Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

You could also, basically, not assassinate people for money? Like, once you've done that twice, the game saying "okay, you're an assassin now" is not 100% unreasonable. If you hate a specific guild or questline, you can just not do them; it's not like you absolutely need to run every sidequest to the end in Skyrim.

(I mean, it'd be better if there were just alternate ways to do sidequests, but it's not like the game puts a gun to your head and makes you act like an rear end in a top hat.)

One of the expressed goals for Skyrim was that they wanted to make the entirety of the game available for the single playthrough. So that if you were a fighter but still wanted to experiences Mages Guild content, you could do so just by being their champion (and only doing very few "magey" things).

While it made my experience less angular, I think I prefer that option because I really only ever do one playthrough, so having all that content available from the get go gets me more bang for my buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's the same couple of people throwing it out every so often, and then a fuckton of people asking "What's monster brew?". You can't force those things, you need to let them happen organically. Stop trying to make fetch happen.

fair

Suave Fedora posted:

One of the expressed goals for Skyrim was that they wanted to make the entirety of the game available for the single playthrough. So that if you were a fighter but still wanted to experiences Mages Guild content, you could do so just by being their champion (and only doing very few "magey" things).

While it made my experience less angular, I think I prefer that option because I really only ever do one playthrough, so having all that content available from the get go gets me more bang for my buck.

Even after becoming archmage I only had low-mid level spells though, it's been a while since I played it so maybe it's better than I remember but it would be cooler if the levels required some use of each of the different types of magic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And I mean I can admit when I am wrong, like Cream-of-Plenty of plenty has clearly hit gold a few times even if a few of them were trying a bit hard. So you know, it's not like no progress was made.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sout posted:

Even after becoming archmage I only had low-mid level spells though, it's been a while since I played it so maybe it's better than I remember but it would be cooler if the levels required some use of each of the different types of magic.
The only spells required for the entire mage's guild questline are three novice (lowest tier) spells. And one random apprentice (second lowest tier) spell to gain access to Winterhold and you even can get around that with high enough speech or by progressing through the main quest line.

So yeah: You can basically become an archmage who knows jack poo poo about magic. Just like you can become a master thief who can't steal or sneak (if I recall right the only actual thieving you do during that particular quest line is copyright infringement).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 13, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Raygereio posted:

So yeah: You can basically become an archmage who knows jack poo poo about magic. Just like you can become a master thief who can't steal or sneak (if I recall right the only actual thieving you do during that particular quest line is copyright infringement).

No, you've sort of got to be able to sneak to do the thieves guild.

You can definitely become Archmage without learning a lot of magic though, although I'm at a loss why anyone would want to go back to the Morrowind system which gates levels of guilds by your skill points. The Mage's Guild was definitely the weakest one in Skyrim, because it's over really, really quickly, and essentially just one really long quest where you learn about the Archmage's sins and clean up after him. I always justify being the Archmage by the number of dragons I've murdered doing the questline, because for some reason they really like landing in the College of Winterhold.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Didn't the mages guild in oblivion require you to do a quest for every guild hall in the map? That was annoying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sout posted:

Didn't the mages guild in oblivion require you to do a quest for every guild hall in the map? That was annoying.

Yup, and a lot of them are definitely annoying. The ring in the well quest springs to mind. To be fair, though, it's definitely the guild with some of the more powerful awards, because spellcrafting was still around then, so you could easily make a wizard who could cast a spell that made someone light on fire and slowly burn them to death on a touch attack, and then it turned you invisible while they stood there burning, and saying, in that one elf voice, "drat rats! Always skirting around in th- UUEERGH!"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

After you've killed literally everyone in Elder Scrolls 6, they instantly get revived and an NPC named howard todd walks up to you and says "okay you had your laughs can you actually play the goddamn game now?"

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
After Fallout 4, what sequel will Bethesda hire Obsidian to make?

I'm thinking Fallout: Seattle. You play as the host of a call-in therapy radio show in 2077. You survive the bombs and now have to piece back together your life while helping the scattered survivors of the pacific northwest cope with radioactive contamination and no more good coffee. Lot's of dialog, but some combat too when raiders try to steal the last few tins of caviar in existence. Possible companions include your uncultured father who you have to feed stimpaks to regularly to keep alive, an acerbic co-worker with a romance sub-plot that never goes anywhere, and a brother that makes constant snide remarks and always flees from combat.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Nothing, Obsidian won't make more Fallout games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nevets posted:

After Fallout 4, what sequel will Bethesda hire Obsidian to make?

