Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Experiment posted:

Adam is likely of the opinion that people working for him are doing it (or should be doing it) mostly for the experience and to jump to bigger and better things. I doubt anyone gets paid well at all. At best, maybe something like $50,000 a year, which wouldn't be enough for a high COL area.

Yeah, and the thing to remember with all so-called "underpaid" positions, the salary is tied to the job duties and required qualifications. The kid's probably happy to get what he gets because he either doesn't have the qualifications for a better position or the ability to perform more complicated and demanding tasks. Guess what happens if Adam doubled the salary of the position--the job attracts more qualified candidates and the kid loses (or never gets) the job. The Daily Show pays its writers the big bucks, but it only hires Harvard grads with writing credits. Adam pays poo poo, but he hires kids fresh out of community college willing to do a honest day's work for an honest day's wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, and the thing to remember with all so-called "underpaid" positions, the salary is tied to the job duties and required qualifications. The kid's probably happy to get what he gets because he either doesn't have the qualifications for a better position or the ability to perform more complicated and demanding tasks. Guess what happens if Adam doubled the salary of the position--the job attracts more qualified candidates and the kid loses (or never gets) the job. The Daily Show pays its writers the big bucks, but it only hires Harvard grads with writing credits. Adam pays poo poo, but he hires kids fresh out of community college willing to do a honest day's work for an honest day's wage.

The people on the show seem to have nice cars for not being paid well. Alison had bought a brand new Audi before she was fired. Gary has mentioned he has an Audi. I think if they got paid as bad as you guys think there would be a lot more turnover at Carolla Digital.

I loved the point a caller brought up about Caelan Biehn being John Connor because his dad was the original Kyle Reese.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe Adam actually pays him extra to be an Uber driver and requires him to play his podcast as he's driving people around!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

JB50 posted:

The people on the show seem to have nice cars for not being paid well. Alison had bought a brand new Audi before she was fired. Gary has mentioned he has an Audi. I think if they got paid as bad as you guys think there would be a lot more turnover at Carolla Digital.

I loved the point a caller brought up about Caelan Biehn being John Connor because his dad was the original Kyle Reese.

Both Alison and Gary were born and raised in Newport Beach, CA which is a very affluent area. Especially in Gary's case, that Audi wasn't paid for by Carolla bucks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's just a radio commercial and he's not actually driving for Uber. Just as I don't think Bryan was winning constantly in daily fantasy sports. Or Carolla Digital was holding all their meetings with GoToMeeting.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

visuvius posted:

Both Alison and Gary were born and raised in Newport Beach, CA which is a very affluent area. Especially in Gary's case, that Audi wasn't paid for by Carolla bucks.

You dont know that, and Alison was anything but affluent.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

JB50 posted:

You dont know that, and Alison was anything but affluent.

We do know that. Alison and Gary have talked about it a lot of times on her own podcast. Also, Alison's husband makes pretty good bucks working for a movie studio. Well, he just changed jobs to a better one, but even the one he had back in the time of buying the Audi, he made good money. They paid for their wedding cash out of pocket and that's also how they're paying for IVF, which is about $40K a pop. Alison wasn't hurting for money and neither is Gary.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dear Prudence posted:

We do know that. Alison and Gary have talked about it a lot of times on her own podcast. Also, Alison's husband makes pretty good bucks working for a movie studio. Well, he just changed jobs to a better one, but even the one he had back in the time of buying the Audi, he made good money. They paid for their wedding cash out of pocket and that's also how they're paying for IVF, which is about $40K a pop. Alison wasn't hurting for money and neither is Gary.

Im just saying I think Adam pays better than you guys think, and I doubt Garys dad bought him a car at his age.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Niwrad posted:

I think it's just a radio commercial and he's not actually driving for Uber. Just as I don't think Bryan was winning constantly in daily fantasy sports. Or Carolla Digital was holding all their meetings with GoToMeeting.

Get the gently caress outta here with that logic bullshit, were painting a man as a monster over here.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

bryan used to tweet all the time pictures of his fantasy results fwiw

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Please everyone listen to the Dana Gould episode I don't want to spoil it I just want to say it's a MUST listen to.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Just spoil it, dawg.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Beeez posted:

Just spoil it, dawg.

