Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aaaaaag. So I have a 90-ship fleet and Spain has a 75-ship fleet in the Mediterranean. Their fleet is about 35/25/0/15 and mine is about 10/25/35/20. If I attack them, does the galley bonus make up for my lack of big ships? We're both DIP 21 and I don't know how exactly these calculations work. I've already screwed up one war by losing my fleet to Spain+Portugal and I don't want to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aaaaaag. So I have a 90-ship fleet and Spain has a 75-ship fleet in the Mediterranean. Their fleet is about 35/25/0/15 and mine is about 10/25/35/20. If I attack them, does the galley bonus make up for my lack of big ships? We're both DIP 21 and I don't know how exactly these calculations work. I've already screwed up one war by losing my fleet to Spain+Portugal and I don't want to do it again.

Their 25 heavies are worth way, way more than 35 galleys. Stay away

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

25 big ships will mop the seafloor with 35 galleys, even in an inland sea. You'd want like a 3-1 ratio of galleys to big ships to win.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong but pretty sure stack wipes occur when:

1) All of your army's morale is depleted after the first two dice rolls (6 days). You can take advantage of this yourself to wipe enemy stacks, send in one large army, send another in to arrive exactly 6 days (or fewer) later.

2) Your army is 10% the size of the opponents or smaller.

It's possible that you just got really unlucky with dice rolls and had all your morale depleted in the first few days, but that seems unlikely if you're at tech parity and sending similarly sized armies against each other in not-terrible terrain. If you're not running at full maintenance that dramatically reduces your morale and it's much easier to get wiped. Again it's easier to show screenshots :)

I'll take screenshots if it happens again. In the meantime I'll try and keep those conditions from happening. I think in all these instances the enemies did get reinforcements quickly, so it may have been that first one.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ming is surprisingly hard to take down in this patch. I punched them until their war exhaustion was at 20 but unfortunately the only thing that can break the Mandate is low stability, which is extremely difficult to affect. I took Beijing out of spite but that didn't really help. It's annoying that the player has no option to remove the Mandate - you just have to get lucky.

This Ayutthaya game is a lot of fun though, balancing karma is a bit of a pain but the bonuses are worth it. It almost makes me wish that Buddhist countries got a special CB to release nations for low cost, since it's a karma boost for them but normally the dip costs make it a fake option.

Surprise vassal MVP has been Ternate, who got their colonist and are busy filling out Manila and Taiwan for me. Too bad it's all Animist!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Should I do it?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

TTBF posted:

I'll take screenshots if it happens again. In the meantime I'll try and keep those conditions from happening. I think in all these instances the enemies did get reinforcements quickly, so it may have been that first one.

What was your army composition like? It's a lot easier to stack-wipe someone who doesn't fill the back row with cannons after a certain tech, I want to say 14 or thereabouts. This is because cannons give 1/2 of their pips defensively to the front line.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Average Bear posted:

Should I do it?

It's pretty dumb that your government rank drops if you are the emperor and add your capital to the empire.

The emperor should have a max government rank of emperor regardless of whether you are an elector or not.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DeeEmTee posted:

What was your army composition like? It's a lot easier to stack-wipe someone who doesn't fill the back row with cannons after a certain tech, I want to say 14 or thereabouts. This is because cannons give 1/2 of their pips defensively to the front line.

I can't recall for the Ottomans game, but for the England/Austria battles my composition was either 10/4/10 or 15/5/15.

Oh god, I'm an idiot. That's nowhere near max combat width. My front line must have gotten overrun to gently caress and back in any fight where I was outnumbered.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the best way to help your colonial nation (Bharalia :downs:) win a war if you enforcing peace isn't an option due to their overlord (England) being way stronger than me (Bharat)?

Only real way is to subsidize them or send gifts. Note that this can end up making a huge difference. Also note that England might jump in should their colony do poorly so you might end up with the problem you're trying to avoid.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Nitrousoxide posted:

The emperor should have a max government rank of emperor regardless of whether you are an elector or not.

It was kind of weird to me to be locked in as a Duke of Bavaria when Bavaria had been the most powerful state in Germany for centuries.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Chaining most of the boring history railroading to Lucky Nations and making Lucky Nations optional for achievements would make this game a lot more fun. I personally prefer seeing all those weird things like Tunisian Iceland or Hanseatic Socotra.

Some things should be fixed in general tough, like Austria conquering the HRE instead of expanding it. Maybe there should be more missions and rewards for that, make sure there's enough incentive for the AI to keep Italy in the HRE. It might also make sense if the emperor could offer outside countries an HRE membership via diplomatic option and/or enforce that in a war. It would be interesting if you could for example enforce the HRE membership of Venice via war, while keeping them alive.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alikchi posted:

It was kind of weird to me to be locked in as a Duke of Bavaria when Bavaria had been the most powerful state in Germany for centuries.
Well, it's entirely historic. Any Bavaria within the HRE is just a duchy within the Kingdom of Germany, no matter how big it gets, as long as it acknowledges the authority of the Emperor. Want to be a king? Then tell the Emperor to take a hike. Even the Prussian king was King in Prussia, not of Prussia.