I'm thinking Fallout: Seattle. You play as the host of a call-in therapy radio show in 2077. You survive the bombs and now have to piece back together your life while helping the scattered survivors of the pacific northwest cope with radioactive contamination and no more good coffee. Lot's of dialog, but some combat too when raiders try to steal the last few tins of caviar in existence. Possible companions include your uncultured father who you have to feed stimpaks to regularly to keep alive, an acerbic co-worker with a romance sub-plot that never goes anywhere, and a brother that makes constant snide remarks and always flees from combat.

The main quest will involve getting the brother companion together with a psychic med-tech from England, but it keeps going for a long time after you accomplish that goal, and it sort of goes downhill after that. The best missions will be the ones where his wife, a character from Fallout 3, visits.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bholder posted:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Which is why he needs to conquer NCR as soon as possible, its the only way he can preserve the Legion beyond his death. Once they have conquered NCR the Legion will become more civilized by a sedentary lifestyle, but not before killing all the corrupt officials that are currently strangling it. That process doesn't need Ceasar, there are plenty of educated people in the NCR that can take over administrative roles in the Legion once the two societies are integrated.

Isn't there a way to side with Cesar and beat the NCR and still have him die of cancer? In that ending the Legion immediately falls apart.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sedisp posted:

Isn't there a way to side with Cesar and beat the NCR and still have him die of cancer? In that ending the Legion immediately falls apart.
Yep. If you try to operate on Ceasar yourself without enough Medicine or Luck, Ceasar will die. You can still progress further in the Legion questline after that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bholder posted:

As a guy who loving loves New Vegas, I have to face this sad truth. There will never be another Obsidian-developed Fallout game, not ever. The sooner we can stop believing in it the sooner we can all move on and live in a happier, more Todd Howard tomorrow, today

The best we could maybe hope for is Chris Avellone or Josh Sawyer being "consulted" for a Fallout 4 DLC campaign or something.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

As a guy who loving loves New Vegas, I have to face this sad truth. There will never be another Obsidian-developed Fallout game, not ever. The sooner we can stop believing in it the sooner we can all move on and live in a happier, more Todd Howard tomorrow, today

The best we could maybe hope for is Chris Avellone or Josh Sawyer being "consulted" for a Fallout 4 DLC campaign or something.

Yeah, something I thought today was that Fallout 4 is going to be a sequel to Fallout 3, not NV or 1 or 2. Hopefully it will incorporate the good elements of NV, but it's most likely never going to become closer to the first 2 games in terms of design or setting or anything. With luck, the series will branch off into it's own thing successfully, and will find new strengths.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
However, Fallout 5 will be developed by Platinum so at least there's that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That's fine, Obsidian should focus on their new IP anyway

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Bholder posted:

Until Feargus himself whispers it into my ear in the dark of the night, I'll keep on believing. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JackBadass posted:

"gently caress YOU, MAGES GUILD! I'LL SHOW ALL YOU BOOK READIN' NANCY BOYS MY AXE-IN-THE-FACE SPELL!"

I do like that due to the unwillingness of the designers to require you to actually do anything but the most basic of magic spells in order to complete the mages guild, and if you don't have those spells when you need them, you are immediately given them, usually for free, you can go through the entire quest playing as a big burly Nord who can read scrolls and maybe cast a basic spell if he concentrates real hard, but who solves every single problem along the mage questline by punching it in the dick. And this gets you elected Archmage.

I am the muscle wizard and I cast fist.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bholder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uTsqJVAeo

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

OwlFancier posted:

I do like that due to the unwillingness of the designers to require you to actually do anything but the most basic of magic spells in order to complete the mages guild, and if you don't have those spells when you need them, you are immediately given them, usually for free, you can go through the entire quest playing as a big burly Nord who can read scrolls but solves every single problem by punching it in the dick. And this gets you elected Archmage.

Yeah being guild leader is all about politics not actual ability.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah being guild leader is all about politics not actual ability.

I like to think it's about actual ability to put the other mages in a headlock and give them a noogie if they don't make you the archmage.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Were you actually expecting serious wizards in Skyrim? Land of buff dudes with magic lungs that somehow haven't discovered heavy metal yet.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

OwlFancier posted:

I do like that due to the unwillingness of the designers to require you to actually do anything but the most basic of magic spells in order to complete the mages guild, and if you don't have those spells when you need them, you are immediately given them, usually for free, you can go through the entire quest playing as a big burly Nord who can read scrolls but solves every single problem by punching it in the dick. And this gets you elected Archmage.

Wasn't one of the "trials" at the Mage Academy to just take a spell scroll and learn like Basic Healing or something and then cast it a single time?

