Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

If you play more SMN you go intelligence and get every so slightly more damage in cleric stance when playing SCH.

Cleric Stance doesn't work that way. It completely swaps your INT and MND. So putting your points into INT means you'll be able to heal very slightly less worse in CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is there an option to lock the PS4 version to 30fps? I'm not a fan of variable framerates.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
See your rear end in northern thanalan were frame rates go to die and blame God.

Honestly turn off or set "others" special effects to "limited". It'll help make it more consistent. Everyone should do this though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

See your rear end in northern thanalan were frame rates go to die and blame God.

Honestly turn off or set "others" special effects to "limited". It'll help make it more consistent. Everyone should do this though.

If you set party member effects to "off" do you still see important things like Sacred Soil and Shadow Flare or do you have to turn them up to at least "limited"?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If you set party member effects to "off" do you still see important things like Sacred Soil and Shadow Flare or do you have to turn them up to at least "limited"?

Ground targeted AoEs still show up, yeah.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is there an option to lock the PS4 version to 30fps? I'm not a fan of variable framerates.

I believe there's just a setting to cap the framerate. It'll still drop when/if it needs to.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Suitaru posted:

No, it gets updated constantly. If you work 9-5 just have the game open during your morning routine and try every few minutes.

well drat i probably missed being able to get on excal this morning then

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I'm honestly surprised North Thanalan hasn't been instanced cause holy hell those FATE trains are huge.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

seiferguy posted:

I'm honestly surprised North Thanalan hasn't been instanced cause holy hell those FATE trains are huge.

It was! At least on my server it has been instanced off and on since Heavensward was released, and I'm pretty sure Excalibur is bigger.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm almost done with the pre-expansion stuff. It's kind of odd going immediately into the next patch content. If it weren't for Heavensward I'd definitely be taking my time more. Although rushing everything does build the sense you never get a break.

The content is a little trivial now that everyone is effectively overgeared, but it was still enjoyable. I enjoyed the writing for the most part. I have a lot of questions, although I suspect many will get answered in a few quests down the line. I also have to admit to be feeling cutscene-fatigue, which partially has to do with blitzing the story quests.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SirPhoebos posted:

The content is a little trivial now that everyone is effectively overgeared, but it was still enjoyable.

For what it's worth, the content was trivial before heavensward launched, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm kind of envious of the people who get to go straight from 2.55 to 3.0, rather than having to wait 3 months and change in between. That was a hell of a cliffhanger.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

This probably makes it so the provoke animation doesn't show up and if you are tanking most mildly challenging 8-persons this is Very Bad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Boten Anna posted:

This probably makes it so the provoke animation doesn't show up and if you are tanking most mildly challenging 8-persons this is Very Bad.
Nope. There's you, your party and then everyone else (in 24 man I'm fairly certain that everyone in the Alliance counts as in your party for graphical stuff.)

There's no issues with setting "Others" to limited.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I know she isn't a popular character in this thread, but I have to give Minfillia major props for putting on a coat :bravo:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If I'm tanking mildly challenging 8-man content where Provoke is actually used, then one of three things is true:

1) A party message is tied in with the Provoke to indicate its use.

2) I'm on voice communication with the other tank and know that a Provoke has come out.

3) Tank swaps are largely binary (they always happen at roughly the same time, every time, in an encounter), so I simply stop attacking when I know I'm hitting the point where a tank swap is necessary.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

sword_man.gif posted:

cows in eorzea are exceptionally rare, i mean think about it, have you ever seen one

Close enough :colbert:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
whatever meat comes from that creature would be like eating loving books

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a cat youtube posted:

well drat i probably missed being able to get on excal this morning then

Try again tomorrow morning. The servers are coming down tonight for a patch, which will kick out all the people who never log off, so when they come back up will be your best chance to join us.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So now that we know MCH isn't as bad a class as we thought, just wanna ask how demanding it is to actually play. How hard is it compared to other DPS? I'm a career healer looking into branching into DPS (and I main SCH, so SMN is not much of a vacation), but I'm not actually very good at the whole DPS thing, so I'm waffling back and forth on which to pick.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

but would you eat a fried chocobo?

quote:

Ostrich meat is a "red meat" similar in colour and taste to beef. However, it is lower in fat grams per serving compared to chicken and turkey, and much lower in fat and cholesterol than beef. Most all of the meat from an Ostrich comes from the leg, thigh, and back. An Ostrich has NO breast meat like the chicken and turkey.

for the most health conscious of gamers

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Vermain posted:

If I'm tanking mildly challenging 8-man content where Provoke is actually used, then one of three things is true:

1) A party message is tied in with the Provoke to indicate its use.

2) I'm on voice communication with the other tank and know that a Provoke has come out.

3) Tank swaps are largely binary (they always happen at roughly the same time, every time, in an encounter), so I simply stop attacking when I know I'm hitting the point where a tank swap is necessary.

Provoke macros cause problems, mostly that often Provoke won't actually proc properly if you just miss the off-gcd window. They are a bad idea for bads. Voice chat doesn't help, as knowing EXACTLY when provoke happened is important.

Stop making excuses for being bad.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So now that we know MCH isn't as bad a class as we thought, just wanna ask how demanding it is to actually play. How hard is it compared to other DPS? I'm a career healer looking into branching into DPS (and I main SCH, so SMN is not much of a vacation), but I'm not actually very good at the whole DPS thing, so I'm waffling back and forth on which to pick.

