Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah, sounds like corpses means your fourth-row guy with no moves usable from the front rank won't get shoved to the front and be helpless if everyone else dies.
Yeah, that's been a real SNAFU for me at times, losing one random guy to a bad crit/roll and then realizing my healer/CC can't do most of their poo poo. And I probably only upgraded the abilities I'd intended for them to use, rather than upgrading all in case of dead people falling out of the line.. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

I've kind of wondered about that. Are you paying these guys? At minimum they seem to be getting free food and board in your barracks, free discretionary funds for 'leisure activity', free funds for equipment and training, and free 'health insurance' at the Sanitarium. Are they getting a cut from the treasure you bring back?

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Crasical posted:

I've kind of wondered about that. Are you paying these guys? At minimum they seem to be getting free food and board in your barracks, free discretionary funds for 'leisure activity', free funds for equipment and training, and free 'health insurance' at the Sanitarium. Are they getting a cut from the treasure you bring back?

Given how many of their barks are about getting a share of the treasure, yeah, probably.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Crasical posted:

90% of them will be killed by their organization or the law if they don't become important enough heroes to receive a pardon. The other 10% are actively wishing for death but can't bring themselves to commit suicide until they start going loopy in the dungeons. The more you know!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Crasical posted:

Plot twist, your whole estate is the Sanitarium and you're just housing all the exiled crazed loonies

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Crasical posted:

I know Reynauld certainly is.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
This is slightly spergy, but when (and where) the hell is Darkest Dungeon taking place? Plague doctors, Flintlocks, and Highwaymen sort of place the timeline in the 1600-1700 range, But the Crusader, Vestal, Man-At-Arms, Jester and Vestal sort of feel more like a 1200-1300 era thing. And I'm not really sure what to make of the Hellion.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
make of her a glorious murderer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crasical posted:

This is slightly spergy, but when (and where) the hell is Darkest Dungeon taking place? Plague doctors, Flintlocks, and Highwaymen sort of place the timeline in the 1600-1700 range, But the Crusader, Vestal, Man-At-Arms, Jester and Vestal sort of feel more like a 1200-1300 era thing. And I'm not really sure what to make of the Hellion.

Ye Olde Wyrd Medievil Fantasy Times

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It seems like it just takes place is some GrimDark anachronistic alternate universe, sort of like an evil Fallout.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Crasical posted:

The helmet design the crusader uses looks a lot like a design from the 1500-1600s era.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seems like it just takes place is some GrimDark anachronistic alternate universe, sort of like an evil Fallout.

The role you play is containment, isn't it? Maybe the outside world beyond the town isn't quite the shitshow.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Artificer posted:

The role you play is containment, isn't it? Maybe the outside world beyond the town isn't quite the shitshow.

TheBlandName posted:

90% of them will be killed by their organization or the law if they don't become important enough heroes to receive a pardon. The other 10% are actively wishing for death but can't bring themselves to commit suicide until they start going loopy in the dungeons. The more you know!

It's still pretty terrible everywhere else the heroes care to talk about. The major religion worships what is probably another eldritch abomination. And Vestals are weapons of war created by torturing girls until they become conduits for Its power.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Crasical posted:

DD takes place in a bootleg of the "Warhammer Fantasy" setting

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 12, 2015

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
What stuck out to me is the tinned food you’re buying for your adventurers and the mechanical sawblade traps in the warrens. This puts the game in the first quarter of the nineteenth century at the absolute earliest. I like to think of the industrial revolution taking hold, people moving into cities and being ground down by modernisation and the realities of factory labour. Mysticism fades and its adherents lose influence. Adventurers are now a relic, forced to retreat to dark corners of the earth and undertake foul work for the likes of us.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheBlandName posted:

It's still pretty terrible everywhere else the heroes care to talk about. The major religion worships what is probably another eldritch abomination. And Vestals are weapons of war created by torturing girls until they become conduits for Its power.

Wait. Where did you get these conclusions? I don't recall hearing any lines about it...

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm kinda wondering too, The Vestal sometimes throws out 'SUFFER AS I HAVE' during a crit, but that's it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yeah, would anyone be so kindly as to link to where you found the lore for Darkest Dungeon? People keep talking about the backstories of these characters, but I haven't gotten any of it from the in-game text.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Most of the lines I've only seen by digging through \DarkestDungeon\localization\dialogue.string_table.xml .

But every hero has at least one dark secret that they're only likely to share when they're under a specific affliction (masochistic, paranoid, depressed, etc.) or virtue (vigorous, powerful, etc.) and you're in the right scenario, either combat or camping depending on the secret. Sometimes you need them to reject using a skill, sometimes you need them to reject benefiting from a skill, and sometimes they need to act on their own.

