Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Fourth. I think Bernie would beat him.

Bernie might be able to beat him in a head to head race, but Walker is still more likely to be the next President, as he is much more likely to win his party's nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
google is always dreaming about dogs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't like lumping in Walker with the rest of the GOP clown car... That really does a disservice to what an evil piece of poo poo he is.

Cruz, Rand, Huckabee, Trump -- honestly, Walker may be a lightweight when it comes to sheer hatefulness in this crowd.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It's so, so fitting that Scott Walker was born in Colorado Springs. Everything about his malformed face to his malformed political ideology derives from that uniquely terrible place, and I'm sorry that a part of my state inflicted him upon the verdant dairy farms of Wisconsin. :saddowns:

lmao also at him dropping out of Marquette with a 2.6 GPA

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Walker: God told me

quote:

"My relationship with God drives every major decision in my life. Each day I pray and then take time to read from the Bible and from a devotional named Jesus Calling. As you can imagine, the months leading up to my announcement that I would run for President of the United States were filled with a lot of prayer and soul searching. Here’s why: I needed to be certain that running was God’s calling -- not just man’s calling. I am certain: This is God’s plan for me and I am humbled to be a candidate for President of the United States.

"Our conservative values were handed a big blow with the recent Supreme Court ruling. Let me be very clear: this decision was a grave mistake. Five unelected judges took it upon themselves to take that responsibility away from the states and redefine the institution of marriage. In 2006, I voted to amend my state constitution to protect the institution of marriage because I believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. I believe that the states have the right to define marriage. To protect this right, I support an amendment to the United States Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage." - Scott Walker

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So you did. I was just scanning quickly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Cruz, Rand, Huckabee, Trump -- honestly, Walker may be a lightweight when it comes to sheer hatefulness in this crowd.

It's less about hate and more about money though, and he's got 2 of the richest sugar daddies in the world.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

That whole argument is over and the poster is probated, please don't revive it.

Apologies, I hadn't gotten that far yet. Rather shocked it moved that fast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Vox Nihili posted:

Completely disagree. Those 4 are all MUCH less despicable than Walker is.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Will we get an Asian looking president before a Spanish one

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZenVulgarity posted:

We'll compromise and get a very Native looking Hispanic president.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

Unless one of the Castro's becomes VP and Hillary dies in office....

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A wrap up of Walker's recent accomplishments for people new to the Wisconsin Wonder:

quote:

1. Leads all-out war on workers, but fails to generate jobs and higher wages: In recent months, Walker has intensified the assault on workers, the poor and most vulnerable with punitive new laws and provisions of his new two-year $73 billion state budget. Since taking office, Walker has been staging this relentless war on worker rights and wages, despite already-declining household incomes—especially sharp in Wisconsin-- and the shrinkage of union power.

• Walker’s attacks on union rights build upon his 2011 “Act 10” which simultaneously abolished almost all collective bargaining rights of public employees to union representation and drove down the take-home pay of public employees by over 10%. These attacks on public employees clearly carried a sub-text of white antagonism toward African-Americans and Latinos, argue professors Hannah Walker and Dylan Bennett because of minority workers’ concentration in the public sector and the economic anxieties of whites.

• This spring, Walker’s signed a new anti-union “right-to-work” bill—contradicting previous promise to labor leaders and the public—that will surely further weaken the already-limited bargaining power of private-sector unions. The aim of this bill, with deeply racist roots, is to drive union membership in Wisconsin to Southern-style microscopic levels.

• Walker’s new state budget severely weakens “prevailing wage” protections for construction workers on public projects, outright elimination of the living wage concept which had been central to setting the state’s minimum wage, and the erosion of tenure and layoff protections for UW faculty.

• Walker’s anti-worker attacks and lavish corporate subsidies handed out by his newly-privatized and scandal-wracked Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation have failed to produce the family-sustaining jobs long promised by Walker. WEDC has been involved in providing funds for major firms shipping family-supporting jobs to offshore sites, along with aiding major Walker donors.

• He also has attacked the ‘living wage’ concept in state law. The new budget eliminates entirely a requirement that the governor consider what constitutes a “living wage” in working to establish an appropriate minimum wage for Wisconsin. Wisconsin’s minimum wage in the Walker years has been stuck at the $7.25 federal-set level, while 29 states and numerous cities have enacted far higher minimums ranging as high as $15 an hour.

The results have not helped the public. Examining both job gains and losses, Wisconsin’s drop in middle-income jobs have meant that only “low-wage” jobs have been increasing 2010 to 2013, according to Census Data. Even these undesirable jobs have been slow in arriving, with Wisconsin ranking 35th in job creation under Walker, as Politifact reported that the total number of jobs created under his administration was just 111,295, despite a 2010 pledge of generating 250,000 jobs in his first four years, which was central to his 2010 campaign.

Notably, state income growth has been terrible. Perhaps most painfully-experienced has been Wisconsin’s drop in household income as outlined in a Pew Research report released in March. Summarizing the findings, Capital Timesreporter Mike Ivey noted, “Wisconsin ranks worst among the 50 statesin terms of a shrinking middle class, with real median household incomes here falling 14.7 percent since 2000.

