Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

That Works posted:

Any kind of spiced ground meat with sauteed vegetables and some other items for texture (crispy noodles / toasted chopped nuts etc) in lettuce wraps is a decent quick go-to.

d3rtus' kinda-sorta-like-laab/larb-but-not-authentic recipe

1.5 lbs fatty ground pork from your local Asian grocer
1 small yellow onion
2 stalks of fresh lemongrass
3 gloves garlic
10 - 15 red thai chilies
3 small limes
Vietnamese fish sauce
bunch of fresh Cilantro
Salt
MSG
Some sweetener like brown sugar or whatever

Dice the onion, mince the garlic, mince the lemongrass as small as you can get it, saute all this in a little peanut oil then throw in the ground pork and brown it HARD to the point the fat renders out and the pork begins to crackle and fry in its own fat

Roughly chop the chilis. I love a ton of Thai red chilies but de-seed them because 10 - 15 would make it far too hot for me. Their taste is incredible and that's what I'm using them for, not heat. Season with salt and MSG. If you like a lot of fish sauce, take it easy on the seasoning to compensate.

Juice the limes and mix with fish sauce and sweetener until you get a light brown color or whatever taste you like.

Throw the chilies in with the pork, mix it in, then dump the lime/fish sauce in and mix that in too.

Turn the heat off, mix a good handful of roughly chopped cilantro.

I guess you could throw in some sliced green peppers or whatever other vegetable you like. Ground toasted rice is also good. Maybe switch the yellow onion for green onions. Ginger can be good in this too. Replace onion and garlic with onion powder and garlic powder if you're lazy.

Serve however you like: with rice noodles, in lettuce cups, steamed jasmine rice, whatever. I also love mixing some of the leftovers in with 'good quality' Shin Ramyun ramen.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Mr. Wookums posted:

rubs

I also think someone posted something about either onion powder or garlic powder having some type of unique interaction in baking. I cannot find that again though.

Found it

http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/dough-snapback/

I read their sub-heading as "Pizza is the most powerful marketing tool in the pizza industry" and thought it was really deep.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Turkeybone posted:

I read their sub-heading as "Pizza is the most powerful marketing tool in the pizza industry" and thought it was really deep.

Really deep dish, man

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I want to thrown an artichoke on the grill tonight. Do you guys season yours or just thrown it on plain? Any dipping sauces you like?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Globe or Jerusalem?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Scientastic posted:

Globe or Jerusalem?

It's a globe. I never even heard of the other one. Learned something new!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I want to thrown an artichoke on the grill tonight. Do you guys season yours or just thrown it on plain? Any dipping sauces you like?

Cut them in half, clean out the choke, and par cook them. Either steam them, or boil them in salted water, your choice. About 20 minutes if you steam, 30 minutes if you boil, aim for slightly undercooked. Finish it off on the grill.

Personally, I like my artichoke plain, just seasoned with salt, with some sriracha mayo as a dip. A light coating of olive oil before it hits the grill wouldn't go wrong.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Tendales posted:

Cut them in half, clean out the choke, and par cook them. Either steam them, or boil them in salted water, your choice. About 20 minutes if you steam, 30 minutes if you boil, aim for slightly undercooked. Finish it off on the grill.

Personally, I like my artichoke plain, just seasoned with salt, with some sriracha mayo as a dip. A light coating of olive oil before it hits the grill wouldn't go wrong.

Thanks! I'll give that a try

Edit: First time making an artichoke myself and it was amazing. Thanks Tendales!

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 11, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's traditional to dip artichoke leaves in butter. If you have compound butter on hand, even better, or you could be lazy and sprinkle in a little garlic powder.

Re: onion powder, Penzey's makes toasted onion powder, and hnnnnng so good. Put that on a pork chop, and you get the taste of traditional pork and caramelized onions, but with a gorgeous crust.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I just smoked some chicken thighs using this rub and they were fantastic.

http://asweetandsavorylife.com/grilled-or-roasted-spice-rubbed-chicken-thighs-my-go-to-easy-dinner/

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got another freezing question: got a great deal on some grass-fed ribeye steaks today but won't be able to/don't want to eat them all within the next few days. Same process as ground beef for freezing I'm guessing, but saran-wrap them before putting them into the freezer bags?

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

That Works posted:

Personally I'd make a big pot of chicken and sausage jambalaya as its my go to for feeding a lot of people on the cheap. Red beans are also good and can be frozen and then later served on rice as is or with some grilled sausage etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of a big batch of jambalaya. Do you have any experience with freezing it? I think it would be fine if i did not use shrimp and froze it for about a week.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I got myself another pigs head and instead of making head cheese like I normally do, I am thinking I want to roast the entire head for dinner tomorrow night. My only issue is, I have never roasted one and I am looking for recommendations. I am thinking a overnight brine, a nice spice rub with a good cooking liquid and probably cook it for 3-4 hrs at 375 degrees. Anybody have any hints on how to cook this bad boy nicely?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rythe posted:

So I got myself another pigs head and instead of making head cheese like I normally do, I am thinking I want to roast the entire head for dinner tomorrow night. My only issue is, I have never roasted one and I am looking for recommendations. I am thinking a overnight brine, a nice spice rub with a good cooking liquid and probably cook it for 3-4 hrs at 375 degrees. Anybody have any hints on how to cook this bad boy nicely?

