hit 110 and I got scared I was hooked.

AI confessions....

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Conceptually I understand, and yet, that's so weird to me. My mom (to her chagrin) claims that my second word was car. I've never not remembered wanting something fast, low and probably a bit loud.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you're put off owning amazing cars because they are more complex than a Volvo 240.... you might be an AI poster (outrageous laugh track)

I actually enjoy working on my own cars thank you very much.

More complicated != better

That said, I was having a similar discussion with my dad a while back about how I'm not really engaged by most newer cars (well, anything under $100k, hypercars are awesome). I've decided that as I get older and have more money, I'll stick to buying better examples of old cars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 20 or so. Now I love them so much I'm spending stacks on stacks on stacks on avatars for a movie that worships the car in hope that my love can spread to those over the internet.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

CA crossover, but I've been shopping bikes lately after I sold mine and I rode a V4 Aprilia Tuono today. I am a generally risk-averse sensible person... I care deeply about things like Wise Purchases, Cost-of-Parts, Probability of Police Attention, etc. Then I rode this stupid bike under an overpass at 6000rpm in 1st and the sound nearly brought me to orgasm (that's a stock can, mine had an Akra). The drat thing will do like 90 in 1st and I was on side streets/test riding someone else's bike, but when I hit 2nd with gas it tried to get out from underneath me and I loved it.

I didn't buy it yet because I'll:homebrew:probably:homebrew:lose:homebrew:my:homebrew:license:homebrew: but I can't stop thinking about it

hel;p

quote:

Song of the Sausage Creature
by Hunter S. Thompson

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.

Everybody has fast motorcycles these days. Some people go 150 miles an hour on two-lane blacktop roads, but not often. There are too many oncoming trucks and too many radar cops and too many stupid animals in the way. You have to be a little crazy to ride these super-torque high-speed crotch rockets anywhere except a racetrack - and even there, they will scare the whimpering poo poo out of you... There is, after all, not a pig's eye worth of difference between going head-on into a Peterbilt or sideways into the bleachers. On some days you get what you want, and on others, you get what you need.

When Cycle World called me to ask if I would road-test the new Harley Road King, I got uppity and said I'd rather have a Ducati superbike. It seemed like a chic decision at the time, and my friends on the superbike circuit got very excited. "Hot drat," they said. "We will take it to the track and blow the bastards away."

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

The Cafe Racer is a different breed, and we have our own situations. Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5000-foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn downhill ess-turn is quite another.

But we like it. A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into what somebody told him was the ugliest and tightest decreasing-radius turn since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew.

Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures... I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions.

I am not without scars on my brain and my body, but I can live with them. I still feel a shudder in my spine every time I see a picture of a Vincent Black Shadow, or when I walk into a public restroom and hear crippled men whispering about the terrifying Kawasaki Triple... I have visions of compound femur-fractures and large black men in white hospital suits holding me down on a gurney while a nurse called "Bess" sews the flaps of my scalp together with a stitching drill.

Ho, ho. Thank God for these flashbacks. The brain is such a wonderful instrument (until God sinks his teeth into it). Some people hear Tiny Tim singing when they go under, and some others hear the song of the Sausage Creature.

When the Ducati turned up in my driveway, nobody knew what to do with it. I was in New York, covering a polo tournament, and people had threatened my life. My lawyer said I should give myself up and enroll in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Other people said it had something to do with the polo crowd.

The motorcycle business was the last straw. It had to be the work of my enemies, or people who wanted to hurt me. It was the vilest kind of bait, and they knew I would go for it.

Of course. You want to cripple the bastard? Send him a 130-mph cafe-racer. And include some license plates, he'll think it's a streetbike. He's queer for anything fast.

Which is true. I have been a connoisseur of fast motorcycles all my life. I bought a brand-new 650 BSA Lightning when it was billed as "the fastest motorcycle ever tested by Hot Rod magazine." I have ridden a 500-pound Vincent through traffic on the Ventura Freeway with burning oil on my legs and run the Kawa 750 Triple through Beverly Hills at night with a head full of acid... I have ridden with Sonny Barger and smoked weed in biker bars with Jack Nicholson, Grace Slick, Ron Zigler and my infamous old friend, Ken Kesey, a legendary Cafe Racer.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....

So when I got back from New York and found a fiery red rocket-style bike in my garage, I realized I was back in the road-testing business.

