Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Secrets of Grindea is out on Steam now, after forever. Yay. :toot:

Shame it's early access, but the devs said something in a blogpost about Steam essentially requiring them to put it up publicly on the storefront for some reason instead of continuing to be unlisted for a while longer. :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269770/

The thread for it is over here, if anyone is interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626267

The summons and co-op are honestly the best part of it. :3: Do you wanna build a snowman? http://gfycat.com/ArcticInfamousIndianpangolin.webm

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Been waiting for Dex to hit fifty percent off for a while, nice.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jesto posted:

Secrets of Grindea is out on Steam now, after forever. Yay. :toot:

Shame it's early access, but the devs said something in a blogpost about Steam essentially requiring them to put it up publicly on the storefront for some reason instead of continuing to be unlisted for a while longer. :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269770/

The thread for it is over here, if anyone is interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626267

The summons and co-op are honestly the best part of it. :3: Do you wanna build a snowman? http://gfycat.com/ArcticInfamousIndianpangolin.webm

Whoa this actually looks really smooth and fun. What's the max level on it and roughly how long will it take? Even if there is no grinding, I'm happy to spend hours just beating up poo poo, if it's fun :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I'll say. Having not followed a single piece of news about this game I now know from that post alone that the Joker is not only in this game but either not dead or as some kind of Ghost of Batman's Guilt that in either case follows you around like a poorly voiced Navi.

Excuse me Mark Hamill is a god among voice actors.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Morter posted:

Whoa this actually looks really smooth and fun. What's the max level on it and roughly how long will it take? Even if there is no grinding, I'm happy to spend hours just beating up poo poo, if it's fun :v:

There's not exactly a hard level cap. You get more EXP for killing higher level enemies, less EXP for killing weaker enemies, no EXP for killing super low leveled enemies. You should be able to hit 19-23 playing through Story mode normally. Maybe more in co-op, I'm not sure if the enemies gain levels in 2-4 player. It's enough to get a Gold Charge in any given skill or spell, that snowman is the Gold Charge of Frosty Friend.

Here's some more if you want to see what the combat is like.

http://zippy.gfycat.com/MildMediumHippopotamus.webm - Heroic Strike. http://gfycat.com/FirstAllFalcon.webm - Meteor. http://zippy.gfycat.com/FarawayImpoliteAmericancrayfish.webm - Whirlslash. http://gfycat.com/AnotherPracticalAxisdeer.webm - Cloud Strike

I'd say Story Mode alone clocks in at about 5-10+ hours depending on if you stick just to the story bosses and dungeons, or much more if you do the sidequests and optional bosses or other bonus content. The bosses get extra attacks in Hard Mode, so there's a lot of replayability there.

You can get up to about level 17-18 in Roguelike-mode, but since it currently ends after 13 floors it's impossible to get past level 18. This is a full playthrough of Roguelike-mode up to the final battle with 4 people using only one skill (not a very good representation of the ability variety), but it spoils almost every boss currently in the game, so be warned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CidV_4ePqoI

Currently I don't know if anyone has legitimately unlocked all the unique items from challenges in Roguelike-mode, so hey, there's plenty of reason to beat poo poo up for way too many hours all on it's own. :D

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 13, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Justin_Brett posted:

Been waiting for Dex to hit fifty percent off for a while, nice.

Yeah just noticed that as well, since it didn't receive much of a discount during the summer sale. Can anyone vouch for it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Sweet, checking out the demo now. If I would've known this was coming out I wouldn't have dumped my steamwallet bux on The Red Solstice. :doh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wendell posted:

This spoils the game.

What you read into my comment is on you. :colbert:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Ragequit posted:

Yeah just noticed that as well, since it didn't receive much of a discount during the summer sale. Can anyone vouch for it?

Dex is alright, but the combat is janky. Almost feels easier to use a combination of hacking and punching than it does to whip out a gun, since you have to stand still to use one and if you move/get knocked around your gun is put away. Maybe that changes later though?

Been enjoying the story though, I haven't regretted buying Dex.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Card Hunter is out on steam: it's fun but be aware some of the later levels become reaaallly unfun because enemies are loaded with Shield and Armour cards which just bogs the game down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Secrets of Grindea has a demo too, i'm gonna pit it against CrossCode's (my early assumption is crosscode might win, even though IT PUTS ATTACK ON RIGHT BUMPER WHAT THE gently caress)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lord Lambeth posted:

Excuse me Mark Hamill is a god among voice actors.

He's voiced by Troy Baker.

Arkham City was Hamill's last performance as the Joker--it was intended as a sort of farewell to his interpretation of the character.

edit: Let me be clear, Baker does a drat good job with the Joker. I wasn't thrilled they resurrected the character for Origins, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the VA.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 13, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Male Man posted:

Arkham City was Hamill's last performance as the Joker--it was intended as a sort of farewell to his interpretation of the character.

Nope that was a lie. It Hamil in it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Male Man posted:

edit: Let me be clear, Baker does a drat good job with the Joker. I wasn't thrilled they resurrected the character for Origins, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the VA.

Sorry but you're wrong.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Incredible derail spawned from a goon not getting a joke.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If another Batman game is ever developed, I wonder if that developer will remember that Batman had an enemy named the Joker and feature him in their new Batman game. Maybe they could put the Joker in the opening credits to alleviate the player's fears that he might not be in the game at any point.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

anyone try holy potatoes a weapon shop!? yet?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I stand corrected.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's my understanding that they've discovered (decided?) that $60 is the breaking point for an "expensive game" in the US and £50 in the UK. Steam has been considerably more expensive than retail for PC for years now, and this is just taking the piss as it means console is cheaper, which shouldn't happen. It seems to be a fairly recent change (starting with The Witcher 3) so it'll be interesting to see if it causes enough of a fall in sales to be changed back.

