Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

Please, please, can we go back to the world of plane crashes and psycho murderers?

Speaking of, there's one I remember reading about years ago, where a Japanese woman was abducted, tortured and raped for over 40 days by four of her classmates and when she finally died, they disposed of her body in a cement barrel. The wiki page doesn't go into much detail though, I remember it used to go into what the coroner's report said they did to her in that time. It was hosed up what they did to her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta

I remember reading through this years ago, and it is way, way more disturbing than the medical+delusion poo poo you seemed to be more bothered by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, after having seen The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, I came to the conclusion that scenarios like that, as in locked in syndrome, was like the scariest poo poo imaginable. My father has made his medical wishes pretty clear regarding this sorta poo poo. That stroke scene is loving horrifying, just out of nowhere, a relatively not-old dude doomed to one of the worst possible fates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Dominique_Bauby

Dangit, was gonna post this once I read the post above yours. I actually couldn't finish the movie, it freaked me out too much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one disturbs me because I remember it (I was out in the yard playing and saw the smoke); I hope it's interesting to y'all.

The 1968 Richmond, Indiana explosion.

Marting Arms was a sporting-goods store in downtown Richmond. Unfortunately, they were storing way more gunpowder than they were supposed to be. Even more unfortunately, there was a gas leak. Most unfortunately, the whole thing happened midway through a sunny Saturday afternoon in downtown Richmond, the county seat of a largely rural area. If you were out running errands in those pre-mall days, you would have been downtown*. There were two explosions, gas first, gunpowder second. As with many disasters, the explosion was bad, but the fires afterward did a lot more damage. 41 people died, including 7 children; more than 150 were injured; and 15 buildings were destroyed, plus 5 that had to be demolished due to damage. Half a block away was the State Theater, which was showing a matinee of "Stay Away Joe", an Elvis movie, and many of the children's deaths happened there or nearby. If you imagine that nobody commented on the irony of this title, you would be wrong.

So, why disturbing? Because local habits that, in retrospect, look extremely stupid -- see the 1937 New London school explosion caused by siphoning gas from a oil company waste line -- were taken for granted at the time. There had been gas leaks reported all over town, but Richmond Gas Company, a privately-owned company, didn't take them terribly seriously. The day after the explosion, the gas company zoomed in and removed the gas line leading up to the store; they wound up losing a lawsuit anyway.

In response, Congress passed the first Natural Pipeline Safety Act. The Cocoanut Grove fire gave us stricter laws on egress from public structures; the Triangle Fire gave us stricter laws on fire safety in the workplace; the Richmond explosion gave us regulation of pipeline safety. You're welcome.

* One of the survivors remembered "Back then, downtown Richmond was the center of Wayne County," Bales recalls. "Everything you bought was downtown." Ironically, the renovations in response the explosion converted Main Street downtown into a closed pedestrian promenade. This accelerated the decay of the town core, because it became harder to get to the remaining stores.

Of all places, the Rachel Maddow show has an excellent summary putting the explosion in context of the times.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember reading through this years ago, and it is way, way more disturbing than the medical+delusion poo poo you seemed to be more bothered by

The worst part is somehow her killers got a relative slap on the wrist. Incredibly frustrating stuff.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Glamorama26 posted:

The worst part is somehow her killers got a relative slap on the wrist. Incredibly frustrating stuff.

Japan's hosed up legal system is pretty unnerving by itself.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

So I found this on Hacker News; earthquake stuff has fascinated and terrified me since the 2011 Tohoku quake. Even adjusting for the :supaburn:"Must make this sound terrible to sell papers":supaburn: bias, this article about the Cascadia subduction zone is freaky. It really drives home how incomplete our understanding is of the geologic processes that (can) affect our most densely-populated coastal cities: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

The Article posted:

By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America. Roughly three thousand people died in San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. Almost two thousand died in Hurricane Katrina. Almost three hundred died in Hurricane Sandy. FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million. “This is one time that I’m hoping all the science is wrong, and it won’t happen for another thousand years,” Murphy says.

