Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Earth Job: Dragoon! ...Ah, crap, with a team of Mystic/Zerker/Bard/Dragoon, I've got no multi-target damage aside from Requiem. And this team has poo poo for synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Alright, the team of Dragoon/Red Mage/Dancer/Dancer has gotten to world 3, and I've gotten 3 Rainbow Dresses, 3 Ribbons, and the Chicken Knife. I mostly have an idea of how I want to approach this going forward, but is there any conceivable way of downing Omega with this lineup? I don't see it happening unless the chicken knife dancer somehow gets several sword dances in a row without dying mercilessly.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Out of curiosity, anyone know if Bard Songs affect Dragoons if they're on a Jump?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Ninja | Ranger | Dragoon | Dancer

Just cleared the Fork Tower, now it's time for bed. Just gotta grab the Artemis Bow and I'll be set for the Void.

None of them have the HP to survive Almagest, so I'm going to have to time Jump to let the Dragoon survive or hope the Aegis Shield does it..

Using the Thief Knife to steal Dragon Lances to fight Shinryu sounds incredibly not fun but I might end up doing it anyway.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Victory #2

I went in and totally forgot that my dragoon was wearing bone mail. She got one shotted pretty much instantly and couldn't be revived so I made do with the others. Once NED phase started I broke almagest with break sword and cut magic in half with Magic lamp and just randomly attacked the other two parts without keeping count of damage because I'm dumb. Flare sword on MK and gale cut from the geo did most of the damage. I got lucky when the last part went into gently caress you mode because it used vacuum wave twice on the same character and then died to a single flare attack. Apparently I'd been doint roughly equal damage.

I'm really happy with beating it this time on what I consider to be very low level. It was fun thinking of ways to get around having very little health.

The final team was:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Novasol posted:

Alright, the team of Dragoon/Red Mage/Dancer/Dancer has gotten to world 3, and I've gotten 3 Rainbow Dresses, 3 Ribbons, and the Chicken Knife. I mostly have an idea of how I want to approach this going forward, but is there any conceivable way of downing Omega with this lineup? I don't see it happening unless the chicken knife dancer somehow gets several sword dances in a row without dying mercilessly.

physical teams that have enough hp from some post NED grinding and a nice stock of 30+ Elixirs can equip a set of reflect rings, sandbag with Elixirs and Phoenix downs until search reflects from a party member onto Omega, and then attack with as much as they've got as he counterattacks his target of "search". You can also try quadreflecting thundaras by giving everyone !Red during the one turn per cycle that Search / counterattacks are reflected onto Omega.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Earth Job: Dragoon! ...Ah, crap, with a team of Mystic/Zerker/Bard/Dragoon, I've got no multi-target damage aside from Requiem. And this team has poo poo for synergy.

I actually had a team like this earlier on in my Fiesta runs, though with a Red Mage instead of a Zerker, which is arguably worse.

Zerk really wants Equip Harps for the Agility and Rune Axe damage boost. Mystic Knight wants !Jump, since !Jump bypasses Chicken Knife procs, meaning you can Flare Blade that Chicken Knife all you want. Bard and 'goon are pretty self-sufficient, you could make your Goon a backup singer if you wanted.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 13, 2015

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Shoulda probably cleared this up earlier but am I allowed to have 4x the same class in a no750 run, for example 4x ninjas?

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

ok after a reroll my first job is now Knight. Let the unbreakable guard strategy now commence!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gortarius posted:

Shoulda probably cleared this up earlier but am I allowed to have 4x the same class in a no750 run, for example 4x ninjas?

The only runs that will allow duplicates are chaos and random, berserker risk excepted.

Oh, and Classic I guess but that's by nature a Natural run and why would you play Natural what's wrong with you.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

KataraniSword posted:

The only runs that will allow duplicates are chaos and random, berserker risk excepted.

Oh, and Classic I guess but that's by nature a Natural run and why would you play Natural what's wrong with you.

I guess it didn't matter in the end since after getting my rear end handed to me several times in the rift and by exdeath I spent a good amount of time just farming for gold and exp. Went and bough as many fuma shurikens as I could before venturing back to exdeath for round #2495. Throw on three characters, gil toss on two, haste sandals on all. Ran out of fuma shurikens, ran out of money but throwing excalibur and excalipoor and whatever else junk I had was enough before he started the meteor spam.

Is there some deal with ninjas or samurais or katanas where the hit-% goes down a lot? There was a bunch of bosses and enemies I couldn't hit a single time no matter how many times I tried and I didn't really figure out if it because they were a ninja, or a samurai, or they had a katana, or dual-wielding. I thought maybe they were immune to physical but then mystic and thief always got a hit in no problem.

?????

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I decided to do an unofficial run since Gilgabot hasn't got back to me. I figured Blue Mage, Berserker, Ninja and Chemist would be fun. I think I'll be able to get most of the blue magic in the game (inc white wind) with that confuse potion but I'm not sure about Mighty Guard.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I decided to do an unofficial run since Gilgabot hasn't got back to me. I figured Blue Mage, Berserker, Ninja and Chemist would be fun. I think I'll be able to get most of the blue magic in the game (inc white wind) with that confuse potion but I'm not sure about Mighty Guard.

