Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

goldjas posted:

Vit right side is kind of nice for MTing Ravana Extreme because that way if you the off tank misses a Blinding Blade it isn't a guaranteed 1 shot on the MT, but once your good enough to guarantee that that's never going to happen then you can go all STR for that as well. Literally everything else you want to be using STR right side. This may change once Savage Alex comes out, but even then it will only matter for that.

Vitality is a lot like accuracy; it's very important up until a certain point, and then it's useless. Knowing both how much accuracy and vitality you need for a given fight is critical to playing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Vit jewelry (and Shield Oath) are for bads.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
cant believe theres still not a blitz ball player job.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Reason posted:

cant believe theres still not a blitz ball player job.

In the FFX-2 sequel novel, Tidus gets sent back in time and kicks a blitzball but the blitzball is actually a bomb and blows his head off and kills him. Then Yuna makes him better but accidentally makes Sin better too.

Blitzball: Not even once.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I say stack VIT for duty finder parties, it will undoubtably save you from bad healer wipes, and the pubby tank will usually yield MT to you if you have significantly more HP. I had a half dozen ~100 hp saves in my first day of Alexander duty finding, and that is ilvl 181 with full VIT.

Generally when you play with a static that has healers that know what they are doing any actually pay attention to poo poo, full STR is the way to go.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Haven't had one of these threads in a while:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/247652-What-1.0-Did-Better...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Man, the Vault monk gear is good looking.

The unsheathe on those patas is absurdly frightening on a lalafell :v:

(edit) Just remembered the hat is Aery, not Vault. Still, good lookin'

Good to see Cervantes from Soul Calibur found his way into Eorzea

Whizbang posted:

In the FFX-2 sequel novel, Tidus gets sent back in time and kicks a blitzball but the blitzball is actually a bomb and blows his head off and kills him. Then Yuna makes him better but accidentally makes Sin better too.

Blitzball: Not even once.

All because Tidus wanted to get laid

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, uh...

Tam-Tara Deepcroft Hard :stare:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dr Pepper posted:

So, uh...

The best thing in the game :allears:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Dr Pepper posted:

So, uh...

Ah, did you read the notes?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Hivac posted:

The best thing in the game :allears:

So soon is greg forgotten

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

So, uh...

You made sure to turn it in, right?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Double Preys in Ravana EX is like such a loving :staredog: until you figure it out on your own

5 totems... no axe, no gun.

The great thing about MCH is you don't need to feel obligated to run it if you don't feel like it because no one fights you for loot

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

It's... beautiful.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Double Preys in Ravana EX is like such a loving :staredog: until you figure it out on your own

5 totems... no axe, no gun.

The great thing about MCH is you don't need to feel obligated to run it if you don't feel like it because no one fights you for loot

when you get to 10 totems and buy the item you've been wanting it'll finally drop for you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

It's... beautiful.

The legend never dies.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Much obliged goon sir.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Whizbang posted:

Vit jewelry (and Shield Oath) are for bads.
Bads don't need help to be bad (Shield Oath is good.)

It always amazes me when people do 'optimal' things when they aren't optimal and blame others for their own mistakes.
'Healer you suck and are bad and should feel bad' - Tank who didn't put on Defiance/Shield Oath/Grit and died while healer was spamming their strongest heal on them.
'Tank stop being a bad and use your cooldowns' - Healer that only uses their basic heal and doesn't do anything else.
'WTF Healer do your job' - DPS that stood in the middle of a pack of mobs, completely ignoring all of their AoE's and dying for it.
'Tank stop moving. Stop it! Stop moving the boss around! I'm doing bad damage because of you!' - DPS on a movement fight (Titan, the Curator etc.)

If you can't do the basics, you can't do the advanced crazy stuff that people theorycraft and label 'this is the best you can do.'