The brand-new Ducati 900 Campione del Mundo Desmodue Supersport double-barreled magnum Cafe Racer filled me with feelings of lust every time I looked at it. Others felt the same way. My garage quickly became a magnet for drooling superbike groupies. They quarreled and bitched at each other about who would be the first to help me evaluate my new toy... And I did, of course, need a certain spectrum of opinions, besides my own, to properly judge this motorcycle. The Woody Creek Perverse Environmental Testing Facility is a long way from Daytona or even top-fuel challenge-sprints on the Pacific Coast Highway, where teams of big-bore Kawasakis and Yamahas are said to race head-on against each other in death-defying games of "chicken" at 100 miles an hour....

No. Not everybody who buys a high-dollar torque-brute yearns to go out in a ball of fire on a public street in L.A. Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it... For that we need Fine Machinery.

Which we had - no doubt about that. The Ducati people in New Jersey had opted, for some reasons of their own, to send me the 900ss-sp for testing - rather than their 916 crazy-fast, state-of-the-art superbike track-racer. It was far too fast, they said - and prohibitively expensive - to farm out for testing to a gang of half-mad Colorado cowboys who think they're world-class Cafe Racers.

The Ducati 900 is a finely engineered machine. My neighbors called it beautiful and admired its racing lines. The nasty little bugger looked like it was going 90 miles an hour when it was standing still in my garage.

Taking it on the road, though, was a genuinely terrifying experience. I had no sense of speed until I was going 90 and coming up fast on a bunch of pickup trucks going into a wet curve along the river. I went for both brakes, but only the front one worked, and I almost went end over end. I was out of control staring at the tailpipe of a U.S. Mail truck, still stabbing frantically at my rear brake pedal, which I just couldn't find... I am too tall for these new-age roadracers; they are not built for any rider taller than five-nine, and the rearset brake pedal was not where I thought it would be. Mid-size Italian pimps who like to race from one cafe to another on the boulevards of Rome in a flat-line prone position might like this, but I do not.

I was hunched over the tank like a person diving into a pool that got emptied yesterday. Whacko! Bashed on the concrete bottom, flesh ripped off, a Sausage Creature with no teeth, hosed-up for the rest of its life.

We all love Torque, and some of us have taken it straight over the high side from time to time - and there is always Pain in that... But there is also Fun, the deadly element, and Fun is what you get when you screw this monster on. BOOM! Instant take-off, no screeching or squawking around like a fool with your teeth clamping down on our tongue and your mind completely empty of everything but fear.

No. This bugger digs right in and shoots you straight down the pipe, for good or ill.

On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....

And that's when it got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

I never got to sixth gear, and I didn't get deep into fifth. This is a shameful admission for a full-bore Cafe Racer, but let me tell you something, old sport: This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

When aimed in the right direction at high speed, though, it has unnatural capabilities. This I unwittingly discovered as I made my approach to a sharp turn across some railroad tracks, saw that I was going way too fast and that my only chance was to veer right and screw it on totally, in a desperate attempt to leapfrog the curve by going airborne.

It was a bold and reckless move, but it was necessary. And it worked: I felt like Evel Knievel as I soared across the tracks with the rain in my eyes and my jaws clamped together in fear. I tried to spit down on the tracks as I passed them, but my mouth was too dry... I landed hard on the edge of the road and lost my grip for a moment as the Ducati began fishtailing crazily into oncoming traffic. For two or three seconds I came face to face with the Sausage Creature....

But somehow the brute straightened out. I passed a schoolbus on the right and got the bike under control long enough to gear down and pull off into an abandoned gravel driveway where I stopped and turned off the engine. My hands had seized up like claws and the rest of my body was numb. I felt nauseous and I cried for my mama, but nobody heard, then I went into a trance for 30 or 40 seconds until I was finally able to light a cigarette and calm down enough to ride home. I was too hysterical to shift gears, so I went the whole way in first at 40 miles an hour.

Whoops! What am I saying? Tall stories, ho, ho... We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever's funny. We poo poo on the chests of the Weird....

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

The emergence of the superbike has heightened this equation drastically. Motorcycle technology has made such a great leap forward. Take the Ducati. You want optimum cruising speed on this bugger? Try 90mph in fifth at 5500 rpm - and just then, you see a bull moose in the middle of the road. WHACKO. Meet the Sausage Creature.

Or maybe not: The Ducati 900 is so finely engineered and balanced and torqued that you *can* do 90 mph in fifth through a 35-mph zone and get away with it. The bike is not just fast - it is *extremely* quick and responsive, and it *will* do amazing things... It is like riding a Vincent Black Shadow, which would outrun an F-86 jet fighter on the take-off runway, but at the end, the F-86 would go airborne and the Vincent would not, and there was no point in trying to turn it. WHAMO! The Sausage Creature strikes again.

