Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Hope we get the crowdfunded album in 2015. Black Hole Man will loving slay on record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
You think it's likely? To be kind only came out last year. It does seem like longer (for me anyway), I even had to google to be sure.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Gira said in Berlin last week (in german!) that they will start recording in september.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010

sharktamer posted:

You think it's likely? To be kind only came out last year. It does seem like longer (for me anyway), I even had to google to be sure.

No chance of the studio record, but I'm hoping Gira gives me another chance to sink $500 into the live/demo release.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I can't believe this guy is gonna pump out another killer record less than 2 years after To Be Kind, which came out less than 2 years after The Seer. Gira is incredible.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
New album out in Sept, and will be the final album & tour for this incarnation of Swans

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

AtomicRust posted:

New album out in Sept, and will be the final album & tour for this incarnation of Swans

They're recording in September, album will probably come out next year. I'm interested in seeing where Gira takes things next after this album; I love the current incarnation of the band but it seems like a good idea to shake things up before they start to get too repetitive.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I like the idea of another album in the same iteration of this Swans, and then leaving it at that - A perfect trilogy of soul annihilating records.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010

Mutation posted:

I like the idea of another album in the same iteration of this Swans, and then leaving it at that - A perfect trilogy of soul annihilating records.

Plus a pretty good warmup album to boot

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

Mutation posted:

The new one would make it a quadrilogy.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

cf posted:

The new one would make it a quadrilogy.

My Father doesn't really count; it's basically an Angels of Light album that became a Swans album halfway through recording.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sad that this version of Swans will be done, but there's something to be said about accomplishing all you can artistically and moving on. I will definitely be supporting their next Kickstarter.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sad that this version of Swans will be done, but there's something to be said about accomplishing all you can artistically and moving on. I will definitely be supporting their next Kickstarter.

Yeah, if you look back at their discography they never really did the same thing for more than a handful of albums. Looking forward to this one and then whatever Gira does next.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

HorseRenoir posted:

My Father doesn't really count; it's basically an Angels of Light album that became a Swans album halfway through recording.

It has the exact same members and sounds close enough not to be pedantic about it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

Nah it's swans. They titled it so, personnel change doesn't matter.

Glad there's a new record coming. They are prolific. I love how they go about funding and creating music.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nah it's swans. They titled it so, personnel change doesn't matter.

Glad there's a new record coming. They are prolific. I love how they go about funding and creating music.

Obviously it's still Swans, it just doesn't really feel cut from the same cloth as Seer/TBK to me.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The Seer and To Be Kind are both 2 hours long (each featuring one 30min song) and have a face as their covers so it feels like they're linked. If the newest fits those criteria as well I'd consider it a trilogy.

My Father Will Guide Me... is The Hobbit
The Seer-To Be Kind-??? is The Lord of the Rings

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Based on the tracks they played on their last tour the 'final' album will be similar to The Seer and To Be Kind. That's more than enough to get me excited.

Wouldn't mind if Gira goes back to Angels of Light for a while...

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm a big fan of New Mother and How I Loved You, but as they kept making albums I started to check out of the AoL.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I like the AoL records that have less to do with swans than anything, "angels sing other people", is probably one of my favorite records ever so far in life, and my second favorite from the AoL would be "Everything is good here"

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I recorded two songs recently that somebody said gave them Public Castration Is A Good Idea vibes although that wasn't my intention, but I'll accept it.

https://pleasuredomenoise.bandcamp.com/album/walls

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
You had me at "Public Castration"

:fap:

Skttrbrain
Apr 6, 2008

The new fundraiser album is up.

http://younggodrecords.com/products/the-gate

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
Ordered the live album + new stuff deal immediately after I noticed the YGR email coming in this morning. Can't wait.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I'm Executive Producing

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Very nice of Gira to show us how to take a picture.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm Executive Producing

Me too. I hope they don't put me next to your stank rear end name.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm gonna EP as well. Honestly I'd rather have Gira paint himself in that photo than me.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

I, too, am Executive Producing :chord:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Are the live albums done and shipping soon? I didn't see anything about when we should expect to get them.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Three Executive Producers in a row :cheeky:

They usually ship a week or so after they sell out.

E: scratch that, the website says they'll be shipping October 1st.

Spam fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 8, 2015

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

quote:

Swans' Norman Westberg Announces Solo LP 13

http://pitchfork.com/news/61253-swans-norman-westberg-announces-solo-lp-13/

Well, it's drone. Maybe someone here likes it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
So, Swans fans, I've recently gotten hold of Au De La by BIG|BRAVE, which is basically the most ferocious thing since Filth and Cop. I can't say enough about this album, it's absolutely mental, and if you like Swans you should really loving hear it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So, Swans fans, I've recently gotten hold of Au De La by BIG|BRAVE, which is basically the most ferocious thing since Filth and Cop. I can't say enough about this album, it's absolutely mental, and if you like Swans you should really loving hear it.

This is pretty good. In a semi-related note thanks to a spotify swans-based radio showing up melt banana, and then a melt banana-based radio, I'm now listening to a lot of noise rock and math rock.

OMG
Jul 14, 2007
Big Brave sound pretty awesome. I'll be ordering Au de La soon!

Got an email that ny copy of The Gate was shipped. USPS' estimated delivery date is Tuesday. Can't wait.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Got notice mine shipped, with expected delivery on Tuesday, but from tracking information it looks like it'll be here this afternoon!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Got it, ripped it, listening now woo

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

^ How devastating is it?

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Bring the Sun/Black Eyed Man is an absolute monster, unbelievable. Hyped already about the final album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
Messaged Swans on Facebook last night asking about possible vinyl issues of the later 90s albums (Soundtracks onward), because I wasn't sure if that had ever been addressed. Gira responded, and confirmed that, gradually, all the Swans releases will be seeing vinyl issues!

Super excited to see how the Soundtracks packaging will be done!

• Locked thread