Tahirovic posted:

Some things should be fixed in general tough, like Austria conquering the HRE instead of expanding it. Maybe there should be more missions and rewards for that, make sure there's enough incentive for the AI to keep Italy in the HRE. It might also make sense if the emperor could offer outside countries an HRE membership via diplomatic option and/or enforce that in a war. It would be interesting if you could for example enforce the HRE membership of Venice via war, while keeping them alive.
That would be pretty cool.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Tahirovic posted:

Chaining most of the boring history railroading to Lucky Nations and making Lucky Nations optional for achievements would make this game a lot more fun. I personally prefer seeing all those weird things like Tunisian Iceland or Hanseatic Socotra.

Lucky nations exist to balance out the inherent advantage a sentient player has over a computer game AI. If you want to play with weird stuff happening, destroy all lucky nations or don't play on ironman and turn it off.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

firestruck posted:

Lucky nations exist to balance out the inherent advantage a sentient player has over a computer game AI. If you want to play with weird stuff happening, destroy all lucky nations or don't play on ironman and turn it off.

IIRC if you destroy a lucky nation that trait gets handed to the next one down the list.

e: wiki says this was phased out in 1.4 though, so I could be wrong

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

firestruck posted:

Lmao if you think the pathetic lucky bonuses even come close to balancing the ai against the most mildly competent player.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lmao if you think the pathetic lucky bonuses even come close to balancing the ai against the most mildly competent player.
Playing Ironman should include the risk that a Paradox employee takes control of an AI for however long they feel like playing, without making it known to the player.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol if you don't think weird stuff happens with lucky nations turned on

I've had the Papal States conquer Tunisia and all of Greece from the Ottomans in an Ironman game, really wish I still could find that screenshot of it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Playing Ironman should include the risk that a Paradox employee takes control of an AI for however long they feel like playing, without making it known to the player.

most of them probably suck too

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Lucky Nation bonuses would be more fun if they'd be redistributed every decade or so, instead of some of the most powerful nations getting even more bonuses.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

most of them probably suck too
Still probably more a threat than the AI, especially if you don't realize one of your rivals has just achieved sentience. Some of their QA testers probably aren't too bad at the game either though.

Tahirovic posted:

Lucky Nation bonuses would be more fun if they'd be redistributed every decade or so, instead of some of the most powerful nations getting even more bonuses.
The whole point of them is that it allows the AI to build up a stronger country over time though, not just the immediate effect of the bonus itself.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Isn't there a huge bug now where the AI pretty much goes braindead if you play for a long time. Might be why you're finding it so easy, although you can dominate the AI just in the first half hour too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's pretty dumb that your government rank drops if you are the emperor and add your capital to the empire.

The tooltip is ambiguous, but if you become emperor are you able to re-increase your government level back to whatever the present cap is (based on development, obviously)? As in if you start with 1000 development, join HRE and drop to duchy, you should be able to get back to empire by pressing the button unless being a duchy is hardcoded for everyone but Bohemia and Austria. In which case that's really dumb.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sheep posted:

The tooltip is ambiguous, but if you become emperor are you able to re-increase your government level back to whatever the present cap is (based on development, obviously)? As in if you start with 1000 development, join HRE and drop to duchy, you should be able to get back to empire by pressing the button unless being a duchy is hardcoded for everyone but Bohemia and Austria. In which case that's really dumb.

You're stuck as a duchy unless you're an elector, in which case you can be a kingdom. Nobody can be an emperor. Austria is, in fact, stuck at duchy (archduchy, in fact)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yashichi posted:

Their 25 heavies are worth way, way more than 35 galleys. Stay away

I ended up not even needing to attack them anyway. I was trying to wrest the last province I needed for Conquer Algeria from Spain. Spain is allied with Naples. Naples is a pushover so marching my troops over to Italy and occupying the mainland was enough war score for Spain to hand over the province without needing a naval victory or invading Iberia.

Spain decided its best course of action in response to my invasion of southern Italy was to send their fleet of 90 ships around the Cape and invade Iraq.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
A couple of gripes about allied warfare AI, these are nothing new but it'd be nice to have them tweaked at some point. Allied armies just don't seem to coordinate with each other well or at all.

1) Dogpiling on one or two forts, way more troops than are needed to siege it effectively, eating huge attrition and tying up armies that would be more effective doing literally anything else.

2) No reaction to nearby armies engaging in battle. Sometimes the allied AI will react and come help, often not. It's really frustrating to watch a 60k French deathstack kill you and your allies ~20k stacks one by one because neighboring armies just sit there and watch. If the allied armies moved to participate it'd be an easy win, instead they often stay spread out and let themselves get wrecked piecemeal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

A couple of gripes about allied warfare AI, these are nothing new but it'd be nice to have them tweaked at some point. Allied armies just don't seem to coordinate with each other well or at all.