A confused enemy uses the exact same attacks as it would if it was !Controlled, with the added caveat of being untargetable. Thus, !Control-only beneficial blue magic (Mighty Guard, White Wind, Transfusion) can be obtained through confusing things that can cast it, but !Control-only offensive blue magic (L3 Flare, 1000 Needles, Off-Guard) can't unless it's reflectable (like L3 Flare is). The only hard parts of learning Mighty Guard are finding a Stingray, keeping it confused as it pokes itself in the face (Tidal Wave just heals it so it's nothing more than a wasted turn) and then killing the drat thing afterward.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Can I get Time Mage and Thief in every run? Holy gently caress, I love these classes.

So with regards to my Berserker, is it going to be a better endgame move to give her Two-Handed, Artful Dodger, or !Time 6? I can see valid uses of any of them, but I'm guessing Artful Dodger is the least useful.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Poque posted:

Can I get Time Mage and Thief in every run? Holy gently caress, I love these classes.

So with regards to my Berserker, is it going to be a better endgame move to give her Two-Handed, Artful Dodger, or !Time 6? I can see valid uses of any of them, but I'm guessing Artful Dodger is the least useful.
For random encounters (on GBA at least), I could see Dodger to be superiour because the Berserker could actually act in a timely manner then. For bosses, I would guess that !Time makes the Rune Axe really shine, more than Two-Handed, but that should be an easy test to do...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Simply Simon posted:

For random encounters (on GBA at least), I could see Dodger to be superiour because the Berserker could actually act in a timely manner then. For bosses, I would guess that !Time makes the Rune Axe really shine, more than Two-Handed, but that should be an easy test to do...

quote:

[09:53:55] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 1
[09:53:56] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 45 Strength and 1 Magic Power, your Rune weapon M is 14. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength or 129 for Magic.
[09:53:58] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 35 45 rune 48
[09:53:59] <@CarbyBot> At level 35 with 45 Strength and 48 Magic Power, your Rune weapon M is 27. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength or 38 for Magic.

Technically Two-Handed would be a slight bit better, but then the Berserker will have an itty-bitty mana pool and lose the +10 Attack Power part of the rune boost.

I'd go something like:

Knight @ Two-Handed, Excalibur(/Aegis when needed)/Crystal Helm/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Time Mage @ Equip Shields, Magus Rod/Genji (or Aegis if the Knight ain't using it) Shield/Gold Hairpin/Black Robe/Hermes Sandals
Berserker @ !Time 6, Rune Axe/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helm/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Thief @ !Mug, Chicken Knife/Black Cowl/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Technically Two-Handed would be a slight bit better, but then the Berserker will have an itty-bitty mana pool and lose the +10 Attack Power part of the rune boost.

I'd go something like:

Knight @ Two-Handed, Excalibur(/Aegis when needed)/Crystal Helm/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Time Mage @ Equip Shields, Magus Rod/Genji (or Aegis if the Knight ain't using it) Shield/Gold Hairpin/Black Robe/Hermes Sandals
Berserker @ !Time 6, Rune Axe/Aegis Shield/Crystal Helm/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals
Thief @ !Mug, Chicken Knife/Black Cowl/Black Garb/Hermes Sandals

I believe you mean RAGNAROK :getin:

But yeah, aside from deciding on the Berserker's secondary, those are exactly where I was leaning. I was trying to think if I wanted to put the Chicken Knife elsewhere for some battles since the Thief will need to be my secondary HiPotion/Elixir giver, but that makes the most sense.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

I believe you mean RAGNAROK :getin:

But yeah, aside from deciding on the Berserker's secondary, those are exactly where I was leaning. I was trying to think if I wanted to put the Chicken Knife elsewhere for some battles since the Thief will need to be my secondary HiPotion/Elixir giver, but that makes the most sense.

Yeah, you can always muddle things around but that was my "hey, this is what I'd gear out like before heading into the void" post. :v:

Also having the CK on the Thief just means they're even loving faster. A hasted Thief with the CK flies.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, you can always muddle things around but that was my "hey, this is what I'd gear out like before heading into the void" post. :v:

Also having the CK on the Thief just means they're even loving faster. A hasted Thief with the CK flies.

I can't wait. This team has been so fun so far. Only real trick is the lack of AOE, but Gaia Hammer is helping out immensely so far.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's a shame the Thor's Hammer comes so late in the game. Two-handing that thing does a lot of damage, and it ensures that your Berserker will do full damage to enemies in the back row, but you only get to use it during the last third of the final dungeon.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I finally got through Soul Cannon with my four Beastmasters last night. Y'all were right and it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, mainly because I forgot you don't actually have to do all 22k HP. I went with two Stone Golems to take out the launchers ASAP, a Rock Slug to slow the Cannon, and one Sand Bear, then I killed/revived the first person who was olded and set the second one to potion duty. Then I just wailed on him until he went down. I ended up only using five or so elixirs--letting my guys die was a better option than trying to keep them up. I think I did it around level 19 for everybody.

