Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Freaky people in here trying to get their blocks off, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Morter posted:

Freaky people in here trying to get their blocks off, I swear.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I checked out the store page for that Lego game and I saw a lot of stiff crotches.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
How much less than 15 million dollar did line of defense cost derek smart is what I want to know.Also another thing I want to know is what is Line of Defense.Not that I want to know these things enough to actually ask Derek Smart them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Isn't Line of Defense a game akin to Planetside where it's all PvP?

Because the most players that have actually been in the game is, like, 4.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Okay I finally 100%'d Talos Principle and I just have to rave about how loving good this game is. It's honestly one of the best plots in a game ever which is crazy since its a puzzle-game. Really the text and writing is just so loving good, creepy, and really deeply philosophical that it had me really thinking about philosophy, humanity and consciouceness. Like there's computer terminals that talk to you and I would sit there for a good awhile actually thinking about the responses. Crazy. It's really a work of art in the truest sense in terms of making you feel and evoking emotional responses from you. If you picked it up last sale and haven't played it, go do it now. If you haven't, definitely get it next time it comes around because it's that loving good..

I don't think there's been a game quite like it.

Now admittingly I actually tried playing it once for like 15 minutes, didn't quite grab me but tried again and I was hooked. Definitely at least get through the first level or so and then it sinks it's claws into you and won't let go until you 100% it because you're just so god drat curious about everything.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
As much as Mr. Smart doesn't think, Alagnon is wow almost copy/pasted. The only difference is the eve online stats.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ah Map posted:

How much less than 15 million dollar did line of defense cost derek smart is what I want to know.Also another thing I want to know is what is Line of Defense.Not that I want to know these things enough to actually ask Derek Smart them.
14 and a half million dollars.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I took the plunge and bought a key for Arkham Knight and the game works smooth as butter with everything on max. Also goddamn this feels like the best Batman game yet, combat and the batmobile own hard in this one, it just feels so satisfying to play this game and the graphics are top notch.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Where did you buy it if Warner Bros pulled it from sale?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Lambeth posted:

Where did you buy it if Warner Bros pulled it from sale?

I think it was only pulled from the Steam storefront. Other websites might still have keys, and I'm willing to bet there were a handful of GPU packins.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I still can't tell if I like Red Solstice. After playing a couple of single player missions, I decided to play Survival by myself and was enjoying it for the first five minutes. It plays like DoW2 where you control a squad of dudes to tag along and kick rear end

And then some 10,000 HP behemoth came and wrecked my entire squad before I activated anything.

Wtf? :(

I played it a little over 2 hours (because the pacing is so loving slow) and it's not a bad game but I can't ell if it's worth 20 bucks...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

WB pulled it from direct Steam distribution but you can buy a key from third party sites and they'll activate on Steam just fine. Also I don't recommend doing it as for many people the game is technically a mess, I took a risk and it turned out that on my machine it's just fine but this doesn't have to be the case with other people.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Make sure to leave your post-game impression somewhere, Palpek. Also, what kind of rig do you have?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

i7 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 980
500 GB SSD

It's the first time I've seen options like interactive smoke as well and it's pretty nice when you jump out of the Batmobile while it's still speeding and when you drop to the street the smoke from the tires moves around Batman.Also this is the most realistic rain I've seen in a game yet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Palpek posted:

i7 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 980
500 GB SSD

It's the first time I've seen options like interactive smoke as well and it's pretty nice when you jump out of the Batmobile while it's still speeding and when you drop to the street the smoke from the tires moves around Batman.Also this is the most realistic rain I've seen in a game yet.

That's because the rain effects had to be patched in. Not even joking, it looked worse than the console versions until the first patch hit.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's because the rain effects had to be patched in. Not even joking, it looked worse than the console versions until the first patch hit.

Well, that and ambient occlusion.
-
Morter, your posts made me remove that game from my wishlist.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

Morter, your posts made me remove that game from my wishlist.

Aww, I didn't mean to dissuade anyone, in fact I'm hoping with someone who's played the game to sort of guide me on how to play the game outside of the single player campaign. There's a lot to this game, and if you like Squad based action RTS then you might really like this game, but I myself am a bit lost.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Batman Arkham Knight port impressions for anyone who cares:

I haven't had too bad an experience with Arkham Knight, though I've had my share of problems which could well be more off-putting for other people. For one, I've had to lock the game to 30fps at 1080p (since running at 60 is an exercise in futility), and had to force this using a program external to the game rather than the built-in one, since the game's own framepacing has issues, causing stutter and stuff. Nvidia's adaptive half-rate v-sync seems to be working well for this. There's some fairly bad texture pop-in, though nothing I can't ignore, and I believe this is much less of an issue if you install to an SSD (which I would've done if the game weren't so massive). Gameworks features and PhysX cause loads of dips below 30, so I don't bother with them. As for odd bugs, I've run into one or two, but only one problem that's major. My main problem is that the game suffers from horrendous memory leaks that cause it to freeze up and crash if you've been playing for more than two hours or so (probably more if you've got more RAM and VRAM), and often crashes in the same manner if I receive a Steam message whilst in-game. I usually only play for an hour or so at a time, but this has been really irritating. Others have had awful problems with the Batmobile, but I haven't noticed any so long as I keep the game locked to 30.