From the HN comments, a video simulation of the effect of a magnitude 7.0 quake on the Alaskan Way viaduct in Seattle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hos_uIKwC-c

Note that the simulation addresses a 7.0 quake, but the New Yorker article posits an impending quake between magnitudes 8.2 and 9.2. The Richter scale is logarithmic, which means the predicted quake will be more than 10 to 100 times stronger than what is depicted in the simulation. For reference, the 2011 Tohoku quake was magnitude 9.0.

e:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This one disturbs me because I remember it (I was out in the yard playing and saw the smoke); I hope it's interesting to y'all.

This is pretty interesting, Richmond has such a weird history, I'm surprised I'd never heard of this before.

dobbymoodge has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jul 13, 2015

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
1988 Nevada PEPCON Diaster

A factory that manufactured rocket fuel (and had excess rocket fuel since the space shuttle program was stopped for a bit after Challenger) exploded. I was only six but my parents remember it. To this day causes are not fully known as the government has not released info or botched up the investigation.

quote:

There are several theories about what caused the fire and explosions.[8] The Clark County (Nevada) Fire Department (CCFD) did not issue a formal report but did issue a 2 page press release on July 15, 1988 describing what it believed to be the cause of the fire and this and other CCFD information was incorporated into a report by the United States Fire Administration (USFA).

The US Department of Labor (USDOL) working with the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) issued a lengthy report on the accident which discounted the cause and origin findings of the CCFD. USDOL noted that the Arson Division of CCFD maintained control over the site for several weeks and that DOSH and PEPCON investigating teams were not permitted entry into the facility until 13 days after the event.[8] The first significant DOSH inspection did not occur until 33 days after the fire.[8] At that time, the damaged areas had been disturbed and key evidence had been either displaced or removed from the site.[8]

A nearby marshmallow factory (Kidd & Co) was vaporized in one of the shock waves, as can be seen in the video at the bottom. They would end up rebuilding it and I took a field trip there a few years later.

Lucky that more people weren't killed.

quote:

About 75 escaped successfully, but two were killed in the last two larger explosions: Roy Westerfield, PEPCON's Controller who stayed behind to call the Clark County Fire Department; and Bruce Halker, the Plant Manager who stood near his car when the first major detonation occurred. Employees at Kidd & Co., the nearby marshmallow factory, heard the explosion and also evacuated.

quote:

The damage reached a radius of up to 10 miles (16 km), including shattered windows, doors blown off their hinges, cracked windows and injuries from flying glass and debris. At McCarran International Airport, seven miles (11 km) away in Las Vegas, windows were cracked and doors were pushed open. The shock wave buffeted a Boeing 737 on final approach.

An investigation estimated that the larger explosion was equivalent to about one kiloton of TNT, approximately the same yield of a tactical nuclear weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVpzjxRjPk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I went on a field trip to that marshmallow factory too!

Las Vegans for years kept calling Henderson "Green Cloud" or something like that because the cause of the explosion wasn't really well explained, so people made up this chemicals = green equivalency.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Canadian Netflix has a true crime show called "your worst nightmare" I've only seen 2 episodes and it's some pretty horrible crimes

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
The shockwave from the fourth explosion is just jaw dropping.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bean_shadow posted:

A factory that manufactured rocket fuel (and had excess rocket fuel since the space shuttle program was stopped for a bit after Challenger) exploded. I was only six but my parents remember it. To this day causes are not fully known as the government has not released info or botched up the investigation.

A nearby marshmallow factory (Kidd & Co) was vaporized in one of the shock waves, as can be seen in the video at the bottom. They would end up rebuilding it and I took a field trip there a few years later.

somebody left the peeps in the microwave for too long. But seriously holy poo poo.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah that last guy was a mile away, and got picked up and thrown 40 feet by the shockwave. :prepop:

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
If you were standing next to the factory that got disintegrated, what would the shockwave do to your body? Would it just throw you or would it potentially break / dislocate bones etc? The shockwave itself I mean, not the broken bones you might receive on impact if it throws you.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Tibor posted:

If you were standing next to the factory that got disintegrated, what would the shockwave do to your body? Would it just throw you or would it potentially break / dislocate bones etc? The shockwave itself I mean, not the broken bones you might receive on impact if it throws you.

I doubt you would be thrown so much as reduced to a liquid.

