Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Twobirds posted:

I found Cave Of Dreams

I did the quest but it went into my journal as failed. I really don't know why although I did pass out at the end, was I not supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Taear posted:

I did the quest but it went into my journal as failed. I really don't know why although I did pass out at the end, was I not supposed to?
Nah it just fails for no reason after king's gambit - same thing happened to me. It might only happen if you come across blueboy yourself rather than getting the quest from lugos, but I definitely finished and had it "completed" before it failed.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Wow, I kinda feel like I've done act 2 while doing act 1. After finding out where Ciri is, I got all the old friend quests and half of 'em were done. :xd: I basically only have Gwent card poo poo left in side missions and hunts. Gotta eventually get all the other school diagrams even though Griffin School uber alles. Also, I though Skellige was a pain in the rear end to transverse with all the mountains... Kaer Morhen is a royal loving pain to get to some of that poo poo.

Palpek posted:

I like how Dijkstra calculates absolutely everything - when you turn down Triss he starts telling you in a bro-manner that you're an idiot and that you could have totally stopped her and told her how you feel. When you choose the right dialogue options after that you can get him to say that the only reason why he's concerned is that your other love interest - Yen is politically involved with the Empire and it woud be safer for Dijkstra for you to end up being with Triss as when you're Yen's boyfriend you might become Dijkstra's enemy in the long run. The same calculating mind can be revealed when you push him about why he helps the mages escape Novigrad etc. There is not a single thing this guy does out of kindness of his heart.

That's what I like about him though. He's very much every politician ever. OH BUT (insert name) IS DIFFERENT AND LOVES THE PEOPLE. No, he doesn't. Everything done is very calculated and if Dijkstra can leverage the freedom of hte mages to his benefit, so much the better. Dude's a prick, but he's 100% dead on about what issues there are and what needs to be done about Radovid. I wish I had gotten him his treasure instead of just handing him the key. :smith:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Any word if we are getting the patch today?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What potion do you get if you pick Potions during Kaer Morhen battle prep? Is it a unique one? I basically have everything Superior already so it seems like kind of a waste.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

cheesetriangles posted:

Any word if we are getting the patch today?
No idea and I really need it. Skellige started to freeze my PC every 10 minutes no matter what I do. I can run the game on max everything and then some but these crashing issues have really stalled me playing the game in the past few days. Of course it may as well be that the patch doesn't change anything.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I would sincerely pay $5 for a "wolf plague" DLC where all the wolves are stricken with a horrible disease and they are wiped from existence in this game. Have the Druid sell wolf livers or whatever you need for the alchemy when it's active. They're trivial and in many cases you can just ride right past them, but I'm just getting tired of running somehwere or doing a contract or whatever and all of a sudden a pack of 20 level 10 wolves comes after me. They go down easy but Jesus Christ wolves.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JetsGuy posted:

I would sincerely pay $5 for a "wolf plague" DLC where all the wolves are stricken with a horrible disease and they are wiped from existence in this game. Have the Druid sell wolf livers or whatever you need for the alchemy when it's active. They're trivial and in many cases you can just ride right past them, but I'm just getting tired of running somehwere or doing a contract or whatever and all of a sudden a pack of 20 level 10 wolves comes after me. They go down easy but Jesus Christ wolves.

So send Flowerchild a Redkit, problem solved!

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Palpek posted:

No idea and I really need it. Skellige started to freeze my PC every 10 minutes no matter what I do. I can run the game on max everything and then some but these crashing issues have really stalled me playing the game in the past few days. Of course it may as well be that the patch doesn't change anything.

I'm kind of at my limit on how many random CTDs I can handle, so I'm hoping 1.07 helps with that. The changelog cites improvements to "stability" and I'm crossing my fingers that it will help alleviate my issues. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

What potion do you get if you pick Potions during Kaer Morhen battle prep? Is it a unique one? I basically have everything Superior already so it seems like kind of a waste.

Superior Swallow and Thunderbolt is what I got.

Worthless as I'd already upgraded all the potions I regularly used to Superior long before I got to Kaer Morhen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So I deleted most of my saves and disabled cloud syncing in Steam options and the game stopped crashing on Skellige :psyduck:.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I would like to know why we're only allowed 10 saves on PS4... Yeah, that PS interface is annoying and lovely but only 10 slots, I routinely save...

Like after an hour of gameplay, I've overwritten them all lol.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Taear posted:

I don't remember passing out. Mine is still listed as completed and I'm done with the Act 1 stuff in Skellige. Did you finish Phantom of Edelburg? It ends up related to Cave of Dreams.