No listen to it in its entirety it's worth it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Veskit posted:

No listen to it in its entirety it's worth it.

Ok, but you've really hyped this up so if it turns out to be bullshit I am going to call you a dumb bad taste baby

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Ok, but you've really hyped this up so if it turns out to be bullshit I am going to call you a dumb bad taste baby
Not to be contrarian or a dick but on the recommendation I'm listening to it (still have 20 min. left or so) and yeah allow me to anti-hype this one for you. But I'm generally not a fan of the live shows.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

pangstrom posted:

Not to be contrarian or a dick but on the recommendation I'm listening to it (still have 20 min. left or so) and yeah allow me to anti-hype this one for you. But I'm generally not a fan of the live shows.

Don't stop.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I stopped listening to the show 2 years ago and I just wanted to pop in and see if it's gotten worse or better.

I stopped listening because:

-Adam just does the same jokes over and over
-The guests were getting really lovely
-Bryan's anti-humor and overall horribleness
-Allison was being constantly shut up and talked over
-Adam getting really right wing and racist
-The show became mostly ads
-Hearing his dumb kids' drops all the time was giving me a migrane
-General shittyness

So, is it any different now?

Ez fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 14, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well, Alison got fired. Other than that... Nope

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ez posted:

I stopped listening to the show 2 years ago and I just wanted to pop in and see if it's gotten worse or better.

-Gearing his dumb kids' drops all the time was giving me a migrane
-General shittyness

It's p much the same afaict.

The show is a little more incestuous/"synergistic" with the content and guests and ads as well, though I don't hate Gina or Bryan like many of you do.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 14, 2015

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Medullah posted:

Well, Alison got fired. Other than that... Nope

Really? She was the only one I liked listening to. What happened?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ez posted:

Really? She was the only one I liked listening to. What happened?
Listen to AR is your new best friend if you actually like listening to her or read the thread ~15 pages ago if this is actually news to you. Then post in faux horror about what an rear end in a top hat Adam is!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

pangstrom posted:

I'm home nad figured out the fine parts. Skip to about minute 30, listen through the first news story, then listen to the last 5 minutes and you're good to go.

Ez posted:

-Hearing his dumb kids' drops all the time was giving me a migrane
-General shittyness

I like Bryan now. Gina is completely milquetoast, it's generally lovely but I am an unapologetic listener of the rotten tomatos game everytime.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's really weird that he does like 10 minutes of live reads during a live show. Why not just patch in some commercials in post so that the paid customers don't have to spend a chunk of the show listening to you do commercials?

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
Something something fudge is packed something something.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Niwrad posted:

It's really weird that he does like 10 minutes of live reads during a live show. Why not just patch in some commercials in post so that the paid customers don't have to spend a chunk of the show listening to you do commercials?

Seriously, I never understood this. A lot of other podcasts do live shows and have ads and somehow are able to do it in post. World's #1 podcaster Adam Carolla should be able to figure it out.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Speaking of ads, they normally don't ever bother me on podcasts because I understand they're a necessary evil, and I can always fast forward if they're excessive.

BUT, the ads on the Adam and Dr. Drew Show bug the hell out of me because of Drew's cutesy segues. They make me irrationally angry.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ez posted:

I stopped listening because I honestly thought the show was making me more of an rear end in a top hat. I still check this thread occasionally but I really feel like his constant negativity, arrogance, and complaining was subconsciously making me a more negative and bitter person. If you listen to someone complain about everything under the sun for 5 hours a week, at some point you have to absorb some of that into your own thinking.

Even though "What Can't Adam Complain About" was the highlight of my week, I couldn't take his complaining anymore.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grant DaNasty posted:

Speaking of ads, they normally don't ever bother me on podcasts because I understand they're a necessary evil, and I can always fast forward if they're excessive.

BUT, the ads on the Adam and Dr. Drew Show bug the hell out of me because of Drew's cutesy segues. They make me irrationally angry.
The way Drew then follows up by backing products fake-enthusiastically is pretty cringe-inducing, too. It's partly that he's a doctor but he's also just bad at it.