To be fair, console games also start at £50 as of the newgen, and I've seen some EA games try £55 digitally on consoles. Basically, the big publishers saw the new generation of consoles as an opportunity to hike prices, and it stuck. It still hasn't stopped folks like Green Man Gaming do pre-orders for select AAA games for £30 or less, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It boils down to what people are willing to pay. I usually avoid paying more than like $30 for a PC game, but when I pay more it's for something that I don't regret throwing money at. I got like the $70 fancy version of Sims 4 on release day, and you know what? I don't regret it. Between my girlfriend and I we've probably clocked like 800+ hours playing stupid video game dollhouse, and I think that the dumb joy we both derive from living out aspirational fantasies via tiny virtual people was about worth the cost of like between 1 and 1.5 dinner dates.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

deadly_pudding posted:

It boils down to what people are willing to pay. I usually avoid paying more than like $30 for a PC game, but when I pay more it's for something that I don't regret throwing money at. I got like the $70 fancy version of Sims 4 on release day, and you know what? I don't regret it. Between my girlfriend and I we've probably clocked like 800+ hours playing stupid video game dollhouse, and I think that the dumb joy we both derive from living out aspirational fantasies via tiny virtual people was about worth the cost of like between 1 and 1.5 dinner dates.

Pretty much. Sales are well established both on PC and console sides, and that's basically the solution. Too expansive? Wait for it to get cheaper. It's basically the same argument for DLC, wait for a sale/GotY edition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

people on this page posted:

Secrets of Grindea

It's a fun enough game, but anyone planning to play with their friends should be forewarned that the netcode is still pretty junk. It doesn't help that it apparently tries to sync each individual projectile... in Touhou-style bullet hell bosses :psyduck:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hmmm okay

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
life or death decisions, man. He must've worked at Bioware or something before making this game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

life or death decisions, man.
no. life and death decisions

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The White Dragon posted:

It's a fun enough game, but anyone planning to play with their friends should be forewarned that the netcode is still pretty junk. It doesn't help that it apparently tries to sync each individual projectile... in Touhou-style bullet hell bosses :psyduck:

Is there any couch co-op or does it have to be on two different computers?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Two-plus computers only. I was gonna say something about LAN likely being better, but you're probably talking about like "hey what if my bro comes over" and not latency :v:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Jolo posted:

If another Batman game is ever developed, I wonder if that developer will remember that Batman had an enemy named the Joker and feature him in their new Batman game. Maybe they could put the Joker in the opening credits to alleviate the player's fears that he might not be in the game at any point.

The Joker is actually really good in the new game and really the only part of the story that's worth a drat. It's really the only part of the story that makes sense, and that's even considering it feels like it was added near the end of production.

Fake Edit: Almost forgot, The Riddler is equally amazing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

that's like two lovely whole booster packs worth. Not worth my steam pennies :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Psion posted:

that's like two lovely whole booster packs worth. Not worth my steam pennies :colbert:

B-b-b-but it's inspired by chrono trigger AND final fantasy 3

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
When they say Final Fantasy 3, do they actually mean Final Fantasy 3 or are they incorrectly referring to Final Fantasy 6. That's what I want to know.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

[e] Why you... :argh:

Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy VI? :v:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Practically every review of this game uses the word "depressing" to describe it which in combination with its aesthetic and its 19-cent price tag have me embarrassingly curious.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I get why rpgmaker games will try to describe themselves as similar to old snes or nes rpgs, but it's funnier when they try to describe themselves like completely different games.

There's a recent game that came out called girlfriend rescue by the laxius guy and it describes itself as being a game about rescuing your girlfriend with an atmosphere and game like streets of rage lol

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Look m,an if there was a slot on my PC i could put a quarter into and get a cheapass steam game I'd be all out of quarters so yea I'm buying something with cards for 19 cents.

There's also a vertical shooter with cards for 19 cents: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274560/

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Any thoughts on Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! Title aside, it looks okay? Ideally it'd be similar to Recettear, but it also kinda looks like a Game Designer Tycoon thing where you just sit around doing nothing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Wait so did Laxius Force guy actually make a beat-em-up? Or did he make a a modern RPG set in urban America where you fight Mr. X?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't think it's actually a beat-em-up, just seems to be their usual turn-based RPG Maker fare.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Wait so did Laxius Force guy actually make a beat-em-up? Or did he make a a modern RPG set in urban America where you fight Mr. X?

He made another generic RPGmaker game but set in an urban environment and the poor sap that has to run the steam store page was getting chewed out by a few people for writing it up as being similar to "streets of rage" instead of being similar to "double dragon" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a recent game that came out called girlfriend rescue by the laxius guy and it describes itself as being a game about rescuing your girlfriend with an atmosphere and game like streets of rage lol
A "girlfriend with an atmosphere" sounds smelly.

FirstAidKite posted:

and the poor sap that has to run the steam store page was getting chewed out by a few people for writing it up as being similar to "streets of rage" instead of being similar to "double dragon" lol
Smelly and beaten up in the intro? Truly, that must be a masterpiece.

• Locked thread