There is a fundamental difference, however, between the old Vincents and the new breed of superbikes. If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society. The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time.

It was impossible. But so was my terrifying sideways leap across the railroad tracks on the 900sp. The bike did it easily with the grace of a fleeing tomcat. The landing was so easy I remember thinking, goddamnit, if I had screwed it on a little more I could have gone a lot farther.

Maybe this is the new Cafe Racer macho. My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

That is the attitude of the new-age superbike freak, and I am one of them. On some days they are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The Vincent just killed you a lot faster than a superbike will. A fool couldn't ride the Vincent Black Shadow more than once, but a fool can ride a Ducati 900 many times, and it will always be a bloodcurdling kind of fun. That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 20 or so. Now I love them so much I'm spending stacks on stacks on stacks on avatars for a movie that worships the car in hope that my love can spread to those over the internet.

I love your new avatar.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Thats a good title, i like that title. I also like that Hunter S. Tompson piece. It makes me wish I wasn't a big fat goon that would look completely out of place on a cafe racer.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Song of the sausage creature is awesome. I've read it so many times but it never fails to please me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

[combusts internally]

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I've always enjoyed things that move or have some mechanism in them. Be cars, small engines, etc... If I can make it move, I'm interested.
Lego's were my first foray and I used to have tons of Lego technics (the bricks with holes) and was always making some kind of contraption out of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Geirskogul posted:

What I find weird when you really get a hobby as an adult is that you have very different before and after levels of detail in your recall.
I was pretty into cars as a kid, but not rabidly so. My mom's boss drove a red 1st gen Scirocco, but I always remembered it as an Audi. It was years before I could positively peg it as a Scirocco and not a Quattro of some kind.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

The Sausage Creature

You bastard! You posted that right while I was watching this RCR. Stop enabling goddamnit; I am turning 30 in a few months and some infernal cosmic clock tells me I need to be Responsible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhlIKKJzkg seems to be an accurate review of the V4 Tuono

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I didn't care about cars a whole lot as a kid. My dad helped me work on my first car a lot, and I started changing my own oil when I had my second car. I got tired of waiting two hours for a shop to do oil + tire rotation, so I started doing it myself. Nothing ever broke down, really, so I didn't really get into them any further until I started dating my wife and married into her family. Her brothers are a couple of gearheads and have sucked me into this. I still don't know a whole heck of a lot, but I tend to fix my own stuff either on my own or with their help (and help them fix theirs).

That being said, I have always loved fast and loud cars, though I might not have grasped what they were. Love the way these engines sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbKa3ipCcY&t=68s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJyYFpTplg

Fake E: I've spent like ten minutes now looking at various videos of 454s and 429s in boats and cars. I love the way these engines sound.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bajaha posted:

I'll try not to, I hope. I've seen others driving on ticking time bombs that have pre-2000's date codes. Always makes me go wtf as to how they haven't blown out yet.

The minimum I need them to last is for the drive to the shop for a safety and back. Thinking of going with the cheap favorite winter tire, firestone winterforce, at least 205/70R15 is a cheap size.

E: also thinking rubber survives the cooler climate in the frozen north than the scorching hellscape of Nevada/Arizona. We get to deal with rust, not brittle and broken plastics/rubber

It's storage that kills tires. I tried to run 8 year old Nokians once, they'd never been mounted and had been in a room temperature warehouse since manufacture. A month in I got a sidewall egg, managed to track another NOS of the same tire down and 3 weeks later 2 of them were spitting tread belt cords out of the shoulder.
I've seen '70s cars on factory rubber that are doing fine, but they all get driven at least somewhat regularly. Still kinda sketchy though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I've always enjoyed things that move or have some mechanism in them. Be cars, small engines, etc... If I can make it move, I'm interested.
Lego's were my first foray and I used to have tons of Lego technics (the bricks with holes) and was always making some kind of contraption out of it.

This is me too. All I ever wanted for birthdays or christmas were Lego. I think I got Lego for gifts well into my teens. I still have my entire collection, unfortunately my daughter showed nearly zero interest.