It looks like a lot of folks have it listed as failed despite completing it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Twobirds posted:

I don't remember passing out. Mine is still listed as completed and I'm done with the Act 1 stuff in Skellige. Did you finish Phantom of Edelburg? It ends up related to Cave of Dreams.

I don't know, I can't remember which quest that is.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Twobirds posted:

For some reason, although I did the quest, when Blueboy dies to the Bezerkers it moved to FAILED for me. I reloaded and for whatever reason when I did that part again it didn't. It was weird.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't worry about it. I had that bug too and there are no consequences other than having a quest in the failed part of your quest log.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 13, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JetsGuy posted:

For some reason, although I did the quest, when Blueboy dies to the Bezerkers it moved to FAILED for me. I reloaded and for whatever reason when I did that part again it didn't. It was weird.

Late in the game I had one of Triss' statue quests move from Complete back to Active for me. I've beaten the game and it's still active.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

pik_d posted:

Late in the game I had one of Triss' statue quests move from Complete back to Active for me. I've beaten the game and it's still active.

I have a second one I got after I helped her escape Novigrad, and I hope she shows up in Kaer Morhen because it's my only hope to talk to her about it.

Sindai posted:

Don't worry about it. I had that bug too and there are no consequences other than having a quest in the failed part of your quest log.

Yeah I have two "failed" quests, one of which is the famous "Gangs of Novigrad" and the other I don't remember off the top of my head.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pik_d posted:

It might have been due to getting a duplicate statue from the merchant. I was able to buy a second one from him (collect 'em all!) and then go through the whole decompression process with Triss, only instead of a guy appearing it went "stand back..." "..." --> Geralt and Triss standing around (with control returned, thankfully).

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
So I just found out that when you reach the worlds end and the map pops up that you can use it to fast travel. I'm 100 hours in :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait you mean if you try to ride off the edge of the map? In that case I finished the game without learning that so good job.

Would have been really useful when I, like so many others, tried to reach that giant tree in southeast Velen.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Sindai posted:

Wait you mean if you try to ride off the edge of the map? In that case I finished the game without learning that so good job.

Would have been really useful when I, like so many others, tried to reach that giant tree in southeast Velen.

Yeah i was getting one of the schematics in Kaer that was in nowhere and no way to get back. It popped up and I clicked the post and voila.

And you can't get up to that tree? I was hoping you could

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Captain Duvel posted:

Yeah i was getting one of the schematics in Kaer that was in nowhere and no way to get back. It popped up and I clicked the post and voila.

And you can't get up to that tree? I was hoping you could

You can, just not from the more likely angles that you'll approach it from. It's also late-game quest related.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Taear posted:

I don't know, I can't remember which quest that is.

That's the one involving the lighthouse on peninsula that points north, west of Kaer Trolde. I spelled it wrong, it's Eldburg.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Twobirds posted:

That's the one involving the lighthouse on peninsula that points north, west of Kaer Trolde. I spelled it wrong, it's Eldburg.

Quest owns. Anyone doing that one - make sure you search the whole thing before you go back to talk to the dude.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

JetsGuy posted:

Quest owns. Anyone doing that one - make sure you search the whole thing before you go back to talk to the dude.

When is that ever not what you should do in these games?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

pik_d posted:

When is that ever not what you should do in these games?

The first thing you search puts your waypoint back on the guy--look around more so you get the full story

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

King Bahamut posted:

The first thing you search puts your waypoint back on the guy--look around more so you get the full story

???? I'm saying that you should always search everything in these games. Leave no cabinet closed, no chest unopened, no weird root planted.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I didn't, and was swayed by Geralt's repeated comments to the effect of, "who gives a poo poo, we need to get rid of the monster" and didn't reload.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twobirds posted:

I didn't, and was swayed by Geralt's repeated comments to the effect of, "who gives a poo poo, we need to get rid of the monster" and didn't reload.
Finding out what caused the curse is, like, the number one rule of making sure the curse doesn't come back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Finding out what caused the curse is, like, the number one rule of making sure the curse doesn't come back.

This game has a recurring theme of "When someone tells you that something is a simple, black and white matter, they are full of poo poo".

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

pik_d posted:

???? I'm saying that you should always search everything in these games. Leave no cabinet closed, no chest unopened, no weird root planted.

Sure but more than one person in this very thread have said they ran right back. In fact Geralt himself says, "better go back" when u inspect the exterior marker

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

This game has a recurring theme of "When someone tells you that something is a simple, black and white matter, they are full of poo poo".