If you've been holding off on playing the game, and don't mind playing at 30, plus keeping your sessions short to avoid memory leaks, it's honestly not too bad. Of course, I'd much rather have a better port, and wouldn't really recommend the game in the state it's currently in, but if you're curious and don't mind dealing with the above issues, it's reasonably playable. Bear in mind that others with different setups to mine have had a whole litany of issues I've never run into though, so it's nonetheless a risk.

My setup:
i5 3570 @ 3.4Ghz
8GB RAM
GTX 970 (Used to run the game on an HD 7950 before I replaced my card, and it ran well enough on that, too - i.e. could hold 30fps)

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know how to reset your discovery queue so that games you put on 'Not Interested' show up again?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Xaris posted:

Okay I finally 100%'d Talos Principle and I just have to rave about how loving good this game is. (...) Definitely at least get through the first level or so and then it sinks it's claws into you and won't let go until you 100% it because you're just so god drat curious about everything.

I'm really fuckin' bad at first-person puzzle platformers but I keep hearing great things about this game. How will I fare if I just want to play it for the experience of it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Morter posted:

I still can't tell if I like Red Solstice. After playing a couple of single player missions, I decided to play Survival by myself and was enjoying it for the first five minutes. It plays like DoW2 where you control a squad of dudes to tag along and kick rear end

And then some 10,000 HP behemoth came and wrecked my entire squad before I activated anything.

You need to spend those first few minutes moving fast. Pick up everything you can. Activate turrets and gravitate towards objectives. When you see anything big in coming, establish a chokepoint, drop satchels, turrets, chain-explosives, and get ready to unload with every offensive power you've got. Some of the bigger ones regenerate so you'll need to alpha-strike them hard. The burrowing crab-thing especially, as when it's low on health (under 1000) it'll hide, regenerate and come back. Just as it's starting to burrow is when you want to dump 2-3 grenades on it simultaneously.

Your first couple of rounds you won't have much in the way of heavy artillery - the real boss-buster classes are unlocked before too long though.

Also, if you find an Emergency Evac item, feel free to use it if things get rough. Surviving a partial mission is often better than dying.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm really fuckin' bad at first-person puzzle platformers but I keep hearing great things about this game. How will I fare if I just want to play it for the experience of it?

There's no platforming, so you're won't have to worry about that. As for the puzzles, the main ones aren't too rough, although there's a whole mess of hidden stars which are often unlocked through meta-gaming puzzles within puzzles. It's a great game though. Really well written, good-looking and smart.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Are you bad at the puzzling or the platforming? In Talos if you look down at a nearby platform the game will pop up a little "jump here" prompt, and autotrajectorize you onto that spot if you tap the jump button. You really only need fancy platforming for some stars or to do a certain trick with the tower.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot: There's a pretty big Talos Principle demo on Steam. Has a nice little subset of puzzles.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Palpek posted:

i7 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 980
500 GB SSD

The PC version is straight up weird because people with similar builds will just stutter like a mess, crash constantly or just not be able to play at a reasonable framerate. Also depends on personal tastes but if you forked out for a 980 or something and you can't brute force the game then that's messed up. Also it's just wildly inconsistent how the game works on certain hardware setups. It sucks is what it is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Male Man posted:

Are you bad at the puzzling or the platforming? In Talos if you look down at a nearby platform the game will pop up a little "jump here" prompt, and autotrajectorize you onto that spot if you tap the jump button. You really only need fancy platforming for some stars or to do a certain trick with the tower.

