Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Good lord...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Why do I need an ilvl of 200 to give cheeseburgers to that guy for ERP?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Poultron posted:

Why do I need an ilvl of 200 to give cheeseburgers to that guy for ERP?

It's a very large cheeseburger.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
cows in eorzea are exceptionally rare, i mean think about it, have you ever seen one

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009
Poultron, we actually do have a goon LS on Balmung. Send either me, Cecille Williams or Calto Aldis for an invite. I'm currently in the land of garbage internet so probably Calto will be your best bet.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

cows in eorzea are exceptionally rare, i mean think about it, have you ever seen one

I'm on Balmung, I see them all the time :smug:

CoalforChristmas posted:

Poultron, we actually do have a goon LS on Balmung. Send either me, Cecille Williams or Calto Aldis for an invite. I'm currently in the land of garbage internet so probably Calto will be your best bet.

Thanks, I'll send you guys a message at some point. Not currently at home so I'll have to remember.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:dogbutton:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

gently caress yes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After the dragoon discussion last night I sat down when I got home so I could parse out some numbers. I currently 549 SS with a 2.42 second GCD.

I tried a number of runs where I alternate CT and FT combos and ones where I still typically would go CT FT FT CT. I had BoD up all of the time and did not use any other cooldowns or abilities. I made sure to hit my combo finishers in the right spot.

The ultimate conclusion I came to is it's a slight dps loss to step on CT and disembowel. The difference is pretty much negligible, though. When they had the exact same crit rate I saw about a 10 DPS drop by simply alternating my combos.

BoD and the combo finishers add about 50 DPS. Without BoD up, alternating cost me another 20 dps vs the 2.x rotation.

So really, it's situational. Do you have another dragoon in the party? Don't alternate as you will lose more because their disembowel helps you. If you have a machinist or bard in the party and no other dragoon, alternate because you'll be hurting their DPS with disembowel off for 2-3 GCDs. If you're the only piercing damage type, it's slightly better to not alternate combos.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
After visiting the Gold Saucer for the first time I have concluded that Triple Triad is the true endgame.

This is fantastic and I will drop everything immediately as soon as I see an NPC to challenge. Can't wait to get some better cards in my deck.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know what RP is, but what is ERP? Do I want to know? :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's very erotic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

erotic role play

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Extreme Role Play.

It's like normal role play, but involves fire and guitar solos. You have to complete Hard Role Play sessions to even start them.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
edit: feck

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

After the dragoon discussion last night I sat down when I got home so I could parse out some numbers. I currently 549 SS with a 2.42 second GCD.

I tried a number of runs where I alternate CT and FT combos and ones where I still typically would go CT FT FT CT. I had BoD up all of the time and did not use any other cooldowns or abilities. I made sure to hit my combo finishers in the right spot.

The ultimate conclusion I came to is it's a slight dps loss to step on CT and disembowel. The difference is pretty much negligible, though. When they had the exact same crit rate I saw about a 10 DPS drop by simply alternating my combos.

BoD and the combo finishers add about 50 DPS. Without BoD up, alternating cost me another 20 dps vs the 2.x rotation.

So really, it's situational. Do you have another dragoon in the party? Don't alternate as you will lose more because their disembowel helps you. If you have a machinist or bard in the party and no other dragoon, alternate because you'll be hurting their DPS with disembowel off for 2-3 GCDs. If you're the only piercing damage type, it's slightly better to not alternate combos.

source your quotes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Touchfuzzy posted:

Extreme Role Play.

It's like normal role play, but involves fire and guitar solos. You have to complete Hard Role Play sessions to even start them.

Just trust me, you really don't want to try savage role play.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Poultron posted:

I'm on Balmung, I see them all the time :smug:

Thanks, I'll send you guys a message at some point. Not currently at home so I'll have to remember.

Get ready for the ERP ride of your life in this LS.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I'm a well known Enterprise Resource Planner.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
just making sure - the time that the server restrictions are updated on the website is the only time they change in terms from being restricted or not? ie. its only work checking at 4/8/1/6/11

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Was 2.55 a full length patch?

Why wasn't it called 2.6 then?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it was kind of minor, it didn't have much story and only a new trial. full patches tend to have dungeons and other poo poo to go along with it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

Was 2.55 a full length patch?

Why wasn't it called 2.6 then?

It was a big patch from a story point of view but didn't have the content to be labelled 2.6

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Count me as another person who really enjoyed the DRK 30-50 story. It's also well worth reading the journal entries if you haven't already.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fluegel posted:

After visiting the Gold Saucer for the first time I have concluded that Triple Triad is the true endgame.

This is fantastic and I will drop everything immediately as soon as I see an NPC to challenge. Can't wait to get some better cards in my deck.

