Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Weird, I build like your brother... It's like I want to build biomes but somehow don't have the patience/understand for more complex asthetics.

I started a new character with 1.3 cause i havent played since the early release of 1.2..... Wow... lots of the same but still some really cool new poo poo.

Some advice I would give to newbies is: destroy 2 dark orbs/hearts once you get some bombs. they drop cool weapons without summoning anything other than meteors (which you can farm with dynamite).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

Can you fight Fishron in a drained ocean?

Not really, you need to fish him out of the ocean to fight him to begin with.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I kind of wish the Moon Lord's Expert Mode drop was, instead of a crystal to control gravity, a crystal to control time. Like, maybe it advances time by 12 hours thereby allowing you to turn night into day and vice versa. I could see this being used to get certain events to occur (invasions, solar eclipse, blood moon, meteorites, etc), or the traveling merchant, to skip events if you don't want to deal with them, go right to the next Angler's quest instead of having to wait, advance through the phases of the moon for merchant items/enemies, harvesting certain plants, etc. Of course, to prevent someone from spamming it just give it a cooldown of like 30 seconds or a minute. Maybe something like this would be tricky to program but it seems like that would've been a hell of a lot better than basically an infinite gravitation potion with restrictions. Plus, since the moon is associated with night it's kind of related like with the moon and gravity.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Call it the Timey-Wimey Ball to cram in another meme reference!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

You can get a sundial from fishing that advances time to the next morning. You can only use it once a week though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had a really cool idea for the Expert Mode drop too but now I can't remember it.

I wish they'd made a way to force a Slime Rain or Blood Moon though like you can for the Solar Eclipse. Which also turned out to be way more powerful than I was expecting.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Most of the expert mode drops aren't very compelling tbh. What are the good ones, Eye of Cthulu / Eater of Worlds / Wall of Flesh / Fishron?

The time changing thing would've definitely been a better Moon Lord one; the functionality already exists in the game's code.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

TWIST FIST posted:

You can get a sundial from fishing that advances time to the next morning. You can only use it once a week though

Neat, I've never found one of those, I'll have to hunt it down! The once-a-week thing is lame but being able to do if every day is kinda overpowered I guess. Still, the Gravity Globe is just so... ehhhh, especially for a hardest-difficulty, final boss reward and since there's an item that lets you do the same thing already in the game. Just seems like there are so many other things that could be more interesting/useful. Like, I dunno, an item that lets you pass through blocks like certain enemies but has a timer like breath, or a Lunar Stone that maybe makes you immune to almost all debuffs not covered by the Ankh Shield and gives infinite breath and negates fall damage? Heck, I would accept a pre-nerf Rod of Discord.

Edit: You know what I just thought of? How about some kind of Celestial Converter that turns blocks into other blocks? Like put 2 dirt blocks in and get 1 pink ice or ash or something. Maybe it'd be too ridiculous to be any type of block or brick (like put dirt in, get chlorophyte bricks back, but make it so you can never get raw ores i guess?) but that'd be pretty cool, and it'd be a way to get rid of all this dirt and stone you accumulate and facilitate building. Would make it easier to get rare blocks too like the rainbow ones, or ones you can't get in your world like alternative dungeon bricks.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

RareAcumen posted:

Holy poo poo, that organization system.

I put building blocks like stone, dirt, ice, blah blah on the right and generic drop loot and poo poo on the left. It looks like a giant spergy pain in the rear end to set up (it kind of is), but once it's up and running, blazing through spamming quick stack to nearby chests makes dungeon delving so much easier in the long run.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

Read posted:

Most of the expert mode drops aren't very compelling tbh. What are the good ones, Eye of Cthulu / Eater of Worlds / Wall of Flesh / Fishron?

The time changing thing would've definitely been a better Moon Lord one; the functionality already exists in the game's code.

