Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I'm one of those assholes who got interested in the last year or so just in time for everything to apparently be impossible to find. Couple questions if you would be so kind.

What bourbon blogs / sites are considered good?
Any online places to order booze at respectable prices? I live in VA so state controlled ABC is good for your basics.

I ran across Bourbonr, which now looks like it has a separate site pay membership. Does this poo poo look like it's worth the price?

http://bourbonr.com/blog/bourbonr-pro-van-winkle-giveaway/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I've been really enjoying Canadian Club whisky lately, mixed or just on its own. Are other canadian whisky's similar in taste? I know I don't enjoy bourbon, and I have a bit of a taste aversion of Scotch.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

internet jerk posted:

I'm one of those assholes who got interested in the last year or so just in time for everything to apparently be impossible to find. Couple questions if you would be so kind.

Any online places to order booze at respectable prices? I live in VA so state controlled ABC is good for your basics.

I ran across Bourbonr, which now looks like it has a separate site pay membership. Does this poo poo look like it's worth the price?

Bourbonr, Red, White, and Bourbon, and r/bourbon on Reddit are all good sources of info and reviews.

I think Blake does a great job with Bourbonr, but unless you really want a chance at some private selections by him, I'm not sure what else would make the pay site worth it. Knowing when some big releases are coming out doesn't really help all that much unless you already have some connections. I live in an ABC state, too, so knowing that Pappy or Stagg has been released here means nothing when bars and restaurants get all but 2 bottles. And those 2 are sold before they even get put on a shelf.

I order most of my whiskey online, from a huge variety of places. Its a real pain to search online and compare prices and shipping availability to make an order worth it, but that's what you have to do unless money is no object. You can expect to pay about $20 shipping for three 750 ml bottles, buying a single bottle can cost about the same so it's usually not worth it.

Since you live in VA, it might be worth it to figure out your whiskey budget for the year, and take a road trip to Kentucky and load up. You'll be able to get some gift shop only releases at distilleries, and find a ton of stuff on shelves you normally wouldn't.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Big Bidness posted:

I order most of my whiskey online, from a huge variety of places. Its a real pain to search online and compare prices and shipping availability to make an order worth it, but that's what you have to do unless money is no object. You can expect to pay about $20 shipping for three 750 ml bottles, buying a single bottle can cost about the same so it's usually not worth it.

Since you live in VA, it might be worth it to figure out your whiskey budget for the year, and take a road trip to Kentucky and load up. You'll be able to get some gift shop only releases at distilleries, and find a ton of stuff on shelves you normally wouldn't.

Mind listing a few places (say the first 3 that pop into your head) you've had good experiences ordering online with? I always like to get recommendations.

I hadn't even really considered making a bottle run. That would be a fun road trip. Great idea although I'm not sure when I'd get around to that.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

internet jerk posted:

Mind listing a few places (say the first 3 that pop into your head) you've had good experiences ordering online with? I always like to get recommendations.

I hadn't even really considered making a bottle run. That would be a fun road trip. Great idea although I'm not sure when I'd get around to that.

Binny's and Ace Spirits spring to mind. Honestly, I haven had any really terrible experiences ordering liquor online, save for a couple sites not updating their inventory quick enough when there's a feeding frenzy for something. But even then they got back to me quickly to let me know the item wasn't in stock. Just make sure the site ships to your state, and have Fed Ex hold the delivery if you aren't going to be home to sign for it.