I mean, my character was basically half-mage anyways since they sort of push that poo poo off on you whether you want it or not, but I had to laugh when all the mages were super impressed by my ability to cast Babby's First Magic Spell.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Davoren posted:

Until Feargus himself whispers it into my ear in the dark of the night, I'll keep on believing. :smith:

He already made his own "Fallout" game that nobody liked

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I do like that due to the unwillingness of the designers to require you to actually do anything but the most basic of magic spells in order to complete the mages guild, and if you don't have those spells when you need them, you are immediately given them, usually for free, you can go through the entire quest playing as a big burly Nord who can read scrolls and maybe cast a basic spell if he concentrates real hard, but who solves every single problem along the mage questline by punching it in the dick. And this gets you elected Archmage.

The funniest thing is that you always end up doing this when you've been overburdened with things to sell or you want to raid the college for alchemical ingredients, so they're all like "Welcome to the college!" and you say "Yes, here are two hundred black mage's robes. Please tell me where you keep your bugs and flowers."

King Vidiot posted:

Wasn't one of the "trials" at the Mage Academy to just take a spell scroll and learn like Basic Healing or something and then cast it a single time?

I mean, my character was basically half-mage anyways since they sort of push that poo poo off on you whether you want it or not, but I had to laugh when all the mages were super impressed by my ability to cast Babby's First Magic Spell.

You have to cast a random spell to enter the guild, and a ward spell during class, but nobody is particularly impressed with you for casting spells, it's that you're the target of the plot exposition ghost people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

The woman at the bridge won't open the front door unless you can cast the spell you start the game with.

The first lesson is being able to cast a basic ward which you get taught if you can't do it.

Afterwards I don't think spellcasting ever comes up. You get plenty of wizard loot but you never have to actually cast another spell again if you don't want to I don't think. Just clank around in plate armor (or bear skins) and dropkick zombies to death.

It's pretty fun going through labyrinthian and beating the doom lich of unfathomable evil who wields the staff of the god of magic by suplexing it. Also perfectly wizardly, apparently.

The important thing about being the archmage and completing the mages guild questline isn't that you're a good wizard, but that you own some very expensive wizard loot. It's basically a quest about hoarding expensive artifacts.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 13, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The woman at the bridge won't open the front door unless you can cast the spell you start the game with.

There is a set of spells it can be and they choose one randomly, but if it isn't one you can already cast, you can buy it from her. There's also a PERSUADE option where you say "I think you know I'll pass," but I have never successfully used it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

There is a set of spells it can be and they choose one randomly, but if it isn't one you can already cast, you can buy it from her. There's also a PERSUADE option where you say "I think you know I'll pass," but I have never successfully used it.

Oh yes I forgot about the persuade check.

So, the sum total of my wizardly might as Archmage of Winterhold college, finest and last bastion of magical learning and power in the entirety of Skyrim, is that I have blocked a fireball once.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You can also Dragon Shout and she'll be impressed enough to let you in.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wasteland 2 was pretty meh. Then again, I've got high hopes for the developer's cut. Called shots are back!

E: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/1290484 No nutshots, back to meh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I legitimately love how many things you can do in Skyrim by just yelling really loud. I can't count the number of times something has been too close to people to steal, and I have yelled them off the shelves into a dark corner and then stolen them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

He might be referring to Wasteland 2, which Obsidian had something to do with making / publishing / leavening / decorating / etc. but wasn't the developer I think. Common opinion is that it suffers from Nostalgianosis and ignores the gameplay/technical innovations of the last 25 years. It's getting a huge patch to fix this supposedly, but first impressions are hard to shake.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Davoren posted:

The future is mobile. We'll be seeing version 3 or something of that vault game, and it will be by Obsidian. No story, lots of IAPs, but you can mod your weapons properly now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

Bholder posted:

aww little baby mad that he can't find .50 caliber ammo at level 1?? I'm sorry you're too cognitively challenged to understand how much more wrong Fallout 3's story is while you sperg out about relatively minor foibles in New Vegas. Tell us about how well written Little Lamplight is and how much you want to see something else like it in Fallout 4

Nevets posted:

He might be referring to Wasteland 2, which Obsidian had something to do with making / publishing / leavening / decorating / etc. but wasn't the developer I think. Common opinion is that it suffers from Nostalgianosis and ignores the gameplay/technical innovations of the last 25 years. It's getting a huge patch to fix this supposedly, but first impressions are hard to shake.
Only Chris Avellone had anything to do with it

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 13, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

aww little baby mad that he can't find .50 caliber ammo at level 1?? I'm sorry you're too cognitively challenged to understand how much more wrong Fallout 3's story is while you sperg out about relatively minor foibles in New Vegas. Tell us about how well written Little Lamplight is and how much you want to see something else like it in Fallout 4

This petty rivalry is embarrassing to watch.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

This petty rivalry is embarrassing to watch.
Mutual shitposting will continue until Postal 4 is released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He's confusing Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian with Brian Fargo of inXile.

• Locked thread