Slight problem is the painstaking part of slowly getting the 30 cards needed to unlock the ability to use multiple level 2s. Especially since NPCs drop them at a frustratingly low rate at times.

I'd say get a level 5 card as soon as possible to make some NPCs easier to beat. You can get Bahamut from King Elmer at the Gold Saucer (he uses Plus, so with careful playing you can beat him fairly easily). Alternatively, get Squall by beating any 30 NPCs, or Shantotto by winning 30 tournament matches (just go fight the two weaklings in the Gold Saucer).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I am becoming increasingly convinced that our mammet airship pilots methodology for "harvesting" anything is to ram the hull of the ship into said objects and scrape off whatever gets stuck to it.

This has some troubling implications when they come back with what appears to be bamboo weave that someone would have to have crafted together.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Just made me realize that MCH would have been even cooler with mammets instead of turrets

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a cat youtube posted:

just making sure - the time that the server restrictions are updated on the website is the only time they change in terms from being restricted or not? ie. its only work checking at 4/8/1/6/11

No, it gets updated constantly. If you work 9-5 just have the game open during your morning routine and try every few minutes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can get Bahamut from King Elmer at the Gold Saucer (he uses Plus, so with careful playing you can beat him fairly easily).

You can do this with the starter deck. King Elmer can also give you the Godbert Manderville card.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, when gaining attribute points, what should I do with them if I'm still not sure which class to focus on later on?

I mean my character is a Lancer so I should spend them on str (I think?), but what if I later on decide to go black mage or fantasy wizard or whatever, can I recover those points and spend them on Int?

Or are they so few that it doesn't really matter?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hugoon Chavez posted:

So, when gaining attribute points, what should I do with them if I'm still not sure which class to focus on later on?

I mean my character is a Lancer so I should spend them on str (I think?), but what if I later on decide to go black mage or fantasy wizard or whatever, can I recover those points and spend them on Int?

It is spent by class anyway, but resetting it is super cheap at your Grand Company. Like 250 seals I think?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hugoon Chavez posted:

You get a new set to allocate with every class/job so put them to use for your current class :science:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

They are class specific so just go with you main stat. The only ones that give people trouble are the arcanist and tanking jobs. But you can buy an item with grand company seals that resets it if need be.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
yeah your stat allocation is isolated by class, also the stats barely matter tbh, also they're easy to reset

this game really doesn't punish you for anything. the only thing i can think of is retainer class selection

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pews posted:

They are class specific so just go with you main stat. The only ones that give people trouble are the arcanist and tanking jobs. But you can buy an item with grand company seals that resets it if need be.

For arcanist, your allocations go towards ACN, and not SMN or SCH, right? Meaning you can't have a SMN with high INT then switch to SCH with high MND.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

For arcanist, your allocations go towards ACN, and not SMN or SCH, right? Meaning you can't have a SMN with high INT then switch to SCH with high MND.

Correct, but the number of points isn't all that many. If you play more SMN you go intelligence and get every so slightly more damage in cleric stance when playing SCH. If you main a SCH then mind of course. Its only a couple hundred seals for the GC item that lets you reset them IIRC so its no big deal.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

nope, it goes towards arcanist. if you main smn and swap to maining sch then you'll need to buy a keeper's hymn

they're really cheap though, if you can't afford 250 seals then you got bigger problems than 35 stat points

key point though is main, if you just play scholar occasionally then not switching isn't the end of all things, especially since 35 stat points isn't as much as it was relatively to your gear as it used to be

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Xerri Berry is my hero. :love:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

seiferguy posted:

This is correct. However, reset tokens are incredibly cheap (250 seals, aka a single fate).

If you don't want to switch back and forth, you should go INT if you play SMN at all. The reasoning behind this is that gaining ~50 dps or whatever is pretty important for a DPS class, but gaining ~50 hps doesn't really make a big difference for a healer because healing is mostly reactive and getting and extra 50-100hp on your physick isn't really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sword_man.gif posted:

nope, it goes towards arcanist. if you main smn and swap to maining sch then you'll need to buy a keeper's hymn

they're really cheap though, if you can't afford 250 seals then you got bigger problems than 35 stat points

key point though is main, if you just play scholar occasionally then not switching isn't the end of all things, especially since 35 stat points isn't as much as it was relatively to your gear as it used to be

Fair enough. I was considering leveling up Arcanist in the future since I'm a fan of DoTs (apparently this makes me weird!) since I have all the per-requisites for SMN and SCH and my ARC is already 15, and I need a DPS class. Getting gear for them should be pretty easy. I do the daily turn-ins for my GC for each DoH class, so I'm swimming in GC seals consistently.

• Locked thread