1) Dogpiling on one or two forts, way more troops than are needed to siege it effectively, eating huge attrition and tying up armies that would be more effective doing literally anything else.

2) No reaction to nearby armies engaging in battle. Sometimes the allied AI will react and come help, often not. It's really frustrating to watch a 60k French deathstack kill you and your allies ~20k stacks one by one because neighboring armies just sit there and watch. If the allied armies moved to participate it'd be an easy win, instead they often stay spread out and let themselves get wrecked piecemeal.

Once and a while you also see a tiny stack just suicide itself into a larger one, even when there's no allies near by to reinforce. It's insane.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Apropos achievements, since someone wrote earlier that they saw no need for them. For me at least they offer some fun goals to aim for, especially when I am out of good ideas of my own. Often I start out doing the achievement and then stuff comes up that seems fun to do and off we go. E.g., my Take that, Habsburgs game turned into taking the role of defending the HRE's borders and punishing anyone who reformed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't usually care about achievements but I'm all about them in this game, probably cause every run takes so long that it wouldn't feel right without having a list I can point at and say "here's what I did".

It's really dumb but most achievements are well thought out and help you find interesting new ways to approach the game, so there's that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd be all about achievements but monthly autosaves is rough on my dinky laptop.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's rough on my not dinky computer too. If I tune it out it doesn't bother me, but the moment I notice it's autosaving it'll start driving me crazy again. I really don't understand why they can't just change it at least to like every 3 months or something.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
There is definitely something weird and broken about rivals when countries get big. I am playing my second Ethiopia game, and in the first I get rivaled by landlocked Poland-Lithuania when the closest province I owned was Cairo.

This game I got rivaled by Austria. I would almost get a colonizing nation because I beat them to South Africa; however, I still don't border a single European province in Africa, I'm even less close to Europe or the Mediterranean than last time, and I get rivaled by non-colonial Austria on another continent.

I'm assuming this has to do with who the game considers a "valid" rival, and as a large Empire--in south east Africa--I'm one of the only states that is big enough to qualify as an Austrian rival.

I really don't think this makes much sense, tbh.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Apparantly I suck at optimizing trade: I feel like I should be earning much more than this:

Where should I put my merchants and trading port? I really have no clue.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
What would you do?

I am Brandenburg. It is around 1530, I have the provinces to form Prussia but not the Diplo tech.

I lead a Personal Union with France. I have them at 85% Liberty Desire with Castille and Sweden supporting them. So far they've been good but I am allied with Austia and about six other HRE members in case there is an independence war.

I'm stretching my budget thin by getting my military up to lower the Liberty Desire. I am one level behind them in Diplo tech, which is lagging due to me needing multiple allies.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Use France to conquer Poland, and use that as a base to get swole.

Walh Hara posted:

Apparantly I suck at optimizing trade: I feel like I should be earning much more than this:

Where should I put my merchants and trading port? I really have no clue.

You should post a picture of the Trade map mode, that will tell us more. The general goal is to funnel as much Trade Value as possible into a node where you have a dominant share of the Trade Power, and collect there. My instinct is that that node will be either Hormuz or Indus.

But maximizing trade value also requires you to pull in as much value from upstream as possible. So you should make sure you're pulling lots of value out of Malacca, rather than having it all zip over to Zanzibar.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 13, 2015

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What would you do?

I am Brandenburg. It is around 1530, I have the provinces to form Prussia but not the Diplo tech.

I lead a Personal Union with France. I have them at 85% independence with Castille and Sweden supporting them. So far they've been good but I am allied with Austia and about six other HRE members in case there is an independence war.

Declare war on Castille and/or Sweden yourself. Because:
- If you don't you'll have to fight France, Castille and Sweden at the same time, if you do you'll only have to fight one + allies at the time.
- Fighting Castille wil probably weaken France's military, making them less inclined to start a war with you.
- France get's diplomatic penalties with Castille and Sweden that way, I think.
- Being in a war together improves your relation.
- If you lose, consider ceding/releasing some parts of France in the settlement.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

PittTheElder posted:

Use France to conquer Poland, and use that as a base to get swole.

France won't help if Liberty Desire is over 50%.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
The problem is that France will join in on wars but not commit any military to anything outside their borders. Going to war with Castille may be a good idea as that will have Spanish forces encroach onto French soil. I wonder if France has any CB/Claims/Cores on Castille.

Too bad I rivaled Aragon very recently else I could probably use them in this situation. Maybe Portugal will join in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Obliterati posted:

France won't help if Liberty Desire is over 50%.

Ah, then yeah, attack Castile. If you lose, or even if you win, try and release minors from northern France. Though I don't know if the peace deal would let you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Releasing minors = Making France smaller = Making their Liberty Desire smaller?

• Locked thread