Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

LeadSled posted:

Is no one else a bit suspicious at the fact that Space-AT&T is comping a priority transmission like this? That's a lot of C-Bills that Comstar is giving away.

It seems like they were expecting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

LeadSled posted:

Is no one else a bit suspicious at the fact that Space-AT&T is comping a priority transmission like this? That's a lot of C-Bills that Comstar is giving away.

Eh, this conforms to their master plan. FWL versus CC >> FWL versus RWR. They know who he is, aren't surprised by this and are happy to advance their own agenda whilst make it look to the faction they're currently dicking over that the rubes actually owe them a favour now. It's win win win for the evil phone company, and that's worth any amount of c-bills.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It means Comstar is going to replace Carlos with a body-double.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Artificer posted:

Gene sequencing?

I sguess the idea is that they'll sequence Carlos' genetic code using that verigraph thingy and attach the result to the message, so that the recipient can be certain of the identity of the sender.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PTN you may want to check the structure on the Nightstar's legs, one displays ss/ss rather than 20/20.

You'd have caught it anyways if it had become relevant but yeah.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The sudden proximity of the hostile forces to our Gauss line is making me appreciate just how cozy things can get on a single mapsheet after all the larger scenarios we've been running.

Good luck goons!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Cerb is in a horrible position i feel. That said I can rush out of cover and draw fire. I think if the maelstrom backs up 5, Cerb walks back instead of breaking cover, we can focus down the yu Haung pretty good this turn. Or maybe even bring the cerb in closer. Yu Haung will be opened up if any one of our gauss rifles hit the RT and then it'll be crit heaven I hope.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Scintilla posted:

It seems like they were expecting him.

Or they're just really pissed off at the Capellans right now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Viva Miriya posted:

Cerb is in a horrible position i feel. That said I can rush out of cover and draw fire. I think if the maelstrom backs up 5, Cerb walks back instead of breaking cover, we can focus down the yu Haung pretty good this turn. Or maybe even bring the cerb in closer. Yu Haung will be opened up if any one of our gauss rifles hit the RT and then it'll be crit heaven I hope.

Note to self - next time don't let yourself be seduced by hearing 'hey man move over here and we'll cover you with ghost targets.' ;)

I'm kicking around ideas at the moment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The cerb is fine, it can come around the building and take shots at the Jinggau or something. Or backing to get the penetrator out of los. It's got good choices either way. Have to hammer out some options when I get home.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

LeadSled posted:

It's remarkably suspicious, but there's no better option and whatever machinations we may be feeding into are probably a much less immediate priority than Carlos phoning home. This reads like the smirk of a man who knows you know he's playing you somehow, but also knows there's nothing you can do about it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, this is definitely Comstar playing the long game here. Everything is going according to their plans and the real consequences of this mission can't be known until it's all said and done.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Viva Miriya posted:

Cerb is actually in a good position, it can dance around to 0816 and take some shots at the Sha yu with nothing else returning fire, and close range on the gauss (7 hexes) and the other two mechs can support.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I stand corrected. So I'm gonna walk 1216 probably and blast the yuhaung. I feel we should all focus it down and take out the new lance's best pilot/probable leader. Who do we want to put ghost targets on this turn?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

I stand corrected. So I'm gonna walk 1216 probably and blast the yuhaung. I feel we should all focus it down and take out the new lance's best pilot/probable leader. Who do we want to put ghost targets on this turn?

I like this plan, it's got the best pilot and it's packing solid damage at both extreme and short range. You get good shots in 1216 (8s on the LPL/gauss), and the Thunder/Yu Huang's AC20s only have 12/11 to hit you (Assuming failed ghost targets) respectively. I'd keep yours on you, and I'll back up to 0812, shoot the Yu Huang on 10s, and keep my ghost targets on the Cerb. Not sure where the cerb should move, it's pretty tricky. More fire on the Yu Huang is good, but it's a little awkward maneuvering.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Cerb is actually in a good position, it can dance around to 0816 and take some shots at the Sha yu with nothing else returning fire, and close range on the gauss (7 hexes) and the other two mechs can support.

I was coming around to this myself - move to 0816 and go for some shots on that speedy little gently caress. Shame I'm just out of range for the MPLs.

The only thing I'm worried about - well, aside from all the return fire but that's a given - is that Guardian ECM the Sha Yu's got, which stands a chance to bump my TNs to 13+. Gwaihir, want to come join me in Sha Yu hunting and try shutting down its ECM? (e: just noticed you already have plans, and good ones. Well, c'est la vie.)

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Dice are loving Goonstar so far. Those hits on the Yu are very nice. Another Gauss hit and we could see some crits!

Focusing him sounds like a winner.

You guys probably want to smash the Sha Yu at some point else he might blow up our man on the escape.

Kial fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 13, 2015

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

LeadSled posted:

Since it costs only one C-Bill per page of text sent, probably not, though maybe they nab people with fees for priority messages. The free ride combined with the verigraph is worrying though, because Comstar has the technology to secretly crack those and can forge a message at the next station before passing it along. Fudging details about the Capellans sounds like a convenient way to draw inadequate League reinforcements into a meat grinder and keep the planet in the right hands, and if Carlos dies nobody will be the wiser... :tinfoil:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AJ_Impy posted:

The obsession with purple, eagles and infighting didn't tip you off?