E: and then aerosolized

titties has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Jul 15, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tibor posted:

Assuming you're far enough away to not become chunky salsa:

quote:

Blast overpressure may cause primary, secondary and tertiary events leading to bodily injury. Primary blast injury (PBI) occurs from an interaction of the pressure wave and the body. The exact interaction may differ from one organ system to another. In the case of the lung, injury is thought to be caused by the propagation of the wave through the thoracic tissues which results in the opposition of the lung to the chest wall which does not respond as rapidly to the blast wave as does the lung (Stuhmiller et al., 1996). Secondary blast injury results from other objects being impacted by the pressure wave on or into the body...

Air emboli are thought to originate in the lungs and travel to other vital organs to cause sudden death. Even in the absence of air emboli-induced sudden death, lung contusion can be incapacitating and lethal if extensive.
Being thrown by the shockwave falls under tertiary events, and is difficult to disentangle because it happens simultaneously with primary and secondary injury.
The bolded part especially gets me, your lungs get slammed into your chest wall by the blast. :stonk:

Other fun effects:

quote:

Blast overpressure can induce injury to the heart through a variety of proposed mechanisms to include cardiac contusion, pathological neurocardiac reflexes, the initiation and propagation of cell-mediated pathways of injury, and coronary artery obstruction from air emboli or fibrin. Cardiac arrhymias are very common after BOP exposure and asystole, bradycardia, tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation has been described (Carlsten et al., 1954; Clemedson, 1959-1960; Lau et al., 1981). Blunt impact to the heart at a velocity of 13 and 24 m/s has been associated with minor transient arrhymias and ventricular fibrillation, respectively (Lau et al., 1981).
The pathology of primary blast overpressure injury Mayorga 1997

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There are always the apocryphal tales of people whose lungs get literally ripped out through their mouths by the negative pressure following a blast wave, but googling it the first link was to a site called best gore so I'm gonna avoid trying to verify whether thats actually a thing.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

Assuming you're far enough away to not become chunky salsa:

Being thrown by the shockwave falls under tertiary events, and is difficult to disentangle because it happens simultaneously with primary and secondary injury.
The bolded part especially gets me, your lungs get slammed into your chest wall by the blast. :stonk:

Other fun effects:

The pathology of primary blast overpressure injury Mayorga 1997

Thanks for researching all that. I guess it's just the same as being hit by a fast moving object. I never thought about the damage a shockwave could do and wouldn't have imagined it'd be that severe. All my personal experience of shockwaves comes from dodging the final Bowser's ones in Super Mario 64. Annoying but not quite lungs-through-the-mouth annoying.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I'd forgotten all about this! I went to college in Richmond about thirty years after the fact, just before they started tearing out the Promenade and running the road back through the town center. (Didn't help much, though; now you can see the shops but still can't get to them since the parking's so crappy.) I was there for the Swayne, Robinson & Co. fire, though; that was pretty spectacular.

quote:

Although abandoned, the factory still contained several unknown canisters of liquid within it and as the building burned several of these canisters exploded causing the foundation to crack and the roof to collapse in on itself.

So really, the lesson is that Richmond needs to work on its hazardous-materials storage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was very fond of the Swayne, Robinson building with its immense sign. It was still in use when I was growing up, along with Purina, Alcoa, a plastics company I can't remember, and a Wonder Bread bakery. It was always exciting finding out which way the wind was blowing by what you smelled.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Has the documentary The Act of Killing and the events the film focuses on, the '65-'66 anti-Communist genocide in Indonesia been brought up in this thread yet?

Here's the thing: I realize--or, well--I want to imagine I live in a world where the majority of people find general atrocities/war crimes/genocides, etc. to be horrific, despicable, inexcusable and all the other adjectives that properly apply to that type of thing. Thing is, events of that sort are always at least slightly different from one another, in some ways, and they are always most horrific when you hear about them first-hand from those who experienced them.

