Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Has it taken longer? I didn't know about the series until ep 2 but it's been around 2 months since 3 right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CottonWolf posted:

It might take them longer to get episodes out than say Telltale, but this is the right way to do episodic content.

Tales From the Borderlands has only managed 3 episodes in almost a year. Life Is Strange has been a lot faster than that. The Wolf Among Us also took a ridiculous amount of time. Game of Thrones is about the only one they've done that's been more or less on-schedule.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
There were 53 days between the release of Episode 1 and Episode 2, and 56 days between the release of Episode 2 and Episode 3. If Episode 4 comes out on the 14th, that'll be another 56 days.

So far they're doing a really good job of keeping the content coming without too much time in between each episode!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

precision posted:

Tales From the Borderlands has only managed 3 episodes in almost a year. Life Is Strange has been a lot faster than that. The Wolf Among Us also took a ridiculous amount of time. Game of Thrones is about the only one they've done that's been more or less on-schedule.

It also blows. I'd rather wait and get a good game than get timely mediocrity

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Wolf Among Us at least has the excuse that it had to do that one huge episode rewrite. Borderlands is/was probably pushed aside for GoT, especially so it can coincide with the new season, but goddamn does it blow so far.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

- The Decision/Consequences tree is becoming a beast as the story goes. (see: 29:12)

I see this and it gets me really excited for any pay off for the choices I've made in the next or last episode. I hope, anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Telltale kinda caught lightning in a bottle with TWD and none of their attempts before or after have come anywhere close. I also feel like this genre tends to show its seams the more you think about it so having three series going on at once can't be helping.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
The only good Telltale franchise is Sam & Max. Which of course they've abandoned, so they can make games people actually buy.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Telltale kinda caught lightning in a bottle with TWD and none of their attempts before or after have come anywhere close. I also feel like this genre tends to show its seams the more you think about it so having three series going on at once can't be helping.

It doesn't help that the lead writers for TWD season 1 left to do their own thing. I'm not as down on their recent stuff as some people are, but man does Life is Strange put everything except maybe Borderlands to shame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Borderlands and Wolf Among Us are both really good, but I think what's causing genre fatigue here isn't the nature of the form, but simply the fact that nobody has yet to write a story as good as Lee and Clem's.

Though there are definitely problems with the form at this point too, such as Game of Thrones having nothing in it that even resembles "a puzzle" or "exploring a location". It's basically a Visual Novel with QTEs and it's always hilarious when you gain control of a character only to find out all you can do is walk (or limp) forward about 10 feet to the next conversation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GoT also have 'Game Over' conversation choices which goes against the nature of the whole thing.

So yeah, it basically is a VN.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hopkins FBI posted:

The only good Telltale franchise is Sam & Max. Which of course they've abandoned, so they can make games people actually buy.

The Sam and Max series was fantastic but I've never met another person in real life who actually played them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

telltale is bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

precision posted:

Borderlands and Wolf Among Us are both really good, but I think what's causing genre fatigue here isn't the nature of the form, but simply the fact that nobody has yet to write a story as good as Lee and Clem's.

Though there are definitely problems with the form at this point too, such as Game of Thrones having nothing in it that even resembles "a puzzle" or "exploring a location". It's basically a Visual Novel with QTEs and it's always hilarious when you gain control of a character only to find out all you can do is walk (or limp) forward about 10 feet to the next conversation.

I felt like the puzzles and QTEs were the weakest parts of TWD also. They took up time but were rarely challenging, and to be honest I wouldn't want them to be, either. Life is Strange has a good thing going in the sense that its Rewind gimmick ties directly into the narrative gameplay itself, so that you feel as if you're contributing to the story by choosing to rewind instead of "well we reached another hub section, go talk to these people and collect item X Y and Z to progress." It's subtle but actually quite clever in its implementation.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Hopefully firewatch is good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tales from the Borderlands manages to be the rare comedic game that actually regularly makes me laugh, as opposed to maybe a slight chuckle or a quick exhalation out the nose, so as far as I'm concerned, those guys are wizards. However, I was also singing the praises of Wolf Among Us right up until the last episode that completely dropped the ball on everything, so who knows, maybe they'll have Gallagher write episode 5 or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There are so many better and more interesting adventure games coming out that I'm pretty much done with Telltale once Game of Thrones ends. This game is one of them and next episode should be good poo poo.

Also I want to play Firewatch right now...

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 12, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Life is Strange also has the fact that exploring environments and going through people's stuff reveals important characterisation informs some particularly important choices.

But in Telltale games you can examine a rack of spears and get a camera angle change and the character saying "it's a rack of spears. They're pointy."

Telltale's problem is that they took all the wrong lessons from The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure they've made the new games even MORE linear, and having protagonist switching is completely counter to the idea of putting the player in control.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

VagueRant posted:

Life is Strange also has the fact that exploring environments and going through people's stuff reveals important characterisation informs some particularly important choices.