The only site I try to avoid on principle is Casker's. They want you to sign up just to look at their stock, then spam you with constant emails. They overhype everything to the extreme, and more than once when I bit the bullet and tried to order something that no one else had in stock, they let you add the item to your cart and then give you the out of stock notice. And it's not a case of the site needing to update, because it will stay like that for days. An item will say In Stock until you put it in your cart. So yeah, gently caress Casker's.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

internet jerk posted:

If you are looking for rare/hard-to-find whiskey, then you're going to have some issues looking online as well. I'm not sure where in VA you're at, but it'll probably be significantly easier to make trips into MD and find a good place. I have a place in MD that I drive out to about once a month to restock my bar and have eventually became somewhat close with the guy who runs the shop. When rare things come in, he calls me up. While a lot of folks just mark up prices significantly and sell to randos, a lot of places value repeat business and will call you/hold items for a couple of days once things come in. It's the only way I can get a hold of the BTAC releases at reasonable rates.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Big Bidness posted:

Binny's and Ace Spirits spring to mind. Honestly, I haven had any really terrible experiences ordering liquor online, save for a couple sites not updating their inventory quick enough when there's a feeding frenzy for something. But even then they got back to me quickly to let me know the item wasn't in stock. Just make sure the site ships to your state, and have Fed Ex hold the delivery if you aren't going to be home to sign for it.

The only site I try to avoid on principle is Casker's. They want you to sign up just to look at their stock, then spam you with constant emails. They overhype everything to the extreme, and more than once when I bit the bullet and tried to order something that no one else had in stock, they let you add the item to your cart and then give you the out of stock notice. And it's not a case of the site needing to update, because it will stay like that for days. An item will say In Stock until you put it in your cart. So yeah, gently caress Casker's.

Drink Up NY isn't bad as well. They usually ship/deliver my orders within 3-4 days. The biggest downside is their selection; better than VA ABC stores, but not on par with some of the MD-based independent stores.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Just tried Bruichladdich 21 year 1992 Signatory. So smooth I have trouble tasting it.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Will the Chinese stock market crash / impending recession impact global whisk(e)y prices?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Leopold Stotch posted:

Will the Chinese stock market crash / impending recession impact global whisk(e)y prices?

Probably won't change much. Distillers have to lay up barrels years in advance and right now there is no excess. They're just taking younger barrels and selling them as NAS releases because they can. Maybe prices will hold steady, but there's no real precedent for prices to go down. People love alcohol, and they love it a little more when their hearts are filled with sadness.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

kidsafe posted:

Maybe prices will hold steady, but there's no real precedent for prices to go down.

The 1980s were pretty brutal on most companies. I'm not sure if prices will go "down" again, but i wouldn't be shocked if (one day) a lot of the high-end bourbons eventually go away and we're left with the crap/value selection that was typically available during the 80s though.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
You ever mix wis key with tequil a I like to sometimes and get the party staaaaarted!!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

grandpas drunk posted:

You ever mix wis key with tequil a I like to sometimes and get the party staaaaarted!!

Grandpas drunk guys

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

grandpas drunk posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

grandpas drunk posted:

its good, but not nearly as good as Tommy Wiseau's classic Vodka and Scotch (Scotchka?)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

grandpas drunk posted:

wub a lub a dub duuuuuuuuub

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Had a dram of The Odin with my best man before the rehearsal. An outstanding Scotch regardless of my Highland Park Fanboyishness.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I am not going to read 100+ pages however much I love whiskey, but I have a handle of old crow and a big jar of pickles for chasers. I love me my whisky. Time for an Irish coffee.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

trauma llama posted:

Had a dram of The Odin with my best man before the rehearsal. An outstanding Scotch regardless of my Highland Park Fanboyishness.

Wait you can get Odin now?

In other news, I'm putting together a bourbon/rye tasting for my company (140 people).

I'd like to do 4 items that showcase some amount of variety of mashbill and taste, Ideally I'd like to pair 2 that are very similar mashbill but differences in dilution/vatting/aging (e.g. Dickel Rye and Black maple hill are both LDI Rye I think -- handy chart here.)

Most people there are big fans of Makers Mark and Bulleit so I'd like to do some things a little more interesting than that, and I think I want to show off Corsair Triple smoke as the "oddball" of the group.

Recommendations (also, places where I could order whatever you're recommending online or find it in NYC)?