These three links look pretty solid, but only one mentions brining beforehand.

quote:

The roasting of a Pig’s Head is a joyous culinary adventure.

http://drunkpiggie.tumblr.com/post/143038455/cabesa-puerca-pigs-head-roasted
http://gapersblock.com/drivethru/2014/10/21/my_adventure_cooking_pigs_head/
http://lavarenne.com/recipe/fergus-hendersons-slow-roast-pigs-head/

The roasted pig head was a beautiful golden brown. I immediately broke off an ear and started to munch. It was chewy and very tasty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unknownmass posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of a big batch of jambalaya. Do you have any experience with freezing it? I think it would be fine if i did not use shrimp and froze it for about a week.

In my experience the rice would get mushy and overall the consistency will not be as good but it will still taste real good. I generally wouldn't advise it but it is do-able.

If you need to make a bunch of something and freeze I'd go with gumbo or even etoufee instead. Then you could make up some plain white rice the day you want to serve, defrost and add.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

Got another freezing question: got a great deal on some grass-fed ribeye steaks today but won't be able to/don't want to eat them all within the next few days. Same process as ground beef for freezing I'm guessing, but saran-wrap them before putting them into the freezer bags?

Vacuum seal em if you can

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

Vacuum seal em if you can

I don't have any fancy equipment but I do have freezer zip-lock bags and a straw, fingers crossed that'll work. They'll be in the freezer no longer than a month.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't have any fancy equipment but I do have freezer zip-lock bags and a straw, fingers crossed that'll work. They'll be in the freezer no longer than a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lh6lGj20Jw

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

close the bag as much as possible and dunk the whole thing except the opening into a bowl of water to force out all the air.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I have a recipe for Texas chili that calls for 5 New Mexico chiles. Sadly, I live in Tennessee and I spent much of the day hitting up every Latin market in 2 counties, and not one of them had any fresh chiles that I couldn't get at my local Publix. So I have dried new mexicos, dried anchos, and dried guajillos. How can I substitute rehydrated dried chiles for fresh? I recognize that while the taste may be the same there will be textural differences, but I'm pretty much stuck.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I own an actual vacuum sealer but if I don't want to custom cut bags from the rolls of plastic I use this method when doing sous vide and it is A+++ doubleplus good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LongSack posted:

I have a recipe for Texas chili that calls for 5 New Mexico chiles. Sadly, I live in Tennessee and I spent much of the day hitting up every Latin market in 2 counties, and not one of them had any fresh chiles that I couldn't get at my local Publix. So I have dried new mexicos, dried anchos, and dried guajillos. How can I substitute rehydrated dried chiles for fresh? I recognize that while the taste may be the same there will be textural differences, but I'm pretty much stuck.

I've always made Texas chili from dried ones. Just chop em up and remove the seeds and keep going. They will sit in the cooking liquid long enough to rehydrate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

LongSack posted:

To reinforce what That Works is saying, not only have I always made Texas chili using dried chiles, but I'm pretty sure that's what Kenji is calling for in his Texas chili recipe. Some chiles are just impossible to find fresh, so just make do with dried ones. What he does is cook them a bit then simmer them in stock before blending the whole thing.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Jan posted:

To reinforce what That Works is saying, not only have I always made Texas chili using dried chiles, but I'm pretty sure that's what Kenji is calling for in his Texas chili recipe. Some chiles are just impossible to find fresh, so just make do with dried ones. What he does is cook them a bit then simmer them in stock before blending the whole thing.

OK, that makes sense. I think i will reconstitute them in boiling water, then make a puree from the chiles and some of the water. Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LongSack posted:

OK, that makes sense. I think i will reconstitute them in boiling water, then make a puree from the chiles and some of the water. Thanks!

If you add in tablespoon or so of vinegar into that water it will help them soften up a bit faster and the colors will come out a little more. This is what I do when I reconstitute them before blending to use in a wet rub on ribs / pork shoulders etc.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is there a thread or a good website for elimination diet recipes? I'm trying to figure out what is wrecking me regularly and I don't want to just eat chicken and brown rice. I did some googling and its mostly just bullshit doctor oz poo poo talking about how everything is killing us but I know there's got to be something better than that out there.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tigntink posted:

Is there a thread or a good website for elimination diet recipes? I'm trying to figure out what is wrecking me regularly and I don't want to just eat chicken and brown rice. I did some googling and its mostly just bullshit doctor oz poo poo talking about how everything is killing us but I know there's got to be something better than that out there.