I helped my dad R&R a head at the age of 12, and was changing the oil by myself in the family Volvo at age 14. Voluntarily. Like "can I change the oil dad? Please?" And I was the only kid on the block with a quiet bicycle, because I understood how to dial in bearings for zero play but zero backlash, and I understood that moving parts need lube. Like when I would jump a curb, the only sound it made hitting the ground was from the tires. I was very proud of that.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Well. I think I'm quitting my job! 6 days on the clock has finally burned through any sort of drive I had for this job, but our new supervisor is an uppity douche who gets off on sending around asinine memos about "Facebook etiquette" and telling us to "get over" having so many in service trainings after our overnight shifts and how "that's life" when we get denied more benefits or pay for more work and less time with our families.

I haven't even formally quit yet and I'm already second and third guessing myself.

But it's so..TOXIC here..

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You could always do what I did for a few weeks before work transferred me to a new location and regularly eat a half pound of roast garlic as a snack the night before work and go in guns hot and ready to rock.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

14 INCH SLIT posted:

You could always do what I did for a few weeks before work transferred me to a new location and regularly eat a half pound of roast garlic as a snack the night before work and go in guns hot and ready to rock.

I don't really work with any employees. It's a home for mentally ill clients. I poop when I wanna poop and all I could do to the ungrateful clients here would probably get me arrested instead of just fired.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Went to see the new house again over the weekend to see progress and get final measurements to book carpet fitters.

Sod all progress outside :(
Inside was 99.99% done though and looks great :)

Then the builder said it might take a few weeks more, but couldn't justify why. We need to be in asap to get the kids settled into a new area before the eldest starts his new school. Had a slight argument, got a promise of a weekly progress report by email, I plan to chase him every couple of days and I'm keeping tabs on everything he says is an issue.

I do project management at work and it hurts to see this and not be able to drive it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo my foremn is more of a degenerate than me. No wonder we get along.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

QuarkMartial posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbKa3ipCcY&t=68s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXJyYFpTplg

Fake E: I've spent like ten minutes now looking at various videos of 454s and 429s in boats and cars. I love the way these engines sound.

Watching that thing rock back and forth from the torque :perfect:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Went to see the new house again over the weekend to see progress and get final measurements to book carpet fitters.

Sod all progress outside :(
Inside was 99.99% done though and looks great :)

Then the builder said it might take a few weeks more, but couldn't justify why. We need to be in asap to get the kids settled into a new area before the eldest starts his new school. Had a slight argument, got a promise of a weekly progress report by email, I plan to chase him every couple of days and I'm keeping tabs on everything he says is an issue.

I do project management at work and it hurts to see this and not be able to drive it.

Construction timescales are always complete toss. We have work going on at work at the moment, timescale was 12 months from February last year. They're still going now... Rather than go with the higher bid that would actually have poo poo done by now, work decided to take the word of a construction company (ahahaha) that said they could make it happen within the timescale and cheaper than everyone else. So we're what, 5 months overrun and no doubt a few million or so over budget? Noice.

Hopefully they sort their poo poo out and get you in, the waiting is the loving worst. But make sure they have everything actually finished as working around workmen coming in and loving with things and halfarsing them for months is no fun.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Thats a good title, i like that title. I also like that Hunter S. Tompson piece. It makes me wish I wasn't a big fat goon that would look completely out of place on a cafe racer.

poo poo, now that I'm back on real (read: not Guantanamo) internet for awhile, I can see people's avatars and I can actually get on the site with a web browser instead of the mobile app, and I realize that I'm completely unoriginal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

Date code was for 03, so drat old, no idea how they survived this far.
They only have to last a few months before winter, getting proper winters for it, but in the mean time I needed the cheapest tires that'll pass a safety inspection. They don't check dates, only tread depth and if they're dry rotted which the (much newer) tires currently on it are.
Just keep an eye on them and you should be ok but replace them when possible. I didn't realize the tires on the E30 were 04 date code until after putting on 500 miles of mountain driving. It explained why they didn't stick like expected. I did feel like a complete idiot when it was pointed out to me.

CA crossover, but I've been shopping bikes lately after I sold mine and I rode a V4 Aprilia Tuono today.

Buy it, those things are great. I mean it's an Aprilia so it will have fun :italy: issues but other than that...

I had a little interest in cars growing up but didn't become hooked until I started driving and doing driving schools. Once I had been on the track the downward spiral began and there was no looking back.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo, now that I'm back on real (read: not Guantanamo) internet for awhile, I can see people's avatars and I can actually get on the site with a web browser instead of the mobile app, and I realize that I'm completely unoriginal.

"Out here, everything has a Fury Road avatar."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

gileadexile posted:

I don't really work with any employees. It's a home for mentally ill clients. I poop when I wanna poop and all I could do to the ungrateful clients here would probably get me arrested instead of just fired.

