Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oh good. I look forward to playing even more matches of legacy where the game ends because my opponent was skillful enough to be able to tap 2U and have a broken card in their hand.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I agree they should have reprinted cards that are banned in legacy

Personally I don't see a difference between "printing actually good cards" and "reprinting Timetwister."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
eidolon of making GBS threads fire, keranos, tasigur, mentor, a billion things from RTR

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

There's also references to Sneak Attack, Demonic Tutor, and Opalescence.

Which one is Sneak Attack?

Also Honored Heirarch is a clear reference to Noble Heirarch, why is there debate on this lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time Legacy had a playable card printed that wasn't Dig Through Time/Banned Cruise, anyway?

Eidolen of revels is the first thing that comes to my mind

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

When was the last time Legacy had a playable card printed that wasn't Dig Through Time/Banned Cruise, anyway?

Monastery Mentor :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I completely forgot burn and delver are decks in legacy, apparently.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dig is dead long live dig.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Anyone want to buy a U/R Twin deck? ONLY FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF ALL OF YOUR TEARS

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also Honored Heirarch is a clear reference to Noble Heirarch, why is there debate on this lol

This. He's a Heirarch, from Bant, who jas a +1/+1 ability under the right conditions, taps for mana and costs one G.

I think the big issue though is people bitching (though not people here necessarily) that they made a lovely/differnt Noble Heirarch and then arguing about whether or not it should be directly compared to it's fore-bearer.

The answer is if your deck wants Honored Heirarach, it would be better with Noble

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm still confused as to why people would think a younger Noble Hierarch would be stronger than an older one.

Maybe Bant was still a Baby Bant, with Baby Hierarchs and Baby Derevis.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Mono Red blows me up in Cube yet again :negative:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I guess this one.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
No B&R changes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

The answer is if your deck wants Honored Heirarach, it would be better with Noble

I don't think there's really a deck that wants Honored in the first place, especially considering the only deck that really wants Noble is infect, as far as I know

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

eeeeeeeeh it's a bit of a stretch, to be honest that seems closer to Splinter Twin then Sneak Attack

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

All I know is that I need to get around to picking up a foil for Norin EDH.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I got one in my first pre-release pool with Chandra's parents. :v:

My blue wasn't strong enough to play my Whirler Rogue, too. :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I'm still confused as to why people would think a younger Noble Hierarch would be stronger than an older one.

Maybe Bant was still a Baby Bant, with Baby Hierarchs and Baby Derevis.

I'm not asking for "stronger than Noble Hierach". I'm asking for a playable magic card.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Honored Heirarch won me 2 games in my prerelease. But that's limited :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I'm not asking for "stronger than Noble Hierach". I'm asking for a playable magic card.

The turn 1 mana dork will be Elvish Mystic and it'll be in BFZ, relax.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Honored Heirarch won me 2 games in my prerelease. But that's limited :v:

It's not even good in Limited.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

The turn 1 mana dork will be Elvish Mystic and it'll be in BFZ, relax.

Can we not get Elvish Mystic, and have a Joraga Treespeaker reprint instead? That card is way too much fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

I think the big issue though is people bitching (though not people here necessarily) that they made a lovely/differnt Noble Heirarch and then arguing about whether or not it should be directly compared to it's fore-bearer.

but the 2/2 mana dork with vigilance is Steward of Valeron :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's pretty good as a green aggro creature. It probably won't be in tournament decks but it's not ludicrously unplayable in the temple pass format.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
God I hate retarded people. I just had a facebook "discussion" with a local player who is just shocked Something from that Grishoalbrand deck didn't get banned, because it is soooo good. It is currently about 1.8% of the meta.

quote:

I'm not the one throwing percentages around...I'm the one saying the deck is broken and needs banned. Clearly we agree to disagree, see you at the PPTQ smile emoticon

Right, decks that don't win a lot are broken. rofl.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

God I hate retarded people. I just had a facebook "discussion" with a local player who is just shocked Something from that Grishoalbrand deck didn't get banned, because it is soooo good. It is currently about 1.8% of the meta.

At least you didn't get stuck in a Facebook discussion in your local MTG group trying to explain why having a petition to unban Zachary Jesse is a bad idea to a bunch of Fedora-havers.