Assume that we're willing to pay 80-120/bottle for at least one of the bottles.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Apparently. I saw a few bottles in Chicago around the beginning of the year. My brothers are just bad rear end and managed to get me a bottle. To be fair I still saw a bottle or two of Loki in St. Louis up until a few months ago.

Freya went very quickly though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

In other news, I'm putting together a bourbon/rye tasting for my company (140 people).

I'd like to do 4 items that showcase some amount of variety of mashbill and taste, Ideally I'd like to pair 2 that are very similar mashbill but differences in dilution/vatting/aging (e.g. Dickel Rye and Black maple hill are both LDI Rye I think -- handy chart here.)

Most people there are big fans of Makers Mark and Bulleit so I'd like to do some things a little more interesting than that, and I think I want to show off Corsair Triple smoke as the "oddball" of the group.

Recommendations (also, places where I could order whatever you're recommending online or find it in NYC)?

If they're fans of Makers, going with something like Maker's Cask Strength, or Maker's 46
Or if you can find Weller 12, compare that with OWA107 or Special Reserve (edit: or, obviously, Pappy or William Larue Weller, but good luck)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Koval Bourbon uses millet seed in their grain bill, fair amount too iirc. Might be a nice one to add for one of your different varieties.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Anyone have any experience with the Wild Turkey 101 Rye?

WT101 is probably my favorite whiskey — maybe not the greatest of all, but at its price, quality, & availability nothing comes close, and a bottle is always stocked in my cabinet. Stores around here only carry the 81 rye and I haven't given it a whirl. The Russell's Reserve Rye is another favorite of mine, and I'd like to know how that one compares to the rye 101 before I drop $40 on a web order of their 1L bottle.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

101 rye is great, but in my opinion is overshadowed by Rittenhouse 100, which is slightly cheaper and more full-bodied. That said, the WT formula for their rye is close to their bourbon, so if you love the bourbon I can't imagine you won't love the rye. $40 is a small price to pay for a liter of whisky you really enjoy, and the extra 250ml you get over a regular bottle goes a long way. I'd say go for it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I agree with Booyah: As far as $20 ryes go, the Rittenhouse is significantly better than the wild turkey 101.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

2DCAT posted:

I agree with Booyah: As far as $20 ryes go, the Rittenhouse is significantly better than the wild turkey 101.

Make me third to agree. Rittenhouse is better, but I will admit that the WT101bourbon's really, really tough to beat for the price.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I love 101 for mixing with things that need a powerful flavor to not get drowned out. For weeks, though, none of the shops around here had it in glass bottles. I don't trust plastic bottles for my booze, as superstitious as that is. So I got Weller, which is kind of similar.

For sipping, I prefer Buffalo Trace, honestly. I got talked into a bottle of Eagle Rare last time I was at the store, though. Good whiskey, terrible packaging. I cut my hand on the foil taking the cork off. I ended up having to cut all of the foil off the bottle so I wouldn't do it again.

E: Supposing I can find it still, how much better is the Bottled in bond than the regular Rittenhouse? I've still got about 1/3 of a bottle of regular Rittenhouse left.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Supposing I can find it still, how much better is the Bottled in bond than the regular Rittenhouse? I've still got about 1/3 of a bottle of regular Rittenhouse left.

You should always purchase the 100 proof Rittenhouse (unless we're also taking the Rittenhouse 23 or 25 into consideration, which I'm guessing we're not) . Don't get me wrong, I like the rittenhouse, but it is what it is. It's a $20, higher-proof rye that is okay to drink neat, but good to use in sazeracs or manhattans. Because I mainly use it in cocktails, I would go with the 100 proof over the 80 proof every time. Considering that the 80 proof is probably only slight cheaper than the 100 proof, I'd go with the 100 proof regardless of how you're drinking it, and if it's too harsh (doubtful), add your own water and save on the costs. Drinking the Rittenhouse 100 neat is very 'meh' to me, and I'd rather turn to Colonel EH Taylor, WP, or Mastersons if I was going to do that.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 16, 2015

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If they're fans of Makers, going with something like Maker's Cask Strength, or Maker's 46
Or if you can find Weller 12, compare that with OWA107 or Special Reserve (edit: or, obviously, Pappy or William Larue Weller, but good luck)

So the resort insisted on us buying through them, so we gave them a list and they're claiming to have/or committing to find enough of both Weller 12 and OWA 107.

