Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Popular Human posted:

:agreed:

(I'm reading some Vargas Llosa right now)

Which one? I've read Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter and The War of the End of the World which is a pretty hilarious binary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Do I have to read Go Set A Watchman

I feel like I have to read Go Set A Watchman

Anyway the New York Times review is up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

No

Honestly it would be better for the world if no one read it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not, nor will I, read it and decided it's bad, just like I've not, nor will I, read Mockingbird and decided it's a good book, for children to read.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've not, nor will I, read it and decided it's bad, just like I've not, nor will I, read Mockingbird and decided it's a good book, for children to read.

Same also I was reading about that book and was't like isn't Atticus Finch supposed to be a teen running through some rye

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Same also I was reading about that book and was't like isn't Atticus Finch supposed to be a teen running through some rye

no that's Tom Sawyer

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

End Of Worlds posted:

Death of the author

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

That was good, as were most of the other bits like his uncle sleeping with his dad's wife because they looked so alike and then the wife is like "well you should both go in a cobra pit and then one of you will die" and they do and one comes out but no ones really sure who it is. But there were bits (mostly at the end) where its like "oh yeah and i was lying down and it felt like there was a coffin on my chest, like I'd killed someone or something, because I probably killed someone in case you didn't pick up on that" and I wish it hadn't had that line because that sort of pushes me towards one interpretation of the entire thing (he killed his wife and is dwelling on it in death fever) when actually I much prefer another interpretation which it sort of hints at a few times (he killed himself and is sort of regretting it while dying of killing himself). I prefer the ambiguity that most of the book does really well and then a few lines sort of take that away IMO.

Blind owl spoilers I guess

Part of it is that I really do not feel that he is talking singularly about physical death but rather mixes in spiritual, artistic, and ego death as well. The women who is later possibly his wife can be interpreted as some form of ideal or his muse. Another thing is that most of the events may not have ever actually happened or at least in the way that it is portrayed in the book. Much of the scenes are mutations of the one preceding it each getting darker and more morbid as it goes on. Heck I really don't think the end of the book is really the end of his dream/hallucination but rather a place just to end on because otherwise the entire thing would keep going with ever more morbid mutations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A human heart posted:

I liked that part where it talks about the butcher looking at some sheep carcasses with a buyer's eye, and then later the same thing happens but there's an extra bit about how he looks at his wife the same way at night.

Yeah that part is really good.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

End Of Worlds posted:

I'm not going to read it because I never had the fondness for mockingbird that others had for it and I'm pretty sure Lee is being used.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

I'm not going to read it because I never had the fondness for mockingbird that others had for it and I'm pretty sure Lee is being used.

I'm not going to read it because I have a fondness for mockingbird and I'm pretty sure Lee is being used.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The funny thing is that Atticus Finch is kind of an obnoxiously idealized character and a perspective on the events and person from beyond the glittering perspective of his six-year old daughter would be genuinely interesting.

But that's not what this is.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Part of it is that I really do not feel that he is talking singularly about physical death but rather mixes in spiritual, artistic, and ego death as well. The women who is later possibly his wife can be interpreted as some form of ideal or his muse. Another thing is that most of the events may not have ever actually happened or at least in the way that it is portrayed in the book. Much of the scenes are mutations of the one preceding it each getting darker and more morbid as it goes on. Heck I really don't think the end of the book is really the end of his dream/hallucination but rather a place just to end on because otherwise the entire thing would keep going with ever more morbid mutations.

Hmmm I'm going to read it again because it's short and v good but I felt like some sentences were more real than others, like they were sort of keys to the other stuff. I'm not sure why I got that impression exactly but it's an impression I didn't really like and would be my only complaint, that it seemed like certain bits he wanted you to REALLY GET. I think maybe a bit of it stuck out to me because there's a few recurring ideas of everyone looking a bit like reflections of each other + transforming into the old man with the laugh that makes the hairs on your body stand on end that got me thinking that every character was just the narrator feeling alienated by himself but then just as I was thinking about that I read the line about the coffin weighing down on him like a dead woman's body and that stuck out to me and I got distracted by the much less interesting idea that he killed someone other than himself (not only physical suicide but also other kinds).

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which one? I've read Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter and The War of the End of the World which is a pretty hilarious binary

Feast of the Goat. It's really good so far.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

But you see, Atticus Finch was always the villain because in the first book he didn't believe a rape victim and made her feel bad in court.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Death in the Andes is pretty cool, also.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
What's good Melville besides Moby Dick? Is The Confidence-Man a good start?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am not sure how much we can equate non-fiction with Literature but read Ta-Nehisi Coates new book unless you are a worthless fucker

Besson posted:

What's good Melville besides Moby Dick?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Besson posted:

It's uh, one of the least accessible books I've ever come across, but it's good fun yeah.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bartleby is great. White Jacket is proto-Moby if you want more of the same.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure how much we can equate non-fiction with Literature but read Ta-Nehisi Coates new book unless you are a worthless fucker

i read this as tao lin and was going to beat you up in the weight room in book prison

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

i read this as tao lin and was going to beat you up in the weight room in book prison

who the gently caress is tao lin and how did you misread it from Ta-Nehisi Coates

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i saw a ta and I blacked out, duh

e: oh in response to your first question he's a piece of poo poo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
tao lin is what people are referring to when they talk about western civilization being moribund

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Harper Lee Announces Third Novel.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Besson posted:

Read the short fiction and then con man if u like metafiction and Pierre if you like incest

Tao Lin owns fuckers. Read Taipei I was shocked at how good it the writing was

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I ordered open city on ILL though don't Mon me book guys

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Business posted:

I ordered open city on ILL though don't Mon me book guys

Teju Cole is cool as hell though

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

who the gently caress is tao lin and how did you misread it from Ta-Nehisi Coates

Tao Lin is a widely acclaimed author of the new sincerity and he posted on something awful pretending nto to be himself to get people to read his books. He also did something to do with mumblecore which I assume is bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wait is new sincerity actually a thing? I thought it was a mocking term for the shoegazing lit that came after post-modernism.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think Tao Lin also raped someone?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think Tao Lin also raped someone?

That's insanely New Sincerity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What is important is that he raped without irony

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait is new sincerity actually a thing? I thought it was a mocking term for the shoegazing lit that came after post-modernism.

It's real as gently caress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

It's real as gently caress

I just clicked wikipedia and lol

quote:

New Sincerity is a term that has been used in music, aesthetics, film criticism, poetry, literary criticism and philosophy, generally to describe art or concepts that run against prevailing modes of postmodernist irony or cynicism. Its usage dates back to the mid-1980s.

(new sincerity) filmmakers from other countries such as Michel Gondry, Lars von Trier, the Dogme 95 movement, Aki Kaurismäki, and Pedro Almodóvar.

Who the gently caress considers Lars Von Trier uncynical and Pedro Almodovar unironic

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Tao Lin is a widely acclaimed author of the new sincerity and he posted on something awful pretending nto to be himself to get people to read his books

did this really happen

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 15, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What is The New Sincerity? Think of it as irony and sincerity combined like Voltron, to form a new movement of astonishing power.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Peel posted:

What is The New Sincerity? Think of it as irony and sincerity combined like Voltron, to form a new movement of astonishing power.

That's actually what it is

Except in Russia where it refers to uncynical post-Soviet poets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

did this really happen

yes

he also did it to gawker and it was funnier there