The platforming, not the puzzling, so that sounds tailor-made. I'll check out that demo.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Palpek posted:

i7 3.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTX 980
500 GB SSD

I take it you're running at 30 fps? Because everyone can do that, its never being able to get constant 60 that's the problem

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was running Knight fine for the most part until I started getting blue screens, which I haven't had in years and only happens in that game. I know it's usually a driver or other user side issue but it seems I'm not the only one that happens to with the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's a lego shot

She should probably get that fluid buildup in her legs checked out.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If you can handle portal you'll be fine

e- actually portal is probably harder iirc, if you can handle like the first half of either portal game you'll have no trouble

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GNU Order posted:

If you can handle portal you'll be fine

e- actually portal is probably harder iirc, if you can handle like the first half of either portal game you'll have no trouble
Yeah Portal actually has some trick jumping and stuff. This has 0 platforming. Everything is mostly Auto-Jump here and there may be like one or two spots where you could manually jump across a ledge to get a hidden star.

Anyways the actual puzzles are a good difficulty--not too hard but usually not entirely a cakewalk initially. You feel smart and smug though when finishing a puzzle. There's a couple hidden Star stuff that are sometimes very tricky and you may not notice--but don't feel bad because there's guides like this that give progressive hints instead of outright answer if you want. I used it a few times without shame. I'd expect you'd be able to find about 20 out of 30 of them no problem on your own, 6-8 with just a few nudges in the right direction, and maybe 2 outright requiring a walkthrough.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 13, 2015

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Xaris posted:

Okay I finally 100%'d Talos Principle and I just have to rave about how loving good this game is. It's honestly one of the best plots in a game ever which is crazy since its a puzzle-game.

Not just that but it's made by the Serious Sam developers (although the writing itself seems to be by others, like the guy who made this nice little game).

saucerman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finished Gone Home. It was pretty good.

I do wish I had done this when it first came out and before I knew what the story was about.

Think I'm going to pick up Her Story at full price so as to avoid this happening again.

The Talos Principle is one of the best games I've played in years, and the best puzzle game I've ever played. The Swapper was good, but nowhere near that level of polish.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

RBX posted:

I take it you're running at 30 fps? Because everyone can do that, its never being able to get constant 60 that's the problem

I have essentially the same rig as Palpek, and I get 60FPS most of the time. When I am driving in the rain at high speed, there is frame loss/stuttering virtually every time. I don't think it drops below 20 at those times, but it is pretty noticeable. I have seen it hitch in melee once in almost 8 hours so outside of outdoor driving, the game is smooth. Close to 60, but not constant (as you said)

It's unfortunate that the port is this bad, because the game is actually really good assuming you are one of the random people that can run it well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

I finished Gone Home. It was pretty good.

I do wish I had done this when it first came out and before I knew what the story was about.

Think I'm going to pick up Her Story at full price so as to avoid this happening again.

The Talos Principle is one of the best games I've played in years, and the best puzzle game I've ever played. The Swapper was good, but nowhere near that level of polish.
Prepare to take handwritten notes for Her Story.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Speaking of walking/puzzle games…

…I've had Kholat on my wish list for a while and I saw some of it on yesterday's Let's Drown Out… where it appeared to be a bit schizophrenic in its presentation. It has apparently gotten a somewhat divided reception (Very Positive on Steam; lower-half scores on quite a few review sites). Does anyone have any additional insights? Is it worth keeping on the list or should I just wait until the inevitable $1-tier bundle?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
E: ^^^ Looks interesting but haven't played it. Usually with these games you'll know if you like it by the first hour, so might want to just try it and refund it if after 1.5 hrs it's not grabbing ytou.

saucerman posted:

Not just that but it's made by the Serious Sam developers (although the writing itself seems to be by others, like the guy who made this nice little game).

Hah wow, I didn't realize it was the Serious Dam devs, but I knew the writer was the guy behind The Swapper and such. And they really knocked it out of the park with writing--it was really incredible. I want to go back and just talk with the computer for an entire game.

e: E: Anyways, just started Ether One and... not really digging it. Movement just feels incredibly weird and slow, which makes for a sour experence, and I loving hate the "hold one item" at a time thing. Maybe I'm still just too hungover to deal with this right now :v:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 13, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you haven't yet done so, make sure to check out the secrets in The Talos Principle. They've put a lot of effort into many of the easter eggs, as is usual for Croteam.

Also, the Road to Gehenna DLC will hit on July 23rd. It should be around 20 dollars or so, depending on where you live.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh another Metroidvania I noticed in GMG's deals for the next few hours, Spud's Quest is $2.71 and that's a 6-ish hour Metroidvania that is very similar to the Dizzy games, so like a modernized ZX Spectrum game, with inventory items and poo poo. But also elemental temples like a Zelda. Much like Super Panda Adventures it doesn't look amazing by any stretch, but I really liked it despite its flaws (can only carry 4 inventory items at a time, and there are some red herring items that don't solve any puzzles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

RBX posted:

60 fps, no stuttering so far.

• Locked thread