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Anyone have any useful UI suggestions ? I found today I can turn off other members debuffs and place Action tooltips to the right bottom corner. Exciting, but looking for things in the UI menus is such a pain in the rear end.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

:pervert:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Got some more noob questions, and since I stopped trying to get into Excalibur I have nowehere else to ask them:

If a friend joins me but decides to roll a class that starts in another city, how can we play together? Can I just head to his city at level 10 and start one of their classes? Do I get the starting quests?

At which level is the first dungeon opened?

Where do I get my RAF items at? I thought there was an xp boost thingie for being a referal, right? Or do I just get it after my first sub payment?

Thanks goons

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Got some more noob questions, and since I stopped trying to get into Excalibur I have nowehere else to ask them:

If a friend joins me but decides to roll a class that starts in another city, how can we play together? Can I just head to his city at level 10 and start one of their classes? Do I get the starting quests?
I don't quite remember how partying with specific people works because usually I just go with whoever's in FC chat at the time, but the starting city doesn't actually matter outside of some cutscenes. You'll get the starting class quests, but there's no way to get the city-specific starting quests.

quote:

At which level is the first dungeon opened?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Do your own individual story stuff until level 15ish when you get an airship pass and are sent to visit the other two cities. The stories converge from that point, and very shortly after that you get your first dungeon too, so it makes it a good point in the story to meet up with minimal fuss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Keep in mind that every dungeon in the game is unlocked via a quest, and each of these quests is either part of the main story, or becomes available based on your progress through the main story. The dungeon won't just magically unlock when you hit 15.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Questing together as a party is wearisome as both MSQ and job quests are instanced and restricted to solo play only. So if you don't want to constantly invite your friend to the party and kick them when playing through the story I'd suggest other methods of keeping contact such as voice chat.

Side quests, FATEs and leves (I think?) all work fine for party play though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

jyrque posted:

Questing together as a party is wearisome as both MSQ and job quests are instanced and restricted to solo play only. So if you don't want to constantly invite your friend to the party and kick them when playing through the story I'd suggest other methods of keeping contact such as voice chat.

Side quests, FATEs and leves (I think?) all work fine for party play though.

Leves work, but you won't have the same exact list of leves

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I wish there was some way to make Split Shot's potency trigger for Slug Shot activate faster with Gauss Barrel. blah blah jap net code blah blah but it's really annoying to see Slug Shot light up at the absolute last second once you've decided you didn't get a proc and hit split shot again.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh, wow, that's pretty lame. So my friend and I won't be playing together except for dungeons until endgame, basically?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You can level together, I did it with someone until 44 (nothing stopped us, he just unsubbed), but it's a pain to reinvite people for all the random solo cutscenes and mini-instances and such. Not a big enough hurdle to stop you from doing it if you want.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I mean, you can definitely level together and most of the MSQ stuff you can do in tandem and help each other with, as well as all the side quests out in the world, but as jyrque pointed out you'll each need to split up for instanced quests, but they're not too common.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh, wow, that's pretty lame. So my friend and I won't be playing together except for dungeons until endgame, basically?
You can play together, but you'll be splitting up pretty often to do solo stuff, annoying but you can cope with it. The game is really designed for people to be able to level at their own pace though, because unlike other MMOs if you're progressing with others you don't have to worry about staying within a level range to do group content, due to level sync and the ease of leveling alt jobs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

vOv posted:

You made sure to turn it in, right?

:stonk:

Why did I do this late at night.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
:toot:

For any other FCs out there working on ships, we can confirm that the trigger to unlock a second airship is discovering, then exploring Sector 08.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Are there any goons at all that play on Balmung? I'm wondering if there's a Linkshell or something.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
There's a few, but I don't think they have a linkshell or a FC together.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I'm betting there's probably like 5 people on the server, considering there's much stronger goon presence on other servers.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Poultron posted:

Are there any goons at all that play on Balmung? I'm wondering if there's a Linkshell or something.

Isn't that the ERP server?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Isn't that the ERP server?

I was just told it's an RP server. I guess that probably includes ERP.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Poultron posted:

I was just told it's an RP server. I guess that probably includes ERP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

:staredog:

• Locked thread