Every business is a home for mentally ill clients.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Every business is a home for mentally ill clients.

True that. My unaffectionate nickname for work is "Shady Acres Retirement Home"

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy it, those things are great. I mean it's an Aprilia so it will have fun :italy: issues but other than that...

Yeah, I might. The older european gent who owns it claims to have owned 60+ bikes in his 50 years of riding, and says "Aprilia is Honda of Europe! Extremely reliable... My Ducatis? Break! Japanese bikes *frowns, waves hand dismissively* no soul! I had Kawasaki, it made me mad to see it! You will want to see this in garage every morning! The harder you ride it, the better it likes it! It is like woman! Too fast for me now, I am old. I want a 1190 Enduro"

He was pretty cool.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Given we're both ripping off a terrible meme in the first place, I think we're fine. I'm ok with sharing my horribly unoriginal idea with someone else. :toot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nodoze posted:

Between using a jeep or an rx8 for deliveries I'd rather blow my brains out

I'd go with the jeep TBH, the engine doesn't give a poo poo what you do about it and has all the torques for stop and go / city driving. Sorry about the fuel bill though.

Bajaha posted:

Date code was for 03, so drat old, no idea how they survived this far.
They only have to last a few months before winter, getting proper winters for it, but in the mean time I needed the cheapest tires that'll pass a safety inspection. They don't check dates, only tread depth and if they're dry rotted which the (much newer) tires currently on it are.

Hope they don't turn pear shaped like my old tires did. Also look forward to hockey puck levels of traction.

To be fair to the kid, I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 16 or so. My dad used to tell me about his 42 Ford he sold to buy me a bedroom, take me offroading in his old Bronco etc. and it was all lost on me. My mom tried to get me interested in my neighbor's 60s fastback Mustang and I saw it as old and smelly. I really thought of cars as appliances, or videogame super-things until I got my first one (1997 Seville SLS) and tried flooring that big old dumb V8 on a long, wide interchange at night. Once it hit 110 and I got scared I was hooked.

AI confessions....

I spent my childhood helping my dad bleed the brakes and change the oil and such on our series of festering crapcans, and didn't care about cars at all. Got a job at a quicklube in high school / early college, barely knew my head from my rear end but became the best topside tech at the store by the time I left. Didn't get my license till halfway through college, didn't care about manuals. My requirements for my first car were "is under $3k, automatic, 4x4, boxy as gently caress" so I was looking at second gen Broncos, K5 Blazers, and YJs. Really glad I ended up buying an XJ instead of any of those, just wish it hadn't been that one.

Only got into the manual thing after picking up the 5 ton and learning to drive stick in it... and goddamnit how did I end up with seven and three halves cars, only 6 and 3 halves of which have actually made it home? My yard looks like sanford and sons.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:heritage:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a spare tire from 1993 in my Mercedes. I should replace it, but I keep thinking maybe it'll be valuable to sell it with "original spare" someday. Haha yeah right.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CharlesM posted:

I have a spare tire from 1993 in my Mercedes. I should replace it, but I keep thinking maybe it'll be valuable to sell it with "original spare" someday. Haha yeah right.
The E30 and the E28 both have their original spares. Looks like the E28 was used a couple times but the one in the E30 looks brand new. I sure as hell wouldn't use them for anything more than rolling it onto a rollback.

We've decided no more Chump Car so now they are in a big rush to modify the car to the limits of WRL before the race in two weeks. No way this is going to come back and bite us in the rear end... Will be nice to have coilovers, camber plates and a reasonable lock-to-lock steering rack in the car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Working at one of the oldest buildings around in my city. The horror
Oh the horror. Went into the attic to see a string of temporary/permanent lights with stripped wires shoved into a socket. :stare:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
They said I can buy the Miata. :swoon:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

They said I can buy the Miata. :swoon:

Hello and welcome to black NA8 club here is your membership booklOH SWEET JESUS THE SWIRLS

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hello and welcome to black NA8 club here is your membership booklOH SWEET JESUS THE SWIRLS

I owned a black 1995 with the popular options package from 2010 to 2012. This one is much nicer though. My last one was kind of a rusty turd.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Please tell me you've still got (and plan to continure using) those plates. :perfect:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Please tell me you've still got (and plan to continure using) those plates. :perfect:

I do still have the plates, but I have to register them at the DMV before I can put them back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Way late to the party buuuuuut I finally watched Fury Road. Holy poo poo it was amazing. :stare::fh:

• Locked thread