I dunno, I think most of the expert mode drops are pretty fun and cool. The Eater of Worlds scarf is quite good, and the Wall of Flesh extra accessory is awesome, but my friends and I got a big kick out of stuff like the bee pack that makes huge bees fire out sometimes, and we used the thing that makes slimes non-aggressive for a long time. The mechanical cart is awesome, too. It goes WAY faster than the iron cart. And the spore sac's great for when you're not fighting bosses, the spores do serious work. Really, outside of the Moon Lord's incredibly underwhelming drop (just use a gravitation potion), I think all of the expert mode drops are pretty neat and worthwhile.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

RatHat posted:

Is there anything that you can pass through but can also hang lanterns and banners from? I want to hang banners in my arena for the buffs but the blocks they're hanging from are gonna block and kill me someday.

You can actually hang banners from platforms, but you have to hammer them 3 times each. Basically you want it so the platform occupies the lower half of a tile rather than the upper half. This lets you hang stuff from below, but prevents you from putting anything on top of them.

Here's an image showing what I mean:

You can hang stuff from the lower level of platforms, but not from the top one. Conversely, you can put something on top of the upper layer, but not on the lower.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 13, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Abandoned Toaster posted:

I kind of wish the Moon Lord's Expert Mode drop was, instead of a crystal to control gravity, a crystal to control time. Like, maybe it advances time by 12 hours thereby allowing you to turn night into day and vice versa. I could see this being used to get certain events to occur (invasions, solar eclipse, blood moon, meteorites, etc), or the traveling merchant, to skip events if you don't want to deal with them, go right to the next Angler's quest instead of having to wait, advance through the phases of the moon for merchant items/enemies, harvesting certain plants, etc. Of course, to prevent someone from spamming it just give it a cooldown of like 30 seconds or a minute. Maybe something like this would be tricky to program but it seems like that would've been a hell of a lot better than basically an infinite gravitation potion with restrictions. Plus, since the moon is associated with night it's kind of related like with the moon and gravity.

They just need a second sundial that advances time to the next night instead of the next morning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Martians.... come out and plaaay....

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Read posted:

Have you actually tried the Mechanical Minecart? 102 MPH is pretty compelling.

Golem is probably helpful for autofarm builds for enhancing survivability.

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

LLCoolJD posted:

I beat Moon Lord on my first try. Still waiting to beat Duke Fishron. Thing keeps charging me to death :emo:

Cosmic Key from the Martian Event and whatever heatseeker you like. Just fly in circles and murder him. If you can kill Moon Lord, you can get the nebula suit and the nebula arcanum, they will END fishron.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Trying to get a Moon Charm chanced into the best possible circumstance:
Blood Moon, Full Moon, Expert Hardmode.

I ended up with 3 Werewolf Banners, 5 adhesive bandages, 2 fast clocks, a blindfold, trifold map, 1 plat, 20 gold and 4 amaroks for some extra cash.

No Moon Charm of course, you never get what you're after, I would have loved this if I hadn't finished my Ankh already. :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The pumpkin moon event is bonkers for cash farming. Running around with the greed ring, I pull 4-5 plat every time I attempt it, and that's without accounting for all the extra gear you can sell.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Supremezero posted:

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

What on earth do you still need light sources for by the time you can kill the Moon Lord?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Wiped out everything and started with a completely fresh character, completely new world. I am not a veteran (I've only gotten into Hardmode once, and pretty much stopped playing after getting run over by a loving unicorn or something).

Why does Terraria give me so many Climbing Claws? Seriously, I've gotten about 4-5 Climbing Claws from various chests, and a couple of the things that let you double jump. Apparently, the game has decided that I need to open a Climbing Claw store, and that I have no other material needs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I love how this game goes Dark Souls on you in certain caverns where a fuckoff boulder will drop and smoosh your character randomly. What a great way to drop all of this fancy Tungsten armor I just crafted :(

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Just found a fantastic use for the Xenopopper: Wrecking Plantera due to the delay in the shots. I was worried because of how much of a cluster the fight can be regarding targets. The delay is perfect and subsequently wrecks despite all of the plants.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vargatron posted:

I love how this game goes Dark Souls on you in certain caverns where a fuckoff boulder will drop and smoosh your character randomly. What a great way to drop all of this fancy Tungsten armor I just crafted :(