It's typically somewhat difficult to get perpetrators of such acts to confess to their crimes and describe them even when we get them into international courts/trials of various types. Not so, in this case, and that's what makes The Act of Killing so genuinely disturbing. I wasn't alive until ~40 years after the Holocaust wrapped, so in my lifetime I've mostly heard only from old Nazis who have either seen the errors of their ways, are decent at faking as tough they have, work the living Hell out of the 'following orders' angle, or were convicted (side note: Just the other day, an official in charge of "customs" at Auschwitz, at the age of ninety-four, was convicted of being an accessory to several hundred thousand murders and received a sentence of four years). With these killings, the ruling regime hired/recruited murderous gangsters helped the government out by slaughtering anyone in Indonesia who was accused or suspected of Communist sympathies/sentiments. These thus ave since been proudly boasting and shamelessly talking about the killings, as they are considered heroic. Or, were, I should say; past tense.

Both the events and the film are very disturbing--especially the movie, due to the way it was filmed (I suggest checking out the wiki or the movie itself for a better idea of what I mean by this, because, frankly, the set-up is very unique). It's long and a difficult watch, to be honest with you, just because of how sad a lot of it is. That being said, there is a little catharsis for you at the end of it.

What brought it to mind is that today I saw a review for the film's companion piece, The Look of Silence. It is also a documentary, but this time the film focuses on the son of a family torn apart by the genocides. He's grown and now an optometrist, and uses his job to get perpetrators of the killings into his office for questioning in front of the camera. It's the sort of thing that would be entirely uncool if it weren't against people who bragged about drinking the blood of innocent victims. I am yet to see it--I really, really want to, though. It sounds really great, and considering how dark the first part is, I'm hoping The Look of Silence will offer up a little more catharsis.

Both films are executive produced by Werner Herzog and Errol Morris (with Andre Singer, on the second one).

There's a lot more that I wanted to say about all of this, but to be honest I got busy with something else, so hopefully the links can speak for themselves.

Edit: About the tense thing with "are/were heroes:" It depends on who you ask and such, but more recently and especially since the films' releases, it's all been getting more attention.

Terra-da-loo! has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zombie Raptor posted:

Has the documentary The Act of Killing and the events the film focuses on, the '65-'66 anti-Communist genocide in Indonesia been brought up in this thread yet?

Here's the thing: I realize--or, well--I want to imagine I live in a world where the majority of people find general atrocities/war crimes/genocides, etc. to be horrific, despicable, inexcusable and all the other adjectives that properly apply to that type of thing. Thing is, events of that sort are always at least slightly different from one another, in some ways, and they are always most horrific when you hear about them first-hand from those who experienced them.

It's typically somewhat difficult to get perpetrators of such acts to confess to their crimes and describe them even when we get them into international courts/trials of various types. Not so, in this case, and that's what makes The Act of Killing so genuinely disturbing. I wasn't alive until ~40 years after the Holocaust wrapped, so in my lifetime I've mostly heard only from old Nazis who have either seen the errors of their ways, are decent at faking as tough they have, work the living Hell out of the 'following orders' angle, or were convicted (side note: Just the other day, an official in charge of "customs" at Auschwitz, at the age of ninety-four, was convicted of being an accessory to several hundred thousand murders and received a sentence of four years). With these killings, the ruling regime hired/recruited murderous gangsters helped the government out by slaughtering anyone in Indonesia who was accused or suspected of Communist sympathies/sentiments. These thus ave since been proudly boasting and shamelessly talking about the killings, as they are considered heroic. Or, were, I should say; past tense.

Both the events and the film are very disturbing--especially the movie, due to the way it was filmed (I suggest checking out the wiki or the movie itself for a better idea of what I mean by this, because, frankly, the set-up is very unique). It's long and a difficult watch, to be honest with you, just because of how sad a lot of it is. That being said, there is a little catharsis for you at the end of it.

What brought it to mind is that today I saw a review for the film's companion piece, The Look of Silence. It is also a documentary, but this time the film focuses on the son of a family torn apart by the genocides. He's grown and now an optometrist, and uses his job to get perpetrators of the killings into his office for questioning in front of the camera. It's the sort of thing that would be entirely uncool if it weren't against people who bragged about drinking the blood of innocent victims. I am yet to see it--I really, really want to, though. It sounds really great, and considering how dark the first part is, I'm hoping The Look of Silence will offer up a little more catharsis.

Both films are executive produced by Werner Herzog and Errol Morris (with Andre Singer, on the second one).

