Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He did it......

WITH THE HELP OF GALOOJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The main thing FE7 adds to the story is that when Zephiel almost-certainly killed his father, it was clearly justifiable self-defense, not murder.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

CmdrKing posted:

The main thing FE7 adds to the story is that when Zephiel almost-certainly killed his father, it was clearly justifiable self-defense, not murder.

Actually, that was probably the intended idea in FE6 as well, if Hasha no Tsurugi (the FE6 manga) is any indication. Although, that manga differed pretty dramatically in some ways (heck, the main character wasn't even Roy!), so, that may not necessarily be the case.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, that was probably the intended idea in FE6 as well, if Hasha no Tsurugi (the FE6 manga) is any indication. Although, that manga differed pretty dramatically in some ways (heck, the main character wasn't even Roy!), so, that may not necessarily be the case.

I think FE6 makes reference to that sort of thing as well, but I don't really remember for sure. But there's a gap between "character mentions it in passing during exposition" and "you actively foil an assassination attempt."

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Zwingley posted:

Also thank you for fixing Zeiss's hair. :3:

I just wish I could fix the rest of him too :negative:

(...and on a different note, that was also one of the reasons I boosted his level upon joining.)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

WITH THE HELP OF GALOOJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Despite all of the terrible edits I've done, here has never been one Devil Dragon cell on my entire body!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...I just realized something deeply wrong with making Gale Kyoji. :stonk:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

All because of THIS GALE?!!??!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So yeah, all classes have different caps for each gender. Female snipers like Dorothy have 1 fewer possible Str and Def, in return for a theoretical +2 Res over their male counterparts. Dorothy's average resistance is 10 at max level. Yeah.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nihilarian posted:

So yeah, all classes have different caps for each gender. Female snipers like Dorothy have 1 fewer possible Str and Def, in return for a theoretical +2 Res over their male counterparts. Dorothy's average resistance is 10 at max level. Yeah.

Don't forget that in general female units have their con poo poo on too. The sexual dimorphism in FE is not exactly fair or balanced, I think the one spot women win is with mages.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nihilarian posted:

Not to mention like -92 CON for any female class, so it's not like they're even pretending it's fair. :biotruths:

E:fb

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm really glad FE moved to unified stat caps with individual units getting their own slight modifiers.

Also, as of the latest game, there are no longer any gender-exclusive classes which is pretty rad.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zore posted:

I'm really glad FE moved to unified stat caps with individual units getting their own slight modifiers.

Also, as of the latest game, there are no longer any gender-exclusive classes which is pretty rad.

So is there a class which allows you to wear a sweet tuxedo now?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Munin posted:

So is there a class which allows you to wear a sweet tuxedo now?

Yes.

You can be a butler.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm surprised you're even bothering getting Cath some levels, to be honest.

I mean, I've never beaten FE6 all the way (Working on it now, actually.), but my experience is that:

1. Chad/Astol exist and you get them for free, IIRC.
2. Her recruitment mechanic is annoying as hell because you have to chase her around on 3 separate occasions.
3. She's not even a good thief/assassin.

I know they were arena levels, so it's whatever, but I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason to use Cath in this game? I mean, assuming Astol and Chad don't bite it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I know they were arena levels, so it's whatever, but I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason to use Cath in this game? I mean, assuming Astol and Chad don't bite it.

I'm kinda curious about that myself, since this is just a 'gently caress around with level values and portraits' thread it's kinda hard to tell what the levels would look like normally.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LordHippoman posted:

Not really. By the time cath shows up in your roster she's stupidly underleved and her pissant strength combined with her being locked to the weakest weapons makes her hard to train. If you go ahead and level her anyway, her strength continues to be poo poo so she won't contribute anything and just leaches kill exp from units that could use it to do something. Her existence is pretty much solely as a chest bot if your other thieves are dead.

Or more simply, to quote(ish) a wise man:
She is not Chad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cath exists so that you can let two thieves die before the game says gently caress you, no more thieves

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

vilkacis posted:

Morgan is dead.

Live long Morgan!

As for Cath, she's still not the most annoying character just a very annoying one. And hey, she's a guaranteed source of lockpicks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They really should have added a base stat reward with a choice on when to recruit her. You COULD recruit her on her first appearance, or you could recruit her on her final appearance and be better than Astol because she's been training along with the party in her own path.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fionordequester posted:

CmdrKing posted:

There are literally two assassination attempts, the one in FE7 and the one at the END of FE7, when hector reports that his spies have said that Zephiel has died, then changed their report to Desmond. Nothing was retconned people just forget the ending.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Alright, I decided to try out that new Randomiser on FE8. The run is interesting so far, got some units that are garbage and some that are godlike.

http://imgur.com/a/GmdQX

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Naw, Gale stays Gale, I can't mess with that hair.