But there's enough bits and pieces that you can nail some facts down solidly.

And if you're playing well and managing your stress you'll never see a word of it.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Want to share some of these dark secrets, for those of us who don't mind the spoilers? I'm 40 weeks into the game and I don't know some of this stuff.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Sure. Spoilers ahead.

I don't know much about the Arbalest. Her lines weren't in the document when I did my crawl through it.

The Bounty Hunter has a compulsive need to gamble. That's why he's in his profession, gambling his life against the next few weeks worth of coin. The situation around the estate is the highest stakes he's ever heard of, so he's in.

The Crusader has more dialogue than anyone else, with more potential lines for any situation than anyone else. He's been sent on his last crusade. For some reason The Church is unhappy with him and has sentenced him to death through martyrdom. This is possibly related to his dead wife/lover/childhood sweetheart (their exact relationship isn't specified). The Crusader has regrets over leaving her behind for a life in service to The Church. The Crusader was pushed onto this path by his father who was a physically abusive parent.

The Grave Robber was an incredibly wealthy noblewoman. She was caught after stealing something and it's not clear whether this was a one off attempt or the latest in a lifetime of theft. She was stripped of all her wealth and titles, but the judge was lenient and did not sentence her to death. Since that time she's been struggling to survive through stealing things that nobody is watching. From graves mostly, but she boasts about a couple ventures of tomb robbing. She still suffers the vices of a noblewoman and presumably is spending her riches on laudanum.

The Hellion is from a barbaric tribe who worships animal spirits. She was probably banished, which is why she's in civilized lands talking and working with people she doesn't particularly like or trust. She is learning how to read because most people in her tribe could not.

The Highwayman is wanted by the law for his numerous, numerous murders. He has trouble sleeping because of them. He may have killed his wife in a bout of paranoia, but there was literally just a single line of his that mentions her so that line might "belong" to the Crusader. He's looking for a personal sense of redemption.

The Jester was the king's personal court jester. Life at court was pretty lovely and he was beaten on a regular basis. So he ran off to kill himself, but he didn't have the nerve to go through with it. He signed up to be a hero because it sounded incredibly dangerous, a good way to get killed. He's actually pretty good at the whole "faking courage" bit that he does to keep up with the group.

The Leper is also ready for death and unwilling to kill himself, but I'm pretty bad at interpreting poetry so that's the "secret" thing I know about him.

The Man at Arms went to the estate to die to atone for how he got his squad killed (his lines were in the file from the first release). He knowingly led his squad into a trap orchestrated by his commanding officers because he was ordered to. Now that he's here he finds himself seeking to atone by being the good squad leader that he used to be.

The Occultist actually has an Eldritch Demon in his head. He was just a naive, highly educated professor at some foreign university who recently stumbled into a bargain with a force Man Was Not Meant To Know. The deal is the demon gets his soul in exchange for the Occultist's magic powers while he's alive. The Occultist is taking a sabbatical from his teaching duties to track down some way of ending the deal, and looting the libraries of the Ancestor seemed like a pretty solid lead. I could have sworn the Occultist's lines were where I got the idea that The Flame worshiped by the major religion was just another abomination.

The Plague Doctor has an unhealthy obsession with bugs, I guess. She's very keen on pushing medical knowledge further in spite of any cultural taboos against her methods. It's kind of funny that "real life historical pioneer of medical knowledge" is quirky enough to qualify for heroship in Darkest Dungeon. And when I mentioned her obsession with bugs, I meant it. In addition to studying their corpses, killing monsters allows her to feed her maggots. And when she's in one of her moods she doesn't care whether the maggots will be feeding on her or her allies.

The Vestal was inducted into her convent as a young girl. There was a bit of references to her being especially blessed which is why her parents were talked into it. It's pretty clear that she was recruited by the convent. There the sisters practice a strict regimen of prayer to The Flame, denial of self, and mortification of the flesh to awaken their ability to shoot lightning bolts at people. The sisters are taught that all outsiders are corrupt and evil people, and any form of intimacy or friendship with outsiders is deemed sinful. The Vestal is just as approving of martyrdom as an ideal as the Crusader. She'll make references to her injuries being a source of power and her soul is supposed to be close enough to The Flame that ordinary people would die.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

:vince: God drat is that a lot of character we never see. I can understand why we don't get much of this, but man is that interesting stuff to find.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Plague Doctor's thing with the maggots isn't a dark secret, it's just good medical practice. Maggots can be astonishingly effective in the low-tech treatment of gangrene, and if properly applied, can pretty much completely cure it by eating all the dead, gangrenous flesh while leaving the living flesh untouched.

