Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Beamed posted:

What about the women's ESWC?
Pfffffft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

mcvey posted:

I'm not sure that Silvers actually exist anymore. At least not officially ranked ones.

I'm a real silver-player you dummy! :(
At least I just got promoted to supreme elite silver or whatever it's called, so soon I'm moving up to the big league!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

PerOlus posted:

I'm a real silver-player you dummy! :(
At least I just got promoted to supreme elite silver or whatever it's called, so soon I'm moving up to the big league!
Novas are Silvers who have learned to pull down when they spray and to buy grenades. That's it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

symbolic posted:

Novas are Silvers who have learned to pull down when they spray and to buy grenades. That's it.

I went from SEM to nova 3 in ~7 wins by learning how to throw smokes and flashes for my teammates. Aim is still terrible, but at least not silver bad.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

symbolic posted:

DMG are MG1s who have learned to pull down when they spray and to buy grenades. That's it.

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 13, 2015

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

symbolic posted:

I keep hearing things like this in this thread, and I experiencing silver differently. Everyone can aim (in the meaning that you have a split-second when seeing someone before you're dead from a headshot) and everyone buys nades. Location callouts etcetc is done. Maybe there are differences in regions, I'm in Sweden.

Sure there is a quite large degree of random behavior, example: "kick me"-players, and others who just kill team mates, also Russians refusing to communicate. But "just aim better", or "buy nades" is not enough to rank out of silver. I'm probably playing the game fundamentally wrong in other ways. I'm trying to be more defensive lately, "no rush".

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

PerOlus posted:

I keep hearing things like this in this thread, and I experiencing silver differently. Everyone can aim (in the meaning that you have a split-second when seeing someone before you're dead from a headshot) and everyone buys nades. Location callouts etcetc is done. Maybe there are differences in regions, I'm in Sweden.

Sure there is a quite large degree of random behavior, example: "kick me"-players, and others who just kill team mates, also Russians refusing to communicate. But "just aim better", or "buy nades" is not enough to rank out of silver. I'm probably playing the game fundamentally wrong in other ways. I'm trying to be more defensive lately, "no rush".
Well Sweden is habitually better at CS than us dumb Americans. Swedish Silvers are probably American MG level judging by what you said.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

PerOlus posted:

Post a demo or two

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

symbolic posted:

Or push up. Noob.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ephedra posted:

Or push up. Noob.
:lol::lol: if you think the average CS player can do push-ups.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
90% of Silvers cannot aim at anywhere near a competent level. Below Silver Elite and we are generally into grandmother territory. What I saw at Silver 3 was pretty close to severe mental illness. Silver 1 I assume is beyond the pale. I remember some goons posting a while back a match where they won using only knives. Split-second headshots it wasn't.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

symbolic posted:

What are MGs then? I want to know what obvious things I'm missing being a nova.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

prom candy posted:

What are MGs then? I want to know what obvious things I'm missing being a nova.
Novas that got lucky. I can tell you this firsthand, since I was an MG1 before I stopped giving a poo poo and lost my rank. There is no difference between Novas and MGs besides who got queued with a smurf or against a smurf.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

symbolic posted:

Well Sweden is habitually better at CS than us dumb Americans. Swedish Silvers are probably American MG level judging by what you said.

I knew I would come off as arrogant, I did not mean to offend your delicate american hearts. (C9 will never beat a swedish team fyi)
I never played CS back in the day, and my first exposure to CS is with GO. I only know silver level play, and what I keep hearing here is not consistent with how I experience the game. That means of course that there is a risk of Dunning Kruger:ing going on, and that I literally don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll post some replays.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
No one can really tell you what you're doing wrong without seeing you play. Post some demos!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mcvey posted:

No one can really tell you what you're doing wrong without seeing you play. Post some demos!

I'm working on learning some new maps right now so my demos would probably too full of map-specific mistakes to be worth watching but once I get a handle on mirage I'll post one of my good games to get some feedback. I think off the bat I already know I'm not using nades enough/effectively and that my aim needs work. I'm pretty solid in DM but I must get panicky or something in a real game I miss some shots when they count.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

It's good you're doing it in Silver, I'm MG1 now and only know Dust 2, and it's pretty awful when I add Inferno or Mirage to the rotation and get annihilated from an area I don't know to watch. :smith:

symbolic posted:

Pfffffft.

:smith:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm liking cbble more and more. Just had a nice and close game that started off horrible with only 4 points on CT side and a teammate having a meltdown- but whatever was working for the opposing team stopped once they were on defense, and we steamrolled them for the rest of the points and our toxic guy even hella mellowed out after being dropped a few weapons and positions on the scoreboard

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Beamed posted:

It's good you're doing it in Silver, I'm MG1 now and only know Dust 2, and it's pretty awful when I add Inferno or Mirage to the rotation and get annihilated from an area I don't know to watch. :smith:
I'm actively trying to lose my rank because I queued only cache and inferno up to MG2. That was a bad idea since those are the only two maps I can play/know smokes and flashes for. Once I am unranked again i'll probably throw all the active duty maps in again, just to see what happens.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

symbolic posted:

I'm actively trying to lose my rank because I queued only cache and inferno up to MG2. That was a bad idea since those are the only two maps I can play/know smokes and flashes for. Once I am unranked again i'll probably throw all the active duty maps in again, just to see what happens.

If you can hang on cache and inferno at MG2, there's no reason why you should have to rank down just to compete on the other maps- just pick one or two new ones and learn the most basic smokes and default strats on those, then add more maps to your pool once they start becoming comfortable. You'll probably still get beaten up for a few games until you get the timing and common positions down, but you'll learn more and faster by going up against better opposition anyway. Hell, if you insist on deranking, these very same the early losses will help you in that regard too

Out of the active group, the only maps I have left where I feel out of my element is train and dust2, but I'm gonna put off the latter for as long as I possibly can. I'll probably turn supreme before I have more than 3 comp matches played in that horrible place

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 13, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

If you can hang on cache and inferno at MG2, there's no reason why you should have to rank down just to compete on the other maps- just pick one or two new ones and learn the most basic smokes and default strats on those. You'll probably still get beaten up for a few games until you get the timing and common positions down, but you'll learn more and faster by going up against better opposition anyway. Hell, if you insist on deranking, these very same the early losses will help you in that regard too
Well, I'm also deranking because I've gotten increasingly pissed off at competitive, so I figure a month long break might help. Also I might as well as see where I really place come the first win, as I certainly felt like I did not belong at MG level even as I won games at MG2.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

symbolic posted:

Well, I'm also deranking because I've gotten increasingly pissed off at competitive, so I figure a month long break might help. Also I might as well as see where I really place come the first win, as I certainly felt like I did not belong at MG level even as I won games at MG2.

You don't lose your rank after inactivity, though. It only stops displaying what it is- on your first win you'll more than likely end up exactly where you were.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Here's some

https://reddit.com/r/CSeventVODs/comments/3ctd71/eswc_2015/

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

You don't lose your rank after inactivity, though. It only stops displaying what it is- on your first win you'll more than likely end up exactly where you were.
Well darn. There goes my hope. :v:

Maybe I'll try AWPing instead of being a rifler. I've been feeling more comfortable with the big green gun lately. I also don't have to worry about spray control and first shot accuracy because god drat that was difficult for me. At least I could kind of do it with the AK, but I was hopeless with the a1.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Beamed posted:

:smith:

I wish I had done it in silver when I was still out-aiming most people, I'm GN3. Inferno is particularly a pain in the rear end, so many little dark corners.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

prom candy posted:

I wish I had done it in silver when I was still out-aiming most people, I'm GN3. Inferno is particularly a pain in the rear end, so many little dark corners.
Really? I've found Inferno to be my best and easiest map. Retaking A site is a bitch, but besides that, it's easy to remember what corners to check, especially when you rain fire onto B site.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

symbolic posted:

Well darn. There goes my hope. :v:

Maybe I'll try AWPing instead of being a rifler. I've been feeling more comfortable with the big green gun lately. I also don't have to worry about spray control and first shot accuracy because god drat that was difficult for me. At least I could kind of do it with the AK, but I was hopeless with the a1.

why not just work on playing better instead of worrying about all of these weird things you think effect your play?