But in Telltale games you can examine a rack of spears and get a camera angle change and the character saying "it's a rack of spears. They're pointy."

Telltale's problem is that they took all the wrong lessons from The Walking Dead. I'm pretty sure they've made the new games even MORE linear, and having protagonist switching is completely counter to the idea of putting the player in control.

I agree, and even if exploring everything and rewinding to get all the dialogue choices doesn't inform some future decision, it still gives interesting and important parts of the story as a whole. I feel like you could speed run through the game in a few hours if you wanted, but you would miss most of the story which is hidden in the (optional) details.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I found it very immersive when I looked in Dana's wastebin and read the crinkled love note from Logan with my rear end in her face.

Also after seeing some of that Minecraft Story Mode thing I'd be fine with Telltale falling into a sinkhole.

Looking forward to Episode 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

There are so many better and more interesting adventure games coming out that I'm pretty much done with Telltale once Game of Thrones ends. This game is one of them and next episode should be good poo poo.

What's on the horizon besides Firewatch? That new space thing from Fullbright? Did that Myst-esque kickstarter ever get off the ground?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

What's on the horizon besides Firewatch? That new space thing from Fullbright? Did that Myst-esque kickstarter ever get off the ground?
Well Kentucky Route Zero, Dreamfall Chapters, and Dream Machine still need to fully come out. There's Night in the Woods, which I backed, they released a standalone side-story ala KRZ months back that was cool. I also backed Jenny LeClue, they released a demo not too long ago that I haven't got around to playing yet but I've heard nothing but praise. WadjetEye is publishing another game, Shardlight, and Dave Gilbert just recently revealed that the next WadjetEye developed game will be an adventure game spiritual successor to BloodNet and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. There's another game being made by ex-Telltale guys that are about a bunch of teenagers getting stuck on island filled with malevolent ghosts that has potential. Daedalic's upcoming game The Devil's Men has the potential to be good as well.

I was also referring to games that have also recently come out, like Technobabylon, Her Story, D4's PC port, etc.

You really aren't hurting if you want quality adventure games anymore.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I bought the game a few days ago, I skipped it when it first came out because I didn't think I fit in the targeted demographic.

This game makes me feel oddly melancholic. Its great, the story is great, and i've been recommending it to all my friends. Very excited for episode 4.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Torgo2727 posted:

This game makes me feel oddly melancholic.

I think that's what most of us felt playing it and that's exactly what Dontnod were going for. The soundtrack is amazing, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and this one knocks it out of the park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cGzJ_L_aK0

Also on Spotify

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
loving French and their melancholy bullshit making me feel these feelings. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That's one of the reasons that this game is really good, you really don't get many games with a similar tone of melancholic nostalgia and the like.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crappy Jack posted:

Tales from the Borderlands manages to be the rare comedic game that actually regularly makes me laugh, as opposed to maybe a slight chuckle or a quick exhalation out the nose, so as far as I'm concerned, those guys are wizards. However, I was also singing the praises of Wolf Among Us right up until the last episode that completely dropped the ball on everything, so who knows, maybe they'll have Gallagher write episode 5 or something.

I actually liked the last episode of The Wolf Among Us, but, you know, at least I get the backlash on that. Counting Telltale out after what we've seen from Tales From the Borderlands so far just registers as either piling on or just flat-out madness.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I've only played the first season of Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us but so far the first three chapters of Life is Strange have been far better. It feels like the choices and repercussions Max has already made are more serious and they offer better branches than any of the choices from Telltale's games.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I'm pretty sure fate is going to keep trying to gently caress up Chloe's life and existence Final Destination style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Georgia Peach posted:

I'm pretty sure fate is going to keep trying to gently caress up Chloe's life and existence Final Destination style.

My theory is that Chloe's fate and Max's power are tied to the same event in the bathroom, and setting things right will result in Chloe getting shot, or Max losing her power, or some combination thereof.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

My theory is that Chloe's fate and Max's power are tied to the same event in the bathroom, and setting things right will result in Chloe getting shot, or Max losing her power, or some combination thereof.

I doubt it. It totally could go that way, but the big clinch of the ending seems to be Max picking her photo for the contest (and I'm still betting that's the ending-marker, like "you got the Chloe Ending" with a picture of her) and that doesn't really quite gel if it's out of a paradox and she's been dead a week. I don't doubt that we're going to really gently caress the timelines in Episode 4 in new and interesting ways trying to patch things up though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I doubt it. It totally could go that way, but the big clinch of the ending seems to be Max picking her photo for the contest (and I'm still betting that's the ending-marker, like "you got the Chloe Ending" with a picture of her) and that doesn't really quite gel if it's out of a paradox and she's been dead a week. I don't doubt that we're going to really gently caress the timelines in Episode 4 in new and interesting ways trying to patch things up though.

