Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I just loving realised that I bought, levelled and rerolled a shirt that I can't wear during Splatfest. My complementing stacking! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Japan is advertising some Stuffed Squid with the sisters. How spooky
This would look delicious if they didn't depict it as a chopped up squid person.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just realized I'll be out of town for the next Splatfest. Do I get sea snails or whatever for at least picking a team?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Just realized I'll be out of town for the next Splatfest. Do I get sea snails or whatever for at least picking a team?

Yeah. Just for joining you'll get two sea snails.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Internet Kraken posted:

Splatoon; a world of squids, kids, and casual cannibalism.

One of the stage blurbs has the sisters talking about eating octo-pie. Not quite cannibalistic but pretty :stare: worthy.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Internet Kraken posted:

Splatoon; a world of squids, kids, and casual cannibalism.

Callie and Marie are inklings, not squids. So really it's more like you or I eating a monkey and therefore perfectly ethical.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hi I am behind on my video games but I just wanted to pop in and agree that yeah the final boss owns

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Christo posted:

Callie and Marie are inklings, not squids. So really it's more like you or I eating a monkey and therefore perfectly ethical.

I would never eat a monkey.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Bass Bottles posted:

I would never eat a monkey.

More delicious monkey bungers for me!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Normie Slayer posted:

This would look delicious if they didn't depict it as a chopped up squid person.

They're catering to the octoling market.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Christo posted:

I take it you didn't get far in single player?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
right now i'm in a lobby with a bunch of level 2's-5's people named "daddy" or "papa" and it is hilarious. yes definitely walk around shooting your feet

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I take it you didn't get far in single player?

Thats an octoling, not an octopus! Try to keep up here.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

right now i'm in a lobby with a bunch of level 2's-5's people named "daddy" or "papa" and it is hilarious. yes definitely walk around shooting your feet

that's not how you play videogames, "dad"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

I feel bad whenever I beat people in Mario Kart 8 with names like that

I hope someday I can be the first good at videogames dad

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel bad whenever I beat people in Mario Kart 8 with names like that

I hope someday I can be the first good at videogames dad

Most of them aren't fathers. :whitewater:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has anyone else started to notice clan tags showing up?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Barnyard Protein posted:

I'm always shocked and a little creeped out at the number of people that have some reference to fatherhood in their user names on Splatoon... Mostly because I recognize most of these people aren't actually fathers. I like to imagine that they all are, though: "NO, I CAN'T HELP WITH BOBBY'S FIELD TRIP THAT DAY--IT'S SPLATFEST, AND HOW WILL TEAM ANIMAL CRACKER WIN WITHOUT ME?!"

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Niemat posted:

I'm always shocked and a little creeped out at the number of people that have some reference to fatherhood in their user names on Splatoon... Mostly because I recognize most of these people aren't actually fathers. I like to imagine that they all are, though: "NO, I CAN'T HELP WITH BOBBY'S FIELD TRIP THAT DAY--IT'S SPLATFEST, AND HOW WILL TEAM ANIMAL CRACKER WIN WITHOUT ME?!"

Team Gummy Bear gonna wreck those animal cracka fools.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Dresh posted:

Team Gummy Bear gonna wreck those animal cracka fools.

team sugar free gummy bear only knows how to use the splattershot

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fawf posted:

team sugar free gummy bear only knows how to use the splattershot

Our bombs are bouncing here there and everywhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have made my choice and I am fine with it.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
coasters vs slides is terribly boring, instead lets devolve the argument to callie vs. marie. callie is clearly the best choice,

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
In other news: Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata, you will be missed. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Niemat posted:

i call my teammates dad because they're never there for me

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

i call my teammates dad because they're never there for me

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

ConanThe3rd posted:

As a MST3K fan, It would be nothing short of heresy to not vote for SLEEP!

Have you forgotten the evenings we spent lingering over brandies at EAT?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fanzay posted:

Someone teach me how to charger

The main thing to remember when starting out with Chargers is that you're not toting around a sniper rifle. It's a long range paint flinger that paints in long straight lines. And you can paint these lines very fast. A mistake I often see is chargers doing short pulls to cover space around them. This is bad because it's a hugely inefficient way to cover turf with the weapon. The method I use is to make a path until I get to an open area, and then do a full shot, step left or right, and repeat. Speaking of paths, that's a stellar feature of chargers. You can zip through a stage early on. I loving love racing down Moray Towers. Also, the long range of chargers allows you to ink over enemy-claimed turf from far off, without having to engage or sneak by the enemy.

Perching is important. You really do need to find a place up high where you can avoid short range and melee. Don't be afraid to hang back while your team pushes into enemy territory either. It's likely they're going to get splatted, and you might be need to hold the Bad Guys at bay while they respawn.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mirage posted:

Have you forgotten the evenings we spent lingering over brandies at EAT?

