Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQv99sEPDsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVh2Qw5KSFg

There's certainly more name diversity these days compared to 100 years ago.
I don't know what's worse: a bunch of Braydens Kaydens and Aiydens or having one in five boys named John, William or James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's not William, it's Ouyll'iamn_33

sout
Apr 24, 2014

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQv99sEPDsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVh2Qw5KSFg

There's certainly more name diversity these days compared to 100 years ago.
I don't know what's worse: a bunch of Braydens Kaydens and Aiydens or having one in five boys named John, William or James.

Woo! Go, little James bubble!
We're number 1! We're number 1!

We dropped off the table for a few years there but back in 9th place in 2014.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I work at a newspaper and just got a birth announcement for an Esther. The baby is not 70 years old. Why would you curse your child with the most old lady name there is?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

I work at a newspaper and just got a birth announcement for an Esther. The baby is not 70 years old. Why would you curse your child with the most old lady name there is?

Esther is definitely on its way up. Old lady names are recycled that way after a hundred or so years. Look what happened to Emma, Sophia, and Olivia. Name your baby girl Myrtle or Bertha and she'll be totally ahead of the crowd.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Before we found out we were having a boy, Vera was a strong contender for a girl name for us. And my wife's cousin, who is just 17, was friends with an Esther.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Florida Betty posted:

Esther is definitely on its way up. Old lady names are recycled that way after a hundred or so years. Look what happened to Emma, Sophia, and Olivia. Name your baby girl Myrtle or Bertha and she'll be totally ahead of the crowd.

Did the number of Myrtles increase after Harry Potter or was she such an annoying character that it decreased?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

My sister is named Esther. She's in her 20s. She's named after my aunt Esther, who is dead. Why yes, we are Jewish, why do you ask?

What was really weird was when I moved to the Netherlands and every other 20something was named Esther; I was so used to thinking of it as a weird name for a non-old person to have.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I know a Eunice in her mid 20s. Also not a totally out there name but definitely an old lady name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

I know a Eunice in her mid 20s. Also not a totally out there name but definitely an old lady name.

I also know a Eunice in her mid 20s. When I was a kid, almost all of the "old lady names" belonged to christian kids whose parents had emigrated from China. We also had a Beatrice, a Mavis, a Phyllis, a Beryl, and an Edwina.

e: all of these women are now in their mid 20s. Also, their brothers all tended to have less outdated names (Eddie, Luke, etc.).

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think some of the old lady names are really pretty :shrug:

One of my good friends is named Eleanor, though she goes by Elly or El. She and her brother Max(well) were both named after Beatles songs.

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Crow Jane posted:

One of my good friends is named Eleanor, though she goes by Elly or El. She and her brother Max(well) were both named after Beatles songs.

Eleanor is a nice name, but Eleanor Rigby is a pretty lovely namesake! Let me know if she dies so I can at least show up to her funeral. Maxwell and his silver hammer is nearly as bad.

I'm named after lady Emma Hamilton and while I like my name I question my mum's inspiration.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

Eleanor is a nice name, but Eleanor Rigby is a pretty lovely namesake! Let me know if she dies so I can at least show up to her funeral. Maxwell and his silver hammer is nearly as bad.

I'm named after lady Emma Hamilton and while I like my name I question my mum's inspiration.''

Yeah, it always seemed a little odd to me as well, and she's said she wishes they'd gone with Julia. They're both fairly well-adjusted adults, though my friend did recently take up knitting in anticipation of what she's sure will be permanent spinsterhood.

I'm named after Prince Valiant's wife, because my dad is the kind of super cool guy who reads Prince Valiant.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
As a 38-year-old Alice, I got to experience a childhood of being told I had an "old lady" name - and now my name has broken the SSA top 100, I presume because of Twilight. I guess by the time I'm an old lady myself, people will hear my name and assume I'm in my 20s, which isn't so bad, really.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Istari posted:

I also know a Eunice in her mid 20s. When I was a kid, almost all of the "old lady names" belonged to christian kids whose parents had emigrated from China. We also had a Beatrice, a Mavis, a Phyllis, a Beryl, and an Edwina.

e: all of these women are now in their mid 20s. Also, their brothers all tended to have less outdated names (Eddie, Luke, etc.).

Yeah, the Eunice I know is Asian. Not sure if the rest of her backgorund lines up to what you said though.

Crow Jane posted:

I really like them myself. Would love to name a daughter Beatrice.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Yeah, the Eunice I know is Asian. Not sure if the rest of her backgorund lines up to what you said though.

My grandma's name was Marion, if I had a daughter I'd probably go with that.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

sout posted:

Did the number of Myrtles increase after Harry Potter or was she such an annoying character that it decreased?