Ribsauce posted:

I stopped listening because I honestly thought the show was making me more of an rear end in a top hat.
Haha yeah this is kind of true for me, too. My wife is great in general but not great at being "coached up" (I'm not, either) and every once in awhile I caught myself transferring Adam's momentum on the subject. Like by all means improve yourself and help others improve, but who wants to be tortured about it like Adam is.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
I feel bad if I've accidentally left a light switch on.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

McJuicy posted:

I feel bad if I've accidentally left a light switch on.
The one rant of his that transferred to me and now drives me out of my mind is "Clear your microwave slate!"

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The main beef I have with Adam's shows isn't his politics (I am not a petulant child who gets triggered if I hear opinions that differ from my own) but the repetitive nature of the shows. In recent times, if you listened to one Adam Carolla podcast, you've listened to them all. I stopped listening to the ACS a while ago; it's clear that he wants to have a morning zoo vibe and while that is all well and good for him, I don't care for that format. I stopped listening to Adam and Dr. Drew because of the sheer repetitive nature of the episodes. Adam whines about how nobody else has the work ethic that he has, insults Dr. Drew frequently, Dr. Drew kind of fumbles what he wants to say (assuming Adam gives him enough air time to say what he wants to say), and then occasionally take some calls. Insulting Dr. Drew may be appalling and it is but after a while, you start to have contempt for Dr. Drew. He says a lot of dumb things in order to put himself in with the "in" crowd, many of which dislike him for Celebrity Rehab and his stance on marijuana, which he changed I suspect not because he came around to another viewpoint, but because he got tired of getting slagged off by the likes of Doug Stanhope and Seth Rogen. I have little doubt that he knows his poo poo about a lot of things but the things he doesn't, it's cringeworthy. Furthermore, the guests they do have in occasionally are garbage since Adam scared off almost everyone who higher than a D-list celebrity. So it's mostly people whose glory days were 5-10+ years ago or people who are probably desperate to have any kind of attention. Even then, a lot of it is "heh, yeah, I used to love the old Loveline days" and that is about it.

I think if he were to talk about more than the school to prison pipeline, I might tune back in. Until then, forget it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wow I was surprised to hear that Lyntette is more adult about dealing with that poor dog than Adam is. Adam wont even talk about having the dog put down, and Lynette flat out says its time. The drat thing has tumors all over and is bleeding out of everywhere including its rear end. For fucks sake put the thing out of its misery.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok I just heard the episode. I wish I had read the helpful posts leading me to the good parts. But I get why you said it was worth listening to.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Goddamn, Adam has an annoying nasally drone but I'll be hosed if he didn't marry the one person on earth who's voice is somehow more annoying and nasally :stare:

Lynnette is the loving worst

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ok I just heard the episode. I wish I had read the helpful posts leading me to the good parts. But I get why you said it was worth listening to.

There's something magical about dana gould making fun of your dying dog to your face relentlessly for 5 minutes, try to get out of it, then have it brought up again only to have dana gould keep on making fun of your rear end bleeding dying dog.

Then the dog dies.

I mean does real life comedy get ANY darker?

JB50 posted:

Wow I was surprised to hear that Lyntette is more adult about dealing with that poor dog than Adam is. Adam wont even talk about having the dog put down, and Lynette flat out says its time. The drat thing has tumors all over and is bleeding out of everywhere including its rear end. For fucks sake put the thing out of its misery.

It was NOT the place to talk about the dying dog nor the right time. Especially with your drunk rear end wife. Whos drunk and in the crowd.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Veskit posted:

It was NOT the place to talk about the dying dog nor the right time. Especially with your drunk rear end wife. Whos drunk and in the crowd.

Who cares, Im sure Adam never wants to talk about because hes a huge baby about the dog. He probably dodges the subject constantly. Lynette is at least realistic about the whole thing. He cant even say the words 'put down' or 'euthanize', hes a huge baby about it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The dog is still alive and on new meds according to his twitter.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Diana Goa'uld is my favorite person associated with Adam, that's for sure.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

If anyone's interested, they've put Road Hard up for streaming on Amazon Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JB50 posted:

He needs Molly alive so he can still do live reads for BarkBox.