"facebook rape apologist' posted:

everyone makes mistakes in their life be careful how quickly you judge someone let him back in

I lost like 6 hours of my life arguing before I gave up in disgust.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

People being Dumb about Magic isn't really new.

Still a good laugh though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Glad to see nothing banned from Amulet Bloom, though I admit it's a bit of a selfish reason. I got within ~10 cards of finishing Pod at the time it was banned (though it was the 10 most expensive cards so it wasn't like I had drop a lot of money, and was able to use the leftover cards or trade them immediately); I'm within 5 cards of finishing Amulet Bloom so I was worried that I was about to go 2-for-2. :unsmith:

eeeeeeeeh it's a bit of a stretch, to be honest that seems closer to Splinter Twin then Sneak Attack

Fair, though the similar cost to cast and to use the ability while using a 'fixed' version of Sneak Attack's ability (what we see today with stuff like Splinter Twin and Twinflame, etc.) is what caused me to compare them.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 13, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to want that deck banned. I think decks that like that are bad for the modern format no matter how much they win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I remember when birthing pod was surprisingly not banned last year when everyone said it was taking over the format, then acted surprised that it was banned this year. Hmm

Madmarker posted:

At least you didn't get stuck in a Facebook discussion in your local MTG group trying to explain why having a petition to unban Zachary Jesse is a bad idea to a bunch of Fedora-havers.

You have a lot of patience. :)

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Reprint Force of Will. There, I fixed Goryo's Vengeance.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to want that deck banned. I think decks that like that are bad for the modern format no matter how much they win.

Modern is bad with that deck in the format, but it will be that much worse if you cut yet another interesting deck from it.

Either way Modern's bad. :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Literally every set since? Kolaghan's Command, Ugin, Swiftspear and Mentor are all played in real decks.

This set is coming up short with that white 1W card being fringe playable as a sideboard card and aerial volley being a potential (but unlikely) sideboard card as well but core sets are usually a wash.

Pretty much every set though has new cards for legacy, it's just on the order of 1-3 cards instead of 40-50.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Modern is bad with that deck in the format, but it will be that much worse if you cut yet another interesting deck from it.

Either way Modern's bad. :v:

Modern is fine. I don't understand all the hate.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Four Score posted:

so do judges call judges on themselves when their opponent doesn't know how rules work or do they flash their judge promos like badges e.g. "See this promo Piledriver? It means that when I say you cannot resolve a Snapcaster without passing priority, I am not making that poo poo up!"

asking for a friend

I never make rulings on my own matches. If another Judge isn't available an experienced player or a player considering getting into the program performs the role of a Judge. It's good in that players never feel cheated when you make a ruling in your own match and also provides a good way to help L.0 candidates gain experience and feel more comfortable.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic posted:

hmm yeah modern is ruined by having high variance fun decks to detract from the rock paper scissors meta of Junkd/Twin/Tron.

Modern gets more hate than it deserves because it's not legacy but it's got a lot of interesting decks. Let's not pretend that magical christmas land reanimator decks are really that busted.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

This person is "a friend of Zach" and is going to GP Detroit with a #letzachplay shirt and playmat. He is not a great human being.

mcmagic posted:

Sure you can not like any deck you want. However I think that if you are going to have a reasonable discussion about the B&R you have to evaluate the way Wizards does, and not just "gut feelings"

Also this person brought up Pod. So I looked up some numbers. Pod top 8'd 70% of modern GP's and PT's in 2013 and 2014. The real shock is people were surprised when it was banned.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 13, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

As long as you don't want to do anything that isn't playing and swinging with creatures :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

hmm yeah modern is ruined by having high variance fun decks to detract from the rock paper scissors meta of Junkd/Twin/Tron.

Modern gets more hate than it deserves because it's got a lot of interesting decks but let's not pretend that magical christmas land reanimator decks are really that busted.

It's not busted. It's just non-interactive, non-fun magic and it shits up the format. I mean ELVES just won a GP for christ sakes, it's not like the 3 decks you mentioned even dominate anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jassi007 posted:

This person is "a friend of Zach" and is going to GP Detroit with a #letzachplay shirt and playmat. He is not a great human being.

Is he literally a friend of Zach? Because since none of us in the thread know the guy I feel like supporting your actual friend does not make you an evil person.

Actually y'know what nevermind, gently caress this. I don't give a gently caress about Zach and the last time he was the thread topic it became a shitfest.

• Locked thread