You know, that didn't even occur to me. Apparently it's not in the top 1000. Neither is Hermione or Ginny, and even Harry is going downhill. Bella (Twilight) seems to have peaked, but Hazel (The Fault in Our Stars) is still on the rise. As old lady names go, I think those two are worse than Myrtle.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
My mother's name is Marion, and she's always hated it. She goes by Maria now.
I've always loved the names Aggie, Hatty, and Penny, but don't like any of the names they're derived from (Agatha, Agnes, Harriet, Henrietta, Penelope, etc.). And on the flip side, I've always liked the names Flora and Florence, but would never use them for fear of my child being called Flo.

e:

Florida Betty posted:

Hermione or Ginny, and even Harry is going downhill.

Funny sidenote to this: my sister-in-law's cousin named her children Ron and Hermione, before the two characters got together in the books. Awkward as hell.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 11, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shithouse Dave posted:

I knew of sisters named after Guns 'n' Roses songs: November Rain and Patience.

I used to life in the same city as this guy's office. I felt so sorry for his childhood.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

pookel posted:

As a 38-year-old Alice, I got to experience a childhood of being told I had an "old lady" name - and now my name has broken the SSA top 100, I presume because of Twilight. I guess by the time I'm an old lady myself, people will hear my name and assume I'm in my 20s, which isn't so bad, really.

Yeah, I would guess Twilight has made my name, Edward back in the limelight. Like fifty years ago it was in the top 20. By the time I was born it was pretty rare. Oh well, I can truthfully say "Yes, i was named after a monster. No, the other one."

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I used to life in the same city as this guy's office. I felt so sorry for his childhood.

I imagine he didn't give a drat.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Baronjutter posted:

When I went to school it was rare for anyone to have the same name, maybe max 2 in a class. Everyone had fairly normal names, nothing insane. David's and Mike's and Trevor's and of course Jennifers and Jessicas and Kates. But people managed to name their kids in a way that there were almost no doubles. We had 2 Aarons but they were spelled the same, one wasn't loving "Eyrohn".

Spelling your kids name wrong because you want an over-used/popular name but want them to be different is like when you pick an email address or nickname and it's taken so you just add some numbers at the end. Pick a different loving name.

One of the classes at my daughter's day care has two Griffins :laugh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

My cousin's four-year-old is a Beatrix.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Can anyone here reasonably explain the meteoric rise of terrible -en and related names? I mean Aiden I get, but Brayden, Braelin, Calen, Jaylen, Jayden, etc.. A few have precedent like Jayden Smith I guess but where is this particular slew of bad names coming from? Is there a famous person or character from a show that I'm not aware of?

Hell, I know a girl that named her baby Grady which isn't much better than the names I listed. It probably fits in the same category honestly.

Someone post that picture of the pregnant lady with the whiteboard of terrible names on it like Mckhynleighe again.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Snyderman posted:

Someone post that picture of the pregnant lady with the whiteboard of terrible names on it like Mckhynleighe again.

The mother's name is McKinli, and little Laikynn has a brother named Titan.

edit: I feel kinda bad making fun of her too much, she's clearly had kind of a rough life, according to her half dozen or so blogs. Pregnant at 17, married to an abusive rear end in a top hat at 18, divorced and remarried less than a year later.

But yeah, Titan and Laikynn (lichen?).

Florida Betty has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jul 11, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Baronjutter posted:

We had 2 Aarons but they were spelled the same, one wasn't loving "Eyrohn".

Back when I was in elementary school, we had an Erin and an Aron. Amusingly, we did not have an Aaron, so it took me a number of years to really process that Aron's parents were either big Elvis fans (his middle name was Aron spelled the same way, if I recall correctly) or just illiterate.

Pipsies
Nov 14, 2014

are you loving serious.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Pipsies posted:

are you loving serious.

I thought this was a man to be pronounced Bryanog. Then I realized what name it was.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
must be welsh

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

I get that the joke is "C'Mere" but I can't get past "Cinthia" and "Kriston". :( It's like a singularity of stupid names.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Pipsies posted:

are you loving serious.

I'm really hoping this is a teenager who has decided that the normally-spelt name their parents gave them is too boring, so they've just butchered it on social media (because that's what we did in high school).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

I get that the joke is "C'Mere" but I can't get past "Cinthia" and "Kriston". :( It's like a singularity of stupid names.

Yep that's Florida for you. And I'm not 100% sure I'm parsing that name right, is it the special snowflake version of Brianna?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I look at this woman and I see a lady who would make up a name like this just for the camera.

stubblyhead posted:

Yep that's Florida for you. And I'm not 100% sure I'm parsing that name right, is it the special snowflake version of Brianna?
Yes I belive so

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm talking to a John Johnson right now. I'm tempted to ask what his middle name is

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Opopanax posted:

I'm talking to a John Johnson right now. I'm tempted to ask what his middle name is

If he says works at a Wisconsin lumber mill, just hang up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Opopanax posted:

Does he teach a bible study class on the Book of John, because that happened to me.

John Johnson and the Book of John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lotish posted:

Does he teach a bible study class on the Book of John, because that happened to me.

John Johnson and the Book of John.

He was born to teach that class.