There's also strong hints the Mariks are the last descendants of the Hapsburg dynasty.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Just a quick note. While I do love me a good conspiracy theory, especially here where PTN loves him some wheels within wheels style plotting, we have to consider the fact that the yon Precentor is helping us out less because of of some sinister ComStar plot and more because the Cappies shot his family car and tried to blame us for it.

Of course if we wanna make SURE of that, I recommend that one or more of you guys send the video to the ComStar 'mechs of the Cappies taking the shot to ensure that Carlos doesn't have an "accident" while in ComStar custody. One line in your orders to that effect will probably be good enough.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Just a quick note. While I do love me a good conspiracy theory, especially here where PTN loves him some wheels within wheels style plotting, we have to consider the fact that the yon Precentor is helping us out less because of of some sinister ComStar plot and more because the Cappies shot his family car and tried to blame us for it.

Of course if we wanna make SURE of that, I recommend that one or more of you guys send the video to the ComStar 'mechs of the Cappies taking the shot to ensure that Carlos doesn't have an "accident" while in ComStar custody. One line in your orders to that effect will probably be good enough.

We aren't able to interact with comstar with our orders besides just killing cappies, sorry.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

We aren't able to interact with comstar with our orders besides just killing cappies, sorry.

Are you sure? Did you ask? Because the Cappies sent a message in the clear to ComStar, you know. Just because there's nothing in the game rules that talks about it doesn't mean it's automatically invalid. There's nothing in the rules about plucking an KO'd pilot out of his 'mech, but I asked if I could try it, and PTN allowed it.

If you guys did ask and he said no, then that's that. But if not, it wouldn't hurt to check. :shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I doubt there needs to be any proof sent to keep PTN from going rocks fall, everyone dies based on the unprovoked actions of a Capellan private whose buddy just took up his car killing habit right in front of Comstar forces, firing in the general direction of Comstar territory.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Are you sure? Did you ask? Because the Cappies sent a message in the clear to ComStar, you know. Just because there's nothing in the game rules that talks about it doesn't mean it's automatically invalid. There's nothing in the rules about plucking an KO'd pilot out of his 'mech, but I asked if I could try it, and PTN allowed it.

If you guys did ask and he said no, then that's that. But if not, it wouldn't hurt to check. :shrug:

Immediately after the Cappies blew up the Precentor's car I included in my orders something to the effect of "keep talking to Comstar and assure them we're here on a smash-and-grab it's all cool please don't shoot us," et cetera. While nothing appeared in the fluff, I have no reason to believe that PTN didn't take my pilot's attempt to fast-talk into account.

Basically, that base is covered, don't worry.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Immediately after the Cappies blew up the Precentor's car I included in my orders something to the effect of "keep talking to Comstar and assure them we're here on a smash-and-grab it's all cool please don't shoot us," et cetera. While nothing appeared in the fluff, I have no reason to believe that PTN didn't take my pilot's attempt to fast-talk into account.

Basically, that base is covered, don't worry.

Fair enough. Carry on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That is some amazing service from Space AT&T. Talk to the biggest boss on the planet, get maximum priority comped and out of the office in under a minute.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You probably need to shoot the shu ya before he goes around the facility and continues blowing up cars.

Carlos needs to get out alive too. And the pilot still has his hunting mood on.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The mission is still protect Carlos Marik

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I still don't know why that one mech pilot couldn't just tell the reinforcements that he has a hunch that the enemy's objective is in one of those cars and get them shooting too. Unless of course he tried that and they called him a paranoid nutcase who should be focusing on fighting actual enemies.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

jng2058 posted:

I checked with PTN.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Viva Miriya posted:

I checked with PTN.

Okie-doke. Good on you, then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I decided against it because why break opsec and risk the Capellans finding your frequencies or even worse, cracking your codes?

What's ComStar going to do, chase them into the badlands? :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm just going to back up to 0812, keep ghost targets on the Cerb, and shoot at the Yu Huang.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use your pulse lasers to carve a cheery "hello!" in the side of a building. The building that the Grand Titan Voluminous Giant is in would probably be a good choice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goatface posted:

Use your pulse lasers to carve a cheery hello.jpg in the side of a building. The building that the Grand Titan Voluminous Giant is in would probably be a good choice.

I have a better idea... makes for a better post/user name combo too

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Defiance Industries posted:

I have a better idea... makes for a better post/user name combo too

scribble "Quickscell wuz here" on the HPG?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DeepThrobble posted:

Since it costs only one C-Bill per page of text sent, probably not, though maybe they nab people with fees for priority messages. The free ride combined with the verigraph is worrying though, because Comstar has the technology to secretly crack those and can forge a message at the next station before passing it along. Fudging details about the Capellans sounds like a convenient way to draw inadequate League reinforcements into a meat grinder and keep the planet in the right hands, and if Carlos dies nobody will be the wiser... :tinfoil:

They're also sending the message out immediately, which costs a fortune.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Carlos may wish to tell them to delay that a little as IIRC it is visible when an HPG sends a message, it will make the Capellans freak out and look at the HPG and his rear end running out of the complex and into the car.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Carlos may wish to tell them to delay that a little as IIRC it is visible when an HPG sends a message, it will make the Capellans freak out and look at the HPG and his rear end running out of the complex and into the car.

Better to have them freak out after the message has been sent than risk the Capellans saying "gently caress it, better safe than sorry" and storming the HPG, later blaming the whole affair on those "vicious Marik-backed guerrilla fighters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, with the way that those mechs have been looking at them, they might think "Oh poo poo, Comstar aren't happy with us fighting right outside their space-modem and are phoning home about it."

• Locked thread