I kinda wish with the leshen in Skellige I listened to the elder and tried to appease it. Then again I wouldn't have gotten to kill the leshen. Those dwarfs who kill the elders while ur gone are poo poo and I wish I could have killed them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I mean, the elders were wrong, it was bad to leave the dangerous monster out there to murder people because...tradition, but that doesn't mean they deserved to die. :(

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

I usually do, it didn't seem like a big deal in this case. I'll be impressed if I visit the Isles again and have to do the same thing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Weeeelp. Done and done.

Level 35, 150 hours played (jesus.) I can't believe I've been playing this game on and off for 1 1/2 months. Can't think of the last single player game that I played for that long that remained consistently interesting and compelling the whole way through.

Did almost everything, skipped most of the "?" in the water in Skellege cause gently caress. that. poo poo.

Went totally spoiler-free the whole way through and I'm pretty happy with my ending:

Ciri survived, Geralt got her a pretty new Witcher sword and her and Geralt went off to hunt monsters together. Now, Ciri is the ashen-haired witcher-ess :3:

Geralt ended up with Yenn and happy.

Nilfguard conquered the North, Emperor did his thing and Temeria is a free nation again.

Don't think it could have played out better, really.

Now, I totally want a Witcher 3 where I get to play as Ciri.

Act 3 did feel a little odd, like I said before, but I think a big part of its oddness is I went off and did a lot of the "character" quests in Act 1, so when the time came to round up a posse for Kaer Morhen everyone was all "ok. I'll help" so Act 2 was super short, so Act 3 felt out of place cause it was longer.

Definitely the oddest story beat was Ciri telling you about the feast out of nowhere, that hadn't been foreshadowed or hinted at and suddenly you're hunting the Wild Hunt's General at a backwoods-party. Other than that, Act 3 felt like a nice build up to the finale.

Not sure what Enhanced Edition tweaks they could do to the story, there's no clear dropping of the story-ball or rushed parts like there were in Witcher 2.

All in all 10/10, RPG of the year for me.

Bring on the story DLC!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snuffman posted:

Definitely the oddest story beat was Ciri telling you about the feast out of nowhere, that hadn't been foreshadowed or hinted at and suddenly you're hunting the Wild Hunt's General at a backwoods-party. Other than that, Act 3 felt like a nice build up to the finale.

Ciri has a history with the Wild Hunt elves, Eredin and Imlerith, so it's not that weird that she would know where they celebrate on certain holidays

Even death metal trans-dimensional space-elves party sometimes.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
The Ladies also draw heavily from Baba Yaga stories which occasionally include some male henchmen who enjoy being wined 'n dined, apparently. It's probably one of those things that's not so much out of nowhere for Slavic audiences, just doesn't translate so well.

I'm still trying to work out what exactly was going on there with regards to (Bald Mountain) the young people who go up the mountain, then get new names/identities and leave the village. You see the cauldron of blood and one of the Ladies cradling a severed head, so I take it they don't survive? Are they just illusions that go briefly back to the village? Why would the ladies bother fooling people who are already willing to feed them children? Or are they resurrected in some way? Used as vessels for evil spirits? Wild Hunt witness protection program? Confusing. Maybe there's a book that explains it, I'm on console so I rarely read those.

e: in thinking about it, that might just be another Baba Yaga thing where anyone can ask her/them favors, but only those blessed or pure of heart get their wish, and everybody else gets eaten. So the ones who survive probably mostly have wishes relating to getting the gently caress out of Velen, and the villagers passively write off the not-so-pure casualties the way they do everything else.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 14, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The party was also mentioned back in Witcher 2. It was where Geralt, Letho and his mates killed a bunch of the Wild Hunt, found out they weren't wraiths but space elves and where Geralt joined them to save Yen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
See, now I'm gonna have to replay TW2 yet again because I sure don't remember that, and I'm sure there's a ton of other foreshadowing that didn't make much of an impression at the time.

So Alchemy build is pretty great. I'm most of the way through my Death March playthrough and can stack three decoctions plus pop the usual Swallow/Tawny Owl in combat without losing any health to toxicity, and I've only put points into four talents (Heightened Tolerance, Refreshment, Acquired Tolerance, Tissue Transmutation). For a boss fight build I can't really see a point in going deeper in the tree. Having a lot of fun facetanking, most of the time I skip Quen and just whack 'em with a strong attack if I need health.

Decoctions that regen health on damage also count damage from status effects (poison, bleed, fire) :ssh: