Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Aurain posted:

and that weird freak, Yamcha.

also Bulma shot Goku in the head when they first met, Chichi checked whether Roshi was actually Roshi by throwing a blade into his head, Oolong literally kidnapped little girls, 18 was a murderous android,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

sharktamer posted:

Well Goku never was the force of good that people seem to think he is. Even though the whole bad dad joke is getting old, he's not even that nice of a person. He could be like Superman, saving people across the world, even the universe, but he'd rather get his training fix.

If he spent all day saving people he'd have no time to train, so when the next supervillain shows up he'd be too weak to stand against him and everyone would die anyway :toot:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

people give gohan poo poo for not training after cell, but at least he was helping people as the great sayaman :colbert:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

gently caress man, the fighting in the earlier movies was so good. The choreography was totally on point and attacks felt so physical. That elbow right in the face at one minute in had such power behind it.

Side note, I have been repeatedly watching the moment where Goku uses Kaioken x4 during the beam struggle (at 3:21) and I cannot work out what the dub voice actor says. It sounds like he just screams gibberish. Can anyone figure it out?

Agreed. I'm also a fan of the type of animation and art style they had for the earlier movies.

It just looks good really. It's why I like the Dead Zone so much, the art and animation in that film is just fantastic.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

New Leaf posted:

See, I know people are going to rail against me, but the only time we saw him before Super, he said he was going to blow up Earth over something stupid and he zapped a rock. This time he went to a planet unannounced, tried to steal their dinner, changed his mind, then blew the whole thing up. That isn't quite the same thing.

Going to other planets and judging their continued existence based on the tastiness of their dinner is kinda Beerus' MO.

Earth would've been toast if Goku didn't wear him out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This Ice Cream though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Aurain posted:

This Ice Cream though.

Look at how bad the art is!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Goddamn, I haven't heard the Ocean dub in a long time. I forgot what old Goku sounded like.

Side note, I have been repeatedly watching the moment where Goku uses Kaioken x4 during the beam struggle (at 3:21) and I cannot work out what the dub voice actor says. It sounds like he just screams gibberish. Can anyone figure it out?

Pretty sure he says "power up."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I want to take a minute to talk about episode 7 of GT. This episode features Goku, Pan, and Trunks coming across a village on a planet where women are being kidnapped by an evil monster. Our heroes disguise one of themselves as a bride for the monster in order to deceive it, and I'm guessing they will battle it in episode 8. If this sounds familiar it's because it's the exact same premise from the Dragon Ball episode that introduced Oolong.

Pan initially wants Goku to dress up as the bride. In the subtitled Japanese (At least in my copy), Goku just complains that he doesn't want to dress up as a girl. In the English dub, Goku's motivation is actually different- not only does he not want to dress up as a girl, he specifically brings up that he's tried this very same plan before when he was a little kid and that it didn't work out very well, with Pan being in disbelief that this event happened. I really like how how the dub has altered Goku's characterization here, as it actually highlights Goku has changed at least somewhat since the Oolong episode of early Dragon Ball (Or at the very least that he's able to recall that plans that didn't work so well in the past might not work so well in the present as well). I wonder how many other changes the dub has like this that attempt to fix up GT in subtle ways.

Some of the changes are clearly because of the audience the American version is aimed at (Pan also talks about getting the monster drunk on Sake in Japanese, whereas in English she simply refers to having the monster let its guard down as it is lured into a false sense of security. The English dub has a later reference to "strong drinks" to feed the monster, but they avoid mentioning alcohol directly, unlike something like the Battle of Gods dub.), but I have to appreciate Funimation's efforts here to actually make this episode not just a pointless retread. It still mostly is a dumb retread, but they tried dammit!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kild posted:

Look at how bad the art is!

I think you'll find that any picture of Vegeta enjoying an ice cream on the sly objectively perfect.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Zzulu posted:

Maybe he has a quota for blowing poo poo up and the caveman planet was as good as any other

I like to think there's an equal number of Gods Of Creation going around making planets and stuff. It's all about checks and balances 'n poo poo.

You know, like when an area has too many rabbits/deer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Goddamn, I haven't heard the Ocean dub in a long time. I forgot what old Goku sounded like.

That's the second Goku voice too. It was a different guy for the first 30 or so episodes then they got the one from the clip there for the rest of their run and the movies they did. They did a really good job casting the roles back then. The current roster came into their own too but the transition was really jarring.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Aren't the supreme kais the gods of creation? All they ever do is lie around fishing all day.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jimbot posted:

That's the second Goku voice too. It was a different guy for the first 30 or so episodes then they got the one from the clip there for the rest of their run and the movies they did. They did a really good job casting the roles back then. The current roster came into their own too but the transition was really jarring.

Replacing Vegeta's Sinister Bad Guy voice with Angry Tough Guy voice was an improvement right off the bat though. I don't think Ocean's Vegeta voice would have worked long term.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

sharktamer posted:

Aren't the supreme kais the gods of creation? All they ever do is lie around fishing all day.