I have a dumb theory that At some point, we're going back to the beginning of the game, since Max must take a selfie in order to move past the little prologue area and into the bathroom, where the plot takes off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max posted:

I have a dumb theory that At some point, we're going back to the beginning of the game, since Max must take a selfie in order to move past the little prologue area and into the bathroom, where the plot takes off.

Yeah, I could see that happening. I definitely think there'll be at least something tying back to that moment, just because it's when her powers first appear out of the blue.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really don't think the Donnie Darko ripoff ending would be plausible anymore considering how the game has been really strongly hinting that Rachel probably had time powers too and just having everything reset to the beginning would just leave that subplot completely unresolved. It would also be lazy as all gently caress and DONTNOD have proven that they are much better than that. What I think is one possibility is that The Vortex is just a freak temporal disaster completely separate from Chloe getting shot. The game showing that spirit animals are real and that Max's appears to her hints that there's some higher benevolent supernatural force at work. How I see it, Rachel was given time powers in order to stop the Vortex by that benevolent force but she proceeded to shirk her duties and abuse the hell out of her powers by manipulating everyone. She also desperately wanted to leave Arcadia Bay because she wanted to escape from her responsibilities and the town getting nuked by The Vortex. poo poo most likely caught up with her though and she was either killed or trapped in paradox or something like that. Then Max was chosen as the new hero and drawn back to Arcadia Bay to fix Rachel's mistakes.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 13, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I agree that they wouldn't go Donnie Darko in this game, because that would really be lame and I like how they've found ways to really make your actions in a time travel game have consequences that you can't take back so far. I still think we'll go back there, but I doubt it would be to set things back to the way they were supposed to be. Hopefully it would be to do something interesting with that kind of twist.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I really kinda feel like this is the kinda concept where there's very little chance of a satisfying ending, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Time travel tends to be not very well-done in fiction, and the better examples I personally have experience with all have it as a more peripheral thing, where the bigger the focus on mechanics or consequences of time travel, the less coherent or interesting it ends up. Because realistic takes on time travel are boring, unrealistic ones tend to beg the question of why focus so much on it if you're just gonna handwave it anyway.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
What I'm getting is that I should probably watch Donnie Darko, huh?

Still on the fence about the alternate timeline, since Chloe being stuck to the chair is out of the question (right? :smith:) but devoting precious time developing a parallel story just to rewind it all back would be pretty frustrating. Then again maybe not... doing something dumb then rewinding and doing it right is the bread and butter of this game, even if it usually happens on a (much) smaller scale.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I think that's what most of us felt playing it and that's exactly what Dontnod were going for. The soundtrack is amazing, I'm a sucker for nostalgia and this one knocks it out of the park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cGzJ_L_aK0

Also on Spotify

I was actually looking for an official soundtrack (with the original score). Sucks that there isn't one, but extracting the files is easy enough so I can just build it myself. Probably leave out the Angus and Julia Stone song too; I don't hate it or anything, but it seems like I've heard it a million times already.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

seravid posted:

What I'm getting is that I should probably watch Donnie Darko, huh?

It's good, and was pretty interesting when it first came out. It may not have the same impact it once did now that it's been more than a decade since it came out.

Do not watch the director's cut.

As to the other stuff I don't really think we'll be stuck in the alternate timeline, because they've set up a lot of stuff that just won't pay off if we are stuck there. I can see it being used to gather information from inside the vortex club about what could have possibly happened, now that Max's social situation has altered pretty significantly, and I imagine we'll actually be going to the party where Kate was drugged. In general the alternate timeline seems like a cool jumping off point, but it would feel pretty hollow if we ultimately end up anywhere but the first timeline.

Or not! maybe they have something interesting cooked up. I just can't imagine what it would be.

Edit: now that I think about it, the previews of the party looked like they were for the upcoming party, not the one Kate was at.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I fuckin' love this game's soundtrack. Dat Bright Eyes song. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Max posted:

It's good, and was pretty interesting when it first came out. It may not have the same impact it once did now that it's been more than a decade since it came out.

Do not watch the director's cut.

As to the other stuff I don't really think we'll be stuck in the alternate timeline, because they've set up a lot of stuff that just won't pay off if we are stuck there. I can see it being used to gather information from inside the vortex club about what could have possibly happened, now that Max's social situation has altered pretty significantly, and I imagine we'll actually be going to the party where Kate was drugged. In general the alternate timeline seems like a cool jumping off point, but it would feel pretty hollow if we ultimately end up anywhere but the first timeline.

Or not! maybe they have something interesting cooked up. I just can't imagine what it would be.

Edit: now that I think about it, the previews of the party looked like they were for the upcoming party, not the one Kate was at.

I still think it would be really interesting that if towards the end of the game you get to choose which timeline you want to make permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't really believe that the next epsode launches tomorow. There should have been some real annoncement by now.

• Locked thread