However, this practice (sometimes called "biosurgery" in modern days - it's so effective that it's still used in the age of MRIs and laser surgery!) requires specific kinds of maggots, raised from eggs under specific conditions so that they will be clean and bacteria-free and won't introduce any other nastiness to the wound when applied. The PD isn't a weirdo who keeps gross bugs as pets and feeds them bits of monsters - she's a medical genius who nurtures biosurgical maggots and recovers pieces of monster cadaver to nourish them with, tossing out a darkly humorous "I'll save this bit for later" while making a mental note to properly treat and sterilize the "bit" so the maggots can eat it without becoming host to unwanted bacterial contamination.

e: I mean, think about it - this is a character who can cure severe bleeding lacerations and some kind of profane necrotic poison in like a minute or less, using phials of pre-mixed pharmaceuticals carried on her person. She also carries medicinal leeches with her and can use them effectively in the treatment of many serious illnesses. She is familiar with wound dressing and surgery. She even understands the principles of chemical and biological warfare and can employ them using sealed "grenades" filled with toxic and/or infectious materials. The Plague Doctor isn't some mad-science quack, she's a (for her nebulous time period) shockingly advanced chemist and medical doctor. That's exactly why she falls in with the other outcasts - she studies and understands the causes, symptoms, prevention, and treatment of disease and affliction, and all the superstitious peasants around her see is a weird scary witch in a diabolic mask who throws bottled curses and keeps maggots and leeches as pets. If she hadn't gone to the Estate to further her studies, she'd probably have ended up burned at the stake by a bunch of Vestals and Crusaders somewhere.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 13, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not sure you've seen exactly how creepy she gets with regard to her bugs bro

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Coolguye posted:

I'm not sure you've seen exactly how creepy she gets with regard to her bugs bro

I've seen a few lines about them, but nothing really off-the-wall. She can be a genius physician and a weird Gil Grissom sperg with a bug fascination at the same time, though :colbert:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
It's a shame we're sending these medical geniuses into the meat grinder constantly, but hey, pigmen need killing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheBlandName posted:

The Plague Doctor has an unhealthy obsession with bugs, I guess. She's very keen on pushing medical knowledge further in spite of any cultural taboos against her methods. It's kind of funny that "real life historical pioneer of medical knowledge" is quirky enough to qualify for heroship in Darkest Dungeon. And when I mentioned her obsession with bugs, I meant it. In addition to studying their corpses, killing monsters allows her to feed her maggots. And when she's in one of her moods she doesn't care whether the maggots will be feeding on her or her allies.

A woman after my own heart

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Per the official DD twitter, the Jester is "getting some love" in tomorrow's patch. Might help with the lack of purpose issues?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Per the official DD twitter, the Jester is "getting some love" in tomorrow's patch. Might help with the lack of purpose issues?

Was just about to post it, glad he's getting some love

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Man, picked up the game again for the first time in a long while yesterday and had an amazing run.

Had a couple too many people in the barracks, and decided to throw a hastily cobbled-together team against the Sonorous Prophet. Never fought the guy before, so I'm basically just saying what the gently caress ever. Team is a Crusader, a Hellion, a PD, and an Occultist. They're all resolve 1.

I slice through the level itself without too much difficulty. Ended up a bit low on torches, but nothing to worry about. Then I hit the prophet and realize that I've got nobody who can actually hit the fucker without cutting through two levels of pews. Crusader and Hellion get to work while the PD and Occultist do their best to keep people healed. Which, obviously, his a horrifically losing battle. Death's Door dances start quickly, and the Crusader gets in on the healing act with Battle Heal. That gets complicated, though, when the Crusader goes Abusive while the Occultist goes Paranoid. The PD fails a Death's Door roll early and dies from blight. The Hellion is the only one consistently dealing damage, but shortly after the second line of pews fall and she's able to get to work (she's new, so she had neither If It Bleeds nor Iron Swan), the third wisecrack from the Crusader makes her snap...

...and she goes Stalwart.

The rest of the fight is her screaming to her gods that she has passed the test and fervently praying for them to be with her. The Occultist and Crusader keep slinging out abuse and tirades and failing to keep themselves properly healed, so they eventually roll one too many Deathblow rolls and go down to feed the worms. Then it's just my Hellion, with her rapidly dwindling health and the Prophet continuously gibbering about her doom. He's got 29 HP. She's knocked to Death's Door by falling rubble. A blight tick hits her. She fights through the pain...and crits the ever living poo poo out of that motherfucker for 32. She grabbed everything she could from the corpses and high-tailed it out, the lone survivor that finally made peace with her gods.