Wisconsin’s loss of household income amounts to more than double the national average drop of 7.2% according to the Pew report. While Walker cannot be held responsible for all of the trends underlying the fall in household income, Wisconsin’s economy has consistently lagged behind both Midwestern states and the nation, as Prof. Marc Levine has documented.

2. Undermining Wisconsin’s prized public education system. Public education in Wisconsin has ranked as among the best in nation, where it is widely viewed as a foundation of a democratic society. However, since in office, Walker has sliced funding for K-12 schools while consistently boosting funding and loosening standards for privatized voucher schools. He has also widened his attack by orchestrating a “hostile takeover” of powers held by the democratically elected Milwaukee Public School board, by usurping and transferring them to neo-liberal County Executive Chris Abele. He has also lowered the standards for teachers, with the new state budget eliminating qualification requirements for hiring teachers.

Walker hasn't stopped there, however. He's taken his anti-union agenda to the state university system, where he has tried to recast it as a narrow pathway serving ould-be employers and not a center of academic inquiry. He's tried to replace a century-long university mission of the search for truth and public service with a narrow, pro-corporate new vision of “providing state workforce needs.” While Walker initially claimed that he and his staff had no role in this proposal, media investigations showed the direct intervention of his staff in pushing the new budget language.

Walker also is imposing $250 million in budget cuts on the highly-esteemed University of Wisconsin system, ranked 19th best in the world. Other provisions call for virtually eliminating tenure and strengthening university administrators’ power over faculty, which is pandering to the long-held right-wing gripe that universities are hotbeds of liberal thought. Among the already-emerging results are older faculty seeking to flee UW and promising young professors steering clear of UW because there is no guarantee of tenure.

3. Less accountability and transparency. Walker's latest gambit to impose government secrecy has ignited a furor. Some of the most controversial features of the budget were prepared secretively and quickly rammed through by Republican allies in late-night meetings of the GOP-dominated (12-4) Joint Finance Committee. Even far-Right Republican Attorney General Brian Schimel denounced the tactic and substance, which include narrowing open record laws. He said, "Transparency is the cornerstone of democracy, and the provisions in the budget bill limiting access to public records move Wisconsin in the wrong direction.”

Walker, meanwhile, has acted with impunity, by insisting on secrecy for his records, as if the provision were already in effect. Yet, a near-universal wave of opposition forced withdrawal of this proposal tucked into the budget.

4. Humiliating and harming the vulnerable: The meaning of a Walker presidency was vividly made clear by his budget and recent laws he has signed. Looking at elements section by section reveals his harsh values and the agenda he would seek to impose in the nation if elected president.

• Attacking environmental protection. Numerous Dept. of Natural Resources scientists will be laid off, thereby silencing highly-credible analysis and criticism of his policies on air and water safety.

• Rolling back abortion rights. A key new item added to Walker’s right-wing checklist is a draconian 20-week limit on abortions without regard for rape, incest, or health of the mother.

• Humiliating public assistence recipients. He has required drug testing for food stamps and unemeployment insurance recipients. The federal government has moved to block such testings. Experiments in South Carolina and Florida showed a miniscule rate of drug use by aid recipients. Yet Walker persists in promoting this humiliating and insulting proposal.

Viewed as whole, the Walker-Republican budget combines a set of highly-regressive economic shifts benefitting corporations and the wealthy at the expense of workers with a host of anti-democratic measures ranging from weakening faculty involvement in university decision-making to re-shaping non-partisan state agencies to give them a profoundly Republican tilt.

The Public Isn't Buying It

But ominously for Walker, his personal approval rating has fallen to an all-time low of just 41% as of mid-April, according to a poll taken in April by MU Law School.

Walker has only deepened public disaffection with his continuing long absences from the state while intensely campaigning for the GOP nomination, which have consumed about 44% of his time in recent months. Walker’s disapproval rating has thus climbed from 48% in October 2014 to 56% in April of this year.

Walker, despite fairly narrow election victories of about 53% to 47% in 2010, 2012, and 2014, nonetheless feels a strong incentive to convert Wisconsin into a laboratory for rightist policies as part of his presidential campaign. His policies fit in with his long-standing goal of mobilizing a right-wing for 2016's Republican caucuses and primaries.

He and his GOP legislative allies can act with impunity because their highly secretive and partisan re-districting virtually guaranteed legislative domination into the future. In 2012, the Democrats won 60% of votes for the State Assembly but won only 39% of seats.

Walker has used the power of his office to impose his vision of a “Wis-issippi” with low wages, minimal corporate taxes, widespread crony capitalism, and a depleted public sector. This is the legacy he has brought to Wisconsin ad would seek to impose on the nation if his presidential aspirations are successful.
http://www.list.alternet.org/election-2016/4-horrifying-things-scott-walker-did-wisconsin-he-could-impose-all-america

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

Holy poo poo, an actual Native president would be a thing to behold....