It's probably one of the harder ones to play well. Your main combo is proc based and you have less than a second to respond with GB on, you have an immense amount of off gcds and cooldowns to keep track of, and you lose dps whenever you move so you need to know in advance whats going to happen or be really good at responding quickly.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
If you arent an idiot you can put a half second delay on the message on a provoke macro so you can spam it and not flood chat

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

you could also just macro <se.6> and a bunch of other sound effects and include "FEEL THE BEAT OF MY JUNGLE RHYTHM" with your provoke macro, so the party knows it's dance time when you pick up a loose mob. be sure to ask for an esuna and a countdown on berserk as you fill chat with utter tripe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Are you seriously calling someone who needs to turn their graphics settings down bad?

Balbanes
May 21, 2007
44z red pots~

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yet gator meat is freaking delicious and tender. :cmon:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boten Anna posted:

Provoke macros cause problems, mostly that often Provoke won't actually proc properly if you just miss the off-gcd window. They are a bad idea for bads. Voice chat doesn't help, as knowing EXACTLY when provoke happened is important.

This is a bad post mostly, but it is true that voice chat is for scrubs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Got it up to 50 so here's my pre HW take on MCH:

It's easier than bard 90% of the time with the last 10% being harder than BRD. When you're not doing crazy burst shenanigans you're mostly doing the same thing bards are doing (in my case hitting 1) waiting for a proc and looking for any opportunities to use utility stuff. You can use Rapid Reload on CD until you get Clean Shot in which case you'll want to save it to get Cleaner Shot procs.
The real meat and potatoes is jamming as much damage as you can as fast as possible to make your Wildfire explode big. Even before that you'll want to maximize Rapid Fire and Reload. Burst burst burst.

Turrets are also easy 'toss them out and mostly forget about them.' They're not quite as robust as SMN/SCH pets but your turret is free and if it blows up/needs moved just toss it out again.

TP can be an issue in long fights since without Invigorate you've only got Rapid Reload's paltry 50 restore to keep going.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
It's okay, once Gaga finally finds that one true tank that can communicate telepathically they will shoot up to be the world's best tanking duo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even if you have battle effects turned completely off, you still see the text popup for provoke.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of macros, I use a macro to get garuda-egi to use contagion since afaik it's the only way to get it on my hotbar so I can hit a key to activate it. However I do have troubles getting garuda to actually use the drat thing like 10% of the time and I start to mash the poo poo out of it and end up loving up another action because of it. I know there's a range limit that I try to stay in but is there anything else I can do to get contagion to go more reliably when I hit a button on my keyboard?

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

For a long while I was pretty bummed because I was super pumped about a gun and turret class and was all in from the first announcements of the class. Then HW came out and I was like oof. A lot of the early horror stories felt pretty drat real.

A couple days ago everything started to click. Between gear improvements and getting a better feel for the rotation, the class really came together. It's really NOT as complicated/difficult as it seems (or is reported) to play well and the RNG issue is way overblown. Gauss Round is on such a short cooldown that if you're intertwining it with your other OGCDs/the occasional Ricochet/reload/quick reload, you're rarely at a point where the RNG-dependent parts feel like they're impacting you negatively.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Speaking of macros, I use a macro to get garuda-egi to use contagion since afaik it's the only way to get it on my hotbar so I can hit a key to activate it. However I do have troubles getting garuda to actually use the drat thing like 10% of the time and I start to mash the poo poo out of it and end up loving up another action because of it. I know there's a range limit that I try to stay in but is there anything else I can do to get contagion to go more reliably when I hit a button on my keyboard?

Open the pet tab of your abilities window. You can drag the abilities to your hotbar from there. You do have to mash the button a bit even without the macro though.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
protip there is no excuse for being bad at this game because it's loving easy

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Do not use provoke macros.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

I have completed every current piece of content in Heavensward exclusively in random Party Finder groups, and the wipes that I suffered through were a consequence of general-purpose mechanical failures, not the use of a Provoke macro or having Party effects set to "Limited." You may wish to re-evaluate your stance on this issue.

Fister Roboto posted:

Open the pet tab of your abilities window. You can drag the abilities to your hotbar from there. You do have to mash the button a bit even without the macro though.

I believe there's macros that can force your pet to immediately stop its current action in favor of the new one, but I haven't messed around a lot with them. I can understand why they don't want to make macros able to be queued , but it'd be extremely helpful for pet command macros (since it's only actually performing a single offensive action; the rest is just messing around with pet states).

TooManyUzukis posted:

If your ping is 100+, I agree, but I have not had a single issue with a 70 average ping using utility macros for Hallowed Ground/Provoke/Divine Veil.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 13, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Doublestep posted:

It's okay, once Gaga finally finds that one true tank that can communicate telepathically they will shoot up to be the world's best tanking duo

i press "provoke" and it is telepathically communicated to the other tank that i provoked using a complex graphical code that looks like this

similarly i can receive these telepathic communications by looking for the same coded signal and opening my eyes and not turning every spell effect off because even a ps3 can handle it and so can your toaster

TooManyUzukis posted:

TooManyUzukis posted:

TooManyUzukis posted:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't even HAVE provoke, nonetheless macros for it's usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
gently caress you, my buttons are sacred and EVERYONE will have to know when I actually play the game.

Battle Voice has a 300s cooldown and that needs to be on a macro letting everyone know how stupid they are at spending their mp/tp that I had to use it
Sidewinder has a 60s cooldown and I need to make sure everyone praises me for the DPS that I bring
Heavy Shot and its 2.5s cooldown? That spells macro to me, everyone needs to know I'm doing my job

• Locked thread