Nihilarian posted:

But that is dumb. Why would they be so dumb?

gently caress that, I'm giving her all 30 caps like Wolt, Roy is an equal opportunities employer.

Zore posted:

I don't mind gender-exclusive classes, as long as it's not like... girls getting "bride" and guys getting "dread fighter". I wanted to put Chrom in stupid sparkly formal wear for his final boss fight, drat it!

LordHippoman posted:

1. Chad/Astol exist and you get them for free, IIRC.
2. Her recruitment mechanic is annoying as hell because you have to chase her around on 3 separate occasions.
3. She's not even a good thief/assassin.

1. Astol has disappointed me horribly, even more than Cath, so I kind of want to sacrifice him to the RNG gods.
2. If I've gone through the trouble to recruit her, I may as well use her.
3. Neither is Astol, but I may want more than one thief at some point, and I didn't really have anyone else I wanted to train, so no harm in bringing her.

FoolyCharged posted:

She is not Chad.

But she is also not Astol, which counts for something!

Mysticblade posted:

Alright, I decided to try out that new Randomiser on FE8. The run is interesting so far, got some units that are garbage and some that are godlike.

http://imgur.com/a/GmdQX

That's probably better suited to the general FE thread (as horrible as it may be) but it's okay because I got to Bonewalker Tethys and I loving lost it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

vilkacis posted:

Because Japan is still fairly backwards and misogynist when it comes to gender equality.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

vilkacis posted:

gently caress that, I'm giving her all 30 caps like Wolt, Roy is an equal opportunities employer.
:getin:
Any chance you could give Schwartz all 30 caps too? Or at least a higher Strength/Speed cap, because 23 max speed is loving terrible, especially since she's already hit her Speed cap.

quote:

I don't mind gender-exclusive classes, as long as it's not like... girls getting "bride" and guys getting "dread fighter". I wanted to put Chrom in stupid sparkly formal wear for his final boss fight, drat it!
What kills me the most is how loving imbalanced the DLC classes are with weapons and skills. Weapon-wise, access to Sword/Axe/Magic is so much better than Lance/Bow/Staves (especially since Hero and Dark Knight use 2 out of those 3 weapons, and Swordmaster/Berserker uses only Swords/Axes respectively), and skill-wise Aggressor/Resistance +10 are much better than Rally Heart and especially Bond.

Dread Fighter takes the one flaw of most physical units (low resistance) and basically nullifies it. If you're a smartass and find a way to get a Dread Fighter in Awakening's earlygame then you suddenly destroy every magical enemy for most of the game (even in Lunatic) in a way that a similar earlygame Bride can't hope to match.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Because Japan is still fairly backwards and misogynist when it comes to gender equality.

After reading this I'm more inclined to blame D&D for setting the foundation for that stuff.

quote:

You are not allowed to play a female halfling if you have more than 14 strength, and they can only be fighters which use it, or thieves. 15 for a female gnome, 16 for elf gals, 17 for both dwarves and half-elves, which is just sort of weird, with human women getting a somewhat respectable 18/50, and half-orcs topping the charts at 18/75.

The fact that these strength caps are different for male and female characters is disgusting to begin with, particularly since this is the only rule anywhere where gender matters. There’s a big chart of stat restrictions wasting a ton of space on a male/female split for every minimum and maximum value, with max strength being the only place they don’t match up. It gets even worse when you realize how hugely gender factors into it. That 18/50 cap for female humans, which seems pretty great until you recall you have half the damage bonus and can’t force a locked door open? That’s also the cap for male gnomes. The tiny little dudes who get stuck as thieves and illusionists have the same potential strength as the strongest human woman, while their women cap at 15. Male halflings match female dwarves at 17. Female halflings couldn’t meet the minimum strength to be monks even if it wasn’t locked to humans only. Of course the worst thing on the chart is that the male human cap isn’t listed as such. “18/01-50 Maximum strength possible for a female human or male gnome character.” “18/00 Maximum human strength.” Classy.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

fade5 posted:

What kills me the most is how loving imbalanced the DLC classes are with weapons and skills. Weapon-wise, access to Sword/Axe/Magic is so much better than Lance/Bow/Staves (especially since Hero and Dark Knight use 2 out of those 3 weapons, and Swordmaster/Berserker uses only Swords/Axes respectively), and skill-wise Aggressor/Resistance +10 are much better than Rally Heart and especially Bond.

