Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
even if the new book does come out the show has already gone ahead and out-shitted storylines that'll surely take hundreds of pages to bother with, it'll be worse than AFFC and ADWD in the "nothing happens" bandwagon. GRRM has already intimated that Tyrion and Dany don't get together until maybe the very end of the book, so no progress on that end, and we'll be stuck with several dozen chapters of Stannis loving off, screwing up, and then sacrificing his daughter when we all know he's going to die anyway. Not to mention the Aegon red herring that will derail story or who knows how long but we know doesn't amount to anything because he doesn't even show up in the show. the amount of actual, real, progress may be, like, nil.

let the bitterness flow through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tMp2xgpg8

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I have the Game of Thrones rulebook (the Swords and Sorcery one, not the stuff Green Ronin(?) is currently doing). Is it actually wroth much? I got it for free.

Calling Sanderson, with the (un)surprising twist that the Night's King Tyrion Lannister was actually Hoid.

They took advantage of an opportunity brought about by an injured and raging giant (and doesn't Wun Wun actually kinda like Jon as far as humans go?) only works because his burned hand is apparently unable to draw a sword since he didn't keep flexing it for months so it somehow became even less useful than Johnny Tremain's. Like he goes to draw his sword and the NW guys fall back because none of them want to use a knife against someone as trained as Jon, wielding a Vorpal Sword of Dragonsteel +5, and only go in for the kill once he's unable to draw Longclaw?

It still doesn't address the big issue of "Tormund and co aren't going to just walk away after seeing Jon get shanked" or the bigger issue of "there's an injured giant right nearby who just ripped a knight in half."

If the followup to that scene isn't a bloodbath at Castle Black I'd be surprised.

There's a theory going around that Jon feels super cold right at the end because the Others showed up as the Watch betrayed itself. It would be hilarious if the Watch/Wildling fight gets pre-empted by the zombie horde.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he probably feels cold because all of the blood is draining out of his body, as he got stabbed a bunch of times

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

jsoh posted:

he probably feels cold because all of the blood is draining out of his body, as he got stabbed a bunch of times

It's a really stupid theory.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bartlebyshop posted:

There's a theory going around that Jon feels super cold right at the end because the Others showed up as the Watch betrayed itself. It would be hilarious if the Watch/Wildling fight gets pre-empted by the zombie horde.

That's... uh...

bartlebyshop posted:

It's a really stupid theory.

Yeah this.

Gonna be great when they get fully underway filming the next season since every day Kit Harrington isn't on set will add to the "Jon is dead for good" fire. Though if he's really dead for good and I was running the show I'd have him come by for a day and maybe try on some NW outfits while talking to the actors. gently caress with people even more than the Benjen stuff in that episode.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

I also heard it was cold at the wall

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So who exactly are the editors on these books? I recall googling them a few times and not finding dick, which would be appropriate I suppose.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I also heard it was cold at the wall

and it's a huge cliche in movies and TV to say "I feel cold" as you go into shock and die

bad theory, bad

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mind the walrus posted:

So who exactly are the editors on these books? I recall googling them a few times and not finding dick, which would be appropriate I suppose.

It's some lady whose name I don't remember but her input is incredibly minimal, someone went to the library that hosts the original ASOIAF manuscripts and scanned the books where they had interesting footnotes written by GURM or his editor and every single suggestion she's made was bluntly overruled by gurm, like she counted all the instances of his usage of 'words are wind' and noted that he used it like 20 times and he should perhaps remove some and next to her comment gurm simply wrote 'NO'.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2rtcaa/i_went_to_the_cushing_library_and_went_through/

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

and it's a huge cliche in movies and TV to say "I feel cold" as you go into shock and die

bad theory, bad

he is playing with the trope yo!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Countdown to "he's subverting our expectations by playing to our expectations" as a cop-out for him not knowing what the gently caress else to do and tying up the story as quick as possible.

It's coming right behind "it's about the journey, not the destination."

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
can someone please explain how GRRM has ever subverted any tropes?

seems like something fantasy nerds who have never read anything good say.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The first book is pretty big about the whole "protagonists makes plans, plans fail, protagonist either dies or tries to have sex with her comatose husband" thing. There's also that thing where every time two starks are meant to be reunited one or more of them dies instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TommyGun85 posted:

Everyone thought Ned was the main character. Because most books have main characters.
Then he died!

I know I was surprised when I first read it in the late 90s.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

"You need talent to be a published author."

See also: E.L. James.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
His blog doesn't sound like he has finished this next turd and Sanderson once said you need to book a printing press like a year in advance, doubt we'll see a book in October.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The only promise that I think you could reliably hold GRRM to is that when the book is done, he will make a very official announcement on his blog. You won't hear about it from random sites online.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tahirovic posted:

His blog doesn't sound like he has finished this next turd and Sanderson once said you need to book a printing press like a year in advance, doubt we'll see a book in October.