There's a lot more that I wanted to say about all of this, but to be honest I got busy with something else, so hopefully the links can speak for themselves.

Edit: About the tense thing with "are/were heroes:" It depends on who you ask and such, but more recently and especially since the films' releases, it's all been getting more attention.

Gonna have to watch The Look of Silence. Not quite the same thing, but one of my friends lived through the Sierra Leone war and was adopted over here after losing her whole family. She said she went to meet Ishmael Beah author of Long Way Gone to kind of tell him off about being a component of the killings and scattering of families, but backed down from it when she met him. She said it was weird seeing the face and listening to someone that was on the other side of the gun in the whole thing. She said I could ask her anything about what she went through, but every time we're hanging out we're drinking and having a good time and I just don't think making her talk about that while I'm silly drunk is a good idea.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was very fond of the Swayne, Robinson building with its immense sign. It was still in use when I was growing up, along with Purina, Alcoa, a plastics company I can't remember, and a Wonder Bread bakery. It was always exciting finding out which way the wind was blowing by what you smelled.

Not unnerving or scary: if you lived near Fulton, NY, home of the US's oldest chocolate plant, it smelled like chocolate when it rained. :unsmith:

Unnerving and scary:

quote:

Asbestos cement was used throughout the plant as insulation material. It often came as a powder, which was mixed with water into a pasty consistency, then applied by hand. Mixing the raw asbestos powder with water would release millions of asbestos dust particles into the air. Workers would also be required to scrape and wire brush the hardened asbestos cement when the equipment it was used on required maintenance or repair.
...and then when the plant closed, the new owners were busted for using unlicensed workers and unsafe, illegal asbestos removal. :smith:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not unnerving or scary: if you lived near Fulton, NY, home of the US's oldest chocolate plant, it smelled like chocolate when it rained. :unsmith:

I currently live near the headquarters of McCormick spices. The whole area smells like whatever they're processing that day. Cinnamon Day is the best. :3:

And Arsenic Lupin, Purina and another pet-food plant are still in business, as well as a major bakery (I don't think it's Wonder Bread, though). And the plastics plant is now an industrial wiring facility. Whether you get dog food, baking bread, or carcinogens pretty much depends on the day and the wind.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna have to watch The Look of Silence. Not quite the same thing, but one of my friends lived through the Sierra Leone war and was adopted over here after losing her whole family. She said she went to meet Ishmael Beah author of Long Way Gone to kind of tell him off about being a component of the killings and scattering of families, but backed down from it when she met him. She said it was weird seeing the face and listening to someone that was on the other side of the gun in the whole thing. She said I could ask her anything about what she went through, but every time we're hanging out we're drinking and having a good time and I just don't think making her talk about that while I'm silly drunk is a good idea.

I totally understand. That's so foreign an experience, I wouldn't know how to approach it even when most lucid. Likely best it stays behind her, but I might be talking out my rear end. I don't actually know poo poo about psych (well, really basic poo poo).

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure it was a keebler factory but there was a cookie factory just far enough away where when the wind blew the right way the whole neighbourhood would smell like cookies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All we had around here is an oil refinery and an abattoir/meat rendering plant :smith:

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I lived less than a block away from one of the main marshmallow fluff plants when I was a kid. According to my dad they had outside conveyor belts when he was a kid and they'd just steal jars of it all the time.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

All we had around here is an oil refinery and an abattoir/meat rendering plant :smith:

I think you mean a block of flats.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dr. Benway posted:

The shockwave from the fourth explosion is just jaw dropping.

You ain't kidding, when bean said the marshmallow place was vaporized, I did not expect a factory to literally disappear :stonk:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
pyf unnerving article, story, or smell

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Ernie Muppari posted:

Roasted marshmallows and rocket fuel, yum

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ernie Muppari posted:

Okay!

I grew up just a few blocks from a lake that was once sacred ground for Native Americans, then a popular tourist resort, then turned into a Superfund site long before the term "Superfund" existed. It has at times been called the most polluted lake in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onondaga_Lake

quote:

For thousands of years, the lake was considered sacred within indigenous territory. The historic Onondaga people lost control of the lake to New York State following the American Revolutionary War. During the late 19th century, European-Americans built many resorts along the lake's shoreline, as it was a destination of great beauty.