Hey, I made my choice, go back to Normal View before you try to kill me with a forklift.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The main thing to remember when starting out with Chargers is that you're not toting around a sniper rifle. It's a long range paint flinger that paints in long straight lines. And you can paint these lines very fast. A mistake I often see is chargers doing short pulls to cover space around them. This is bad because it's a hugely inefficient way to cover turf with the weapon. The method I use is to make a path until I get to an open area, and then do a full shot, step left or right, and repeat. Speaking of paths, that's a stellar feature of chargers. You can zip through a stage early on. I loving love racing down Moray Towers. Also, the long range of chargers allows you to ink over enemy-claimed turf from far off, without having to engage or sneak by the enemy.

Perching is important. You really do need to find a place up high where you can avoid short range and melee. Don't be afraid to hang back while your team pushes into enemy territory either. It's likely they're going to get splatted, and you might be need to hold the Bad Guys at bay while they respawn.

What do you do when an ink brusher throws a sprinkler on your position then charges past you? Because I do that poo poo constantly.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What do you do when an ink brusher throws a sprinkler on your position then charges past you? Because I do that poo poo constantly.

I don't know, I've yet to have to happen to me. I've become quite good at shooting the speedy fuckers though.

That reminds me. As a charger, shoot the sprinklers and beakons your enemy throws out. You'll usually have easier access to them than your teammates.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like throwing sprinklers at perched chargers, but I don't hold any illusions about getting a kill out of it. It's mainly just a distraction, forcing them to turn away from the field while you do whatever it is you're trying to do.

If fighting on even/open terrain, the sprinkler-distraction-rushdown can sort of work (moreso in unranked than ranked), but you need swimmable ink. The sprinkler costs so much ink to throw that you likely won't have enough left to skate over and finish them with.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Supercar Gautier posted:

I like throwing sprinklers at perched chargers, but I don't hold any illusions about getting a kill out of it.

I have actually been killed by a sprinkler before. And I'm not even talking about it distracting me. An ink glob literally splatted me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Oh yeah, they definitely CAN kill, but I don't really count on it and I consider myself lucky when it happens.

General sprinkler talk:
-It takes 8-10 seconds for a sprinkler on the ground to cover its full radius. For straight-up coverage, this is always the best (although walls/ceilings may offer tactical advantages).
-A sprinkler on a wall will cover a decent-sized hyperbola shape. The affected area does not change with the height of the sprinkler, so you might as well put it as high as you can.
-A sprinkler on a ceiling will cover a donut shape. This is often not very efficient. The radius of the donut increases with height, but so does the size of the donut hole.
-My favourite place in the game to put a sprinkler is this spot on Urchin Underpass, since it gives the enemy team more trouble pushing back in.
-Places where you would hope a sprinkler would be good, but it actually isn't: the rigging above the middle of Urchin Underpass, the moving platform at the back of Saltspray Rig.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Oh yeah, they definitely CAN kill, but I don't really count on it and I consider myself lucky when it happens.

General sprinkler talk:
-It takes 8-10 seconds for a sprinkler on the ground to cover its full radius. For straight-up coverage, this is always the best (although walls/ceilings may offer tactical advantages).
-A sprinkler on a wall will cover a decent-sized hyperbola shape. The affected area does not change with the height of the sprinkler, so you might as well put it as high as you can.
-A sprinkler on a ceiling will cover a donut shape. This is often not very efficient. The radius of the donut increases with height, but so does the size of the donut hole.
-My favourite place in the game to put a sprinkler is this spot on Urchin Underpass, since it gives the enemy team more trouble pushing back in.
-Places where you would hope a sprinkler would be good, but it actually isn't: the rigging above the middle of Urchin Underpass, the moving platform at the back of Saltspray Rig.

What about the bridge over the middle of Bluefin Depot, good, bad, or just average?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a bit less likely to get shot, but IIRC the coverage is much better if you just place it right-side-up in the middle of the "cross".

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

wall sprinklers also have more ink hitting the ground and do more damage, I throw them to hold off a corridor to cover my back while I'm inking an area.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a bit less likely to get shot, but IIRC the coverage is much better if you just place it right-side-up in the middle of the "cross".

I throw it upside down above the cross so I have that nice area to swim around in to guard that area. Best sprinkler throw is probably on top of the moving trucks so they can just zamboni you some points.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Supercar Gautier posted:

A spot I like that's similar to this is at the end of the corridor out of the enemy's spawn in port mackerel. If you stick it in the middle of the shipping container it covers both paths and can hinder anyone who doesn't take the longer routes out of spawn.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is there any subweapon more useful and versatile than the sprinkler? I think not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is there any subweapon more useful and versatile than the sprinkler? I think not.

Sprinkler kills are like little gifts

• Locked thread