Archaeoavis was really hard but I got him on my first try with four Lamias (1000 Needles) and all my elixirs and hi-potions. Try to hold on to them until he hits you with Blaze, then let one go, wait until he hits you with Lightning and launch another, then when his last form appears, unleash the fury.

What's funny is that I did give up earlier in the day and reroll my fourth class. I was originally BM / Dragoon / Chemist / Chemist. So I went to the job fair for a re-roll on the second Chemist, and... I got Samurai. And now that I've paid my dues I will proceed to break this loving game in half.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

have you checked your Fiesta page? Sometimes he hits the tweet limit but it should still show up there.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

have you checked your Fiesta page? Sometimes he hits the tweet limit but it should still show up there.

Oh cool it looks like he confirmed my victories there, Thanks. He's still only showing jobs for the first run though.

edit: sent him a request for a chaos run and got thief Oh boy.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2015

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh cool it looks like he confirmed my victories there, Thanks. He's still only showing jobs for the first run though.

You won't see any others until you register for another run.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: sent him a request for a chaos run and got thief Oh boy.

After your victories are confirmed on your player page, you have to send a new tweet to register the next run. It should show up pretty quickly after that.

e;fb

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I sent him requests last night and didn't get a response until I tweeted him just now.

The only class I'm unhappy about is the dragoon. Maybe I'll actually donate some money to charity and have him changed to something that will benefit the berserker.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 13, 2015

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Right, so I'm finally into the Rift and considering my triple crown options. I'm running Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai. I know I can lock down Omega with !Calm, but I don't see any way I can crack that defense. Maybe the Samurai with a maxed-out Chicken Knife, but that's going to be hellishly slow going if it even works. Throwing cash seems like it would take rather an absurd amount of grinding to get there.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
gently caress byblos with four white mages

that is all

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have a feeling ninja would benefit my party more than a Knight.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is there a way to get lvl 3 flare off the red dragons in Barrier Tower?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nihilarian posted:

Is there a way to get lvl 3 flare off the red dragons in Barrier Tower?

Control + Reflect, I believe.

EDIT: Apparently it's insane. "Now, we'll want to learn Level 3 Flare. It will need to bounce back onto a Learning character from a Reflect barrier, which we can only be set at this stage of the game by the Mix outcome Dragon Armor (Phoenix Down + Dragon Fang), or !Release a Neon and have it use Reflect on a character with a Reflect Ring, thus setting Reflect on the Red Dragon. When Reflect is set on the Red Dragon, have it cast Level 3 Flare and revive the fallen."

Poque fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 13, 2015

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

theshim posted:

gently caress byblos with four white mages

that is all

Garula with only white mages was miserable enough. I am so so sorry for you. (What'd you end up rolling at fire crystal? Last you mentioned to me you'd rolled White/Bard so far.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ArashiKurobara posted:

Garula with only white mages was miserable enough. I am so so sorry for you. (What'd you end up rolling at fire crystal? Last you mentioned to me you'd rolled White/Bard so far.)
Samurai.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Poque posted:

Control + Reflect, I believe.
sorry, I should have said "is there any way a blue mage/red mage/bard/dancer can get lvl 3 flare off of the red dragons in Barrier Tower?"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nihilarian posted:

sorry, I should have said "is there any way a blue mage/red mage/bard/dancer can get lvl 3 flare off of the red dragons in Barrier Tower?"

Nope, sadly. I just edited in the real way to do it and it's crazy, would require a Chemist or Beastmaster.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Poque posted:

Nope, sadly. I just edited in the real way to do it and it's crazy, would require a Chemist or Beastmaster.
drat, I grinded Faris up to 30 for nothing. Oh well, it might make Atomos easier.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tempest_56 posted:

Right, so I'm finally into the Rift and considering my triple crown options. I'm running Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai. I know I can lock down Omega with !Calm, but I don't see any way I can crack that defense. Maybe the Samurai with a maxed-out Chicken Knife, but that's going to be hellishly slow going if it even works. Throwing cash seems like it would take rather an absurd amount of grinding to get there.

Neither the Chicken Knife nor Zeninage will have enough attack power to overcome Omega's ludicrous defense. If you give your Red Mage a Reflect Ring, he can reflect Thundaras onto Omega. It's a guaranteed victory, but it'll take quite a while.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Neither the Chicken Knife nor Zeninage will have enough attack power to overcome Omega's ludicrous defense. If you give your Red Mage a Reflect Ring, he can reflect Thundaras onto Omega. It's a guaranteed victory, but it'll take quite a while.

Yeah, looks like about 1200 damage a bolt at level 35.

If you want something that can be done holding down rapid fire A, you could wield a Coral Sword and do about 740 damage a swing at level 35.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I completely forgot about the Coral Sword. That might actually be faster, just because then you can put Haste on the Red Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I sent him requests last night and didn't get a response until I tweeted him just now.

The only class I'm unhappy about is the dragoon. Maybe I'll actually donate some money to charity and have him changed to something that will benefit the berserker.

The thief's Artful Dodger is good for berserkers.

• Locked thread