I'm sure they could find someone to print TWoW with zero notice. It's pretty much guaranteed to sell a shitload of copies.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Max posted:

The only promise that I think you could reliably hold GRRM to is that when the book is done, he will make a very official announcement on his blog. You won't hear about it from random sites online.

To be fair, he promised as soon as he knew anything solid on Dance's release date he'd post it on his site, publisher's wishes be damned. And he did, even though the book wasn't finished yet.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Evil Fluffy posted:

only works because his burned hand is apparently unable to draw a sword since he didn't keep flexing it for months
Wait, this is really a theory? How can that be squared with him taking on 3 trainees at once the day before? Call me crazy but I always assumed his fingers were unresponsive because he'd just been STABBED IN THE THROAT

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Iggles posted:

Wait, this is really a theory? How can that be squared with him taking on 3 trainees at once the day before? Call me crazy but I always assumed his fingers were unresponsive because he'd just been STABBED IN THE THROAT

It's not that he can't draw, it's that his hand stiffens up if he doesn't constantly flex it. He was able to take on 3 trainees because he had already drawn his sword without them surprising him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't think it was a physical issue that prevented Jon from drawing his sword. There's a difference between holding off three guys in sparring, when you're prepared and they're not trying to kill you, and defending yourself from an unexpected betrayal during a chaotic situation. He's pretty obviously stunned by what's going on and his immediate observation is that his attacker is reluctant. Jon hasn't figured out what is happening yet and that's what slows him down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TommyGun85 posted:

He made Obi-Wan seem like (one of) the main character for part of one book.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The first book is pretty big about the whole "protagonists makes plans, plans fail, protagonist either dies or tries to have sex with her comatose husband" thing. There's also that thing where every time two starks are meant to be reunited one or more of them dies instead.

There's also the part where Robb gathers an army to avenge his dead father against the evil Lannisters and instead gets killed without achieving anything.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
robb gathered an army to defend his grandfathers holdings from the lannisters , daddy died after he was already on the march

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

jsoh posted:

robb gathered an army to defend his grandfathers holdings from the lannisters , daddy died after he was already on the march

Nope. He raised the army to negotiate for his father's release from a position of strength.

Anyway, moment #3... I guess Moqorro turning the ship's sail into a fiery dragon and flying off into the storm was kinda neat.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bartlebyshop posted:

you know - that might be possible. I know that being cold is a cliche and all, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were a transition into his warging, but mixed in with some Other's poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

loving anything to get the Others into the books would be fine by me. They could all of a sudden teleport in through giant portals and I'd hand wave it off because then at least something interesting was happening with them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey dudes, I've read the first three books - how far into season 4 of the show can I go without running into major spoilers?

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
nothing happens in the next two books so you can just watch all of it

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

actionjackson posted:

Hey dudes, I've read the first three books - how far into season 4 of the show can I go without running into major spoilers?

do yourself a favor and just stop reading now. 3rd book is the best, and whatever ending you imagine will be better than what you get.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
outside of Tyrion, dance was better than season 5 of the show, sad as that may be

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 14, 2015

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

4+5 are decent stories there's just absolutely no conclusion. Enough of it is different that watching the show isn't going to really ruin anything for you. Might as well read them so you can fall into the pit of despair and loathing the rest of us are wallowing in.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

outside of Tyrion, dance was better than season 5 of the show, sad as that may be

Theon's arc was much, much better in the books and it's worth not being spoiled for, IMO, just because it's the only truly good, suspenseful writing GRRM has managed since ASOS.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

actionjackson posted:

leave this thread now before it's too late

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's some lady whose name I don't remember but her input is incredibly minimal, someone went to the library that hosts the original ASOIAF manuscripts and scanned the books where they had interesting footnotes written by GURM or his editor and every single suggestion she's made was bluntly overruled by gurm, like she counted all the instances of his usage of 'words are wind' and noted that he used it like 20 times and he should perhaps remove some and next to her comment gurm simply wrote 'NO'.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2rtcaa/i_went_to_the_cushing_library_and_went_through/

Looks more like OK, but NO would have been funnier.

Handwriting of a crazy person.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

kcroy posted:

you know - that might be possible. I know that being cold is a cliche and all, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were a transition into his warging, but mixed in with some Other's poo poo.

I think it's a dumb theory but I would like to see the Others show up to wreck some poo poo and the stabbers very quickly discover who they were supposed to be fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Handwriting of a crazy person.

And of someone who has a hard time spelling "stet". He studied and taught journalism, ffs.