TBH up until SMFC/GE level you can just run around and out-aim everybody if you're good enough. thats really it. nades help, but you really don't need them to rank up if your fundamental movement/shooting is there. really. i played on a friend's low level account (LE i think) the other day, and i would just buy pistols(tec/5-7) and 1 flash, dropped serious frags.

my one weird tip for ranking up is play dust 2 exclusively. my friend who has 3 GE accounts that he solo-queued to that rank swears by it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no_funeral posted:

why not just work on playing better instead of worrying about all of these weird things you think effect your play?
I have been doing that as of late. Been using a quick reflex aim map as well as deathmatch, though I think I need to improve my game sense more.

I dunno, maybe I got burned out on competitive after playing 100 matches in two or three months (which is probably way less than y'all, but too much for me). This break might do me good. :shrug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Solo queueing is also a lot less scary than you might think if you don't treat your teammates like assholes and give them an idea of what you think you should do imo (for those of you who are scared of it for some reason)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Solo queueing is also a lot less scary than you might think if you don't treat your teammates like assholes and give them an idea of what you think you should do imo (for those of you who are scared of it for some reason)
I usually only solo queue, since if I queue with a friend I'm not focused enough to do well. It's not terrible. You just need to play to your full extent and make sure you keep up the morale.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sometimes solo queue is a bitch but 80% of the time, I hit friendly, unique people and have fun. Key is to be friendly, do calls, and if nobody IGLs you suggest strats.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

solo-queuing is all about going into a game with as good vibes as you possibly can and opening up communication with your team. The MG ranks also seem a ton better about keeping their cool when down early than the novas were. Also, after about 2 weeks of it 2.25@400 feels way better than 1.875 and I can actually hit people who are moving at close range.

Edit: Also, mute the enemy team.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Ixtlilton posted:

solo-queuing is all about going into a game with as good vibes as you possibly can and opening up communication with your team.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ixtlilton posted:

solo-queuing is all about going into a game with as good vibes as you possibly can and opening up communication with your team. The MG ranks also seem a ton better about keeping their cool when down early than the novas were. Also, after about 2 weeks of it 2.25@400 feels way better than 1.875 and I can actually hit people who are moving at close range.

Edit: Also, mute the enemy team.

I totally agree with this, having 50 hours in this game over a year (only seriously trying the past few weeks) with 3 competitive wins, teammates are mostly friendly. It's during the half and the end that some seriously negative obnoxious poo poo goes down.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
All my solo queue games lately have been really friendly, even when losing. Overall I've found the Counter Strike community to be by far the friendliest of any competitive game I've played. People who think it's bad should try a MOBA.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I'm doing my placement matches. It's 2 wins per day max, right? Also, does it randomly drop you into different rank brackets when you're unranked, or is there some system there?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Google Butt posted:

So I'm doing my placement matches. It's 2 wins per day max, right? Also, does it randomly drop you into different rank brackets when you're unranked, or is there some system there?
Yes, 2 wins per day. I believe that if you play better you will be placed with a higher rank group in your next match and vice versa.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Two demos of recent silver-games. Don't have any better games sorry. I've played mostly mirage, inferno, and zoo lately, but don't have any games from those maps saved.

Dust 2 from tonight. We got completely outplayed, and my form was bad. It has been a while since I played the map, with these drat missions going on. Obvious early on that my teammates seemed to have voice talky off, everyone was just doing their own thing. One of those kind of games. First pistol round is like a joke, I just run in alone and get shot. I was distracted ok!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12608928/dust2.zip

Agency from friday 2am. This is a bit of a clusterfuck of a game, I have barely played the map, and I think everyone was drunk. At least I was.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12608928/agency.zip

I need to save demos more actively.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

PerOlus posted:

I have barely played the map, and I think everyone was drunk. At least I was.

Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
There aren't any silver (hahaha) bullets to getting out of silver. There are plenty of silvers that know you need to pull down when firing, but they're just too inexperienced to rank up. You just need to play more. Rank is a rough measure of hours of deliberate practice. The more you play (with the aim of improving), the better your rank will be.

• Locked thread