With the industrialization of the region, much of the lake's shoreline was developed; domestic and industrial waste, due to industry and urbanization, led to the severe degradation of the lake. Unsafe levels of pollution led to the banning of ice harvesting as early as 1901. In 1940, swimming was banned, and in 1970 fishing was banned due to mercury contamination. Mercury pollution is still a problem for the lake today. Despite the passage of the Clean Water Act in 1973 and the closing of the major industrial polluter in 1986, Onondaga Lake is still one of the most polluted lakes in the United States.

So if you're as old as I am and can remember the Crying Indian adverts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM
... the Onondaga Nation had probably been crying for a good long time before that ad was made. The fact that even as early as 1901 someone thought "hmmm, maybe this ice ain't so good", that's unnerving to me.

quote:

A survey in 1928 showed the lake was habitat for only ten remaining species.
Only 10 species of fish, in an entire lake, by 1928. :psyduck:.

The wiki article goes in greater detail if it interests you; but anecdotally, and keeping with the derail about local smells... oh god the reek of that lake in high summer when I was a kid in the 70's. They're working on cleanup efforts, but where they're dredging the nasty stuff out, hoo boy does it still stink.

Also we apparently still inadvertently poop into it, so there's that too:

quote:

Combined sewer overflow (CSO) also contributes pollution. In some areas of Syracuse, sewers carry both sanitary sewage and stormwater. During dry weather, these sewers carry all the sanitary sewage to Metro for treatment; however, during times of heavy rain or melting snow, the amount of water is greater than the capacity of the sewers. They overflow and discharge a combination of runoff and sanitary sewage into Onondaga Creek and Harbor Brook.[28] Through these tributaries, the CSO eventually reaches Onondaga Lake.

RUMORS:
I can't cite a proper source on these factoids, but we also learned in high school that once there was an airshow over the lake. The pilot was doing a barrel roll, perhaps got confused as to which blue was the sky and which was the water, and slammed into the lake. Divers were sent in to try to find the wreckage, and despite the lake not being particularly large nor deep, the plane has never been found. You couldn't see your own hand in front of your face, for all the pollution.

When Bristol-Meyers set up shop on its shore, they allegedly dumped about 10 feet of mercury and other icky things onto its bottom.

Divers who have gone in with safety orange suits on because of the lack of visibility emerge black. (The uh, suits, not the people.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

At least those divers come out alive, so it can't be that bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_of_Lake_Karachay

quote:

Some parts of the lake are extremely radioactive (600 röntgens/hour) and you could receive a lethal dose of radiation in 30 minutes (300 röntgens). Radiation from the Chernobyl disaster added to the pollution of Lake Karachay. Some experts have suggested that the radioactivity has spread to the Techa River and may even reach the Arctic Ocean.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

bean_shadow posted:

I was at school within that ten mile radius in Henderson, and remember every second of that day. Watching a movie in class, first boom had teachers running in confusion, second knocked tiles out of the ceiling and onto kid's heads. We had to evacuate and walk miles to a local park, and during that walk, we were all coming up with theories... Everything from an active volcano to aliens. Wild poo poo.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

Perhaps the most unnerving smell... is no smell at all :staredog:

Zicam, a homeopathic cold remedy whose only active ingredient is zinc, made a bunch of people permanently lose their sense of smell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zicam#Litigation

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RNG posted:

Perhaps the most unnerving smell... is no smell at all :staredog:

Zicam, a homeopathic cold remedy whose only active ingredient is zinc, made a bunch of people permanently lose their sense of smell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zicam#Litigation

As horrible as losing your sense of snell would be, it would save you a fortune on condiments.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My grandma lost her sense of smell because of a reaction to the anesthetic used in a routine operation she had. She had to be admitted to the hospital multiple times afterwards for malnutrition, because if you can barely taste anything, you're not likely to eat much.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
1 weird trick to lose weight!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
imagine how much money you'd save on footwear if you didn't have legs

#wow #makesuthink #justthelittlethings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pookel posted:

1 weird trick to lose weight!
Basically.