Beerus takes some pretty long naps, they probably have a decent amount of spare time to relax.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Fuego Fish posted:

Beerus takes some pretty long naps, they probably have a decent amount of spare time to relax.

Maybe if they kept making new planets Beerus would be forced to be more active so they just kinda try to maintain the status quo.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

In BoG Beerus says something about destroying planets so new ones can be made, but I don't think it's ever specified who does the creating.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People with problematic habits always try to justify them. He needs an intervention. Whis is just an enabler.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's pretty sad when Goku and Vegeta could mop the floor with nearly the entire pantheon of known gods in DBZ other than Beerus. I wonder if any of the other universes are like that? Does each universe have its own independent afterlife?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

New Leaf posted:

It's pretty sad when Goku and Vegeta could mop the floor with nearly the entire pantheon of known gods in DBZ other than Beerus. I wonder if any of the other universes are like that? Does each universe have its own independent afterlife?

Each universe has it's own afterlife based around a different theology. The main one is obviously based around Shinto and Buddhist tradition. In the other universes our heroes encounter a dimension based around Judeo-Christian thinking, an afterlife identical to Valhalla, and an ancient Egyptian style mythology where you get eaten by a crocodile.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't like to file-sharing or streaming sites in this thread, I don't care that Super isn't on an official streaming site yet, this is loving Dragon Ball. Find your own stuff.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

gently caress man, the fighting in the earlier movies was so good. The choreography was totally on point and attacks felt so physical. That elbow right in the face at one minute in had such power behind it.

I think its "POWER UP!"

edit: whoops that what I get for replying to a post without finishing read the new posts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

New Leaf posted:

well they can have a work around by not giving them their bodies when they die.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Parallax Scroll posted:

In BoG Beerus says something about destroying planets so new ones can be made, but I don't think it's ever specified who does the creating.

Porunga :v:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I noticed something when rewatching the cell saga, Yamcha is all heart broken when bulma tells everyone who Trunks's dad is, but then when they are making wishes at the end he mentions wishing for a gift for his girlfriend, so i guess rather than train during the 10 days, he probably realized he was going to die and decided to get laid instead

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Each universe has it's own afterlife based around a different theology. The main one is obviously based around Shinto and Buddhist tradition. In the other universes our heroes encounter a dimension based around Judeo-Christian thinking, an afterlife identical to Valhalla, and an ancient Egyptian style mythology where you get eaten by a crocodile.

Time for one of the best characters in Dragon Ball to become relevant again!

:cool:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am emotionally invested in yamcha, chiotzu, and lunch

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

I am emotionally invested in yamcha, chiotzu, and lunch

who?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I think Begita did pretty well, I mean wouldnt you get pissed if over 9000 people were calling you an old man. I mean at least he did more than Son Gokuu who ended up wrecking kaiōs car.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

track day bro! posted:

I think Begita did pretty well, I mean wouldnt you get pissed if over 9000 people were calling you an old man. I mean at least he did more than Son Gokuu who ended up wrecking kaiōs car.

Car.

House.

Brand new Planet.

I wonder what kind of insurance is on a Planet. Does it cover Saiyan-related incidents?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sharktamer posted:

Well I mean, they're immortals who have literally all the time in the world. I'd spend most of my time just chilling and fishing too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the babe who sneezed

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Namtab posted:

the babe who sneezed

Launch, not Lunch.

Also, I might be in the minority on this, but I'm ok with characters being regulated to the background. Most of the ones who are did so around the time their own personal stories ended. Like Tien got over wanting to be a mercenary and decided to be more selfish, Master Roshi has fully given in to the idea of leaving things to the next generation, Piccolo has gotten over his evil urges and reunited with his good half, and such. Others just never really had those to begin so they went to the background as quickly as they appeared like Chaotzu and Yajirobe which is fine since they were never meant to be big characters (the former is just Krillin's opposite for the tournament and other is just so Krillin's VA had lines while Krillin was dead). Just saying.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

Launch, not Lunch.

Who?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Her?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

Car.

House.

Brand new Planet.

I wonder what kind of insurance is on a Planet. Does it cover Saiyan-related incidents?

Well he must have good insurance because Goku punched a massive hole through it in BoG.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Covok posted:

Launch, not Lunch.

Gomen

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dragonball's final frontier: a slice of life anime

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I feel weird that it seems the first few episodes of Super are just going to be retelling the plot of Battle of the Gods with maybe some slight differences.

I dunno. Still looks pretty and is funny though.

Excited for whatever Fat Beerus and Female Whis are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hjalmar posted:

I hope this isn't that unpopular an opinion, but I completely adore King Kai's english voice. It just, to me at least, completely captures the character of a weird fat bug god who hangs out with a smaller bug and a monkey driving around a tiny planet all day.

I'm the same way, King Kai's dub voice doesn't like... sound like an angelic loving choir or anything but it suits him perfectly.

• Locked thread