Yeah, I always carry around wire cutters so I can switch to them occasionally and see traps.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are there any mods that do auto inventory sort? That's my only (minor) complaint with the game at this point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This might be obvious but it has helped me so much I figure I'll mention it; if you manage to get a money trough, put all your potions in the piggy bank. I only used a handful of potions before but now I use tons of them since its so easy to take one out and drink it. I don't have to plan ahead or bother with placing a safe to get potions out, just summon the pig and drink up. Makes things a lot more convenient.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Internet Kraken posted:

This might be obvious but it has helped me so much I figure I'll mention it; if you manage to get a money trough, put all your potions in the piggy bank. I only used a handful of potions before but now I use tons of them since its so easy to take one out and drink it. I don't have to plan ahead or bother with placing a safe to get potions out, just summon the pig and drink up. Makes things a lot more convenient.

You can press 'b' to auto-use one of every buff item in your inventory that isn't already active. :ssh:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cicadalek posted:

You can actually hang banners from platforms, but you have to hammer them 3 times each. Basically you want it so the platform occupies the lower half of a tile rather than the upper half. This lets you hang stuff from below, but prevents you from putting anything on top of them.

So THAT'S the trick. A special place in Valhalla awaits you.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

President Ark posted:

You can press 'b' to auto-use one of every buff item in your inventory that isn't already active. :ssh:

:vince:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cicadalek posted:

Here's an image showing what I mean:

You can hang stuff from the lower level of platforms, but not from the top one. Conversely, you can put something on top of the upper layer, but not on the lower.

Thank you so much for this, it makes my arena a lot better now. Strangely lanterns still can't be hung from bottom level platforms though.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
*stares at his game in horror*

What exactly did I create here that caused 4 Solar Eclipses in a row, with 2 Blood Moons along the way? Does building rockets banish the sun?!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

President Ark posted:

That requires keeping potions on you though. My point was that if all your potions are stored in the piggy bank you can pull any of them out when you need them rather than having to plan ahead and bring everything you might possibly require.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Just found a fantastic use for the Xenopopper: Wrecking Plantera due to the delay in the shots. I was worried because of how much of a cluster the fight can be regarding targets. The delay is perfect and subsequently wrecks despite all of the plants.

Fish up a Seedler in the jungle, I easily beat Plantera without making a huge arena. Seriously, carved out 30x20 blocks and killed him, Seedler is absolutely ridiculous up until you need to do Moon Lord stuff.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ugh I hate when people in this thread are all "Just fish up X item and use that!"

*fishes for an hour and ends up with 600 bass*

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

kazil posted:

Ugh I hate when people in this thread are all "Just fish up X item and use that!"

You need better bait or a bigger thing to fish out of. Or a better fishing rod. Some things have a minimum fishing power you need to catch it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

kazil posted:

Yeah, make sure to have a nice jungle lake, it doesn't seem to be that rare, 1/100 chance or something like that sounds about right.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mzbundifund posted:

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells?

Tinker a Band of Starpower with a Band of Regeneration, then tinker the result with a Shackle to get Magic Cuffs. It restores mana when you take damage. The Band of Starpower comes from shadow orbs, so you can't get it from a world with Crimson, by the way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mountaineer posted:

Tinker a Band of Starpower with a Band of Regeneration, then tinker the result with a Shackle to get Magic Cuffs. It restores mana when you take damage.

Note that for some stupid reason bands of starpower can only be gotten from shadow orbs, so if you are in a crimson world you'll have too make a new world to smash orbs in for a bit before coming back.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mzbundifund posted:

So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

Mana regeneration potions. If you're fighting in an arena, place stars in a bottle.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Internet Kraken posted:

That requires keeping potions on you though. My point was that if all your potions are stored in the piggy bank you can pull any of them out when you need them rather than having to plan ahead and bring everything you might possibly require.

It's also annoying that you have to only keep the "right" potions on you.

For example, if I recall correctly, the autobuff 'b' assumes that you want to use any gravitation potions that happen to be in your inventory. And you usually don't.

I wish that the game would just let you drink potions from your inventory without having to hotkey them first (without having to set the autopause setting - I know you can do it that way, but I don't want to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the buff limit include passive buffs like your pets, campfires, lanterns, banners ect.? Or is it just potions buffs that get counted?

Basically what I'm asking is should I ever be worried about going over the buff limit and wasting my potions?