People have talked about how all the different megathreads are kind of annoying and taking over the forum, and this sounds like an interesting one for a smaller, more focused thread, especially if it's a real elimination diet and not Dr. Oz or naturalnews or whatever.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Re: Potato salad recipes

Cavenagh posted:

My basic one is:

Small waxy potatoes, such as fingerlings or Jersey Royals. Halved. Boiled, allowed to cool, crisped and browned in olive oil or butter. Allowed to cool again.
Mild onions, like Spring Onions or Shallots, finely chopped. Or Chives.
Herbs. Loads of Chervil and Tarragon if possible, or if making something more defined like a curry potato salad, corriander leaf. What ever you have and goes.
Some broken up toasted walnuts.
Good olive oil based dressing. Or good home made mayo.
Wholegrain mustard.
Salt and pepper.

Mix well, looking for a ratio where the potatoes are coated in the dressing but it's not a swamp.

I use that as the building blocks. When I make one, it's with half an eye on what it's going to be et with. So herbs, nuts and the dressing may well change to go with fish, ham etc etc. What is key is keeping it simple, allowing the spud to shine.

From days ago, but I was actually looking for something that has hard-boiled eggs and no walnuts in it.

Sorry I didn't think to mention the eggs earlier. I thought that was something that was in most potato salads.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Re: Potato salad recipes

From days ago, but I was actually looking for something that has hard-boiled eggs and no walnuts in it.

Sorry I didn't think to mention the eggs earlier. I thought that was something that was in most potato salads.

You're really overthinking it. Potato salad is dead easy (and awesome). If you want hard-boiled eggs in your potato salad, hardboil some eggs, peel them, dice them in quarters, and mix them in. I think I do 2-3 eggs per pound of potatoes. It's been a while though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Seriously just add a bunch of poo poo to it and taste it. If it doesn't taste good, add more or less of other stuff until it tastes good. Potato salad is great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You should make warm potato salad, a.k.a. Rakott Krumpli. With meat.

But that potato salad recipe you posted just remove the nuts and poo poo. It's all good. Otherwise, make these Creamy Dill Potatos and add some eggs or whatever and it's fuckin' delicious cold.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 13, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
traditional Murican cold potato salad is 10x better with celery and a little celery salt. IMO, paprika and seasoning salt should always make it in there too. I have never been big on browning the potatoes though, maybe just because that's not the texture I expect in that. I also never use olive oil in that stuff.

I would also second getting a good whole grain mustard because it beats the poo poo out of anything else.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I recently picked up a package of nice-looking, whole calamari (frozen). I've eaten calamari tons of times in restaurants, usually either fried or sauteed as an appetizer, but never cooked it at home. Any recipe suggestions? Bonus points if they're relatively quick to prep & cook, since it'll most likely be a weekday meal and I tend to get home from the gym pretty late.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
The best potato salad I've ever eaten is just cold potatoes mixed with diced garlic, olive oil, and parsley. The more garlicky the better!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is a great potato salad recipe imo. I do it on a griddle pan rather than a barbecue/grill

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1511/grilled-red-onion-and-potato-salad

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this owns, i can't bring myself to make any other potato salad

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/grilled-jalapeno-potato-salad-recipe.html

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I brought the ATK German potato salad recipe to work, and it persisted as a side to the sausage plate for like 6 years:

2 pounds medium red potatoes (1 to 2 inches in diameter), unpeeled, scrubbed, and halved if smaller or quartered if larger
Table salt
8 ounces bacon (about 8 strips), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon whole-grain German-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender (thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of potatoes with little resistance), about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup potato cooking water, then drain potatoes; return potatoes to pot and cover to keep warm.
2.While potatoes are cooking, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1/4 cup bacon grease. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Add vinegar and reserved potato cooking water; bring to simmer and cook until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Off heat, whisk in mustard and pepper. Add potatoes, parsley, and bacon to skillet and toss to combine; adjust seasoning with salt. Transfer to serving bowl and serve.
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish. Published September 1, 2003.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rj54x posted:

I recently picked up a package of nice-looking, whole calamari (frozen). I've eaten calamari tons of times in restaurants, usually either fried or sauteed as an appetizer, but never cooked it at home. Any recipe suggestions? Bonus points if they're relatively quick to prep & cook, since it'll most likely be a weekday meal and I tend to get home from the gym pretty late.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/barbecued-squid-salad

Check that salad out, maybe? I've only ever had them fried or done up with other sashimi.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

I seared a chicken liver in my skillet yesterday. I liked the taste but it was dry and gritty. I assume I just overcooked it, but I just wanted to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is bonemeal healthy? Do humans with a normal diet get any benefit from adding bone meal into their diets? Like, with bones after making stock or something.

divx posted:

I seared a chicken liver in my skillet yesterday. I liked the taste but it was dry and gritty. I assume I just overcooked it, but I just wanted to make sure.

Yeah, that's over cooking. It really doesn't take much. You probably cooked it a lot longer than it needed.

Chicken liver tends to be too wet and small to get a good sear in my opinion, unless you take a great deal of care (more than it's worth), so I like to quickly ghetto braise it in a pan with some spices and then use that remaining liquid as a base for a quick and easy sauce - either for the livers, or for other things down the line.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 13, 2015