I'm actually considering dismissing her and letting her story end there. I feel like after that, she's more or less done what she came to the Hamlet to do. It seems a little lame to have it end with a simple dismissal, but what's the alternative?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Man, picked up the game again for the first time in a long while yesterday and had an amazing run.

Had a couple too many people in the barracks, and decided to throw a hastily cobbled-together team against the Sonorous Prophet. Never fought the guy before, so I'm basically just saying what the gently caress ever. Team is a Crusader, a Hellion, a PD, and an Occultist. They're all resolve 1.

I slice through the level itself without too much difficulty. Ended up a bit low on torches, but nothing to worry about. Then I hit the prophet and realize that I've got nobody who can actually hit the fucker without cutting through two levels of pews. Crusader and Hellion get to work while the PD and Occultist do their best to keep people healed. Which, obviously, his a horrifically losing battle. Death's Door dances start quickly, and the Crusader gets in on the healing act with Battle Heal. That gets complicated, though, when the Crusader goes Abusive while the Occultist goes Paranoid. The PD fails a Death's Door roll early and dies from blight. The Hellion is the only one consistently dealing damage, but shortly after the second line of pews fall and she's able to get to work (she's new, so she had neither If It Bleeds nor Iron Swan), the third wisecrack from the Crusader makes her snap...

...and she goes Stalwart.

The rest of the fight is her screaming to her gods that she has passed the test and fervently praying for them to be with her. The Occultist and Crusader keep slinging out abuse and tirades and failing to keep themselves properly healed, so they eventually roll one too many Deathblow rolls and go down to feed the worms. Then it's just my Hellion, with her rapidly dwindling health and the Prophet continuously gibbering about her doom. He's got 29 HP. She's knocked to Death's Door by falling rubble. A blight tick hits her. She fights through the pain...and crits the ever living poo poo out of that motherfucker for 32. She grabbed everything she could from the corpses and high-tailed it out, the lone survivor that finally made peace with her gods.

I'm actually considering dismissing her and letting her story end there. I feel like after that, she's more or less done what she came to the Hamlet to do. It seems a little lame to have it end with a simple dismissal, but what's the alternative?

Pay her performance by giving her time at the Sanitarium, then bring her back into the team. :v: It's what I do for my heroes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

She's actually lacking any bad quirks right now, and due to her Stalwart break, she shed so much stress that it doesn't even make sense to pay for stress relief (she's at, like, 35).

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The reasons these people all end up at the estate is that they have nowhere else to go. Sending them away is another kind of death sentence.

There really should be a list of dismissed heroes in the graveyard. That's where they will end up. Torn to bits on the road out of the town, or worse.

The kindest thing you can do is fix em up, buy them something nice, and send them out there with at least some good backup. It's for their own good.

Best not to learn her name though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

captain innocuous posted:

The reasons these people all end up at the estate is that they have nowhere else to go. Sending them away is another kind of death sentence.

There really should be a list of dismissed heroes in the graveyard. That's where they will end up. Torn to bits on the road out of the town, or worse.

The kindest thing you can do is fix em up, buy them something nice, and send them out there with at least some good backup. It's for their own good.

I hadn't thought about it but the really mixed up losers that wind up on the roster are like XCom: Night's Watch edition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

New Hero: The Houndmaster!
Steam Cloud Save!
New Sanitarium features: lock positive quirks for added character customization!
Diseases have been expanded, and are curable in their own wing of the Sanitarium.
Corpses in combat - an exciting twist on our combat system!
Consult the Caretaker in the in-game glossary!
New consumables, FX, & UI improvements!
Extensive and ongoing balancing and tuning...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Consult the Caretaker in the in-game glossary!

I hope that it's all in-universe text

Lore me up

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Can't wait to try out the new merc, hoping he is another that can make good use of marks.

Update going live around 10AM Pacific Time according to their Twitter so should be soon!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

captain innocuous posted:

If some sort of "village gets attacked by monsters" mechanic is ever implemented, I really hope it'll be possible for villagers to get killed and need replacing, so you can grab some random Occultist off the caravan to tend bar with his dark magicks or have your half-insane retired Jester take up residence as the Sanitarium's shrink.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mackers posted:

Can't wait to try out the new merc, hoping he is another that can make good use of marks.

Going to guess he can either set/abuse marks, gets bonuses against beast enemies, and (hopefully?) can hang out in the back and sic his dog on stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Going to guess he can either set/abuse marks, gets bonuses against beast enemies, and (hopefully?) can hang out in the back and sic his dog on stuff.

You know how blobs and necromancers summons skeletons and other stuff? I hope the houndmaster can summon up pups! ALL THE PUPPIES.