Pity Warren isn't running! :v:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

computer parts posted:

I've always felt Lou Diamond Phillips was very presidential, and he'd cover a lot of ethnic bases.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Completely disagree. Those 4 are all MUCH less despicable than Walker is.

I would genuinely love to hear more about why Walker is worse. He strikes me as more of an empty suit than a deranged true believer, but then again I haven't had to be personally governed by him.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the anti-transparency thing. How the gently caress can a supposedly populist candidate get away with that bullshit?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pro click if you haven't.

That's not even the whole of it either. God I hate Scott Walker so so so so loving much for what he's done to my state.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Vox Nihili posted:

I would genuinely love to hear more about why Walker is worse. He strikes me as more of an empty suit than a deranged true believer, but then again I haven't had to be personally governed by him.

Oh, he's a true believer.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

He may be an empty suit, but as outlined in Shageletic's post above, he has been incredibly successful w/r/t implementing his awful policies

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
He's an unholy combination of empty suit and true believer, it's just that his true beliefs are completely centered on believing that he deserves to be President and nothing is off limits to get there, along with the Gospel of Ronald Reagan. Fucker is obsessed with Reagan.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Edit: Oh I forgot about the anti-transparency thing. How the gently caress can a supposedly populist candidate get away with that bullshit?

Kochdollars.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Unless one of the Castro's becomes VP and Hillary dies in office....

Hillary is a secret Chinese

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Vox Nihili posted:

http://www.thenation.com/article/how-scott-walker-built-career-sending-wisconsin-inmates-private-prisons/

quote:

Walker pushed dozens of proposals in the state house to lengthen criminal penalties, for everything from perjury to privacy invasion to intoxicated boating. In just the 1997–98 legislative session, Walker authored or co-sponsored twenty-seven different bills that either expanded the definition of crimes, increased mandatory minimums for offenders, or curbed the possibility of parole.

Walker’s biggest victory in this area was the state’s “Truth-in-Sentencing” legislation, which ended parole opportunities for many categories of prisoners, and increased prison time for others. “The time has come to keep violent criminals in prison for their full terms,” Walker said in 1996 as he advocated for the bill. Later, as chair of the state assembly’s Committee on Corrections and the Courts in 1998, Walker shepherded the legislation into state law.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vox Nihili posted:

I imagine the argument is something along the line that, while those four fuckers do run their idiot mouths a lot, none of them have done as much actual damage as Walker has to his state.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah that was my prior understanding of him, basically a suit stuffed full of corporate dollars.

But the abortion ban and welfare drug-testing do add a decidedly hateful edge to him. Probably somewhere around 0.8 Trumps.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

YES.

Also I just registered readyforwalkertexasranger.com

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Brannock posted:

He's an unholy combination of empty suit and true believer, it's just that his true beliefs are completely centered on believing that he deserves to be President and nothing is off limits to get there, along with the Gospel of Ronald Reagan. Fucker is obsessed with Reagan.

I am inviting you, Brannock, to attend my Ronald Regan Themed Anniversary Party.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump is hilarious, Rand is actually right on 1 or 2 issues, Cruz is actually in on the joke of how much he's pandering to crazy people and Huckabee, while VERY despicable himself at least seems like a jovial guy... Walker is just the worst on every possible axis. There is nothing redeeming about him at all. He's as pure evil as we have in american politics.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Joementum posted:

Trump offers an explanation for the discrepancy between his attendance estimates and the convention center's.

The fire code usually sets the capacity for rooms at under a third of what they can hold, right?
This is from like 15 pages back, but occupant load is determined by the use of the space (per Chapter 10 of the International Building Code). Standing space, space w/ fixed seating, space w/ loose seating, stages, etc. all have different occupant load factors that you divide the floor area by to get the occupant load (more or less - it's actually a little more complicated than that). However the posted occupant load may be lower than what the room can actually support if the required means of egress and/or number of restrooms can't be provided.

That the event staff closed the doors at around 4,200 (the posted occupant load) is enough to call Trump out on his bullshit, but even if you assumed an occupant load factor of 5 sq.ft. net (standing space), the ballroom couldn't fit 10k let alone 12 or 15.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Which is the least hateable Republican candidate that might win primaries

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Maybe Rubio?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I hope Scott Walker's Koch-puppetry antics and their inevitable results are put under a loving microscope on a national level as he's campaigning.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

somehow, Jeb!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Kyoon?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

I think it's Jeb. Just think about that for a minute.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm from Florida so

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jeb genuinely thinks his brother did everything right, though, which is pretty bad. He basically had to have his support for the Iraq war pried out of him.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Jeb genuinely thinks his brother did everything right, though, which is pretty bad. He basically had to have his support for the Iraq war pried out of him.

Honestly, he has a pretty low bar to jump over if he wants to be remembered as the better of the two.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

yeah, but they're all pieces of poo poo with zero empathy, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Walker is what happens when you take the crookedness of Nixon, mix it with the policies of Reagan, give it the intellectual curiosity of W Bush, and then the full financial backing of the Koch brothers.

• Locked thread