The lineup is:

Willett Pot Still Reserve (Emphasizing the awesome mouthfeel and chewiness)
Weller 12
OWA 107
Corsair Triple Smoke (Tons to say about different flavor influences here)

If anyone has specific thoughts/resources on the Weller 12 and OWA, would love to hear.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Having discovered a good Martini/Whisk(e)y bar right down the street from where I work got me into drinking bourbon/whiskey. I started with Woodford Reserve and loved it, and then had a few Blanton's (I drink mine with some rocks) and I'm kind of loving the brown now. I went out and got a 750ml of Bulleit and that was a great drink. The last time I went to the liquor store I got talked into a bottle of Kentucky Vintage small batch over a Pure Kentucky XO, and it's a decent drink but it just doesn't have enough taste for me. I'm looking for something that has a similar profile to Bulleit or Blanton's for my next bottle purchase, and would love to hear some suggestions from you aficionados.

EDIT: Also had a pour of Hibuki 12 which I thought was really good. I think that the only thing that will turn me off from a whiskey so far is too much heat, I've been gunshy about trying anything above 100 proof.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 19, 2015

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

b0ng posted:

I think that the only thing that will turn me off from a whiskey so far is too much heat, I've been gunshy about trying anything above 100 proof.

Wild Turkey 101 is exceedingly drinkable at 101 proof. Nobody should be giving you poo poo about adding a bit of water or ice to open it up, either.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Lots of good whiskeys are very drinkable at or above 100 proof (old grand dad bonded, bookers, various cask strength scotches). bad whiskeys at high proof at not fun, but with a good one you'll hardly notice. Also try adding just a drop or two of water to cut the burn ever so slightly and open the whiskey up a little more.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hell, OGD 114 is perfectly drinkable and it's at full-Sykes proof.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does drinking it on the rocks do the same thing as adding a tiny bit of water?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does drinking it on the rocks do the same thing as adding a tiny bit of water?

Not really. When you drink it on the rocks you not only dilute with a generally more significant amount of water, but you also chill it. Both factors will decrease the sensation of alcohol, but they also mute or at least change flavors. Obviously if you use stones then you won't have dilution, but they can hold onto some residual compounds from previous glasses.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 22, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I don't know why, but for some reason I find ice in whisky (or whiskey) to be a real turn off. Not "the cold is dulling the flavours" or whatever but a real visceral "ugh" shudder reaction. Yet I like a tiny splash of room temperature water in there. No idea.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ChetReckless posted:

I don't know why, but for some reason I find ice in whisky (or whiskey) to be a real turn off. Not "the cold is dulling the flavours" or whatever but a real visceral "ugh" shudder reaction. Yet I like a tiny splash of room temperature water in there. No idea.

I basically only put ice in the stuff they serve on airplanes or if I'm making some sort of cocktail like a mint julep.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I never drank it on the rocks, but I have found that is the only way to make it tolerable when it's 90 degrees outside and I'm on the second floor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And if you get accustomed to high proofs it's hard to drink regular whiskey. I went on a Bakers kick and it took awhile before I could drink anything else, nearly ruined Scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kenning posted:

Hell, OGD 114 is perfectly drinkable and it's at full-Sykes proof.

It is, but I find that a couple drops of water opens up the flavor wonderfully.

wormil posted:

And if you get accustomed to high proofs it's hard to drink regular whiskey. I went on a Bakers kick and it took awhile before I could drink anything else, nearly ruined Scotch.

I just can't touch anything 80 proof.