Dread Fighter takes the one flaw of most physical units (low resistance) and basically nullifies it. If you're a smartass and find a way to get a Dread Fighter in Awakening's earlygame then you suddenly destroy every magical enemy for most of the game (even in Lunatic) in a way that a similar earlygame Bride can't hope to match.

Except that Rally Heart is really gross for Rally play and can make a big difference when you need to hit and run at higher difficulty levels in conjunction with Rally Movement from Dark Flier. Bond is also nice low effort healing. By late game there are generally better things to stick in the skills slot than Aggressor or Resistance unless your unit is criminally low on Res. Skills wise I'd say they are pretty balanced between the two with each have their definite strengths depending on the stage in the game and your style of play.

That said, I most definitely agree that Sword/Axe/Magic is a much better combo than Lance/Bow/Stave.

W.T. Fits posted:

Don't single out Japan for this. Gender differentiated stats was a thing in Western RPGs for a long time as well. They had different character stats depending on gender in (I believe all) Elder Scroll games up to Oblivion...

Anyway, good thing both series have moved away from that kind of stuff.

[edit] DnD also got rid of it by 2nd Ed. By the time it became popular all the core stuff was not gender differentiated. Of course you still have shedloads of nerds creating forum topics about how it should be added back in and questioning why that "added bit of realism" wasn't included in the first place. *sigh*

Munin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 13, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

fade5 posted:

:getin:
Any chance you could give Schwartz all 30 caps too? Or at least a higher Strength/Speed cap, because 23 max speed is loving terrible, especially since she's already hit her Speed cap.

I could, but I don't think she really needs it.

Will adjust wyvern lord caps for equality, though.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I could, but I don't think she really needs it.

Will adjust wyvern lord caps for equality, though.

make dorothy click her heels three times and wish for a 30 strength cap

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dorothy is going to click her heels three times and make any fucker who tries to keep her from a 30 strength cap regret it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
please just drain all of saul's stats into dorothy

like, set him to all 1s and dorothy is now all 30s

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GeneX posted:

This, but Lilina.

All she needs to drain from him is speed.

Also you could have used all that arena money you had when you got the member card to buy all the speedwings for Liilina and make her viable again, BUT YOU DIDN'T. :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Lilina is boring and hasn't earned the right to steal saul's stats.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
At the rate he's progressing, it's doubtful Saul will ever get his hands on St. Elimine's Aureola. :v:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

GeneX posted:

So Basically, you want Dorothy to go all Succubus on Saul.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They removed gender-based caps in Awakening, and made all classes gender neutral in Fates.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GeneX posted:

I think they're pretty much handling that themselves. Have you seen his latest levels?

Shei-kun posted:

Also you could have used all that arena money you had when you got the member card to buy all the speedwings for Liilina and make her viable again, BUT YOU DIDN'T. :colbert:

No I couldn't, but I wouldn't even if I could. I have characters who haven't disappointed me terribly to spend money on.

W.T. Fits posted:

At the rate he's progressing, it's doubtful Saul will ever get his hands on St. Elimine's Aureola. :v:

Too bad, but I'm sure he's used to that kind of disappointment.

Endorph posted:

They removed gender-based caps in Awakening, and made all classes gender neutral in Fates.

And it's probably for the best.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

W.T. Fits posted:

this made me lol pretty hard.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Endorph posted:

They removed gender-based caps in Awakening

Don't female units still, in general, have more res growth than their male counterparts and less def?

I never noticed a difference in strength or magic but before I had all greens my female units definitely had more res. might've been just rng though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tyty posted:

Don't female units still, in general, have more res growth than their male counterparts and less def?

I never noticed a difference in strength or magic but before I had all greens my female units definitely had more res. might've been just rng though.

Chauvinism is just highly flammable. :v:

But really, divergent caps or growths in the same kind of stat (defensive in the case) are fine as long as it's not trading STR and DEF for LUK or whatever crap the GBA games do, and Awakening obviously doesn't have CON so it can't screw them there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

Chauvinism is just highly flammable. :v:

But really, divergent caps or growths in the same kind of stat (defensive in the case) are fine as long as it's not trading STR and DEF for LUK or whatever crap the GBA games do, and Awakening obviously doesn't have CON so it can't screw them there either.

the Luck caps are always the same throughout the game, it's almost always Def for Res and Str for Speed.

• Locked thread